As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What (and Why) do you drink, SE++? [Alcohol]

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
My fellow alcoholicans, I come to you with a question: what do you drink?

Do you drink vodka? Do you drink whiskey? Do you drink beer? Do you drink urine?

I want to know. Nay, I am dying to know. Tell me your poison of choice, and thereby help me not die.

I myself am (not) enjoying a bottle of rich, thick Carolinas Irish Cream. It's awful. I can't stop drinking it. I started drinking sometime around 11:00 this evening. I'm happy to report I've successfully imbibed almost 25% of this wretched liqueur. May Odin spit upon whoever concocted this foul, alcohol-infused abomination.

Now I know what some (read: less than 3) of you are thinking: why are you drinking something you hate so much, Hacksaw? Surely there must be some reason why you're inflicting beverage-based punishment upon yourself.

Well, dear reader(s), there really isn't. Right now I just have a powerful need to get drunk, and this is my only recourse. I, sadly, live in a state (Washington) where the alcohol laws are strict, which means getting booze past a certain hour outside of, say, a tavern, is very difficult. Unless you like beer, of course. They're still allowed to sell those in supermarkets.

(I don't like beer all that much)

So what about you, SE++? What are you drinking tonight, and why?

Tell me.

Hacksaw on

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No, No, yes and only for sexual pleasure.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i will drink basically anything that is not a dark beer

it can be really cheap and crappy or expensive and tasty

except...NO STEEL RESERVE

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    You should probably like beer.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Drinks?? Well I finished up for the night a while ago but this is what I was sippin on:

lagunitas_IPA.jpg

it is my very favorite

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am trying a crazy plan at the moment.

Don't drink all the time.

I suppose you could say it's going both well and bad.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    let's also give a big up to ciders

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Didge what are you still doing up??

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    It's not that late! It's only 12:20

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Don't like beer much.

I know, I know you have to learn to like it but I just don't want to force it down when I could be drinking something I enjoy. I have had beer I like, but it is all fancy imports and I am a college kid so my choices are pretty much Keystone or Miller.

Vodka is pretty great.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Scotch at home, gin and tonics at the bar.

I really couldn't tell you why, though.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    on good nights, bourbon on the rocks or a nice 6-pack of beer from bevmo

on bad nights, mickey's, steel reserve, or olde english

i either drink like a gentleman or i drink like a bum

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Whisky is what I am about. I'll drink some bourbon or some rye in an old fashioned though.

Beer and cocktails is how I get it done when out and about. There's a decent micro brewery where I like to put up my feet and knock back a few. It costs more, but I don't mind spending cash on things that are actually enjoyable. There's a tiki bar that serves great cocktails. Even more expensive, so I don't go often, but when I do, I like to drink a goddamned Planter's Punch.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Wanna make the Chris Sims' Grass Starter Special

Ingredients:
    Bulbasaur-
    1/2 shot lime vodka
    1/4 shot lime juice
    1/4 shot melon liqueur 
    Ivysaur-
    1 shot lime vodka
    1 shot lime juice
    1 shot melon liqueur
    1 shot sprite
    Venusaur-
    1 Bulbasaur
    1 Ivysaur
    1 shot lime vodka
    1 shot lime juice
    1 shot sprite 

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    It's not that late! It's only 12:20

hrmmmmm. we'll let it slide this time.

And the people in tinychat saw what I'm drinking tonight!

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I will drink most anything EXCEPT for light dumb beers like IPAs and tequila. HATE lighter beers and tequila makes me sick.

Give me a nice strong porter, I'm a happy man.

Also whiskey/whisky, gin, scotch, rum and a good smooth vodka are all ok in my book.

However, I'm not drinking tonight, I've got work tomorrow. Maybe Friday!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Vesper martini

Louisiana Manhattan

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    pabst

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    never be sober again

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i like drinking a lot, but i said some things i regret the last time i got smashed and that, combined with new medication, means that i have to stop for now. i can maybe nurse a pint but that's it.

i'm a big fan of the breweries in Vancouver, though. Granville Island, Whistler, and Okanagan Spring all make pretty great beers. There are also a few microbreweries/bars here too.

I like Jamesons and Jack Daniels when it comes to the hard stuff.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote:
    let's also give a big up to ciders
    Rekorderlig Cider recently arrived in my city

it is unbelievable

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Right now I just have a powerful need to get drunk, and this is my only recourse.

this actually worries me.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I tend to drink things that start with R. Rye, rum, rVodka.

Sometimes a good beer is nice, but i've cut back on my drinking over the years. Sure i drank too much at my aunt's wedding, but it was a farce and my cousin is a really bad influence.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    I tend to drink things that start with R. Rye, rum, rVodka.

Raccoons, Roy Rogers, raspberry juice....

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I actually don't really drink that much during the year except during DragonCon wherein I am three sheets to the wind for four days straight followed by 3 months of not being able to touch the creature because oh god I don't think I've ever been so sick blaaaagggghghh

• Options
    i don't know about where you're from, but raccoon aren't liquid in canada.

• Options
    Six week old dead ones are.

Gonna make you a smoothie melding.

• Options
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Let's see.
    Beer. Beer is good. Go-to beverage is Sierra Nevada. IPAs are too bitter for me, which probably makes me a giant wussy man. I do like normal pale ales. One beer popular around here I hate is Fat Tire, just has a terrible aftertaste to me. Wheat beers are also good, as well as foreign beers. My favorite beer in the world is the St. Bernadus Abt 12.
    2530.jpg
    It has a laughing monk on the bottle, so it has to be good, right?

I also will drink things with gin in them, though admittedly the only gin I've ever tried straight up is Hendrick's. I like my martinis a little wetter than most, but definitely better with gin and stirred, of course. Gin and tonics are key when you're at a bar with a limited selection of beer and you need a long drink that doesn't suck. Also refreshing as hell when it's warm.

I also like bourbon. A lot. I have been trying lots of different bourbons lately. My favorite is Buffalo Trace.
    1031933x.jpg
    In an effort to diversify I've also tried Elijah Craig (too smooth, but probably a good starter non rotgut bourbon) and Bulleit. Bulleit is pretty good too - it's spicier due to some added rye. I haven't tried any rye straight up, but I keep some around so I can make Manhattans, which I find to be too sweet with bourbon. I also know a couple places that will make an Old Fashioned the way it's supposed to be made, which is also delicious.

Edit: I should also note I drink wine, but generally only when out to eat since I can't really put away a bottle of wine by myself. Well, I probably could, but still. Also, there is no shortage of microbreweries around here as well. I generally always go for a local beer first if they're available - finding a good local beer is one of the first things I do when I travel. The rise of craft brewing over the last 10-20 years has been one of the best things to happen to this country.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    alright, if you're having one too i'm down.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Right now I just have a powerful need to get drunk, and this is my only recourse.

this actually worries me.
    Good thing all I've got is shitty Irish cream, then! Otherwise I might be in real trouble.

• Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Crown Royal or Jack Daniels. Love me some whiskey.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Vodka:
    russian-standard.jpg

Whisky:
    ballantines.jpg

Cider:
    Magners.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    czech beer>mexican beer>german beer>italian beer>other euro lagers>white rum>shochu>real ales>microbrews>white wine>red wine>wheatbeers>trappist beers>gin>pretty much everything else (mixed up in a big jug, please)>australian draught lager

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I am drinking a Miller Lite!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Gin.

Cause I like the taste.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    I don't drink often but when I do I tend to drink cider for the most part

Current favourite for hot weather is Bulmer's Limited Edition Red Apple which is a very sweet cider and is real easy drinking on a warm day. Most places have run out now but I have stocked up on around 24 bottles. A almost as sweet cider from South Africa called Savannah Dry has come onto the market here recently and is actually not too bad though lacks a bit of crispness to the flavour.

Been testing out Welsh cider (seidr) recently and came across Rosie's Triple D which is a fantastic sharp, crisp cider but I've struggled to find it locally.

When I'm out drinking and want to get tanked my drink of choice is a tequila/vodka/energy-drink mix which most people think is vile but I love. Mostly because I actually enjoy drinking tequila : b

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    1/2 Liqour 1/2 Whatever.

It seems to work almost all the time. Quite wonderful really.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My gums are terrible and fizzy drinks actually cause them pain (plus I don't like the sensation anyway, it makes me sick).

So I only drink non-fizzy stuff, which with alcohol means I am rather limited. I don't really like wine, so spirits for me, generally with a fruit mixer.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote:
    czech beer>mexican beer>german beer>italian beer>other euro lagers>white rum>shochu>real ales>microbrews>white wine>red wine>wheatbeers>trappist beers>gin>pretty much everything else (mixed up in a big jug, please)>australian draught lager

You forgot Toohey's Old.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    How the hell are Trappist beers so low down on that list???

broken image link