As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Penny Arcade Comic for Monday August 15th, 2011

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I understand why some parents feel the leash thing is necessary but damned if I don't feel embarrassed for them every time I see it happening out in public.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I guess I can respect the leash a little if the other option is to cart them around in a stroller like a sack of groceries. At least they're getting exercise.

After a certain age, though they should be able to walk around without being restrained.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    once my kid can run around unaided you bet your ass I am slapping a leash on him when we're out and about.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote:
    I don't see the problem with putting your kid on a leash. My mom tied a rope around my waist because I was a stupid kid like all other stupid kids..

Find a way to make this a Whomp.

• Options
    Fandeathis wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:
    I don't see the problem with putting your kid on a leash. My mom tied a rope around my waist because I was a stupid kid like all other stupid kids. There's not always a buggy to stick them in, and it only takes a second of distraction for the kid to run away or follow another skirt. I think it's pretty cruel to look down on people who want extra insurance to protect their kid.

Or you could not treat your kids like a pet, and watch them closely like a responsible adult! This isn't a dig against you or your parents btw. It's just my personal perspective on the matter.

*is not a parent*

*has no idea what having kids is like*

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Fandeathis wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:
    I don't see the problem with putting your kid on a leash. My mom tied a rope around my waist because I was a stupid kid like all other stupid kids. There's not always a buggy to stick them in, and it only takes a second of distraction for the kid to run away or follow another skirt. I think it's pretty cruel to look down on people who want extra insurance to protect their kid.

Or you could not treat your kids like a pet, and watch them closely like a responsible adult! This isn't a dig against you or your parents btw. It's just my personal perspective on the matter.

That's what it always comes down to though, 'watch them closely.' Can you honestly say you'll be looking at them all the time? You can't even look at the label on a bag of peas because you're watching your kid like a hawk. Especially at the register where you're putting stuff on the counter, digging through your purse/wallet for money, speaking to the clerk, handling money/swiping credit cards, loading up your buggy with bags, even the most responsible adult is going to have averted attention.

Edit: I should point out that I don't have kids.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Adus wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:
    I don't see the problem with putting your kid on a leash. My mom tied a rope around my waist because I was a stupid kid like all other stupid kids..

Find a way to make this a Whomp.

I've tried. It just comes off as preachy. I'm comfortable being preachy in a forum, but I don't like doing it in my comic.

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote:

My daughter is two years old and we use one of those monkey backpack leashes for places like the airport. She is only 2 but has been on 12 planes and about 7 different airports across the country. We mainly use the umbrella stroller through the airport and then once at the gate set up shop away from others and try to keep her in a single location, but when you have a 3 hour layover and she is super hyper we don't want to resort to punishing her constantly for wanting to move around and explore, and having everyone else in the vacinity have to listen to our 2 year old WAIL and WAIL because we told her she HAS to sit in her stroller or that she HAS to stay right here in this 4 x 4 foot area, or b/c she is put in time-out.

If we let her walk freely she will be good for a bit, but she is 2, if you try to corral her she will think it's a game where you chase her, if you grab her she will wail and throw herself down. These are all normal 2 year old things and we don't stand for it at home or in a store, she goes to time out. If we put the backpack/leash on her then she doesn't seem to have a problem with the restraint like she does with us physically holding her back. This way there is no crying baby to bother others.

We do it for everyone else's sake. She never cries on the plane and last month of the 4 planes roundtrip she sleep on 3 of them, the 4th she watched mickey mouse club house on my ipad. We get nothing but compliments on the plane. It's in the terminal and waiting thats the problem.

I can't think of any other time other than one time at the zoo that we have used the leash. Typically it's stroller at festivals, zoos, malls, what have you, and she is fine with that. If she ever gets cranky and we can't calm her down we leave. That's the price we pay.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    god this shit is why I'm never having kids

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Fandeathis wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:

That's what it always comes down to though, 'watch them closely.' Can you honestly say you'll be looking at them all the time? You can't even look at the label on a bag of peas because you're watching your kid like a hawk. Especially at the register where you're putting stuff on the counter, digging through your purse/wallet for money, speaking to the clerk, handling money/swiping credit cards, loading up your buggy with bags, even the most responsible adult is going to have averted attention.

You know, I hear people say stuff like this and then I go out in public and I see parents with their kids not wandering all over the fucking place and not on a leash and actually interacting with and paying attention to their kids while they're shopping for groceries for instance. So I'm not buying the excuses.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Well, good luck with that.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    But Dru how could we ever understand the complexities and struggles of parenthood in this modern society where child-rearing and interaction are so totally, like, different and stuff.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I was taught not to act out in public or misbehave because I knew my parents were absolutely willing to give me a smack if I got unruly. A few sharp lessons and I quickly learned that sitting in silence was preferable to causing a fuss.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    At the same time, some kids, despite being properly taught and disciplined may have a momentary lapse in judgment that could lead to a serious situation. It is just strange to me how someone could be more worried about being shamed by a leash than the almost guaranteed safety of their child.

I'm not saying you have to use a leash, but it's pretty lame to judge someone because they use one.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Look, maybe you live in some land of mystical robot children, but down here in parent land, kids can be real shits. They run around constantly and loudly, try to hide from you for fun, and will take advantage of any time they see you not looking at you. Seemingly easy tasks become tiresome chores, because on top of doing this one thing you are also actively trying to not let your kids kill themselves. You can't reason with them, you can't argue with them, because they don't actually have working brains. They have child brains that are still mostly wood. It's not like you can say "Oh hey, son, please do not run away from me. You are still small and do not need to be away from my supervision." and they'll be like "oh ok Father, I completely understand and agree"

What they'll do is spit in your face, laugh, and then kick your shins and run as fast as they can

Which is pretty damn fast

Having your kid on a leash is hardly some kind of ridiculous show of lazy parenting, and if you think so, you're being silly. Not all children are little angels, and even if they're manageable one day, or even for one outing they'll be totally different the next.

• Options
    Rolo wrote:
    I was taught not to act out in public or misbehave because I knew my parents were absolutely willing to give me a smack if I got unruly. A few sharp lessons and I quickly learned that sitting in silence was preferable to causing a fuss.

not when you were two you didn't. Two year olds don't give a shit, and if you slap them they just cry louder.

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:

This is how I was raised, and how I will raise my children. And if some hippie-ass douche-bag tells me that I shouldn't smack my kids in public, I will tell him to fuck off so brutally that he will never make that mistake again.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    rfilyaw wrote:
    At the same time, some kids, despite being properly taught and disciplined may have a momentary lapse in judgment that could lead to a serious situation. It is just strange to me how someone could be more worried about being shamed by a leash than the almost guaranteed safety of their child.

I'm not saying you have to use a leash, but it's pretty lame to judge someone because they use one.

Would your kids wear helmets when going up and down stairs?

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Kids learn by getting hurt. People learn by being hurt in general. Is our society forgetting this?

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    I will feed my kids only organic granola. We will crap into sand buckets to fertilize our own oats and sugar cane and whatever else goes into granola.

• Options
    Langly wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

not when you were two you didn't. Two year olds don't give a shit, and if you slap them they just cry louder.

From the age when I was old enough to understand language, this is pretty much the policy my parents have had.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Rolo wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:

Until they're good at walking, I'd think kids would live on the ground floor and have the upstairs be off limits, no?

Mostly the leash concern is for pedophiles and other things like that. Stores being as crowded as they are nowadays, it's easier for a creep to get a lost kid and pretend he's taking them to the customer service desk. As for physical harm like hitting your head knocked in from a fall, I've always laughed when kids fell. They're bouncy. Their bones are a bit more pliable and a lot stronger than older adults. They also have a lot of growing and healing left in them.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Langly wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

you aren't hitting them hard enough. clearly. Hard enough and they'll stop crying all together. problem solved.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    rfilyaw wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:

Until they're good at walking, I'd think kids would live on the ground floor and have the upstairs be off limits, no?

yeah but they could slip and fall down the stairs at any age

guaranteed safety means helmets until they're at least in their teens

• Options
    I don't really understand the argument here.

People aren't saying to put a leash on your small children, you leash toddlers. kids that are running around but are basically block heads, year 1-3 max.

No one is suggesting leash your preschooler, they're talking about babies who walk.

• Options
    Langly wrote:

People aren't saying to put a leash on your small children, you leash toddlers. kids that are running around but are basically block heads, year 1-3 max.

No one is suggesting leash your preschooler, they're talking about babies who walk.

I see leashed 4-5 year olds at malls and such on a pretty regular basis.

• Options
    No no, kids should be leashed until they graduate high school, or are emancipated. That's what McCauly Culkin had to do.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    For stairs, my parents and siblings operated on a stairgate policy. While they're not old enough to manage stairs on their own, they don't get to climb the stairs without supervision. When they are old/stable enough, they can use the stairs as they please.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Langly wrote:

heh, I've seen kids at least 5 or 6 on leashes.

I am not exaggerating here. It's incredibly common to see, most notably in the more mexican areas, around here anyway.

Fucking children with honest to god leashes clipped to a belt around their waist. All I can think is "That kid is old enough to just unhook that catch... what the fuck? How stupid does the kid have to be not to realize that?"

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Every time the issue of kids and parenting comes up everybody gets so fucking angry. This despite the fact that most of the conniptioneers have no children and proudly proclaim they will never have children.

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    Langly wrote:

heh, I've seen kids at least 5 or 6 on leashes.

I am not exaggerating here. It's incredibly common to see, most notably in the more mexican areas, around here anyway.

Fucking children with honest to god leashes clipped to a belt around their waist. All I can think is "That kid is old enough to just unhook that catch... what the fuck? How stupid does the kid have to be not to realize that?"

well that is stupid.

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Wait, so is the newspost/comic up? I'm not seeing anything new on the mainpage.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    This was an OK comic.

• Options
    Newspost repost for the benefit of anybody having trouble seeing it on the new site for whatever reason.
    When discussing today’s digimal realms, and the dangers which lurk therein, the general response (and one we have relied upon with great frequency and considerable flourish) is to lay the task of pruning an increasingly horrifying world at the foot of the parent. I’m not saying that this is wrong; who else would do it? Who else could? But I can tell you from personal experience that it’s not possible to hermetically shield these organisms. For one thing, they need oxygen.

The victory condition, the highest goal you can achieve, is to make your children exactly as fucked up as you are.

Every generation believes that they’ve got it worse in some way, and it’s important to resist that idea. It’s important to establish, though, that we’ve got it way worse. Some parallels kind of jump out at you: you can graph the line “Moral Panics” from big band to jazz to the comics code to Dungeons and Dragons to rap to vidyagames pretty clearly. Cultures are allergic to novelty. My grandfather had no girls, and no cups, and now we’ve got more of both.

My mother would have imagined a harrowing future based on her existing knowledge, and extrapolated from there. I.e., she would imagine that there would someday be a video that had, let’s say, nine girls and four cups. Then, she would gird herself for that possibility. But that’s not how it works: what happens between the time you endure a thing and generate antibodies for that thing is that something infinitely worse begins to drip and leak in the dark, feeding on itself, growing larger thereby.

For example - and I’m just pulling the top card off the deck - an international, virtually unregulated data network accessible through virtually any modern computer might be developed.

Just as, like, an example.

On a warez copy of Killing Game Show, I found a HAM mode image of a woman that was my constant companion for the next three years. Gabriel went to the store and bought a copy of Netscape from a software retailer that no longer exists, and the first thing he searched for was “boobs.” “I wasn’t thinking,” he told me later. “If I’d had my head on,” he suggested over a hot plate of Kay’s, “I would have typed vaginas.”

(CW)TB out.

• Options
    Same thing with grown ass kids in strollers

feet rubbin the wheels. Just makes me shake my damn head.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    Same thing with grown ass kids in strollers

feet rubbin the wheels. Just makes me shake my damn head.

Lysa-Robin-game-of-thrones-21930343-637-353.png

nothing wrong with a bit of suckling before puberty

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Look, maybe you live in some land of mystical robot children, but down here in parent land, kids can be real shits. They run around constantly and loudly, try to hide from you for fun, and will take advantage of any time they see you not looking at you. Seemingly easy tasks become tiresome chores, because on top of doing this one thing you are also actively trying to not let your kids kill themselves. You can't reason with them, you can't argue with them, because they don't actually have working brains. They have child brains that are still mostly wood. It's not like you can say "Oh hey, son, please do not run away from me. You are still small and do not need to be away from my supervision." and they'll be like "oh ok Father, I completely understand and agree"

What they'll do is spit in your face, laugh, and then kick your shins and run as fast as they can

Which is pretty damn fast

Having your kid on a leash is hardly some kind of ridiculous show of lazy parenting, and if you think so, you're being silly. Not all children are little angels, and even if they're manageable one day, or even for one outing they'll be totally different the next.
    Langly's kid is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i swear to god, if my kid starts looking for Sarah Connor, i won't be using just a leash.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    actually, i think what i'd do with my kid is this:

"ok son/daughter, i'm going to show you what's out there. what horrors you face."

<sits son down in front of PC>

<loads up /b/ on 4chan>

"look at this. look at this hive of scum and villainry. these are idiots. you want to be more than this."

<loads up goatse>

"this here? this is EVERY SINGLE PERVERT ON THE INTERNETS. when some random dude named 'luvrboi42' chats you up and wants to meet at a hotel, it's this guy. he will be a gaping anus."

if my kid starts crying profusely at this point, i've done my job. he or she will be frightened from using the internet ever again.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    what happens if he is fascinated, and wants more

This discussion has been closed.