As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures OT. OP Update: Skylanders Cloud Patrol for IOS Out

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Axon wrote: »
    I'm having SERIOUS portal issues. I got a copy for my step-son on launch day - Xbox one - and the portal would kinda bug out when you would trap a villain, and it would not make any sound (though I could hear it crackling like it was trying to). My step son immediately grabbed the trap out of the portal once we had captured sheep creep, which I think played a role.

No biggie right? I return the entire stater pack for a new one. Set it up and plug it in. Ohhh, sound from the portal. Yes! Wait, no. Using this portal that actually has sound freezes my entire xbox for some reason.

I had a dark edition sitting at work, with the intention of surprising him with it at Christmas. So I took the portal out of there. AGAIN, no sound, though it does not freeze the system.

I unfortunately do not know anyone else with an xbox one to experiment with. Any thoughts? Has anyone heard of this issue? I'm seeing a LOT of reported bugs from the launch.

First I've heard of it. Have you tried changing the plug in slot or cleaning it out maybe?

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    My son received Trap Team for Xmas. I agree with most of what Magic Pink said. The biggest difference is my son and I like this a lot more than Swap Force. Swap Force had the better figurines and was less of a money grab, but everything else is better in Trap Team. The villains are great, the levels are better, the graphics look better, etc. We are only through the fourth level, but I feel as though Trap Team is a bit easier than Swap Force.

Other things: the tower defense game is fun. While the villain dialog is fantastic, the dialog from Flynn and Cali is very hackneyed.

I have never played the original game, but I would say Trap Team > Giants >>> Swap Force.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Does anyone still play/collect these things? We don't play it anymore and figure I'd offer up the figures to forum peeps before regular internet(Craigslist or ebay). Have 1 Giant figure and 14 regular game dudes. Can be yours for paying shipping. I can list out which ones later over PM if anyone is interested.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    So the new game has been announced: Skylanders Superchargers.

Skylanders-Supercharders-Starter-Pack.png

Just adds vehicles and turns it into a racing game. Kind dull in my opinion.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I hope to avoid this iteration... I'm kinda afraid that we'll be sucked into the Lego version of Skylanders thing once it is out though.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I got no interest in LEGO. I like the Diablo lite of Skylanders just fine. But this just isn't interesting at all.

• Options
    Trapping the bad guys was my son's favorite portion of the last game and that appears to be gone from the next game. He hated the flying and shooting portions of the previous games, so he may not even want this. Then again, they sure know how to advertise to kids.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    The villain dialogue from the traps was freaking hilarious in Trap Team.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The villain dialogue from the traps was freaking hilarious in Trap Team.

No doubt. I was hoping they would concentrate on a villain version of the game. Minifigures of Broccoli Guy and Painyatta would be a hit. We actually got happy meals the other day just to get the Painyatta and Wolfgang toys.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    I'm still hoping for an eventual Kaos side game along with his figure.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    How's the stability of the PS3 version? I saw that PS3 Infinity was crash-o-rama, is trap team ok?

• Options
    Well, new game is out and it's fun! I thought I would hate the racing bits and I sort of do but they aren't bad, certainly a step up from Swap Force's mini games. The only downside is all the characters are pretty dull except for Fiesta in his Coffin Cruiser.
    maxresdefault.jpg

You can actually set the horn to play the theme from Halloween.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I picked up Trap Team late, so I'm gonna miss a lot of stuff because some things are impossible to get now without paying (such as light & dark traps).

With Superchargers, it sounds like the only extra stuff needed is a boat and a jet. Note to Activision, when I'm less concerned about figuring out what I need to play your game, I'm more likely to just pick up what I want.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, I have NO idea why they made the Light and Dark stuff so damn rare.

But so far in superchargers there's no "gated" content whatsoever except for certain upgrades for vehicles only unlock if you also own the driver and, yeah, you need one Land, one Sea and one Sky vehicle.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink,

How hard is it to drive and fly? My son is absolutely terrible at Mario Kart, but did well with the previous Skylanders shooting from ships control.

Thanks!

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    So is it possible to have a split-screen race?

• Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Magic Pink,

How hard is it to drive and fly? My son is absolutely terrible at Mario Kart, but did well with the previous Skylanders shooting from ships control.

Thanks!

Um, it's pretty typical so if he didn't like Mario Kart I can't imagine this would be any different.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    So is it possible to have a split-screen race?

Yup.
    skylanders-superchargers-split-screen.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    So is there any platforming or is it entirely mario kart?

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wii and 3DS are entirely racing; everything else has platforming and fighting, too.

There are arena sections for the cars that play different from the Mario Kart racing style. Apparently it tested well with kids, but it's trickier for adults to get the hang of.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Wow, I just hopped back into this game after the new batch of figures came out and they really changed some stuff up with the 1.04 patch. They made a lot of quality of life changes to make everything quicker and now there's little quests for all the characters, basically just kill X enemies with Y power but that's still pretty nice.

• Options
    Wow the new Skylanders for this year sounds AMAZING.
    A day after launching Spyro’s Adventure, the inaugural release in the Skylanders series, developer Toys for Bob was bombarded with a common request from fans. “They wanted to make their own Skylanders,” says Lou Studdert of Activison’s production team. “They sent us art of what their Skylanders looked like, and info on how they played, what they sounded like, and what their catch phrases were. They came up with all of those things that we spend so much time making a Skylander out of; they wanted that power. This year we are giving them that power.”

The ability to create your own Skylanders may sound like a joke, since the survival of this series depends on selling figures, but that’s exactly what Toys for Bob is doing in Skylanders Imaginators. Players can still purchase new characters at retail, but Toys for Bob is hoping they also buy in on a new physical item called the Creation Crystal. When this item is placed on the Portal of Power for the first time, a character doesn’t appear. Instead, you are warped to a character-creation menu where you design your own Skylander. That character’s data is saved to the Creation Crystal, an ordinary-looking glass tube with a small, colored “Imaginite” element inside of it. Only one character can be saved to each Creation Crystal, meaning you need to buy 10 different Crystals if you want to create a character for each of the 10 elemental types featured in the game (each retailing for $9.99).

The creation process begins with the player selecting a battle class from 10 options, such as ninja or smasher. Combining the 10 classes with the 10 elemental types gives players 100 options out of the gate. Next up is the customization phase, which is broken down into body, gear, color, powers, and personality options. These categories give way to a wealth of fun choices. The body sculpting allows players to mix and match heads, arms, legs, chests, eyes, and ears. The options cover the gamut, from bird and bug parts to snow and stink themes. The finer tweaks allow players to alter the size and color of the individual parts, as well as the voice and catch phrase (which can be assembled from a limited selection of words). New customization items are unlocked through loot chests found in the levels, but may also be dropped randomly by enemies. The items that drop are also random, and fall into the common, rare, epic, and mythic categories. Some of the drops are tied specifically to battle classes.

If the proposal of a custom Skylander doesn’t interest you and you’d rather play the game in the traditional way with an action figure created by Toys for Bob, Skylanders Imaginators welcomes 31 new characters called Senseis (retailing for $14.99 each). Standing in at roughly the same height as the Giants and Trap Team figures, the Sensei are some of the most powerful beings in Skylands, and they all favor black and gold outfit colors. They are the only characters capable of unleashing new special attacks called Sky Chi.

We were introduced to three Sensei: Master Kingpen, a giant penguin-like warrior; Master Tri-tip, a triceratops wielding a mace; and Golden Queen, the sorcerer boss from Skylanders Trap Team. She’s joined the Skylanders after being rehabilitated for two years. Studdert says other bosses will likely get figures, and didn’t rule out the idea of Kaos finally getting his due, even though he is the antagonist of this caper.

Outside of the custom characters and Sensei, Skylanders Imaginators follows the same gameplay we’ve seen in all of the other Skylanders games. All of the multiplayer racing content from SuperChargers is included in Imaginators, but the vehicles won’t have any effect on the campaign.

• Options
    Trying to figure out if the Villains can be used as Senseis, or if they're making them just because people wanted physical versions of the Trap Team Villains. It sounds like the Villains might be superfluous?

So a Starter + 9 Crystals + 9 Senseis to train them. That's reasonable, factoring in sales.

Now if you wanted immediate access to a custom of each Class/Element combo...ouch.

• Options
    I'm guessing they're just making some physical versions that have the full level up stuff. I'd much prefer that myself, especially one of Kaos.

• Options
    Sounds like 20 Senseis and 11 Villains.

That 1 kinda stands out...

• Options
    Sounds like 20 Senseis and 11 Villains.

That 1 kinda stands out...

Nah, just 31 Sensei total, some of them may be old villain characters is the thing.

• Options
    Pretty sure most places are saying 20 and 11. Now, that could just be the gaming press parroting something unfounded, but it makes sense.

2 Senseis of each Element/Class (similar to the Swappers and Trap Masters)

1 Villain of each Element (and possibly class).

That leaves 1 Villain all alone. And possibly outside of the Element/Class system. Sounds like Kaos to me.

• Options
    Pretty sure most places are saying 20 and 11. Now, that could just be the gaming press parroting something unfounded, but it makes sense.

2 Senseis of each Element/Class (similar to the Swappers and Trap Masters)

1 Villain of each Element (and possibly class).

That leaves 1 Villain all alone. And possibly outside of the Element/Class system. Sounds like Kaos to me.

Certainly sounds right to me.

• Options
  • Options
    Sweet, the Villains also function as Senseis. So really only 8 other figures needed.

• Options
    Looks like Dark Edition will have one more figure, the guitar playing werewolf, and two more creation crystals, a Dark one and a Life one.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Looks like the "secret" extra villain may end being Crash Bandicoot. A tab on the European Skylanders Imaginators paged was titled "Crash"; it didn't work and was removed same day.

• Options
    I don't know. Does Sony have any control over Crash? He might be PS-exclusive.

• Options
    Skylanders Imaginators - Crash Bandicoot Edition is literally up for preorder on amazon for Playstation systems.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    That's what I get for not paying attention to gaming news and also replying to a 4 week old post. :P

• Options
    That's what I get for not paying attention to gaming news and also replying to a 4 week old post. :P

Oh shit, "I" didn't even notice either, but I appreciated the update on skylanders. I missed basically all of E3, so your post prompting me to it was nice.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Looks like Crash will be playable on all systems.

But only available (initially, I presume) in PS3/4 starters.

• Options
    So as excited as I am for Imaginators, Activision REALLY doesn't want me to buy it.

The characters you make in the creation crystals have their class locked in one you make them. You can re-create characters, but you can never change the class of the crystal which is complete bullshit.

Also, you don't find parts for making characters in game, you have to buy stupid separate plastic "treasure chests" that unlock random items for you once when you put them on the portal.

It's just the worst kind of money grubbing crap; they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So as excited as I am for Imaginators, Activision REALLY doesn't want me to buy it.

The characters you make in the creation crystals have their class locked in one you make them. You can re-create characters, but you can never change the class of the crystal which is complete bullshit.

Also, you don't find parts for making characters in game, you have to buy stupid separate plastic "treasure chests" that unlock random items for you once when you put them on the portal.

It's just the worst kind of money grubbing crap; they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

Wait, the parts to make characters are in separate purchases than the crystals/game? Well....fuck, that kind of took all/most of the wind from my sails.

akirasig.jpg