As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brainstorm a costume with me!

QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, party is Saturday, I've got my afternoons to make this costume happen. I am currently thinking being Dr Jekyl/ Mr. Hyde, modernized a bit. From the top down:
Hair: One half neatly combed/ pomaded in place, the other half gelled up as spiky and messy as I can get it.
Face: one half left alone, the other looking haggard/bruised with makeup under the eye, possibly some minor cuts if I can make them look good. I would grow half a set of facial hair and shave it, but it grows too slowly for a weeks growth to be worth it.
Body: Lab coat, one half with blood spatters/torn a bit, possibly scorch marks. I'd really like to make some fake muscles for this side, though I'm not sure the best/easiest way to do this and have it looks good. other half pristine, with a couple vials of colored solutions in the pocket.
Shoes: Thought about doing one normal, one with toes popped out, but that seems like a waste of a shoe/ uncomfortable too.

So, further ideas/refinements? Ideas on making muscles? I know you are an opinionated bunch! Post your own costume worries here if you like as well!

QuantumTurk on

• Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    Can you raise one lip and keep the other down? That would look cool. Also, you could maybe pad one side of the coat/rip it up or something.

• Options
    I like the snarled idea, but I'm not sure if my makeup skills are up to scratch/ doing it physically would both be painful and inhibit drinking.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I have always wanted this as a costume: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEfXDtDyYi8

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I've found that thrift stores like Goodwill tend to have great things for costumes. You should be able to find some shoes for a couple bucks that you can tear apart for this. I actually found an utterly hideous green suit-jacket (it was a woman's suit-jacket but it was close enough) and a tie for like 5 dollars total that completed my Riddler costume a few years ago. I'd really consider hitting them up.

For muscles, you can get surprisingly far by just stuffing cloth into places you want to look bulky. My only concern would be that it might be hard to fit stuffing into the shoulder and sleeves of a lab coat. If you're going to tear the coat apart anyway, then have vertical rips down the sleeves for the muscles to "bulge through."

• Options
    Also: a song that will permanently make it more difficult for you to say "Jekyl and Hyde"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee6ylSZMhhM&feature=fvst

• Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    You can just wear two normal shoes and wear a large, hairy slipper or something over one foot. I used to have a "bigfoot" slipper that would probably work.

I'd be a little worried that people will think you're Two-face though. The Dr. Jekyl/ Mr. Hyde thing is good but unfortunately it's also reminiscent of a later, lesser, work by Tommy Lee Jones.