As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    maybe it had a price, I just don't remember it ::shrug::

• GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    either way im sure its cheaper than splitting a hotel room by 2 people for 2 nights. plus id have my car and could store stuff in the trunk. probably go that route.

• Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It was $10 each day last year. Having your car there is the way to go; so convenient.

Susan69 on
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    What is the Scavenger Hunt, and where do I find info?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    GrimmTrixX wrote:
    Also isnt there a hotel connected almost directly to the BCEC? if so, whats its name? I was looking for hotels but the nearest one says 1 mile on pax's site so that cant be right since I thought last year there was one like 100 yards from the BCEC.

The Westin Waterfront is attached to the BCEC, but it's been sold out for probably over a month now. The hotel discussion thread also lists 3 other sold out hotels.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    This will be my first time at PAX, and I am wondering...What is one thing a first timer should absolutely NOT miss? Thanks! ^_^

It really depends what you're in to. Last year was my first PAX, and Friday AM I went to the expo hall first. I will say this: it really depends who's delivering the keynote. Last year it was Jane McGonnagal [sp?] and i kind of...wasn't interested. Plus, I got that nifty PAX-exclusive scarf that sold out real fast.

The other things I would suggest are the freeplay areas and the expo hall is fun [bring entertainment though. lines are long.] There's a TON of unofficial events that will be awesome though, too. Twitter and other social networks are your friends for those, as well as the forums.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • metashobymetashoby paRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    okay going to pax east how much begging do i need to do for cartoon network and an adventure time panel? p.s. you all heard that adventure time has a comic next month?

metashoby on
    xbl = metashoby
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    metashoby wrote:
    okay going to pax east how much begging do i need to do for cartoon network and an adventure time panel? p.s. you all heard that adventure time has a comic next month?

You would have to ask them to submit a panel request.

facebooked it... is facebooked a word? can we make it a word?

xbl = metashoby
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    And Adventure Time is relevant to PAX...how exactly?

it's fun first, second off the standard why not, third for a relatively new cartoon it has a huge following and its getting into multiple new medias, forth http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/01/04 it's there (which made me even think of it) sry your not a fan man... just though it would be cool myself

xbl = metashoby
    I didn't say I was or wasn't a fan, but at first glance, it fails the "actually has something to do with gaming" test. I would hope that Khoo and Co. would not try to emulate SDCC and have PAX include everything vaguely pop culture related.

metashoby wrote:
    it's fun first, second off the standard why not, third for a relatively new cartoon it has a huge following and its getting into multiple new medias, forth http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/01/04 it's there (which made me even think of it) sry your not a fan man... just though it would be cool myself
    Regardless of anyone's feelings, the only way to get a panel on it would be for the creators to submit a panel request. Asking for it on the forum here serves no purpose.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    I am pretty sure all tournaments at PAX are confined to a single day with different tournaments each day.
    At Prime 2011, Tabletop had at least one tournament that ran over all three days. I don't think PC or Console had any like that though. Multi-day tournaments are the exception, not the usual state of things.

The Dominion Challenge League was technically running all three days, but you could complete your entry in a single day if you so chose. Your results wouldn't be tallied until day 3 though, so for the purposes of ducker's question it would still be a difficult thing to access. We still ran a single day base-set Dominion tournament to make up for it.

I believe the Settlers championship was across all three days as well, but that was run by Mayfair, not us. Definitely plenty of tournaments that can be had in a single day! :)

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    TechnoTman wrote:
    Is there a shuttle schedule, map, or list of stops? Specifically I wanted to see if "DoubleTree by Hilton Boston Downtown" has a shuttle come by, since it isn't listed as available on the Hotels page it therefore no longer says whether or not it has shuttle access. I thought it might be helpful to have info for all shuttles if that is available.

The shuttle details were given very close to PAX last year. The DoubleTree is listed as having shuttle service.

At East 2011, the shuttle service was thus:
    Friday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm, midnight-230am
    Saturday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm, midnight-230am
    Sunday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm

I don't believe there was ever a map.

Is it OK to use a shuttle if we're not staying at that hotel?

As one of the biggest noob moments in my life, I reserved rooms at the wrong Westin (queue facepalm... in my defense, reservations were done on my mobile during a protomen concert). ^_^'

The Westin I'm at is only a few minutes walk to many of the hotels who have shuttle service.... so was wondering if that's allowed.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    MMMig wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    TechnoTman wrote:
    Is there a shuttle schedule, map, or list of stops? Specifically I wanted to see if "DoubleTree by Hilton Boston Downtown" has a shuttle come by, since it isn't listed as available on the Hotels page it therefore no longer says whether or not it has shuttle access. I thought it might be helpful to have info for all shuttles if that is available.

The shuttle details were given very close to PAX last year. The DoubleTree is listed as having shuttle service.

At East 2011, the shuttle service was thus:
    Friday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm, midnight-230am
    Saturday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm, midnight-230am
    Sunday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm

I don't believe there was ever a map.

As one of the biggest noob moments in my life, I reserved rooms at the wrong Westin (queue facepalm... in my defense, reservations were done on my mobile during a protomen concert). ^_^'

The Westin I'm at is only a few minutes walk to many of the hotels who have shuttle service.... so was wondering if that's allowed.

I don't know the answer for sure but I don't see why not. I would guess that the only gate to entry would be a PAX badge since it's a PAX shuttle.

• moco64moco64 Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    I'm really interested in attending the BL2 panel this year but can only go for one day, do they have them multiple days? Anyone know what day they were held in the past? Right now I'm thinking of going on day 2.

Thanks in advance.

moco64 on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2012
    The schedule will not be announced until a few weeks prior to PAX (2-3 probably). Each panel only runs once.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Hi, guys. I'm hoping Moe or someone else here can help me. I like so many of you subscribe the official pax twitter feed and track it religiously everyday, but I have never posted anything on it. Well, today I check it out only to see there is a post by me stating "Want to abandon the dull job and START your own biz this year? Look at this [link]." I definetly did not post this, and I am in no way going to hit that link button. Has this appeared to anyone else? Have I somehow been hacked or am I blowing this out of proportion? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Change your password, you've likely been hacked. Also if you share that password with anything else, change that too.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    The schedule will not be announced until a few weeks prior to PAX (2-3 probably). Each panel only runs once.

...most of the time. Last year, id ran the RAGE panel on both Friday and Saturday. I believe Eidos did one for Deus Ex both days too.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote:

It should be fine. Last year the shuttle that was near the Double Tree would only stop at another hotel a couple minute's walk from there. No one asked any questions really.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the quick response on the shuttle questions!

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    What is the Scavenger Hunt, and where do I find info?

@Rdr, the person who ran it last time, isn't going to be at east this time around. If someone else picks it up, they will put up a thread in the pax forums.

7B14287.png
  • NervousWhiteDadsNervousWhiteDads Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    I've been emailing the Panel Submission and the other addresses about this but no one has gotten back to me yet.

I was just wondering if there were any spots for DJs open at PAX. I already have a pass and it would be so amazing to get to DJ at my favorite convention. I'm not looking to get paid or anything, I don't even know if that's how you go about hiring acts. I'm just looking to have fun and get people dancing.

Last year outside of the Jam-space there was a guy with a boombox, I hooked my laptop into there and made up a small set of tracks. We had a lot of people dancing and having fun, just thought maybe there was a better way to do this rather than a boombox. I have DJ'd at other events before, and have all of my gear ready. If I don't hear back I'll assume the boombox is an A+ idea.

If someone from staff could get in touch with me that would be wonderful! If not, I'll have a great time anyways, thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this! Last year was amazing.

NervousWhiteDads on
    Here's another one.

Does the BCEC/PAX allow backpacks? I used whatever swag bag i could find last year, but for all convenience, i'd love to just have my backpack with me. Great place/way to store stuff on the go.

This isnt really the place to contact pax staff about general questions. I dont think there are DJs hired at pax, but I could be wrong. Try emailing [email protected]

ottoman673 wrote:
    Here's another one.

Does the BCEC/PAX allow backpacks? I used whatever swag bag i could find last year, but for all convenience, i'd love to just have my backpack with me. Great place/way to store stuff on the go.

Yes, just be mindful of bags and how they can impede walkways and the like.

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    ottoman673 wrote:
    Here's another one.

Yes, just be mindful of bags and how they can impede walkways and the like.

Also be mindful not to turn around quickly in crowded areas. I've lost count of the times I have been backpacked in the face or chest.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    Liger, the person who backpacked you in the face must have been seven feet tall.

E6LkoFK.png

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Dumb question from a first timer: is anything extra required for concert admissions, or is just having a PAX day pass enough to get access to them? I'm really looking forward to seeing the Protomen live for the first time, and I don't want to find out that I missed my chance because I didn't register in the right place or buy a separate ticket or whatever.

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Cantide wrote:
    Dumb question from a first timer: is anything extra required for concert admissions, or is just having a PAX day pass enough to get access to them? I'm really looking forward to seeing the Protomen live for the first time, and I don't want to find out that I missed my chance because I didn't register in the right place or buy a separate ticket or whatever.
    Like all events in PAX ([edit] save for BYOC), your badge will get you in.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote:
    Dumb question from a first timer: is anything extra required for concert admissions, or is just having a PAX day pass enough to get access to them? I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

Also expect to spend some time in line if you want to get towards the front/a seat. Especially with VGO before Protomen, there's going to be a HUUUUGE turn out Friday.

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Thanks guys!

• crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    Im probably the only one having this issue but it seems like the front page is cluttered with meetup threads and ive been having a hard time finding relevant pax info. Is there any way we could consolidate the meetup threads and sticky it or something akin?

its a secret to everyone
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Im probably the only one having this issue but it seems like the front page is cluttered with meetup threads and ive been having a hard time finding relevant pax info. Is there any way we could consolidate the meetup threads and sticky it or something akin?

Thats what the community forums are for :P

Theres honestly not much PAX info yet, the only thing that was recently announced thats relevant is the concert lineup. Otherwise theres not much info yet.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right

usually the first couple pages are relevant community info but the actual pax schedule hasn't been released yet so I'm not sure what you are looking for. As red said, this is a community forum.

Pretty much what Red said. There's not much that's been announced, so there's not much info to have threads on. Once we get into March, tournaments and panels and the like will be announced and will have threads of their own.

We don't do megathreads here, so consolidating all meetup threads into one will not happen. Each meetup is unique in time, place and scope. Putting them together in one thread would damage all of them. The hotel thread has fallen to the wayside since most people have booked (and there are only 4 PAX hotels left with space), and more or less the same with the registration/passes thread since 3-days are sold out. I'm sure that thread will get a resurgence once single-day passes get close to selling out.

In the meantime, just be patient until there is more info to talk about.

E6LkoFK.png

• guinness1701guinness1701 Registered User new member
    Good Afternoon,

I did try to search question first, but no real decisive answer was found.

If I plan on making a Pax East Shirt for "The Secret World" as a fan, is it ok to use the log for pax, and say Pax East. This would be used for the community members traveling to Pax in april.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Good Afternoon,

I did try to search question first, but no real decisive answer was found.

If I plan on making a Pax East Shirt for "The Secret World" as a fan, is it ok to use the log for pax, and say Pax East. This would be used for the community members traveling to Pax in april.

You will have to seek approval from PA most likely for this. best bet is to email pax_qeustions about it

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right