As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Changed my steam password out of an abundance of caution, but whatever I'm not worried.

It's likely to be fine. Gabe's statement did say that the passwords were hashed AND salted (which is a step up in terms of security from some places - and also great for your corned beef). Unless Vavle are encrypting using MD5, which I doubt, passwords aren't likely to be unecrypted, even if they've been stolen.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Smash your face on your keyboard four or five times with notebook or w/e open, write it down, password!

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    VicWhiten wrote:
    I have a crisis Steam Thread, you're my only hope.

I'm getting Skyrim at a midnight release with some friends @ gamestop, pc version. I was planning on getting it, installing from disk, registering with steam, and playing it all night (no classes tomorrow)

What I forgot until now is that my computer doesn't have a disk drive!!!!! Is there anyway I could start the preload now to shave off some waiting time, or can you not preload until you own the game?

I feel so dumb for leaving my disk drive at home now.....

The only way to pre-load a retail copy is if you somehow manage to get the key and register it with Steam before release. You'll have to wait, unfortunately.

Or, you know, buy a second copy on Steam. Serve, whelp!

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Just to be safe I've changed my password to something stupidly long but easy to remember (thanks XKCD), changed my email address (to make sure the steam guard function remains uncompromised), and am considering getting a new debit card.

Hell, I may even change my password again to make sure there's absolutely way it could be socially engineered from information about me.

Dram on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Not to jump on the whole "OMG PASSWORD" bandwagon, but what about those of us stupid asses that have their CC info saved? Is there any way to get rid of that, or does the Newell have that forever now?

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Also, sorry to spam, but to repeat a PSA that came up earlier in the Steam thread: If you can use GMail, do it and activate 2-factor authentication. Then activate Steam Guard. That way, in order to even log into your Steam account, someone would need to have your (1) Steam password, (2) Email password, and (3) Cell Phone. Tightens things up a bit.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Honestly, your password could be "password" and it's just as secure as a four-hundred random character password if the hackers are just stealing all the passwords from steam.

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    So, I left the house in the middle of the night and sneaked around town. I spotted a moose or whatever the fuck it was by the river and shot an arrow into it. It freaked out and ran around a bit. I was just about to shoot it again, but then a wolf suddenly appeared and attacked it. The wolf killed the moose and then I killed the wolf, skinned them both, and carved me some meat for breakfast.

Then I went home and played some Skyrim. :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I used my CC once to buy Mass Effect, but I don't think I saved it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Honestly, your password could be "password" and it's just as secure as a four-hundred random character password if the hackers are just stealing all the passwords from steam.

This is true, in that one scenario, although you'll have your accounts hacked 100 times over in other situations before someone with a password of "worms39timesequalsblaring"

The password advice here in the thread is more about good password safety in general. That argument is like saying you could drive as defensively as possible, but your car is still fucked if it's in your garage when your house burns down.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Fuck me. Could the reviews for Skyrim be any better.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Jungleskye wrote:

Yeah, I know, making me regret not pre-purchasing it.

God damn. Can it really be that good?

Lord_Snot on
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    Crisis averted! I set up my roommate's laptop's DVD drive as a network drive, and mapped it to my desktop. I -will- be able to waste my night away in Tamriel!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    SkutSkut wrote:
    Smash your face on your keyboard four or five times with notebook or w/e open, write it down, password!

This is actually pretty much how I do it.

Also, I'm paranoid. I change my passwords for important shit on decently regular basis. Because how many times has something been hacked and no one ever been the wiser?

Drake on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The only way Skyrim could be better is if Dark Souls players could invade.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Not to jump on the whole "OMG PASSWORD" bandwagon, but what about those of us stupid asses that have their CC info saved? Is there any way to get rid of that, or does the Newell have that forever now?

You should be able to remove it, and if not, a 10 min call to the CC company plus 3-4 business days will almost always get you a completly new CC number and stop anyone using the old one to get your monies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Jungleskye wrote:

I had no plans to buy it anytime soon. But all these reviews and people playing it raving about it are making me reconsider.

• Options
    I have to admit, the glowing reviews are making me want to play it. I'll probably hold off during Santa Season, and if no one decides to drop it in my lap, I'll buy it in the first post-Christmas sale.

• Options
    Jungleskye wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Jungleskye wrote:

I had no plans to buy it anytime soon. But all these reviews and people playing it raving about it are making me reconsider.

I'm feeling the same way. My angle was to wait until all the expansions were released as a pack on a Steam sale, and wait for the community to fix the no doubt numerous crash-bugs that will haunt the PC version.

But the hype is strong with this one.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    oblivion got a 94 metacritic average

remember guys, TES games are super susceptible to the media hype machine

• Options
    Ah, I figured it out.
    If you go Steam -> Settings, then click on "View Account History", it has your password saved on the upper-right corner of the screen. It says "Your Steam Account", with your wallet balance there, and a spot where it says "MasterCard Ending in 12345" or whatever, with a little delete link next to it.

• Options
    Jungleskye wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Jungleskye wrote:

I'm feeling the same way. My angle was to wait until all the expansions were released as a pack on a Steam sale, and wait for the community to fix the no doubt numerous crash-bugs that will haunt the PC version.

But the hype is strong with this one.

If I can hold out till Tuesday I will be fine. Saints Row 3 will save me!

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Huh. Anyone else having trouble logging in with the client on Windows? Just gets stuck on connecting Steam account...

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah. I had a bunch of problems earlier.
    I am in now, somehow, and downloading Skyrim. But it took me a ton the first time.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Password in thread title should be gaben1.

I guess I need to avoid the post-release Skyrim hype too. I will definitely play it at some point, but listening to everyone rave about it is making it difficult to adhere to my "no $60 PC games" principal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Thank you for this much needed reminder. I feel strong enough to resist once more.

• Options
    Bullio wrote:
    Password in thread title should be gaben1

I would have assumed "doritos1"

• Options
    Bullio wrote:
    Password in thread title should be gaben1

I would have assumed "doritos1"

Or "MooleyFTW"

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I think I deleted my cc info. I also changed my pw to vanillapartybackreply or something like that.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular

Thank you for this much needed reminder. I feel strong enough to resist once more.

True, but Metacritic are the devil, see Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol. Think I may have to buy Skyrim within the next few days. I am weak.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    wasn't one of the better things about oblivion on the pc the mods? mostly to fix the very console-y interface/hud? hopefully people will do that with skyrim.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Lord_Snot wrote:

True, but Metacritic are the devil, see Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol. Think I may have to buy Skyrim within the next few days. I am weak.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote:
    wasn't one of the better things about oblivion on the pc the mods? mostly to fix the very console-y interface/hud? hopefully people will do that with skyrim.

Early on, the real advantage of mods is fan-made bug fixes, in highly moddable environments like Bethesda games, the fans usually move faster than the devs with their "patches"

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    dav3yb wrote:

Early on, the real advantage of mods is fan-made bug fixes, in highly moddable environments like Bethesda games, the fans usually move faster than the devs with their "patches"

See - Fallout: New Vegas

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yep, because who wants to bother with a console-y interface and HUD when you are trying to enjoy your nude mods and tentacle rape spells.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    dav3yb wrote:

See - Fallout: New Vegas

Yeah, while even the people playing on consoles were dealing with game changing bugs, I was playing a largely flawless game at a smooth 60fps, and what small issues there were could be instantly fixed with a bit of console shenanigans.

• Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:

DON'T DO IT!!!!

I'm resisting over here, but I think we need bigger guns.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Guys. Is Dirt 3 awesome? I remember seeing it played at Comic Con and it looked fun.

Another thing to consider: I already own Grid and will instabuy Burnout Paradise on sale.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Man what a terrible week for Dirt 3 to go on sale :(. I want it but no way I can get it this week with CoD:MW3 Skyrim and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3(and Saints row, AssCre that I am waiting on for christmas gift ideas for family.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Guys. Is Dirt 3 awesome? I remember seeing it played at Comic Con and it looked fun.

Another thing to consider: I already own Grid and will instabuy Burnout Paradise on sale.

If you love those games, then the reviews say yes.