As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    As great as the reviews for Skyrim are, I still have no problem with waiting a year or so. I do want to try and get through Oblivion first.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote:
    Fuck me. Could the reviews for Skyrim be any better.

I know, right? Fucking hell.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote:
    As great as the reviews for Skyrim are, I still have no problem with waiting a year or so. I do want to try and get through Oblivion first.

I still have some Morrowind to get through.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I played Skyrim today. It's rad as fuck. Buy it. edit: I guess here I should point out that it's basically Oblivion but much prettier. Haven't delved too deeply into it yet to find all the differences, and fuck it, I liked Oblivion, but so far it's not the huge generational shift that exists between, say, DX:HR and DX. (or BFBC2 and BF3 for that matter)

Also: pretty sure the steam account hack thing has been in my nightmares more than once.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    So I played Skyrim today. It's rad as fuck. Buy it. edit: I guess here I should point out that it's basically Oblivion but much prettier. Haven't delved too deeply into it yet to find all the differences, and fuck it, I liked Oblivion, but so far it's not the huge generational shift that exists between, say, DX:HR and DX. (or BFBC2 and BF3 for that matter)

Also: pretty sure the steam account hack thing has been in my nightmares more than once.

You say it's basically a prettier version of Oblivion, but I'm curious: What's your opinion of Skyrim as compared to Morrowind? I loved the hell out of Morrowind. Morrowind consumed my life with the frenzied hunger of a rabid demon... but Oblivion left me cold and uninterested - even after trying to get into it several times.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    As far as password security goes: I just use a biometric lock (yay fingerprint scanner) that produces random 64 letter passwords for me. So, amusingly, I couldn't even tell you what my passwords are for most things. Except the site that stores them, but that requires email verification/2 step authenticator to make it cough up a key to decrypt the vault on my laptop that then spits out some random junk to help me unlock the generated passwords if my scanner ever dies and I don't feel like replacing it.

Basically, lulzparanoid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    VicWhiten wrote:
    Crisis averted! I set up my roommate's laptop's DVD drive as a network drive, and mapped it to my desktop. I -will- be able to waste my night away in Tamriel!
    macgyvers1e18necpc88012.jpg

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    dav3yb wrote:
    wasn't one of the better things about oblivion on the pc the mods? mostly to fix the very console-y interface/hud? hopefully people will do that with skyrim.

Early on, the real advantage of mods is fan-made bug fixes, in highly moddable environments like Bethesda games, the fans usually move faster than the devs with their "patches"

See - Fallout: New Vegas

Yeah, while even the people playing on consoles were dealing with game changing bugs, I was playing a largely flawless game at a smooth 60fps, and what small issues there were could be instantly fixed with a bit of console shenanigans.
    Yeah, the main reason to get a non-console version of bethesda games is access to the console

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    dav3yb wrote:
    wasn't one of the better things about oblivion on the pc the mods? mostly to fix the very console-y interface/hud? hopefully people will do that with skyrim.

Early on, the real advantage of mods is fan-made bug fixes, in highly moddable environments like Bethesda games, the fans usually move faster than the devs with their "patches"

See - Fallout: New Vegas

Yeah, while even the people playing on consoles were dealing with game changing bugs, I was playing a largely flawless game at a smooth 60fps, and what small issues there were could be instantly fixed with a bit of console shenanigans.
    Yeah, the main reason to get a non-console version of bethesda games is access to the console

No.

Mods

All other reasons are unacceptable. :P

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    If the passwords were hashed and salted, are we sure that Gaben didn't just eat them?

That's how hashing and salting works... right?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    If the passwords were hashed and salted, are we sure that Gaben didn't just eat them?

Do you have any idea how much you just delayed Episode 3? Damn it, man. And we were doing so well for a while there...

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'm reading that, once again, Skyrim has some horrendous UI issues. Because all those years of people complaining about poor UI design meant nothing to them. Shock. Surprise.

Coupled with the typical Bethesda bugfest, I can wait until this shit gets worked out. By then, the game would be like 30 bucks.

Weee.

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:

You say it's basically a prettier version of Oblivion, but I'm curious: What's your opinion of Skyrim as compared to Morrowind? I loved the hell out of Morrowind. Morrowind consumed my life with the frenzied hunger of a rabid demon... but Oblivion left me cold and uninterested - even after trying to get into it several times.

So far it feels pretty morrowind-y but I'm like 3 hours in so it's very hard to tell. The intro is straight Oblivion (as in, you do stuff) as opposed to Morrowind (as in, hop off a boat and go). I just dove into the main quest, killed a dragon, got some loot, then a giant kicked me over a mountain.

I loved Morrowind with a passion, and unlike I guess a lot of people I really liked Oblivion too. I prefer to see the positives in games like this rather than the negatives, and so far Skyrim is hitting a lot of the same notes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Do you have any idea how much you just delayed Episode 3? Damn it, man. And we were doing so well for a while there...

Sometimes I feel as if Episode 3 only exists in the minds of the men who have gone mad while searching for it.

Kudos to Valve for being incredibly straightforward on the hacking issue, though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I figured my dad would be all over Skyrim but apparently this hacking thing (combined with being unable to play LA Noire on PC that he purchased through Amazon) has convinced him, for the time being, to quit using Steam.

Silly father.
    NO ONE, just STOPS serving the Newell.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Seeing people in my friends list playing Skyrim is driving me nuts. I do not want to buy this game.......

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Why not? He certainly looks like he eats everything else. *rimshot*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Lord Yod wrote:
    So far it feels pretty morrowind-y but I'm like 3 hours in so it's very hard to tell. The intro is straight Oblivion (as in, you do stuff) as opposed to Morrowind (as in, hop off a boat and go). I just dove into the main quest, killed a dragon, got some loot, then a giant kicked me over a mountain.

I loved Morrowind with a passion, and unlike I guess a lot of people I really liked Oblivion too. I prefer to see the positives in games like this rather than the negatives, and so far Skyrim is hitting a lot of the same notes.

Thanks for the feedback. I never have quite figured out what it was about Oblivion that just left me feeling aimless and bored, whereas Morrowind grabbed my attention with a deathgrip yet to be replicated. But Skyrim is sounding a bit more engaging out of the gate, at the very least.
    Sometimes I feel as if Episode 3 only exists in the minds of the men who have gone mad while searching for it.

Kudos to Valve for being incredibly straightforward on the hacking issue, though.

To be serious, though, Episode 3 has only been in development four years if we count from the release of Episode 2. That's slightly less than a third of the development time of DNF.

Also, I similarly give Kudos for the straightforward statement about the hacking. Plus, telling everyone about it directly, instead of issuing a press release and assuming the blogs would take care of it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Or rather, issuing a press release a week after they found out about the hacking.

Poor Valve. Still don't know how to play with the big dogs and doing pro business.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    How does Skyrim (or any elder scrolls game) compare to Dragon Age?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    They're practically different genres. One is a psuedo strategy game that is based around a central story line. And while I haven't played skyrim, pretty much every other bethesda game's main story has been pretty secondary to exploring and finding dungeons to get more loot

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, half of my friendlist is currently playing skyrim, and it makes me incredibly jealous. Oh well. Back to Kotor.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Since it got buried by the hacking stuff, if anyone wants my key for Time Gentlemen Please/ Ben There Dan That, PM or message me on Steam.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    This just in! Bastion is fantastic.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I went out of my way to finish a game this week. I've been having a bad habit lately of basically starting like 30 games at once and not getting very far in any. Before I started my 31st, I wanted to finish at least one.

Game was Sequence. If you didn't notice it, it's a RPG based around a rhythm music battle system. Odd mechancis for sure. I enjoyed it overall, definetly worth the 5 dollars it is going for. It has likeable characters and a fairly interesting plot that goes pretty bonkers towards the end. Manages to not take itself too seriously but also knows when to tone the jokes down and actually tell a solid story. Game is pretty grindy though, and often falls too much into STORY: BATTLES BOSS STORY BATTLES BOSS STORY and could've used a bit more of a break in sections from that path. But anyways. If you like RPGs, rhythm games, and internet memes (one of the first bosses is based on Joseph Decreux), check it out. If you don't like them, probably isn't going to change your mind.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote:
    This just in! Bastion is fantastic.

This gent speaks truth. Much akin to water being wet and fire being hot. Bastion is fantastic.

Also ear-sexy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:

Why not? He certainly looks like he eats everything else. *rimshot*

That's not nice.
    gaben1.jpg

5,000 hours in MS Paint

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I need some advice, guys.

I dual-boot XP and Win7. I mainly use XP, including for my main Steam library. Win7 also has Steam (for JC2). When I read about the hacking, I tried to log into Steam (in Win7). I got a message saying it couldn't (I think it even said wrong pw). I booted XP and could log in FINE with the stored credentials. My Steam email inbox did NOT get any message saying "access from other account, please enter code".

My guess in this case is that (since I haven't used the Win7 client in a while, and it seems to happen randomly), they probably put a box saying "wrong pw" where you'd usually get one saying "first access from this machine, please enter code from email", as a precaution.

What do you think?

edit: When trying to change my pw from the client, I get the same message, saying something like "not possible at the moment". I guess it really is a precaution

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to check whether we saved our CC info in Steam?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    Is there a way to check whether we saved our CC info in Steam?

In the client, in the top right corner, is a link saying "<username>'s account". If you click on that, in the right column it's listed if you saved it. It will show up as "<credit card type> ending in 1234". There's a delete link next to it.

B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Went out and got 2 more monitors, and a second 6950 and flashed it to 6970 (same as my other reference card) and put it in crossfire. Set up eyefinity across my 3 monitors...sat down. Fired up Skyrim. It works with eyefinity and...epic. Panoramic view is awesome.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Hmm, nothing there. Hope it isn't in their database anyway from past whatever.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote:

I dual-boot XP and Win7. I mainly use XP, including for my main Steam library. Win7 also has Steam (for JC2). When I read about the hacking, I tried to log into Steam (in Win7). I got a message saying it couldn't (I think it even said wrong pw). I booted XP and could log in FINE with the stored credentials. My Steam email inbox did NOT get any message saying "access from other account, please enter code".

My guess in this case is that (since I haven't used the Win7 client in a while, and it seems to happen randomly), they probably put a box saying "wrong pw" where you'd usually get one saying "first access from this machine, please enter code from email", as a precaution.

What do you think?

edit: When trying to change my pw from the client, I get the same message, saying something like "not possible at the moment". I guess it really is a precaution

Just out of curiosity, why do you dual boot Xp and 7?

• Options
    emp123 wrote:
    busfahrer wrote:

What do you think?

Just out of curiosity, why do you dual boot Xp and 7?

Good question! I kind of like XP better, but still want to 'get used to' Win7 before it becomes inevitable to completely switch. I also need it for Just Cause 2 ;-)

B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Seeing as enabling addicts has always been the preferred MO here, anyone who hasn't bought Skyrim yet would do well to behold.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613842195055768850/832925224944F87577B145E1ABE9011A5E331953/

He thinks you should buy it right now. You wouldn't want to make him angry, would you?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    skyrim is amazing

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote:
    Seeing as enabling addicts has always been the preferred MO here, anyone who hasn't bought Skyrim yet would do well to behold.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613842195055768850/832925224944F87577B145E1ABE9011A5E331953/

He thinks you should buy it right now. You wouldn't want to make him angry, would you?

Im going to play Oblivion out of spite.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote:

wow that looks great! still waiting for a sale though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I want to thank @emp123 for linking me the Steam Mover app. It works perfectly.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    So, to be safe I'm getting a new credit card. My bank was even so nice not to require the usual fee of 20 EUR, because the new card was necessary because of possible fraud.

B2b1M.gif