As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buck Rogers in the 25th [chat]

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited November 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Jacobkosh on

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I approve of buck rodgers [chat].

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So does anybody know if a minor has a right to refuse contraception if the parent wants it or not?

• Options
    Couscous wrote:
    So does anybody know if a minor has a right to refuse contraception if the parent wants it or not?

What? Like a parent forcing contraception? I am sorry this question doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Would everyone hate a "Guile Theme goes with everything" chat?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    I approve of buck rodgers [chat].

It's BUCK ROGERS, SHEESH. UGH.

Shut it down.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I almost worked up the courage to start a new thread. It would have been about tatchankas.

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular

Assuming an excess intake of 3000 kJ (pretty easy) you'd be able to draw off a sustained 34 watts.

So you'd be able to run a portable device no problems. You could sustain an average desktop PC for a few hours (it'd be like running a very long race on your body's energy reserves though).

The real magic would simply be having a non-thermal way to burn off excess calories though.

An excess of 3000 kJ corresponds to 720 kcal, that is not EASY to pull off. It is in fact an awful lot of extra food you'd have to be eating.

Especially if we consider that the average energy requirements of adults males and females are 2500 and 2000 kcal, respectively.

It's like a 29-36% increase in intake. That's an obscenely huge amount dude.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

What? Like a parent forcing contraception? I am sorry this question doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Like a parent requiring a minor to get contraception.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It's a shame the show isn't good because the Buck Rogers music and intro are terrific

that shot of him spinning away as history fast-forwards behind him is genuinely cool

also, Erin Gray

wilma12.jpg

• Options

I wouldn't care.

I don't care about most chat OPs largely because the majority of them I don't understand.

OP this time is from something old, that's all I know.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Stole some bandit's horse. Fuck yeah.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

If a minor is competent a parent has no control over their medical treatment whatsoever.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjkM_y-Wps

It does! You're right!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Daxon wrote:

Assuming an excess intake of 3000 kJ (pretty easy) you'd be able to draw off a sustained 34 watts.

So you'd be able to run a portable device no problems. You could sustain an average desktop PC for a few hours (it'd be like running a very long race on your body's energy reserves though).

The real magic would simply be having a non-thermal way to burn off excess calories though.

An excess of 3000 kJ corresponds to 720 kcal, that is not EASY to pull off. It is in fact an awful lot of extra food you'd have to be eating.

it depends on the food. A US Army MRE has something like 8000 kcals.

• Options
    Couscous wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

I can't see this happening outside of like an IUD or a Depo shot. I mean most contraceptives take some sort of personal responsibility. And those that are more automatic I doubt a doctor would use on a person without their consent unless we are talking about some of the awful forced sterilization projects that have occurred.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

Especially if we consider that the average energy requirements of adults males and females are 2500 and 2000 kcal, respectively.

translation: BIG MACS FOR EVERYONE

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Whooops. More bandits came back after I started looting their camp.

They are now cooked.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I would like to lose weight by powering the city of Neo Tokyo.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    Whooops. More bandits came back after I started looting their camp.

They are now cooked.

they were just trying to feed their families or redistribute the wealth

• Options
    Arivia wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjkM_y-Wps

It does! You're right!

I had a funny feeling you'd post this.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Seriously, tatchankas. Horse carts with machine guns. How awesome is that.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

It's like 3 Mars Bars.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

it depends on the food. A US Army MRE has something like 8000 kcals.

Well.. something that happens in the army really isn't generalisable to the whole population.

Also people actually in the army don't ever really eat the entire things anyway.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    My character should be featured on Hoarders: Skyrim Edition.

• Options
    Arivia wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

It's like 3 Mars Bars.

Yup, mars bars are well-known for their slow and sustained energy release.

• Options
    I wonder if I can get in trouble for stealing from bandits.

• Options
    Daxon wrote:
    Couscous wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

If a minor is competent a parent has no control over their medical treatment whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mature_minor_doctrine#United_States
    For example, Georgia apparently rejects it.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=9Jyggn6MtR4C&lpg=PA333&dq=georgia mature minor&pg=PA333#v=onepage&q=georgia mature minor&f=false

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    First thought when looking at that video: in what space, sir? In what space?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

It's like 3 Mars Bars.

You are arguing that it's a completely unreasonable increase in consumption. I am pointing out that this is hardly the case. That's 3 Mars Bar for the total needed energy over the course of 24 hours.

• Options
    Couscous wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Couscous wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mature_minor_doctrine#United_States
    For example, Georgia apparently rejects it.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=9Jyggn6MtR4C&lpg=PA333&dq=georgia mature minor&pg=PA333#v=onepage&q=georgia mature minor&f=false

Well I've just got the UK to base this off of. I can't help if Georgia is being stupid and rejecting that notion.

Here at least a doctor, if they believe the patient is competent (no matter how young), can prescribe them a contraceptive (without their parents knowledge).

Equally so any competent patient is allowed to refuse any and all medical treatment - even life-saving/sustaining treatment.

I'd think it weird for you people to enshrine that in the constitution.

Then again I think it weird how so many things come from your constitution, it gives it too much import imo.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    The girl who said she had been thinking about me after I texted her ended up saying I should call her sometime so that we can get together. It's still probable that her interest in me is entirely platonic, which is fine. I just wish that I was better at decoding social cues.

• Options
    Daxon wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

It's like 3 Mars Bars.

You are arguing that it's a completely unreasonable increase in consumption. I am pointing out that this is hardly the case. That's 3 Mars Bar for the total needed energy over the course of 24 hours.

Okay I accept that.

Now how do propose the energy is released properly?

Really, what you're proposing is just preposterous.

What on earth do you gain from drawing power from your own body aside from the "cool scifi world" factor?

Holding a device with a battery isn't that much of an inconvenience is it?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I can't hit anything with arrows.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sister's birthday. Went well. Back home. Heating still busted. going to be a cold night. Unsure why typing like Rorschach.

• Options
    Sister's birthday. Went well. Back home. Heating still busted. going to be a cold night. Unsure why typing like Rorschach.

Cold shutting down ability to comprimise. Unaware of cognitive dissonance.
    Hurm

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Who let elendil get another open world rpg

• Options
    I hope if I ride this stolen horse enough it will become mine. It runs away when it's stolen so when wolves chase it I can't protect it easily!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    This dragon is a pussy.

COME AT ME BRO

This discussion has been closed.