As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] YOU WILL BE JAILED OR BANNED FOR POSTING SPOILERS UNTAGGED

196979899100102»

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    I cant think of any set of skills you could reasonably level that would make you worthless, unless you're completely avoiding perking them.

I mean, unless you /only/ leveled speech/smithing/alchemy/enchantment/lockpicking or something? Because pickpocket means you have stealth. Stealth means you're already instantly broken the second you perk into backstab. I just made an iron dagger and killed a sabrecat in one hit. 15x damage even on a pisspoor 4 damage dagger will kill the shit out of things. You can then level one handed. Or you can make badass potions and slip them into peoples pockets til they are almost dead then stab them to death.

This is only true if your base stealth perks are high enough to make it undetected within backstab range.

MechMantis wrote:
    Except he's not useless. He's useless in combat. There is a distinction.

He might be an awesome thief. Or able to make the best potions in Skyrim. Or a smith envied the world over.

In Oblivion, there were no real noncombat skills, except for sneak. The problem was you could make a useless character by leveling your major combat skills too fast. This does not exist in Skyrim, if you level your combat skills, you are good at combat.

If you level your non-combat skills, you are good at non-combat.

I really do not see the problem here.

So should I have to choose either combat or non combat as a focus for my character? If I take a break from combat for a few hours to explore I should expect that I'm gimping my character by leveling non combat skills? What happens when my combat skills are then so gimped that I cannot do any exploration outside of towns due to the occasional bear or high leveled enemy? What about when I decide to do a quest but I cannot make it through a dungeon?

I guess my point is, I can beat the main storyline at level 19. You only need level 19ish skill ranges. (Thats about an average of 50ish? in a combat skill. Which is cheap to level at a trainer, and super easy in bandit caves wherein they don't scale over a max level.) If you can't do optional stuff, yeah, that sucks. But if you can't, somehow, find a combat skill you can raise to 50.. I dunno. My base damage 15 bow, steel arrows and level 51 archery seem to have no problem killing bosses, it might take a little bit, but its not hard. Same with mooks. Except those damn sphere guards.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    Exploration/thievery probably constitutes a third of my play time at a minimum, and it certainly isn't distributed evenly.

Bandits obviously aren't the problem here.

So wait.

You're complaining that tough enemies... are tough? Sometimes really tough?

I'm not sure how I'm even supposed to address that, other than "Yup, sucks don't it. I have trouble with tough enemies sometimes too, forcing me to think on my feet when I find myself in over my head. Sometimes I have to run away with my tail between my legs and come back when I'm better at killing things!"

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    It's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of how I've spent my play time.

Level 19ish could represent a broad range of characters, and how you spent your perks will determine how well you can perform in combat rather than your level alone.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Are you able to put swords and shields on your wall or anything in your house? I cant seem to, theres a weapon rack but no way of interacting with it, at least in my Whiterun house?

but Tanaris wont your character will do better than combat characters in non-combat areas?

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote:
    Are you able to put swords and shields on your wall or anything in your house? I cant seem to, theres a weapon rack but no way of interacting with it, at least in my Whiterun house?

You need to have the weapon out and in your hand in order to put it in the rack.

Skyrim means "out" when it says "equipped".

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    How to defeat every enemy that is not ranged or flying: Stand on a slightly elevated position

I just slowly murdered 3 mammoths like this because they couldn't reach me, so they just stood there roaring at me

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Zzulu wrote:
    How to defeat every enemy that is not ranged or flying: Stand on a slightly elevated position

I just slowly murdered 3 mammoths like this because they couldn't reach me, so they just stood there roaring at me

Depending on the elevated position you can be invulnerable to everything not flying, since their arrows or spells will bounce harmlessly off the wall or whatever you're standing on.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Dear Diary,

Today I was almost executed for something I didn't do, but was saved by the timely arrival of a Dragon!

After escaping, I fled to a town where a rogue Chicken got in my way, which I promptly attacked. It survived.

The villagers turned on me, and I fled towards a large city where I helped fell a Giant.

I was then arrested for my Chicken assault.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Also, bossfights on master difficulty can get super silly. My most powerful spell at this level is either fireball or icestorm and if I use up my entire manabar on this boss I only shave off like a 20th of his health. Meanwhile if he touches me I die instantly

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    Exploration/thievery probably constitutes a third of my play time at a minimum, and it certainly isn't distributed evenly.

Bandits obviously aren't the problem here.

So wait.

You're complaining that tough enemies... are tough? Sometimes really tough?

I'm not sure how I'm even supposed to address that, other than "Yup, sucks don't it. I have trouble with tough enemies sometimes too, forcing me to think on my feet when I find myself in over my head. Sometimes I have to run away with my tail between my legs and come back when I'm better at killing things!"

The game makes no clear distinction between enemies that are "tough" and enemies that aren't, except slightly different names. So you go from "Hey, I can one-shot Draugr, this dungeon won't be any trouble," to "Ok, I spent an hour in this dungeon slaying zombies with absolutely no trouble, and this boss just kills me in one hit."

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    akeso wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    akeso wrote:
    Started using fast travel... realized it was killing my game.
    Back to riding everywhere.

I just switched to walking for the first time to find Solitude rather than pay a carriage, and found a bog.

Full of Chauners.

Back to Fast Travel! D:

Finding bogs full of things is 99% of the fun of an elder scrolls game though!!

I found a bog full of the KING of all mud crabs

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594702184976341751/D19A0B69AF2A6082FEEB234818CD08AC9039617D/

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.