As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestling: From Planet Funk, THE FUNKASAURUS

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Oh god, that's such an amazing mod.

Smackdown was a bit up and down. The midcard filler wasn't too interesting (Hornswoggle is the worst, I feel sorry for Slater and booking a squash Mahal/Sheamus match a week in advance is ridiculous) but everything involving Daniel Bryan and Mark Henry was fantastic. I loved Bryan's little "why are you friends with her?" question to AJ (referring to Alicia Fox) and the way he screamed to the ref to start counting when Show was outside the ring. Meanwhile Mark Henry was great on commentary, putting over Bryan and Show more than either of the professional commentators and constantly pointing out how crap Cole is.

Most importantly, despite the piped in crowd noise, Smackdown comes across like a far more professional show than Raw and that probably comes down to the fact that Vince meddles with Raw right up until the show starts but mostly ignores Smackdown.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Henry was superb on the mic, when Bryan kicked out of the spear Henry absolutely got over the idea that Bryan is a top level competitor whereas Cole would just have been screaming "Noooooooooooooooooo how did he do it" into the microphone.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    It was great because someone FINALLY shot down Michael Cole hard enough for him to stop.

"If you say one more word, I'm gonna slap the taste out of your mouth."
    "Yes sir."

That never happens with King or Josh.

• Options
    I am a bit worried about the direction they are going to take Bryan now, it does seem a bit of a Christian re-tread. Not that I object to Christian but that I think it will be a bit stale.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Henry was superb on the mic, when Bryan kicked out of the spear Henry absolutely got over the idea that Bryan is a top level competitor whereas Cole would just have been screaming "Noooooooooooooooooo how did he do it" into the microphone.

I liked that. I like when heels know to put over their opponents in promos and other mic-work, because if/when they win it comes off as more impressive than squeaking out a victory over someone they've been lambasting as pathetic for weeks. But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when Bryan kicked out at Henry put him over without a trace of sarcasm.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Drew's burial marches on.
    Cant wait till he loses to swagger next week. Then Gillberg at the RR.

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    Former WWE star Chyna is filming a new adult movie called “Ring Queen” that will be a pro wrestling parody. The movie, produced by Vivid Video, will feature a wrestling ring, a Titantron and many stars parodied including Stephanie McMahon. The movie is scheduled for a March release.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote:
    Slater jobbing to Hornswaggle is great.

You know Vince thinks you're total shit if he makes you do that.

Luckily, Slater is shit. So I'm okay with it.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I am a bit worried about the direction they are going to take Bryan now, it does seem a bit of a Christian re-tread. Not that I object to Christian but that I think it will be a bit stale.

I think it's fine for him to act that way while he's facing Big Show and Mark Henry when they are way bigger than him, but once he gets normal sized opponents he needs to be the cocky heel who really is better than the people he's facing. I am so excited for when he yells "I have 'til five referee."

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Former WWE star Chyna is filming a new adult movie called “Ring Queen” that will be a pro wrestling parody. The movie, produced by Vivid Video, will feature a wrestling ring, a Titantron and many stars parodied including Stephanie McMahon. The movie is scheduled for a March release.

She's not bitter about anything at all, is she?

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    No way, that is crazy talk.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    well I know i'm buying that

oh wait no

I am doing the opposite of that

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Kreutz wrote:

She's not bitter about anything at all, is she?

Well, at least this means she's given up her campaign to be rehired by WWE.

Lux on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I just read that WWE ran a house show yesterday about an hour away from me but I couldn't have gone to it due to my work schedule. On the plus side I just found out I can still see Ryder at Wizard World con on the 28th this month, but of course I have a 12 hour midnight shift the same day. Gotta stock up on energy drinks.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Magell wrote:

I think it's fine for him to act that way while he's facing Big Show and Mark Henry when they are way bigger than him, but once he gets normal sized opponents he needs to be the cocky heel who really is better than the people he's facing. I am so excited for when he yells "I have 'til five referee."

That's what I'm worried about, I don't think they are going to take DB that way. I think they are going to turn him into the utterly over cocky heel who DQ wins out of the wazoo until he finally gets the beating he deserves.

I mean, that's good wrestling story 101 structure but we've just seen that with Christian, it would be a retread.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I see no harm in retreads if they're really good storylines, have new performers evolving the gag, and touch on it happening before. If someone went, "This isn't the first time someone has won a belt and turned into a jackass." Then Christian and Otunga walked and told Bryan to not say a single word to his accuser, that would be great.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular

oh wait no

downloading it illegally?

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular

oh wait no

star in it?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    He obviously directed it guys

• Options
    Chris Jericho worked at the WWE live event in Tyler, Texas this weekend. Jericho came out and was doing the same silent antics he pulled during his return on Raw this past Monday night.

Jericho was about to speak at one point, but was interrupted by David Otunga. Otunga told Jericho that his flashing jacket was too loud and could cause seizures. Otunga told Jericho that John Laurinaitis ordered him to remove it.

This lead to the first action of any kind for Jericho since his WWE comeback, as he did take the jacket off, but then immediately put Otunga in the Walls Of Jericho submission hold. After that, Jericho worked the crowd a bit more and left.

• Options
    So I just found out that one of my co-worker's sister is currently dating Jerry Lawler. Would I be a bad person if I asked him for some free Mania tickets?

• Options
    Is your co-worker's sister 13 or under?

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    wirehead26 wrote:
    So I just found out that one of my co-worker's sister is currently dating Jerry Lawler. Would I be a bad person if I asked him for some free Mania tickets?

The worst he could do is slap you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l_Xm8GQW14

(NSFW)

Kreutz on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    He obviously directed it guys

produced it, actually

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Is your co-worker's sister 13 or under?

Haha no, she's in her 20's.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    All jokes aside, probably ask her if she's going before anything else, try to work your way in that way.

edit:
    tzFEX.png
    Jeff Hardy says hello from TNA Genesis.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Gunner just beat RVD cleanly at the PPV tonight, including Van Dam doing a stretcher job at the end.

See you on Raw pothead.

• Options
    SpoochSpooch Registered User regular
    From that picture it's hard to believe he's clean

Assuming direct control O-O
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm starting to think it is just long term psychosis.

edit: I think TNA provides stretchers to RAW or WWE PPVs at a low rate, didn't Booker T or Nash use one last year?

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    All jokes aside, probably ask her if she's going before anything else, try to work your way in that way.

edit:
    tzFEX.png
    Jeff Hardy says hello from TNA Genesis.

LwYam.jpg
    ParU9.jpg

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    FCW star Antonio Cesaro (the former Claudio Castagnoli) debuted on the road with the main WWE roster at Friday night's RAW live event in Jackson, Mississippi. Cesaro teamed with Michael McGillicutty and lost a squash to Mason Ryan and Alex Riley. The same match happened at Saturday's live event in Tyler, Texas. Cesaro is likely on an evaluation tour with the main roster, like Seth Rollins was the week before. Rollins defeated Tyson Kidd in three matches.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Although I'd love to see Hero come in with him, I'm sure Claudio will still do well in a singles role. Nothing wrong with being an 80s style generic foreign heel either so long as it's done right, and I know Castagnolli can pull it off.

• Options
    So in the last 2 TNA PPVs, Robert Roode, TNA's main champ, retained his belt in both PPV main events

Last month, by a draw, and the one that just ended, by DQ

People who paid $80 total to see a great title match waited till the end of the show, both times, to be fucked over by BS finishes that WWE normally does on free TV so you can buy a PPV with the promise that at least then you'll get a legit finish

TNA: We Are Wrestling That Fucking Company

• Options
    I hear what you are saying, but you do realize he's a heel, and that the last match was pretty good despite the finish, right? Heels don't exactly win clean, it is kind of part of being a heel.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    eh dq finishes don't really bother me most of the time

and I don't really see why people get super upset by them

• Options
    If it was 3-4 months from now and the guy had won by nothing but DQs during PPVs and weeklies, I could see that being really annoying. Having said that, I'm generally more of a fan of heels that are great wrestlers who win matches clean on a ppv or two and also are assholes. Not, the only way they win is by cheating.

But really, it is pro wrestling, that is part of the gimmick at this point with heels.

• Options
    I hear what you are saying, but you do realize he's a heel, and that the last match was pretty good despite the finish, right? Heels don't exactly win clean, it is kind of part of being a heel.

I know.

He's done the same shit on Impact too. All the time.

You would think that at least on a PPV, he could actually take it to a legit finish. Like holding tights I could understand and be OK with, or a low blow. But this is the second PPV in a row where he has successfully defended the belt on a BS finish. Why would people pay for that?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I do like heels to win clean once in awhile as well, but again, in WWE or TNA or any wrestling fed for that matter I don't expect it. Heels win by being heels. This isn't somehow unique to TNA at all and WWE does it on PPVs as well as weeklies constantly.

Amikron Devalia on
This discussion has been closed.