As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Chamack to score 30 goals for West Ham

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mattocks has been pretty damn impressive, considering he missed the start of the season after badly burning his upper body cooking.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Rangers getting dumped into division three of the Scottish league.

Seems about right to me.

edit: and then like a minute later john terry is found not guilty of being a racist cunt

just a cunt then

815165 on
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Mattocks has been pretty damn impressive, considering he missed the start of the season after badly burning his upper body cooking.

Truly the difference between MLS and the Premier League. Our players would never subject themselves to cooking their own meals, they burn houses not themselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, John Terry not guilty of racism... still a huge cunt though.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, John Terry not guilty of racism... still a huge cunt though.

The details of the exchange are, to me, utterly hilarious: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/13/john-terry-cleared-anton-ferdinand?newsfeed=true

it's like Hemingway and Wilde having a heated debate.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Any chance the FA will do the right thing and bring Terry up on a charge of bringing the game into disrepute? (I think that#s what it's called)

On a different tack, I guess I'm the only Spurs fan here?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Okay what the fuck is going on in Vancouver? They just traded Sebastien Le Toux to NYRB for Dane Richards. This is coming right off the heels of them losing Davide Chiumiento (their most creative player, imo), who requested to be traded because he was so homesick.

• Options
    Le Toux hasn't done much here. He runs all day and night but he wasn't creating chances or scoring much.

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Also

lol rangers

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    Beckham in form tonight, 2 goals in the first 25 minutes off a free-kick and a classic Beckham bender. And now a Donovan PK, so Timbers score in the 2nd minute and allow 3 unanswered.

ed holy crap now Keane makes it 4-1in the 29th min.

OTP.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    406039_10151058645904113_559121488_n.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Apparently this may explain the Le Toux trade for the Whitecaps.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Rangers getting dumped into division three of the Scottish league.

Seems about right to me.

it was fun pretending there was some semblance of competition in Scotland

oh well

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Rangers getting dumped out of the SPL, can only be a good thing. Supporters from other clubs didn't care about who came first out of Celtic or Rangers, so I doubt they're fussed that it's going to be Celtic now. The 2nd spot and its rewards are now up for grabs.

Also, those teams can attempt to actually change some things in the league. The SPL requires an 11-1 vote to change how it works; so any previous attempt at making the league more competitive basically got stopped by Celtic and Rangers, who liked the arrangement where they were at the top getting most of the money. With Rangers gone, maybe some things can be done.

Celtic now don't have to spend so much to compete with (a cheating) Rangers. In the short term, yes, I imagine Celtic are going to walk away with the title, but maybe the other teams can close the gap in a few seasons Sevco aren't there.

From what I've read, season tickets are up for nearly all of the other clubs. Now would be the time for those supporters to get behind their clubs and back them up over their decision to get rid of Rangers.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    That's a very romantic view unfortunately it doesn't seem to be very likely.
    The benefits of finishing second behind Celtic are going to decrease very quickly as our European Co-Efficient goes down, Celtic haven't even reached the group stage of the Champions League since 2008 with their current income, so as that decreases I imagine so will their chances.
    As for "maybe some things can be done" about the distribution of money in the SPL now Rangers are gone. Well the amount of money going into the SPL is going to be drastically reduced. Some chairmen are talking about up to 5 teams going into administration this year due to the all the contracts having to be renogotiated as the interest in the SPL without Old Firm games is tiny. So there is absolutely no financial benefit to the clubs from this decision.
    Season tickets may be up, not sure how true that is, and I severely doubt there will be any long term increase in attendances as clubs have to sell their current players because they can't afford the contracts they had them on due to the TV deals, and won't be able to bring in replacements of the same ability so the standard of quality will probably drop from its already low perch.
    I agree completely with the decision to put Rangers in division 3, but I fail to see how it "can only be a good thing". I don't see competition increasing, as at the end of the day we now have one team in the SPL getting income from 60,000 fans every week and the next best will be about 15,000. (Hearts were 3rd last year with an average of 13,000 so I'm being generous and assuming they will increase that this year, although since they've struggled to pay wages even on their current income then I think they may be struggling to avoid admin this season.)

I personally view this as a time to change Scottish Football completely. Summer football (why a country with a climate like us decides to miss out the best 3 months for playing football baffles me) and teams only playing each other twice a season seems like a good start.

• Options
    Muppetman wrote: »
    Any chance the FA will do the right thing and bring Terry up on a charge of bringing the game into disrepute? (I think that#s what it's called)

On a different tack, I guess I'm the only Spurs fan here?

Another one here, chief!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Fwiw, the league of Ireland introduced summer football a few years ago and there was pretty much no increase in attendances. Hell, a premier league club folded like a month ago because they weren't bringing in enough fans to pay the bills.

• Options
    It must of helped with the postponing of games? I imagine that costs the Scottish league a bit of money each season having to cancel and re arrange stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Okay, this is hilarious:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18864565

Les Davies is now on UEFA's yearly "Best player in Europe" list because a single Welsh journalist nominated him. Davies is now on a list that includes 13 Premier League players, Leo Messi, and Ronaldo. He currently plays for Bangor City in the Welsh Premier League. The journalist that nominated him deserves a medal for such a blatant abuse of power for the sake of comedy.

Full list:
    Uefa best player in Europe long list: Aguero (Manchester City), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Balotelli (Manchester City), Blaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Buffon (Juventus), Casillas (Real Madrid), Cech (Chelsea), Coentrao (Real Madrid), Davies (Bangor City), Drogba (Shanghai Shenhua), Fabregas (Barcelona), Falcao (Atletico Madrid), Hart (Manchester City), Ibrahimovic (AC Milan), Iniesta (Barcelona), Kagawa (Manchester Utd), Kompany (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Messi (Barcelona), Modric (Tottenham), Ozil (Real Madrid), Pepe (Real Madrid), Pirlo (Juventus), Ramos (Real Madrid), Raul (Al-Sadd Sports Club), Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Rooney (Manchester Utd), Silva (Manchester City), Torres (Chelsea), Y Toure (Manchester City), van Persie (Arsenal), Xavi (Barcelona).

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DanWeino wrote: »
    It must of helped with the postponing of games? I imagine that costs the Scottish league a bit of money each season having to cancel and re arrange stuff.

We just played through the bad weather. It was actually pretty rare for games to get cancelled here (it seems like a much bigger occurrence in Scotland)

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Apparently this may explain the Le Toux trade for the Whitecaps.

That picture at the top of the article has got to be the derpiest ever.
    Poor guy...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Apparently no one in London wants to watch the Olympic Soccer Tournament: Reuters on 500k tix being withdrawn, covering parts of the stadiums, etc.

• Options
    Lol, its the fact that most of the games aren't in London that is the problem. My girlfriend was offered tickets in Coventry, but fuck that, it's miles away. It's a sure fire way to guarantee no one interested in the olympics will go to them, as everyone wants to see a main event, in London (mostly, sod off sailing, we could of done it in the river!) anyone travelling is not going to want to go London -> Coventry - > Home if they have tickets to more than one event.

Venues are:

Coventry, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Cardiff, Wembley)

Two are in different countries (Although they get let off this as technically it is GB not England at the olympics).

They should of just given them to local schools to the grounds. My girlfriend works in Enfield, yet the school was given tickets to a game in Coventry. And guess how many they got?

For the whole school. Not even worth putting a coach on, so the school decided to offer them to teachers instead of letting 9 kids go as it would of been difficult explaining to the other few hundred kids. That wasn't even one per class.

Ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    A lot of the football takes place outside of London though, even in Wales and Scotland which is where the biggest amount of unsold tickets are. I think it's only Wembley in London that's hosting games and they were always going to struggle to sell 90,000+ tickets for anything but the final (although with ticket prices between £40-185 I doubt they'll be a sell out for that either). I'd also like to go to see a couple of games at Wembley but the process for buying tickets was pretty convoluted before and I don't know what days I'll have off of work yet, as with all bars and restaurants in central London we're expecting a massive spike in visitors so chances are I will be working quite a lot. If they are selling tickets at the gate and I'm off that day I'd probably go unless it were Egypt vs New Zealand or something.

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • Options
    how is player eligibility for Olympic football decided? What is stopping someone like Spain from fielding their best possible team and steamrolling everything?

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    how is player eligibility for Olympic football decided? What is stopping someone like Spain from fielding their best possible team and steamrolling everything?

Its U-21 squads + 3 older players.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Age.
    Since 1992 male competitors must be under 23 years old, with three over-23 players allowed per squad.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Wait, so there are at least 4 premiere league stadia and wembley in London proper and they're only using wembley? Lol games organizers. Giving tix to all students at the schools in the area would have been much better than just covering seats unsold.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Yup, they could have hosted it all in London, although that may have added an extra heart attack or two amongst the members of the Met Police (but it's all good, we have the army on the streets now! not when London was being looted, but for a glorified sports day).Although I can't imagine there would be any kind of trouble compared to a normal football match, unless Mexico and Gabon have some heated rivarly I never heard about. But I suppose it was intended to spread people out a bit.

Also I doubt they will get 25k people at each game, so in London you could have used:

25,700 Fulham
    26,225 Crystal Palace
    27,111 Charlton Athletic
    35,303 West Ham United
    36,230 Tottenham Hotspur
    42,449 Chelsea
    60,361 Arsenal

The four smallest ones there, plus wembley. Job done. Not that I would want to show the world Upton Park adn the surrounding area, it's a shit hole.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Ibrahimovic's net salary at PSG: 14 million €.
    Fucking hell.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    First Chelsea, then Man City. Then PSG, then that one Russian club Anzhi Mahkachawhatever, then Malaga.

Eventually, the world is going to run out of oil tycoons right? What will club soccer do then?

• Options
    Move on to natural gas tycoons :rotate:

• Options
    Do you own a phone? Do you like managing the footballs? Because Football Manager Handheld 2012 (FMH2012 for acronym fans) is now cheaper than it was. I grabbed it for £2.99 on Android last night.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    It's waaaay too easy though. Have won the A-League premiership, championship, asian champions league and club world cup 3 years running. I have bought no players. Through winning those club world cups I have beaten Real Madrid once and Barcelona twice.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Hahahahahah. Seattle all up in Chelsea's bizz.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Glad I was there to send off Levesque, but this is gonna be the last of these kinds of friendlies I attend. The temporary grass that they install for these things is utter shit and I really hope that Brad Evans is not injured in any lasting fashion.

edit: Evans saying on Twitter that he's okay. Still, I can't take the stress of seeing another player twist and fall on these awful temporary surfaces for a meaningless game. Not coming to another.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Ledley King is retiring from professional football, but will be staying on at Spurs in an ambassadorial role. Dude should be coaching the defence.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18902734

It's a shame, but I saw it coming. His training regime sounds like it's been "is my knee a balloon? If yes, sit and hope I can play. If no, sit and hope I can play".

forumsig.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    still remember him coming into the national team pretty green at euro 2004 and marking thierry henry out of the game

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    It's waaaay too easy though. Have won the A-League premiership, championship, asian champions league and club world cup 3 years running. I have bought no players. Through winning those club world cups I have beaten Real Madrid once and Barcelona twice.

Not when every other game ends in a last-minute goal to equalise. I take every one as a personal insult.

forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.