As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This is probably the biggest WTF news story of the year by far. I'm somewhat interested but sadly there's no PC version.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    What is this

I don't even

Alright Obsidian. Your move.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    This is disappointing.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Paper Mario can't be topped.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Haha, not sure that anyone guessed that this was the franchise they were talking about. It's Obsidian so I'm on board but it's maybe not for the PC so fuck me.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the confusion when Bioware announced a Sonic RPG.

I predict similar results.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    No mention of PC....

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    There's some funny stuff in that full sized cover. Kenny's a princess, for instance.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote:
    This is probably the biggest WTF news story of the year by far. I'm somewhat interested but sadly there's no PC version.

Naw, I'd say Capcom doing a Sour Patch Kids game featuring a song by Method Man and voice work by Creed from The Office is a little more WTF.

Barely. Huh. Obsidian's been pretty hit or miss; I suspect they don't handle deadlines well. Let's hope they don't have a strict one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ha ha

WAT

A (most likely) decent RPG based on South Park. I can get on board with that.

Edit: Oh shit... Sean Connery dragon and ManBearPig

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Barely. Huh. Obsidian's been pretty hit or miss; I suspect they don't handle deadlines well. Let's hope they don't have a strict one.

If anything Dungeon Siege III proved that they improved tenfold in the project managment department.

• Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Interesting, very interesting. And on consoles you say?

Huh. Will have to keep an eye on this one.

... Why isn't Butters' reflection Professor Chaos. :(

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Tertiee wrote:

Naw, I'd say Capcom doing a Sour Patch Kids game featuring a song by Method Man and voice work by Creed from The Office is a little more WTF.

Nah, it will be all right. If they still have a quarter of the game unfinished they'll just chop it off and end the game with a long dialog sequence and a 10 second cut-scene. Gold, Print, Ship.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    C2B wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

If anything Dungeon Siege III proved that they improved tenfold in the project managment department.

... great?

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Is it wrong that I would trust Rainbow and Slash with this more than Obsidian?

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    An Obsidian game where they aren't doing the writing?

That seems.. counter intuitive. I mean, that's their biggest strength.

Rather odd. Hope it's good, though.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    TheBenjomonsterTheBenjomonster Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:

Sour Patch Kids are awesome. Method Man is awesome. Creed from the Office is awesome. This one is a lock.

Also, avatar above me =O

TheBenjomonster on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    To paraphrase Yahtzee, you have three seconds to name a show that was made into a decent video game. Time's up. Oh, nothing? Yeah.

• Options
    vsove wrote:

Parker and Stone can write though. Really well.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    vsove wrote:

My guess is they still write on Quests and so on. If its actually the project Tim Cains working on he said that ideas were treated pretty openly in the team.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    To paraphrase Yahtzee, you have three seconds to name a show that was made into a decent video game. Time's up. Oh, nothing? Yeah.

I thought the Buffy video game on the original Xbox was actually pretty damn good.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Turtles have had several decent-to-good games made out of them.

• Options
    joshgotro wrote:
    vsove wrote:

Parker and Stone can write though. Really well.

Oh, I know they can. That's the thing, though - Obsidian's gameplay has never been their strong suit. I suppose they're one of the few well-known RPG developers who'd actually be willing and able to work on something like this, so that makes a certain amount of sense, but still. Just strikes me as odd. Though I guess they have experience writing for an interactive medium, which Parker and Stone may not have, so maybe there's something there.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    And a lot of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games were great.

edit: Beat by reVerse.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2011

TSAG_DOS_front.jpg

Checkmate.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The exclusive XBox one. It's a very good 3D brawler/adventure game.

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox/524512-buffy-the-vampire-slayer/index.html
    Is it wrong that I would trust Rainbow and Slash with this more than Obsidian?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but my opinion of South Park is very low (and my opinion of the creators is even lower) so there's no way on earth we would have accepted such a job.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    I mean, I hope this turns out well. Alpha Protocol was one of my favourite games in a long time. Thing is, that was because of the writing, and in spite of the gameplay continuously infuriating me. So I view this with a little trepidation - but I have faith. Just struck me as a bit strange.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Also, the South Park tower defense game seems alright. Though, I only played the trial.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ive always thought South Park as an MMO would work wonderfully.

Mecha-Strissand as and end game raid boss.

Classes based off the Coon and Friends super heroes. Mint-berry-crunch is a healer, Tool-Shed tanks... it works great.

Enemies all bases off the celebs that south park makes fun of. Half the game is practically done from the start if the ideas from each episode was used. Sword of a thousand truths would be a piece of loot at some point.

Character creation is a drag and drop of south park character parts so everyone can make a unique looking south park toon.

Honestly it works better than most of the shitty ass MMOs out there...

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Character creator already exists as well.

http://www.sp-studio.de/

• Options
    I enjoy South Park, and with Parker and Stone writing this I'll be sold on the script in a heartbeat.

But.

Having never played an Obsidian game outside of Neverwinter Nights 2 (garbage) I'm cautious about being burnt. I'll wait and see further developments.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I actually liked the recent Simpsons game (the 360/PS3 one). Then again, I only paid $10 for it. It was definitely fun at that price though.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    All I had to do was read the name "Mintberry Crunch" and was sent into a barely controlled fit of laughter. The Coon and Friends story arc is one of my favorites.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Lego_Star_Wars_III_-_The_Clone_Wars_Coverart.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    This was really unexpected.
    But yeah, no mention of PC. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Since it's Game Informer, I don't find the non-mention of PC to be too worrying. Most console-specific publications don't mention it.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Now that the shock has worn off time for rampant speculation. THQ and RPG together sounds a lot like Costume Quest. Obsidian's job openings did mention for an XBLA programmer but since the article says "full-scale RPG" and mentions voice work I'm guessing this will be a retail product.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    if it's half as good as the south park FPS ill buy it twice

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Odd to think there's a possibility of good South Park games in our future.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    From Twitter:

EverymansReview: "Don't forget THQ as a publisher. Now all we need is Bethesda for QA."