As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek is Our Business

• Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    There's an omnibus edition of Destiny coming out on March 13. Author says:
    I did a fair bit of fine-tuning on these three books during the editing and production phase on this new edition, and I consider this new trade paperback omnibus to be the definitive edition of the trilogy. If you haven’t yet read the trilogy, or want to gift it to someone, this is the version I most recommend.

I just stumbled across this, thought I should post it what with the current thread of discussion. I can't find info of a Kindle edition but I guess if there is one it might turn out to be more economical.

Gone.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    EvilRedEye wrote: »
    There's an omnibus edition of Destiny coming out on March 13. Author says:
    I did a fair bit of fine-tuning on these three books during the editing and production phase on this new edition, and I consider this new trade paperback omnibus to be the definitive edition of the trilogy. If you haven’t yet read the trilogy, or want to gift it to someone, this is the version I most recommend.

I just stumbled across this, thought I should post it what with the current thread of discussion. I can't find info of a Kindle edition but I guess if there is one it might turn out to be more economical.

If anyone is interested, the omnibus is listed at $19, and Amazon has it at $12.92. Edit: Physical copy, of course.

Edit 2: The first 4 books of the DS9 relaunch (Twist of Faith) are on Kindle for 13.99.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    I've just done a search for 'Star Trek' listed by release date on Amazon.co.uk. One of the books listed is Wesley Crusher: Teenage F#ck Machine by someone who calls herself Kitty Glitter. Um?

Gone.
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    I looked at the amazon page and reviews for Kitty Glitter's products. Troll art or something, I guess.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I wonder how Kate Mulgrew feels about Janeway being hated so much.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

IIRC she didn't like how erratic the character was written, either.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

well she still thinks there's a chance she'll be in a Star Trek movie, so i'd say she's pretty oblivious or delusional.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

well she still thinks there's a chance she'll be in a Star Trek movie, so i'd say she's pretty oblivious or delusional.

Or wants a big paycheck. Not that I'd blame her were that the case.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I think she probably just doesn't give a toss.

An actor will say there's a chance they'll be in a movie until the movie's made. Unless they're actually sick of the role or ending it according to a plan (like Bale and Batman), but it's Star Trek so anything can happen ever.

I watched the captains and she didn't seem to care all that much, it was a fun seven years ten years ago.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I'm convinced by the end she started playing Janeway as intentionally crazy.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular

She did, actually. There was an interview where she mentioned that she really hated how her personality varied from episode to episode since B&B and the other writers couldn't write for shit. So she started deliberately playing her as bi-polar and as if she was in the middle of a nervous breakdown.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »

She did, actually. There was an interview where she mentioned that she really hated how her personality varied from episode to episode since B&B and the other writers couldn't write for shit. So she started deliberately playing her as bi-polar and as if she was in the middle of a nervous breakdown.

Which, had the writing been better, is actually a pretty decent story arc - new captain gets stranded 50 years (or whatever) from home decides to try and trek it back and has a breakdown along the way. Really, it should have been an arc that spanned the entire series.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Instead, we get the delightful stylings of SFDebris, who decides to interpret it as Janeway always having been a narcissitic blood-crazed psychopath.

In the end, I think that's almost worth it, yes?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    emp123 wrote: »

Which, had the writing been better, is actually a pretty decent story arc - new captain gets stranded 50 years (or whatever) from home decides to try and trek it back and has a breakdown along the way. Really, it should have been an arc that spanned the entire series.

For all the shit Kate Mulgrew gets for her role in Voyager, she doesn't seem to be a bad actor. She just seems to have been ham-strung by some shitty writers. Hell, the fact that she did that CSI parody on Adult Swim speaks leagues of her ability to not take things too seriously.

Ironically, Seven of Nine, the character introduced for the sole purpose of fan-service, is one of the most well written characters on the show, and gets plenty of character development. That always struck me as hilarious.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Rewatching the last arc of DS9

It is incredibly, incredibly amusing that Kai Winn's given name sounds like "A dummy"

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Kai Winn always irritated me, but in a good way. She's like Umbridge from Harry Potter, you love to hate her.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Kai Winn always irritated me, but in a good way. She's like Umbridge from Harry Potter, you love to hate her.
    Yeah, I totally hated what the character represented, and her actions were despicable. But she's well made

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    For all the shit Kate Mulgrew gets for her role in Voyager, she doesn't seem to be a bad actor. She just seems to have been ham-strung by some shitty writers. Hell, the fact that she did that CSI parody on Adult Swim speaks leagues of her ability to not take things too seriously.

Her voice work was the highlight of the Dragon Age games, especially Dragon Age 2. Her delivery was amazing.

Go to three minutes and 12 seconds. I love how she says that. Such a great voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXHvR5RRm6M#t=3m12s

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    I re-watched Voyager a few months ago and I respect the actors a lot more. They were given such crap to work with. Especially the hackneyed relationship between Chakotay and Seven of Nine. I realize Star Trek likes it's odd couplings, but come on!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I think Voyager is like the Star Wars prequel trilogy: Any idea proposed by any fan, anywhere, is better than what was actually made.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    I liked the broader strokes of Voyager. I thought having a series-long arc was a better idea than the TNG Variety Show (even though that remains my favorite series for nostalgia's sake). It just felt like it was written independently by 5-6 people in different rooms who weren't allowed to communicate with each other. So the only call-backs to earlier episodes were of their own material. I'm honestly surprised one of them didn't continue mistakenly writing Kes in 3-4 episodes after she left.

They had a good cast. Much improved "made for TV tech." An interesting dynamic in the 'two crews must band together to make their way home.' And there were enough really good scenes that I can't just hate it. I am disappointed, however. :(

• Options
    Time for a good Voyager scene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7px8-7Vd0

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Ironically, Seven of Nine, the character introduced for the sole purpose of fan-service, is one of the most well written characters on the show, and gets plenty of character development. That always struck me as hilarious.

Seven's actress Jeri Ryan banging Braga will do that for a character.

They where even planing to fire Harry Kim's actor to shoehorn her in, but the fact that Garret Wang managed to become of People's magazines Sexiest people list scuttled it(that and firing an Asian actor to introduce a blonde white actress would not go down well).

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Seven's actress Jeri Ryan banging Braga will do that for a character.

They where even planing to fire Harry Kim's actor to shoehorn her in, but the fact that Garret Wang managed to become of People's magazines Sexiest people list scuttled it(that and firing an Asian actor to introduce a blonde white actress would not go down well).

I heard the first explanation for keeping the cardboard cutout of a character that Harry Kim was -- and really, who wouldn't melt for this guy:
    wang_top_left.jpg

But the perception of racism? From a show that introduced a Native American character for the very purpose of being racist against Native Americans? I don't think that thought even crossed their minds.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

See? There was some really solid stuff in there.

Another good one was when B'elanna was split into Human/Klingon by the disease team. And one of them cut off her away team member's face and put it on in an effort to make her more comfortable.

RenaissanceDan on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

If that hologram was programmed to react as Janeway would, why didn't she let out a death scream and rip Fear's head off, bathing in the blood of victory?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

If that hologram was programmed to react as Janeway would, why didn't she let out a death scream and rip Fear's head off, bathing in the blood of victory?

Psychotic beats fear any day! Or she zips in, when fear leans close like he did, her jaw unhinges and she chokes him down like this:

V_2009_Serpent-s_Tooth_S02E02_Anna_eating_large_rat.jpg

• Options

She was too busy relishing the terror he felt at his imminent demise.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Because she only does that on Tuesdays. Thursdays is "cold calculating killer" night.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Most of them weren't bad actors. (some were)

In the end, Voyager is proof positive that in can't rescue a show from a bad script.

• Options
    I watched Season 5 of Voyager recently. There's a comedy episode, Bride of Chaotica!, where a load of photonic lifeforms are being massacred by a rogue holodeck program and Janeway's, like, 'over fifty sentient lifeforms have been killed by our holodeck program, LOL!!!'. I kinda liked that episode but that stood out as particularly jarring.

Gone.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I watched Season 5 of Voyager recently. There's a comedy episode, Bride of Chaotica!, where a load of photonic lifeforms are being massacred by a rogue holodeck program and Janeway's, like, 'over fifty sentient lifeforms have been killed by our holodeck program, LOL!!!'. I kinda liked that episode but that stood out as particularly jarring.

There are some decent episodes. A few weeks back they repeating an episode where Janeway had to rescue crewmen trapped in a homicidal virtual reality that aliens minds were trapped in. It had a clown that was a manifestation of everyone's fears, similar to Pennywise. It was enjoyable to watch.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

There are some decent episodes. A few weeks back they repeating an episode where Janeway had to rescue crewmen trapped in a homicidal virtual reality that aliens minds were trapped in. It had a clown that was a manifestation of everyone's fears, similar to Pennywise. It was enjoyable to watch.

I actually have a massive soft spot for Voyager as, IIRC, it was the first Star Trek show I got into. It probably helped that I got into it through Season 4, as (from my incomplete viewing) it seems that might have been the best season. Year of Hell's great, and I thought the Hirogen made good baddies.

Gone.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I actually have a massive soft spot for Voyager as, IIRC, it was the first Star Trek show I got into. It probably helped that I got into it through Season 4, as (from my incomplete viewing) it seems that might have been the best season. Year of Hell's great, and I thought the Hirogen made good baddies.

Still need to watch Year in Hell.

My first exposure to Trek was TNG.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

The end of that episode is posted on this very page

• Options
    edited March 2012

The end of that episode is posted on this very page

And i've posted that video many times before as an example that the actors (The decent ones.) could do well with good material.

Janeway nails the whole "cold blooded killer of killers of her crew" thing in that episode.

I'm also a fan of alterna-Janeway lounging in her chair on the bridge in that one episode Voyager gets invaded by not-Hirogens and everyone is (presumably) killed as they attempt to take over the ship. She just goes off the deep end in terms of asshattery and being crazy as hell.

"Hi! I'm Captain Kathryn Jane--

"SELF DESTRUCT WILL INITIATE IN FIVE SECONDS!"

"-way! Welcome to the bridge!"

*Shit eating grin.*

*BOOM.*

Sadly, moments like that are few and far between.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The aliens in that case were the vidiians, the ones with the crazy flesh-eating virus pandemic that steal other species' bits to replace the parts that fall off, yet somehow doesn't infect … well, every species they encounter, I guess…

That episode does highlight one of the real problems with Voyager though; egregious continuity errors. I mean, the whole premise of the episode is that the ship goes through some quantum subspace thingamajig and turns into two out-of-phase* duplicates, except for the antimatter because antimatter, right? So they end up sharing the supply and draining it more than twice as fast becaus some of it 'leaks out' or something. Anyway, he point is they don't have enough antimatter to run the ships properly and the two Janeways are trying to out-Janeway each other to get all the juice for themselves when the VD-ans (this is called subtlety, by the way) attack with their shield-penetrating proboscis (see, told you it was subtle) and somehow manage to miss that there are two ships there* allowing Evil!Janeway to come up with her "nuke the site from orbit" plan.
    Except, remember they lost a whole bunch of antimatter? Recall also how the self-destruct mostly requires a bunch of antimatter on tap?
    Yeah.
    And we haven't even touched on the "replacement baby" subplot nor the inconsistencies between episodes.

*P.S. I really wish sci-fi writers would come up with a new way to be "invisible and intangible" because the whole 'phased out' bit is full of holes, but that's just a wee pet peeve of mine.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    An interesting dynamic in the 'two crews must band together to make their way home.'(

This part of the story had massive potential, but it was all sorted into "we're all happy-go-lucky Starfleet crew now. Maquis who?" crap after only two or three episodes. Some of the worst writing in the series, some of the worst acting... I know Robert Beltran hated everything about it, but he and Garrett Wang really made it duller than it was. Another part of the story with great potential was the idea of them running out of supplies and the ship beginning to fall apart from the lack of maintenance, but no, it was dealt with in one or two episodes and then never seen again. Clean uniforms always to hand, the ship always looked pristine and they had enough power to let the captain run around living her fantasies on the holodeck, but not enough to synthesize anything.

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Rohan wrote: »
    An interesting dynamic in the 'two crews must band together to make their way home.'(

This part of the story had massive potential, but it was all sorted into "we're all happy-go-lucky Starfleet crew now. Maquis who?" crap after only two or three episodes. Some of the worst writing in the series, some of the worst acting... I know Robert Beltran hated everything about it, but he and Garrett Wang really made it duller than it was. Another part of the story with great potential was the idea of them running out of supplies and the ship beginning to fall apart from the lack of maintenance, but no, it was dealt with in one or two episodes and then never seen again. Clean uniforms always to hand, the ship always looked pristine and they had enough power to let the captain run around living her fantasies on the holodeck, but not enough to synthesize anything.

That's because the holodeck uses a separate power source, incompatible with the rest of the ship's systems.

I shit you not.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

That's because the holodeck uses a separate power source, incompatible with the rest of the ship's systems.

I shit you not.

That's actually logical IMO.

This discussion has been closed.