As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Old thread. Please lock.

1929394959698»

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So....this is just not clicking with me. Played a few games against bots, and for whatever reason, I'm just not getting the flow of the game. The total lack of escape mechanism "baked in" is messing with my aggression gland. The game has a weird juxtaposed feel to LoL...the laning part in terms of creeps feels so...slow....creeps take forever to take damage. Yet the PvP aspect seems even more bursty and unforgiving.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So....this is just not clicking with me. Played a few games against bots, and for whatever reason, I'm just not getting the flow of the game. The total lack of escape mechanism "baked in" is messing with my aggression gland. The game has a weird juxtaposed feel to LoL...the laning part in terms of creeps feels so...slow....creeps take forever to take damage. Yet the PvP aspect seems even more bursty and unforgiving.

It takes a very long time to learn dota 2. I have about 200 games, and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface. It has the steepest learning curve of any game I've played in a long time. The only thing I can say is, keep at it; every time you feed, lose a game, whatever, try and figure out why your enemy beat you and then try and do that next game.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Windrunner's ult is only useful when she's high enough level and has enough farm to make use of it. Specifically, there's no reason for anyone to ever just stand around and get shot in the face, and in team fights where you have to switch targets it's next to useless.

But once she has level 4 shackle and some damage you can put the hurt on single targets by landing the shackle and then immediately ulting. Those few seconds of free damage add up and in many situations is more damaging than shackle into powershot. And then you still have the powershot for when they try to run.

Comebacks can be a misleading term. In dota you can build early game teams, mid game teams, and late game teams. It's actually very expected for a late game team to win regardless of how badly they do in the early and mid games, as long as they can survive long enough. That's how games used to play, when lanes were mostly 2-1-2 or 1-1-3 with babysitters and hard farmers. For example, you can have a stupendous mid game with Enchantress, but after 50 minutes the Spectre on the other team can get enough farm that it wont matter, because Enchantress can't beat Spectre after 50 minutes. These types of games used to be quite common back when pushing wasn't the norm in competitive play. You'd have teams built around heroes like Medusa and Morphling and they'd spend 45 straight minutes just farming while the rest of their team kept their opponents busy. That's why it was so sudden and unexpected when pushing really startet to take over. You'd see a team like Na'Vi going for push lineups against hard carries and winning in 30 minutes while the other team's hard carry didn't have the levels or items to do anything.

That's also why I hate playing long games. :<

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    6A110F87B87168E314A56D530F1E7D7004282FDD

<- Assist King

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    WR's ult can also be used to push down towers.

Terribly narrow use for an ult, sure, but it's there.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    Alright, I have 1 beta key to give away.

But, if I give it to you you have to play with me and make me better

qFN53.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Oh ho ho ho, just went 21/4/14 with Weaver in a game. I think that's the first time I've ever hard carried a game in any moba. Feels good man. His kit is sweet, but he melts so fast that you really have to know when, and where to engage.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Flay wrote: »
    I really suck at this game, can't even beat the bots yet. I think I should try someone other than Lich, maybe Tidehunter?

Add me on steam if you want someone to play with Flay, we're on similar time zones after all.
    My steam name is identical to this.

@Stimtokolos: Sure thing!

I think I'm getting the hang of Tidehunter too.

Flay on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular

Unlike in LoL you actually need to know when to say "no, this fight is going poorly, time to get out". Map awareness is also required so that you don't blunder into three enemies and let them rape you. LoL is the Fisher Price My First Dota, perhaps that's the sticking point for you?

• Options
    Senshi, dare I say that your venom against LoL might actually drive prospective players away from even trying DOTA2.

Comeon man. :(

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    If I am stunned, can I queue up an ability to be used as soon as the stun ends? If yes, how? Shift click it? Can it be done with all forms of CC?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Senshi, dare I say that your venom against LoL might actually drive prospective players away from even trying DOTA2.

Comeon man. :(

The fewer idiots who come from LoL and buy boots and a clarity first, the better

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Sensi, stop being an asshole.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Thanks to Senshi, for personifying exactly why people think the DotA community is full of shitcocks. I'll just go back to LoL if this is the general attitude people are going to have. Can I give this beta away to anyone, or is it stuck to my account? It wasn't a code, I got the invite directly from Steam.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Don't think steam will let you do that.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Thanks to Senshi, for personifying exactly why people think the DotA community is full of shitcocks. I'll just go back to LoL if this is the general attitude people are going to have. Can I give this beta away to anyone, or is it stuck to my account? It wasn't a code, I got the invite directly from Steam.
    There are plenty of people over in LoL exactly like Senshi, don't be silly.

I don't see how you can say this is a general attitude when he's the only one spazzing out.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

I think you're stuck with it. The funny thing is the 2 games have a lot more in common than some DOTA diehards might be willing to admit. Probably less assholes in DOTA 2 right now due to the smaller population anyway.

• Options
    Especially because it's a beta and people can't just make new accounts to circumvent bans or mutes from being reported In-Game.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    If 1 person saying something on an online forum is enough to get you to quit then you obviously don't like the game. Go play lol instead. It makes no difference.

stream
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    play whichever one you have more fun doing!

fun is relative

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    If I am stunned, can I queue up an ability to be used as soon as the stun ends? If yes, how? Shift click it? Can it be done with all forms of CC?

i actually think this just happens normally but it's possible they changed it

i swear not even a month ago i would use spells while stunned and they would get cast the moment i am able to automatically

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    That's not really the point, I don't think.

Dota 2's community is in it's infancy. How its players from beta conduct themselves when the game actually launches will set the tone for how a lot of people perceive it. ARTS games don't have to be unfriendly to new players, but some asshole veterans think it's their job. Why not just chill the fuck out and help people? As long as you phrase it nicely or sound friendly on the mic, most people are pretty open to suggestions.

I guess saying "LOL wat a fagget league player starting boots uninstall u homo" in all chat is pretty constructive though, right?

• Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    if there's any happy thought re: the community issue, it's that DotA 2's community will likely never reach the low, low, low level of HoN's.

--says me, a chat assist user, 2012

a4i9N.png
  • Options
    Dota 2's community is hardly in it's infancy. The game is older than all of its competition. And it's not like there aren't actually 6 digits of players frothing at the bit to get into the beta and eventually buy the game.

I mean, being unfriendly is one thing, but don't pretend that dota 2 has some intense need to attract tons of new players for it to succeed. Because it's not. If you don't like dota 2 or are the type who gets butthurt every time someone makes a snide comment then the game will do fine without you. Just like lol is doing fine without all the people who don't like it. Just move on.

stream
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    pardzh wrote: »
    I guess saying "LOL wat a fagget league player starting boots uninstall u homo" in all chat is pretty constructive though, right?
    The worst I've ever seen is someone telling another player to go back to league when they do poorly, which isn't even what happened here. Also, it doesn't really matter how people act in the beta because people already have this preconceived notion of the DotA community as toxic and vile - I really doubt anything is going to change that (even though it really isn't any worse than the community of similar games, and it has mute/report functionality already in the game...)

Anyway, DotA2 is in beta and so it doesn't really have the (in-game) resources to help new players. I don't know what matchmaking is like if you say you are new to the game, but I imagine it isn't very helpful. There's no real tutorials, either, and I don't think bot games teach players anything, so learning the game is an arduous task.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Free to play communities are always the worst. HoN's beta was full of the worst people in the universe, and it pretty much cleared up once there was a pay gate.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I mean, I generally give zero fucks about some random internet Dota turd flaming me. I'm just sayin', by offering a little advice instead of being a douche, there's potential for that person to learn from a misplay. Hey, maybe they'll even keep learning the game and end up as a halfway decent player on a team of yours in the future.

You guys like the idea of e-sports, right? You want it to get big? Stop being so closed to the idea of new people coming to the game. The NFL doesn't rule the television waves by telling college seniors from D1 schools to "go back to college" when they don't excel as rookie, learning a new style of football they've probably never played.

e: and yeah, I understand that Dota is already huge.

pardzh on

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    There are plenty of people over in LoL exactly like Senshi, don't be silly.

I don't see how you can say this is a general attitude when he's the only one spazzing out.

Agreeing with TehSpectre, Senshi is an asshole who happens to play Dota2, not because he plays Dota2. There are plenty of nice PA people playing the game. It is the old vocal minority tainting the reputation of the whole community thing.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    dota 2 is a beta and it already has a higher e-sports presence than most commercial competitive games. The only thing holding it back is the lack of Chinese players, which is quickly changing.

The only thing new players will effect is standard pubs. As a competitive game dota 2 needs no help at all.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I'll only be a jerk and blame you for a loss in game. Especially if it's my fault. :P

Also, I only call vets bad at the game. They deserve it, though.

I'll always be nice here. <3

Also, there are a few people from PA who I have seen engage in some serious shit-talking and it always makes me sad. We should be classier than others!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    blaming other people for a loss is the most important part of the pubbing experience (in any game, really)

after all, it could never be your fault that your team lost.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Exactly.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    impossible! i am a god at video games

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Neal even blames other people for losses in his LoL sig!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PantomimePantomime Registered User regular
    still looking to trade for another invite.