As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] Psycho Sexy

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I guess it depends where you live. Where I grew up there was lots of drunk driving, as pubs were few and far between as were houses, so people inevitably would need to drink somewhere outside of their house on a regular basis. If they were lucky, someone else would drive them back. If not, well, they put themselves and others at risk. Anyway, drink driving was a big problem in the country so I support the crackdown there. Perhaps not so much in central London

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    chu that sounds like the kind of thing a person does when they are unable to cope with the idea they did something very wrong.

it's very possible. i'm sure the statistics are especially massaged when people are looking to absolve themselves of fault.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Maybe I cocked up and didn't put in any baking powder.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Wait are people seriously implying that some amount of drinking should be acceptable for drivers.

Fucking no. The only reason BAC is not meant to be 0 in law is because using mouth wash can make you fail a breathalyser test.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    alas i dunno that i can put into words why swords are funny to me

they just are

yet another reason why chut hates me :l

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    alas i dunno that i can put into words why swords are funny to me

they just are

yet another reason why chut hates me :l

you've got it all wrong

i love you

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    sword are funny for the same reason that wearing a fedora without looking like a huge nerd is almost impossible.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    But like I've said before I do think our views on consent change based on what the drunk person is doing. It's a very odd thing in society. A drunk person cannot legally agree to fuck but they are 100% responsible if they drive. I'm not saying laws should be change but it is societal hypocrisy.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote:
    I guess it depends where you live. Where I grew up there was lots of drunk driving, as pubs were few and far between as were houses, so people inevitably would need to drink somewhere outside of their house on a regular basis. If they were lucky, someone else would drive them back. If not, well, they put themselves and others at risk. Anyway, drink driving was a big problem in the country so I support the crackdown there. Perhaps not so much in central London
    I think the general emptiness made drunk driving less of a problem in general though. If you're likely to only see a few other cards and not have to deal with pedestrians, roundabouts and sudden situation changes then you can afford to relax things a little.

Clearly, we just need Google to unveil it's robot cars and then give them to us free in exchange for us handing them our passports so they can sell the details on.

• Options
    i need a sign for my yard that says this home protected by high carbon steel

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Buy a Google Robot Car and never get a(nother) DUI!

:D

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Ludious wrote:
    But like I've said before I do think our views on consent change based on what the drunk person is doing. It's a very odd thing in society. A drunk person cannot legally agree to fuck but they are 100% responsible if they drive. I'm not saying laws should be change but it is societal hypocrisy.

i thought that the host of the function or establishment serving liquor was at least partially liable for drunk driving accidents?

also, i think the key difference is that, in one case, you are the victim, and in another case, you are the perpetrator. drunkenness never absolves the perpetrator of any act, legally, I believe - if you slug some guy because you're drunk, you still get charged with assault, right?

• Options
    i need a sign for my yard that says this home protected by high carbon steel

Oh Skippy... you so crazy.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    I am concerned that Google's robot cars are evil or powered by blood or something given how they seem to be doing it on the sly.

• Options
    look im not saying im a ninja

i mean ive made some improvements on their technique

• Options
    all that said about swords being nerdy

one of my favorite things to do in a videogame is watch/listen to the animation of drawing and sheathing a sword again and again :3

• Options
    i also enjoy this with drawing and holstering a gun

animation is cool to me :l

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote:

i thought that the host of the function or establishment serving liquor was at least partially liable for drunk driving accidents?

also, i think the key difference is that, in one case, you are the victim, and in another case, you are the perpetrator. drunkenness never absolves the perpetrator of any act, legally, I believe - if you slug some guy because you're drunk, you still get charged with assault, right?

Yes I agree but consent is a decision, a value judgement. I find it odd that we apply it differently when at the end of the day, they're both decisions made while on a substance that affects decision making.

• Options
    this ricotta is a little overwhelming

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:

"It was the alcohol punching."

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    By arbitrary I mean that BAC doesn't represent a 1:1 view of behavior. Someone who is 0.08 or whatever the legal limit is, is not necessarily impaired in the least, whereas there are people at 0.07 who are shitfaced.

law has to be arbitrary in some cases

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

"It was the alcohol punching."

"But I had three Rum Punches!"

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    By arbitrary I mean that BAC doesn't represent a 1:1 view of behavior. Someone who is 0.08 or whatever the legal limit is, is not necessarily impaired in the least, whereas there are people at 0.07 who are shitfaced.

absolutely, as far as first contact resolution is concerned, but it's once you're at trial that I think other metrics could be applied.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    there's a guy at my school who wears a fedora with t-shirts and cargo shorts

he once told me that he was "smarter than every cop"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

Well I mean he probably is to be fair.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

thanatos?

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

your school needs a couple of bullies

• Options
    skippy you're home on a saturday and you can't gchat with your buddy chu? :(

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

absolutely, as far as first contact resolution is concerned, but it's once you're at trial that I think other metrics could be applied.

Like "here, how many pints did you drink that night?"

"Three, your honor."

"Here." The judge pours the defendant three pints of Budweiser. "Drink up."

The defendant does.

"No, the bailiff will lead you outside to the Drunkmobile. If you can drive in a circle around my bailiff without killing him, the charges will be dropped."

"Yesth yer honors. By the way if I thold you you had a beautiful body would you hit me with yer gavel?"

"Yes."

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

Yes I agree but consent is a decision, a value judgement. I find it odd that we apply it differently when at the end of the day, they're both decisions made while on a substance that affects decision making.

the logic here seems to be rather practical - being drunk affects decision making, so while being drunk you can't be considered to have given consent, but more to the point, the legal structure makes it a poor idea to have sex with a drunk person if there is ANY ambiguity about consent (which it is) and promotes proper behaviour. given the ambiguity of consent, the default when your faculties are compromised is that you cannot give it, because that is what keeps people safe and prevents abuse.

it's different when the decision you make is unambiguous; clearly, you decided to drive the vehicle. was your decision to drive while impaired facilitated by the very fact that you are impaired? probably. but the decision was made. i think it's fairly evident that a person who is drunk is still able to make the right decision about drunk driving; if they make the wrong one, then there's already something wrong with their attitude towards drinking and driving, regardless of their sobriety. the effect of punishing that indiscretion is to deter them in the future and change that attitude (whether through correction or through fear of consequence), and similarly deter others.

i think they're both pretty pragmatic.

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

Alternative answer: Personally, I'd rather let Data sort that out.

• Options
    See, it works with Data or data.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    yes, thanatos goes to my school. I joined to troll him.

• Options
    if two drunk people have sex does anyone get in trouble

• Options
    r
    Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

the logic here seems to be rather practical - being drunk affects decision making, so while being drunk you can't be considered to have given consent, but more to the point, the legal structure makes it a poor idea to have sex with a drunk person if there is ANY ambiguity about consent (which it is) and promotes proper behaviour. given the ambiguity of consent, the default when your faculties are compromised is that you cannot give it, because that is what keeps people safe and prevents abuse.

it's different when the decision you make is unambiguous; clearly, you decided to drive the vehicle. was your decision to drive while impaired facilitated by the very fact that you are impaired? probably. but the decision was made. i think it's fairly evident that a person who is drunk is still able to make the right decision about drunk driving; if they make the wrong one, then there's already something wrong with their attitude towards drinking and driving, regardless of their sobriety. the effect of punishing that indiscretion is to deter them in the future and change that attitude (whether through correction or through fear of consequence), and similarly deter others.

i think they're both pretty pragmatic.

I definitely see your point and agree with it to a point. It's just so often with regards to sexual consent, both parties are drunk, and that's where I have the problem.

• Options
    Butt-wise her.

• Options
    Oh yes.

Just in case you non-Secret Santa peoples aren't keeping up with the thread, this is the gift that Element Brian got for me.
    SAM_0125.jpg

Steam
  • Options
    Organichu wrote:

unfortunately, yes

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

unfortunately, yes

WHAT

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Oh yes.

Just in case you non-Secret Santa peoples aren't keeping up with the thread, this is the gift that Element Brian got for me.
    SAM_0125.jpg

Nice. I still owe pictures. And I need to get my gift out the door. I'm sick today. :(

This discussion has been closed.