As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paul Christoforo vs. The World or How to stop worrying and love the internet bomb

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Personally, I think this is going was too far.

Yeah, the dude is fired and professionally ruined. He was a joke to start out with, but this investigative internet rage circle is getting a little out of hand.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Well the problem is that you've now got a dozen big news sites running with this and none of them are in sync about it. So while there's been an official statement from Avenger saying Ocean is out of the picture and they're gonna fix things, you've still got other sites looking up the dude's OK Cupid profile for shits and giggles because they don't know it's been resolved so they're still in "destroy" mode.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

Yeah, the dude is fired and professionally ruined. He was a joke to start out with, but this investigative internet rage circle is getting a little out of hand.

I think they're just checking up on his search engine optimization.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

Once these things get started, there's no real reigning them in. Thats the Internets man. Still, no one hung the guy. He was provided all the rope, and did it to himself. This guy will be old news in a week.

• Options
    Avulsion235Avulsion235 Registered User regular
    And now perhaps the Christoforo has gotten the axe?
    [UPDATED] http://www.natesnetwork.com/Poor-customer-service

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Has his termination been formally announced yet?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

I think they're just checking up on his search engine optimization.

:^:

• Options
    TharsmanTharsman Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:

It appears so:

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It always surprises me to see how many complete assholes are out there in circulation, and how many of those work in technology-based fields.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Tharsman wrote:
    Wash wrote:

It appears so:

Christoforo is apparently impersonating various other employees of the company so that may or may not be accurate.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Oh, hubris. That ravishing silk dress. That delicious banquet she spread for you. That shine in her eyes, that suggestion in her laugh.

"Don't go off with her, Christoforo! You know better! You've heard the tales! None come back!"

But who can resist her?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    So, how long until this is the basis of a "reputation dot com" ad on ESPN Radio?

aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Someone pointed out in the Penny Arcade Hub that the only Amazon reviews for the product are five stars and those accounts have reviewed only that product, nothing else. "Sock puppeting" was the phrase used.

What is this Penny Arcade Hub?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/5871400/cut-paul-oceanmarketting-christoforo-a-breakhe-probably-just-has-roid-rage

update on the "cut paul" story... Paul did spoof someone else's e-mail to reply to a journalist this morning.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    tinyfist wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Someone pointed out in the Penny Arcade Hub that the only Amazon reviews for the product are five stars and those accounts have reviewed only that product, nothing else. "Sock puppeting" was the phrase used.

What is this Penny Arcade Hub?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/penny-arcade-hub

• Options
    So, how long until this is the basis of a "reputation dot com" ad on ESPN Radio?

You could create a part-time course on the importance of not losing your self-control when dealing with customers, and what to do / not to do if you feel yourself losing self-control, just using this one case study.

Ho-lee shit. I mean, I lost my temper one time at a call center with a customer, and it had everything to do with me rather than the customer (you deal with bad customers all of the time, and this one wasn't even all that bad) - so I apologized after a short outburst, and passed the customer along to my supervisor while I took a minute to recollect myself.

Nobody's perfect, but wow - this guy should've sent an apology e-mail, let his ego take a hit and handed Dave's complaint off to someone else while he took a cigarette break or caffeine break or whatever to get himself ready to do his job.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:

You could create a part-time course on the importance of not losing your self-control when dealing with customers, and what to do / not to do if you feel yourself losing self-control, just using this one case study.

Ho-lee shit. I mean, I lost my temper one time at a call center with a customer, and it had everything to do with me rather than the customer (you deal with bad customers all of the time, and this one wasn't even all that bad) - so I apologized after a short outburst, and passed the customer along to my supervisor while I took a minute to recollect myself.

Nobody's perfect, but wow - this guy should've sent an apology e-mail, let his ego take a hit and handed Dave's complaint off to someone else while he took a cigarette break or caffeine break or whatever to get himself ready to do his job.

Here's his apology email
    Hey Dave,

I just wanted to apologize for the way our emails progressed from beginning to end , You caught me on an extremely bad day and I had been dealing with 100’s and hundreds of emails trying to explain the situation to everyone on where the product was and you just pushed me a little too much and I should have just apologized and tried to explain things better. Also I had a really bad day losing a friend to an overdose and the stress of my newborn baby and the Holiday ,missing my family and just stressing on getting product out to everyone and why it was held up in customs wore me out.

I am deeply sorry for any disrespect , aggravation or lack of information on the delivery date. We knew when product was leaving china and we were trying to adhere to a strict deadline but due to port issues and air freight issues. The units are domestic now and awaiting pick up at customs . So we missed the 17th deadline and I apologize for that but it was out of my control and besides me no one else was helping me handle the situation so imagine the weight on my shoulders.

I’m not asking for any sympathy just for some understanding and forgiveness , I’m human just like everyone else and made a mistake. I underestimated you and its cost me a lot of trouble thousands of spam emails , a lot of personal bashing , and internet spam and trouble and just overall stress with my wife and newborn. I ask that you please accept my apology as a peace offering I will refund your money and give you your 2 units/Avengers free of charge please help me to get some of this negativity removed or at least my personal name although its already all over the internet and the calls and emails will not stop but any help will be appreciated especially with penny arcade as Mike and edit his own website I owe him an apology too which I will write next.
    http://gamerfront.net/2011/12/ocean-marketing-a-study-on-how-to-destroy-your-reputation-with-just-a-few-emails/15199

• Options
    Tharsman wrote:
    Wash wrote:

It appears so:

Or maybe it's the sword.
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165739_1793001667110_1301705117_2109742_6369202_n.jpg
    From his facebook page

• Options
    Tharsman wrote:
    Wash wrote:

It appears so:

Or maybe it's the sword.
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165739_1793001667110_1301705117_2109742_6369202_n.jpg
    From his facebook page

Hey he knows that girl personally... she'll vouch for him and he's her PR rep

• Options
    Here's his apology email

Yeah, but it's a little late now, isn't it?

He should've sent that e-mail off right after the one where he berated Dave. Instead, he went waltzing with hubris.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    I think she counts as at least 37 of his 125 employees.

Somehow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, any attempt to apologize now and say he had a bad day is colored by the fact that he went on repeated rants against multiple people about this.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote:
    Tharsman wrote:
    Wash wrote:

It appears so:

Christoforo is apparently impersonating various other employees of the company so that may or may not be accurate.

The email posted came from me. I dug up a phone number and spoke with Kotkin personally. Gamerfront and Kotaku have emailed me back saying they'll have more updates later.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    I think a large component that keeps this going is that Paul is basically a cartoon of a dumb, hyper-aggressive jock.

!
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Dis is example of why you should read up on the internet, even moreso if you're dealing with the gaming community/industry. I don't think anything can be done to save Paul now. This is the nature of the beast.

Also, I need more updates on the drama. I still have some popcorn leftover

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Expendable I love the fact that (going by your sig, I don't see any blog links) you're just a PA fan who does a better job of PR than Paul...

good job dude!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote:
    The email posted came from me. I dug up a phone number and spoke with Kotkin personally. Gamerfront and Kotaku have emailed me back saying they'll have more updates later.

I was wondering who you were. :^:

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The bad thing about firing your PR guy after a public scandal is someone still has to write the press release.

• Options
    I honestly do feel bad for Paul at this point. I mean he's an admitted steroid abusing, annoying motorcyle driving (seriously, revving up your bike for youtube videos in a residential neighborhood is fucking dumb), asshat who's going through a shitstorm right now and I don't even think he realizes it.

I'd love to see this turn around and see him get his shit together and be good at his job....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a large component that keeps this going is that Paul is basically a cartoon of a dumb, hyper-aggressive jock.

Yeah. Pretty much.

Feral on

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Expendable I love the fact that (going by your sig, I don't see any blog links) you're just a PA fan who does a better job of PR than Paul...

good job dude!

I just didn't have anything else to do today. I wasn't supposed to be back to work until the 2nd of Jan (might be delayed, car is in the shop) and after talking to Kotkin on the phone, I just felt so bad for the guy.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

Revenge of the nerds?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:
    Here's his apology email

Yeah, but it's a little late now, isn't it?

He should've sent that e-mail off right after the one where he berated Dave. Instead, he went waltzing with hubris.

Yeah I kinda don't take apologies that are explicitly "I don't like the consequences of my actions!" very seriously. Its a one day internet story but that's you need.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Dis is example of why you should read up on the internet, even moreso if you're dealing with the gaming community/industry. I don't think anything can be done to save Paul now. This is the nature of the beast.

The part that really makes me angry is that it's obvious now what a sheister Paul must've been in order to get the job of marketing David's accessories. He's obviously not experienced with either marketing or dealing with the Internet, but he conned his way into becoming the middle man regardless.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Christoforo forgot two rules of the internet:
    1. Don't tease the Internet.
    2. Don't feed the Internet.

Granted, most of us forget Rule #1, but forgetting Rule #2 is where things go downhill fast.

That said, you should think of some of the ramifications of this. Before the scandal escalated, he had a Facebook page showing his wife and baby. If he is indeed a regular user of steroids (without a prescription), then I worry about the people close to him at his home life.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Normal people don't make pumped up claims of bringing down the wrath of the mayor of Boston.

Most people don't rage out in that kind of capacity- it requires a certain blind faith to one's own sense of importance/ability. These types of con-men (strong arming technology types) truly believe that they are as good or powerful as they say they are, and that's why they deserve success. The confidence and aggression usually works well for getting new clients, however it isn't long before clients see the disparity between claims and actual ability.

I'd venture that Paul is still trying to figure out just what's going on, still believing that he's God's gift to everyone, genuinely confused at how his increasingly bizarre threats could possibly cause this PR nightmare.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Ender wrote:

The part that really makes me angry is that it's obvious now what a sheister Paul must've been in order to get the job of marketing David's accessories. He's obviously not experienced with either marketing or dealing with the Internet, but he conned his way into becoming the middle man regardless.

In this updated post by kotaku, it appears that N-Control lost a legit PR firm because of their association with this "street thug" Christoforo:
    kotaku.com/5871400/

Avulsion235 on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'd venture that Paul is still trying to figure out just what's going on, still believing that he's God's gift to everyone, genuinely confused at how his increasingly bizarre threats could possibly cause this PR nightmare.

This. This right here is why I am weeping for humanity, not for the particular silly goose.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:

I feel bad for Kotkin. Guy seems like a good-hearted entrepeneur, but now his product has been tainted. He'll need a name change, and a new marketing company. Hopefully the Big Guns out there can give him a lead on an honest marketing person. Though now because of the publicity, he'll likely be dealing with competition from people with more money and can produce more units. It sounds like the controller he designed is relatively well-liked.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Look out! Christoforo's gone nova!! https://twitter.com/#!/oceanstretagy

This discussion has been closed.