Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Curved swords is my favorite piece of spoken dialogue in any game ever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So is it just me or does the librarian guy at the Mage's College have two different voice actors? I was doing one of the earlier mage questlines and I swear his voice was changing depending on the question you asked him.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    Clearing out the imperial fort for the Grey-Manes quest in Winterun was the most profitable thing I ever did. So profitable I drained every merchant of five separate holds of all of their gold. I am honestly beginning to feel I spend as much time looking for merchants with gold to sell shit to, as I do actually adventuring and doing the fun part of the game. I am not regarding this as a good thing. I really hope there is a patch to just increase their gold somehow. It's getting pretty tiresome selling one ebony weapon and draining every piece of gold the merchant has, then moving to the next and so on and so forth.

While it doesn't help nearly enough, the Speech craft perks do help with that I guess. I mean, 1500 more gold isn't really worth going all the way up that tree in my opinion but I guess every bit helps. The Merchant perk (I think?) Helped me out tremendously though, selling anything to any vendor is a blessing.

Money seems to be less useful to me now though; skilled up in smiting, enchanting, and alchemy there really isn't much I need to buy anymore. Definitely early on, but I usually don't bother looting too much (gasp!) Stuff now...

• Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    Get speech to 70 then only sell at riverwood traders every few days.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Not bitching, just bemused.

The curved swords line must have been left in as intentionally hilarious though. As written it makes sense in a, 'Those kerazy Hmmerfell guys eh?' way, but the way the guy delivers the line it's as if the very concept of a curved sword is enough to crush the foundations of his belief structure and send him flailing into the abyss of madness.

CURVED.

SWORDS.

Also if you talk to people in town they totally tell you exactly where to find the ghost girl right down to putting the quest marker there.
    If you don't end up killing Alva during the break in then she goes non-hostile in the vampire cave and you can't off her without getting a bounty. There's no justice.

Not so much.
    The master-vampire'll off her if she goes there before you kill him.

Psshh, I have money to make all my justified murders go away. Remember the Rainment girls? 80 gold made them go away. That guard I decapitated? Pssshhh, 1000 gold ain't nothin'.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    With regard to Alva:
    She just sat in the vampire cave and did nothing. Never went hostile, even while I was butchering her kin. Which, to me, seemed odd given her activities in-town. Maybe just something they didn't have time to fix or code in there? Suffice it to say, I went ahead and murdered that bitch. She completely destroyed a family--it was justice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Alva
    is bugged and her AI doesn't switch from civilian to vampire like it's supposed to. At any rate, it doesn't really matter, since she's the only non-hostile in the cave, i.e. no witnesses.

Mars on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012

Money seems to be less useful to me now though; skilled up in smiting, enchanting, and alchemy there really isn't much I need to buy anymore. Definitely early on, but I usually don't bother looting too much (gasp!) Stuff now...

I loot almost nothing anymore, at level 40'ish with 80k gold. I've upgraded all my houses, I am over-stocked on potions just from picking them up, and am a full smith. The only thing I loot is magical, high value stuff.

That said, can I pay to have my gear enchanted? Would love to have my Legendary Dragonplate enchanted, but I'm not going to skill it up or spend the perk points myself. If anything, I'd console cheat it and just give myself the perks before I'd spend actual points on it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote:
    That said, can I pay to have my gear enchanted? Would love to have my Legendary Dragonplate enchanted, but I'm not going to skill it up or spend the perk points myself. If anything, I'd console cheat it and just give myself the perks before I'd spend actual points on it.

As far as I know, no, you're the only one who can enchant your gear.

Doing the smith/alchemy/enchant cycle was a bit painful, but the gains from it are so overwhelmingly crazy. It was definitely worth the effort to me. Trivializes combat though.

• Options
    So did anyone ever figure out a firm yes or no on whether you get perk points after 50?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm at 54 and I'm still getting a point every level. I didn't realize that was a concern.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    So did anyone ever figure out a firm yes or no on whether you get perk points after 50?
    you get perks as long as you can level which is to 81

leveling just tends to slow down around 50, unless you switch gears and start using brand new skills

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Rakeeth wrote:
    Get speech to 70 then only sell at riverwood traders every few days.

How in the blue fuck are you supposed to get speech to 70? Drop $texas into trainers? The only way it skills up is with infrequent persuade options and selling stuff. At level 40, having sold a boatload of shit, my speech is like ~40. It's ridiculous.

• Options
    Apparently you can juice speech in a couple places (Riften), but otherwise it's selling stuff and speech checks. It sounds like you get more skill from selling expensive items, and selling items singly rather than multiples (sell 1 jewel at a time rather than 5 at once, for example).

I guess if you have a lot of spare money you can just sell then rebuy your expensive gear to go nuts about it, but that sounds kind of not enjoyable to me. Just selling stuff I was making to boost alchemy/smithing/enchanting, I think I got to about 60-70 speech without paying attention.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Can someone explain to me how resistances work?

Does 100% resitance to magic literally mean you are immune to fire, frost, and shock effects? Or is there some kind of exponential mitigation happening?

edit: Nevermind, I see it caps at 85%.

Drez on
  • Options
    Also: Anyone have any suggestions on enchantments for my full suit of daedric armor (sans shield)?

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Also: Anyone have any suggestions on enchantments for my full suit of daedric armor (sans shield)?
    Single or double enchants? I'll put the secondary enchant second, it's the one I'd consider less important

Hands: +1/2-handed weapons, +Stam
    Chest: +Health, +Stam
    Boots: +Resist (Cold, probably), +Carry Capacity (or another resist, if you don't have trouble hauling loot)
    Helm: +Heavy Armor Skill, +Resist

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Are we talking one enchant, or Extra Effects for holywhattheshiti'magod?

I've been putting 4x one-handed (or two-handed) [gloves, boots, amulet, ring] for starters. Depending on your enchanting skills/perks and alchemy potions, that's a pretty big boost. I think I get about 44% boost per piece (my alchemy is lagging a bit, so I'm pretty sure you can get it higher), so around a 176% damage boost.

Fortify [Magic-type] is pretty crazy [helm, armor, amulet, ring], it's another game breaker. Fortify destruction on 4 pieces at 25% magicka reduction means free destruction magic, and if you're using a weapon enchanted with fire/frost/shock it'll also work without consuming charges. (edit: guess that might be a bug now that i'm reading up on it. not sure. works for me though) Switch that to whatever magic discipline that you like and you'll be able to cast for free.

Pretty sure there are a heap more ways to reach godhood, but those are my 2 favorites right now.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    Think I got some of what those mods can be applied to wrong.

• Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    Fortify [Magic-type] is pretty crazy [helm, armor, amulet, ring], it's another game breaker. Fortify destruction on 4 pieces at 25% magicka reduction means free destruction magic, and if you're using a weapon enchanted with fire/frost/shock it'll also work without consuming charges. (edit: guess that might be a bug now that i'm reading up on it. not sure. works for me though) Switch that to whatever magic discipline that you like and you'll be able to cast for free.

One of the loading screens says something along the lines of "the better a mage is in a school, the more charges they will get out of a staff", so I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a bug.

• Options
    Yeah I checked a couple of wikis and one listed the free enchant charges as a bug while another didn't. I mean, it's kind of moot if you have a Soul trap weapon and something like the Black Star (or lots of gems) anyway, so it's not a big deal.

If you've got heavy armor and points dedicated to improving your armor rating, I think most of the heavy armor enchants are going to be kind of moot, particularly if your smithing is high and you have stuff up to legendary/crazy armor rating levels. That's another case where there's a cap and anything beyond it is pointless.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Uthgerd the Unbroken needs to star in her own game. That is all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah I checked a couple of wikis and one listed the free enchant charges as a bug while another didn't. I mean, it's kind of moot if you have a Soul trap weapon and something like the Black Star (or lots of gems) anyway, so it's not a big deal.

If you've got heavy armor and points dedicated to improving your armor rating, I think most of the heavy armor enchants are going to be kind of moot, particularly if your smithing is high and you have stuff up to legendary/crazy armor rating levels. That's another case where there's a cap and anything beyond it is pointless.

This is true on heavy armor. My heavy armor rating in Legandary Dragonplate, with all the armor rating talents except Juggernaut 5/5 (that's coming soon) is 625. Once I get Juggernaut 5/5 it'll be like 675. Physical damage basically doesn't hurt me. Even dragon talons are kind of "ROFL, that tickles".

The problem with heavy armor for me is that it seems like the reduction curve is not flat. It ramps up heavily as you start to get silly armor numbers, while it's almost worthless pre-300 AR.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    I was gonna do an all mage character, but I was going to drop any and all of the armors stuff. Now though...it seems that there is really no benefit to dropping the armors other than I walk a little faster and the alteration armor spells work better. Is that a pretty good assessment?

Signature??
  • Options
    Is there any reason to have resist magic and resist <specific element>? I thought you could easily hit the cap with a double resist magic enchant on like one or two pieces.

• Options
    Btw thank you.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Actually, this forum post over at Skyrim Nexus goes over the phenomenon that you describe. Basically, armor pre-300 is nigh worthless, while everything after that nets you ridiculous gains.

Personally, I'm using an armor mod that makes the gains from armor-rating linear, rather than whatever the hell it is now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm reading that the magic number to hit for armor rating is 567. Anything above that is pretty much just to have big show-off numbers. With good enchanted gear/potions/smithing, you can turn any armor (light or heavy) up to that threshold.

I think my Daedric set sits a little above 1400; made a steel plate set to about 1100. Both are entirely excessive in that regard, but damn if saying those numbers doesn't make me smile a little.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I think I'm at 700 something with my Daedric set and in most cases I can just stand there and do nothing and barely take damage - though a briarheart seriously messed me up. That's with no fortify heavy armor and heavy armor itself at like 61. I do have a number of perks in it though.

Drez on
  • Options
    The only thing that gives me pause is magic, pretty much. That'll hurt me pretty good, but physical attacks are a joke once you hit that AR threshold.

• Options
    Actually, this forum post over at Skyrim Nexus goes over the phenomenon that you describe. Basically, armor pre-300 is nigh worthless, while everything after that nets you ridiculous gains.

Personally, I'm using an armor mod that makes the gains from armor-rating linear, rather than whatever the hell it is now.

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Considering gold is plentiful after a while, am I missing anything if I skip putting points in speech entirely? Or are there a ton of persuasion points that yield cool rewards?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Anyone know of a mod that just lets you dump all of your stuff in a single category in a container? I'm looking to deposit all of my alchemy reagents into a box when I visit home, then retrieve them when I actually make potions, without it being extremely time consuming.

... man that fucking sucks.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Considering gold is plentiful after a while, am I missing anything if I skip putting points in speech entirely? Or are there a ton of persuasion points that yield cool rewards?

You're not missing anything, I don't think. There are a couple places where persuade will save you some money or extra work on a quest, but I haven't found it required for anything.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular

Hey. That's my wife your talkin' about there!

....but yeah I totally agree. Lady rules.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

You're not missing anything, I don't think. There are a couple places where persuade will save you some money or extra work on a quest, but I haven't found it required for anything.

The other side of the Speech tree, particularly Merchant, was handy for me though. Selling stuff becomes less aggravating when you don't have to run to different vendor types because they only buy certain items. Yes Adrianne, you will buy potions and jewelry and food from me and not just armors and weapons, dammit.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Hey. That's my wife your talkin' about there!

Oh yeah?

ScreenShot91asd.jpg

....but yeah I totally agree. Lady rules.

These guys? They know what they're talking about.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

The other side of the Speech tree, particularly Merchant, was handy for me though. Selling stuff becomes less aggravating when you don't have to run to different vendor types because they only buy certain items. Yes Adrianne, you will buy potions and jewelry and food from me and not just armors and weapons, dammit.

Eh, it can't matter that much, vendors run out of money so fast, you end up doing the run around anyway. By now, because I only pick up expensive things, most vendors will run out of money before I even sell off all of their item type. I pretty much don't pick up anything worth less than 200g anymore.

• Options
    I kinda wanted to marry Sapphire. :/

This discussion has been closed.