As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

chatby

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    White bread, monosyllabic, American male names are the worst. Brad, Zach, Troy, Chad, John, Mike, Scott, etc.

In america using short versions seems to be perfectly fine for most everything, so if you want a john or mike, why not go with johnathan or michael

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    Ooh gem names!

Sapphire
    Opal
    Jewel
    Ruby
    Topaz
    AQUAMARINE

when she becomes a stripper, she won't have to change her name!

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Chu stop being normative. Stop being a sheep to the staus quo

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tav wrote:
    also, I really like this album art that was done by their singer entirely in blue pen
    tailofdead-centuryofself.jpg

That is awesome.

Also, I haven't listened to them in some time. Perhaps tomorrow.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    David is really boring and is basically the same as telling your kid that he's going to be known by his last name, so make sure you have a strong last name.

there is nothing wrong with boring names.

jesus christ, i thought i was the one with adhd.

my name is john and i've literally never had any negative consequences because of that.

'john, mike, david, and jeff are boring' is a lie told to assuage the shame of people with terrible, 'creative' names

Nah, I have a pretty boring name too. But with David they are quite likely to have one or more other Davids in their class so they are going to end up going by "David [last name]" or just by their last name. So make sure you have a good last name.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    david is so perfect for a male name in my opinion. for me anyways. it's jewey, but far enough removed that lots of people don't think of it as jewey. he could maybe escape pogroms! it's short. it's punchy. it won't incite teasing. it is euphonic. um.

i really like it.

I agree.

David might be a cool name for jew but not for me.

I mean for you but not for me.

Oh yeah I mean as a name for Organ to use. I agreed it fit him.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    To be clear:

My name is Brad.

Let's consider that before we hate on it too harshly, because I am a sensitive, delicate 200lb flower.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Elldren wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Elldren wrote:
    I can't stand names that have "unique" spellings

How about Unique.

As a name.

I wouldn't want to put my child through that but it is acceptable

I have a feeling I've met a Euniqua or something at some point.

Unacceptable

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Halfdan

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Katarina. It's one of my german friend's middle names and one of my favourite non-norwegian names out there.

I love Catherine and its derivative forms, but it is probably one of the most common names out there. As it is, I know at least ten here in New York, and that's foreign-born women alone (I'm not counting the numerous American Catherines I know). In fact, I know three actual "Katerinas" but also a few Katyas, Katarzyna (Polish version - usually nicknamed to Kasia), Ekaterina, and so on.

Beautiful name though. I think I would like to eventually name my daughter, assuming I have one, "Katerina."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    David is the first name of a child whose parents already had 3 kids, and just don't give a shit anymore.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    When my mam was in the maternity ward with me, the girl who was born in the next bed over got named Pocahontas.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    whooops.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    One of the ladies was named uneek

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    David is really boring and is basically the same as telling your kid that he's going to be known by his last name, so make sure you have a strong last name.

my name is john and i've literally never had any negative consequences because of that.

'john, mike, david, and jeff are boring' is a lie told to assuage the shame of people with terrible, 'creative' names

You know how it's easier to remember bad things that have happened to you than good things?

I find the same is true of people. It's easier for me to remember people who have wronged me than people who were nice to me. Consequently, the most common names, especially male names, are associated in my memory with some douchebag, probably in grade school or high school, who went out of his way to make my life miserable. While I have met many Brads in my life, there's always going to be the Brad who threatened to rape me in high school, and consequently I could never name my kid Brad.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    David is the first name of a child whose parents already had 3 kids, and just don't give a shit anymore.
    My dad's name is David.
    He only had two older brothers
    !

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Katarina. It's one of my german friend's middle names and one of my favourite non-norwegian names out there.

I love Catherine and its derivative forms, but it is probably one of the most common names out there. As it is, I know at least ten here in New York, and that's foreign-born women alone (I'm not counting the numerous American Catherines I know). In fact, I know three actual "Katerinas" but also a few Katyas, Katarzyna (Polish version - usually nicknamed to Kasia), Ekaterina, and so on.

Beautiful name though. I think I would like to eventually name my daughter, assuming I have one, "Katerina."

It is!

I like her version with the 3 a's a hair better than katerina.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Didn't Nicholas Cage call his son Kal-el to better his chances for getting the lead in Superman Returns?

• Options
    Elldren wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Elldren wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Elldren wrote:
    I can't stand names that have "unique" spellings

How about Unique.

As a name.

I wouldn't want to put my child through that but it is acceptable

I have a feeling I've met a Euniqua or something at some point.

Unacceptable

I wouldn't name my child Euniqua, I'm just saying I am pretty sure I've met someone with that name. It didn't occur to me until after the first post I made in this tree.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Piter

EDIT: I love the names of the old parts of my family. Not just norwegian versions of names like Peter - with both e's being eh but the english way of saying it sort of transliterated. Have a grand aunt named Abigel, too. (Abigail, but as Ahbeegehl. Straange name.)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    In fact, pretty much any name that reminds me of public school is right out, which eliminates a lot of very common names.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Ever since I heard the name Alpa Cino, I knew what kind of thing was going to happen to my possible children.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Catalina Victoria is high on my brother's list

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    tumblr_lcelhpqkcj1qdoghio1_500.png

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Have you met my wife, Maelbolgia?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Piter

Petyr
    Eddard
    Robb
    Sansa
    Arya

• Options
    I knew a Barlass in high school.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Rad made goat cheese queso and it is amazing.

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

You know how it's easier to remember bad things that have happened to you than good things?

I find the same is true of people. It's easier for me to remember people who have wronged me than people who were nice to me. Consequently, the most common names, especially male names, are associated in my memory with some douchebag, probably in grade school or high school, who went out of his way to make my life miserable. While I have met many Brads in my life, there's always going to be the Brad who threatened to rape me in high school, and consequently I could never name my kid Brad.

I don't remember any Brads from high school

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Kendra is a good name

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    Rad made goat cheese queso and it is amazing.

Rad is a terrible name for the baby. The 80s are over.

• Options
    David is an exceptionally boring name, though. Sorry. I don't mean to insult you or your name choices, Chu, but David is like the least interesting name I can think of. In fact, I'm pretty sure all the Davids I know are pretty uninteresting.

Anyway, if you ever have a daughter and never want her to have sex, just name her Bertha. There's no culture on Earth where that name is acceptable or attractive and the only even possible nickname is Beth, which doesn't really fit, but even then - Beth isn't so hot either.

Of course, you could also name your girl Chlamydia but then she could just adopt "Chloe" as a nickname and Chloe is kind of a hot name.

So what I'm saying here is that Chlamydia > Bertha.

Also, I think Chloe is a pleasant name for a girl.

• Options
    Tamin wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Piter

Petyr
    Eddard
    Robb
    Sansa
    Arya

I was hoping for "de vries"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    My friend's friend/co-worker named his son Boagrius

or however the fuck you spell it. after the...general? that sieged Troy

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Some guy had a boy named him winner. Then had another boy and named him loser. Kid named winner has a rap sheet a mile long and Loser is a cop who graduated college and goes by Lou. True story.

• Options
    Elki wrote:
    Ever since I heard the name Alpa Cino, I knew what kind of thing was going to happen to my possible children.

You're going to name them David?

• Options
    David reminds me of the guy who emotionally abused my best friend which caused her to get in her car crying in the pouring rain and crash it by veering off an overpass.

She was okay, but still. David.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The worst baby names of 2011. These kids' lives were ruined the minute they were born.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote:
    Kendra is a good name

True.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Also, I think Chloe is a pleasant name for a girl.

That's a name that every other girl will have in about 15 years.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.