As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What if the PS2 doesn't die?

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Seriously.

I've noticed something. Games are still coming out for the PS2. Now, I never really paid attention to how consoles phased out in the past, but then again, I was much younger and had my mind focused on other things. But by the time the Gamecube came out, the N64 was definitely dead. I don't remember any high profile games coming out on the Playstation after the PS2 was released.

The only other system to live well past it's shelf life was the Dreamcast (new titles this year!).

So, what's gonna happen to the PS3 if all of these high profile titles keep coming out on the PS2? God of War 2 just dropped for the casual gamers, and Atelier Iris 3 for the hardcore, and I seem to remember some other titles announced for the system with release dates well throughout 2007. Even Atlus has a new RPG coming out.

Now that Sony is gimping the PS3's backwards compatibility, it can't be used as a replacement PS2. Could that further stall PS3 sales?

Seems to be a weird situation. What's your opinion?

((( Keep the thread nice, please! )))

Sheep on

• Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Games are still coming out, but I think development is dying down as people shift to one of the new consoles or a handheld. God of War 2 has been in development a long time, and is basically the last big name PS2 game.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think this thread is about three weeks too early. We still don't know if the BC is "gimped" on the PS3 or if the titles that don't play are titles that few people care about.

If, in three weeks time, the only games that play are Final Fantasy X2 and Harry Potter 2: Electric Boogaloo, then yes, I can see the PS2 continuing on as a strong platform. I don't see that happening though. Let's revisit the topic when we actually have a BC list.

Edit: Of course, Sony can do what Microsoft did and just kill the PS2 without BC for some titles. I'm looking at you, Beyond Good and Evil. Man, did I pick the wrong platform for that one.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't know. In the past, some consoles have stayed around for a long time. Others, not so much.

The PS2 has an enormous user base.. I think people will keep buying it and buying games for it, but I really think that developers are just going to move on. The GBA had an enormous user base too, still going strong in sales, but developers and games went over to the DS and PSP within, what, like a year or so?

I do think, however, that the PS3's prohibitively expensive price will prevent people from jumping onto that bandwagon too soon; but I can see a lot of PS2 owners just simply remedying their next-gen appetite with a 360 and/or a Wii.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

Even Atlus has a new RPG coming out.

Persona 3, fuck yeah!

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Seriously.

Atlus is a small company.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The ps2 is going to die no matter what, it's an inevitability. If the PS3 doesn't catch on like the PS2 did, I think you're going to see the DS step up to take its place.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I dunno, I just traded my ps2 in today, along with all my games. It was probably my favorite system ever, but I'm done with it.

No longer can I handle non-wireless controllers and non-HD games (mostly because they just look terrible on my TV)....sure, I'll miss a few titles, but GoWII is likely to be a very similar experience to GoW, and another Persona title just means another Atlus game I want to like but can't get into, so I'm ok with missing those.

I think 2007 will largely be the last year of new PS2 games (much like there were still a few PSX games coming out in 2000/2001)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Backwards compatibility has nothing to do with it. The PS2 has a huge userbase, much larger than the PS3's will ever be. The question is if Sony will recognize this and continue to support the PS2, potentially taking even more wind out of the PS3's sails. Frankly I think that's unlikely, since they've made no indication of planning to do so in the future. There are a small handful of big games yet to come for the PS2, but beyond that there's no indication of new projects starting. I think Sony fully plans on putting all its eggs in the PS3 basket.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think most console developers now know how supporting old consoles with new games is generally a bad idea. Just look at Sega and Atari.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Didn't they release PSX editions of Madden Football for three or four years after the PS2 came out?

I'm sure we'll see the same trend with the PS2. Its installed base is just too enormous to ignore.

Captain K on
  • Options
    FrostmanBluesFrostmanBlues Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The PS2 won't die a while, a good while. PS3 is sinking into a pool of angry gamers that still don't see the reason to buy a cheap Blu-Ray disc player, nor the fact that you have to spend your month's rent to get said console.

Besides, God of War 2 is coming right up, and there are some other titles worth getting such as Sega Genesis Collection and Capcom Arcade Classics 2, plus that nifty package of the Metal Slug antology just as well.

If anything, I will keep those games and play them until Sony considers what woill happen with the PS3, or if I decide to get me a Wii instead.

That is, if I care enough to get either consle anyway, I think I am keeping my PS2 as the last console I will ever buy, besides the DS that is.

FrostmanBlues on
    animegirls2.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Didn't they release PSX editions of Madden Football for three or four years after the PS2 came out?

I'm sure we'll see the same trend with the PS2. Its installed base is just too enormous to ignore.

Yep. Plenty of games came out for the PS long after the introduction of the PS2, even if most of them weren't that noteworthy.

Though the trend could be strengthened somewhat... the PS2 was relatively inexpensive and looked yards better than the origami worlds pumped out by the PS. Now, the PS3 is prohibitively expensive, the visuals on the PS2 still look pretty good, and with the Xbox and Cube dead, there's really no other "cheap" competition (other than the Wii, which is different enough to possibly not be on the same level in buyers' minds). Maybe the PS2 will linger on more than the PS did.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Honestly though, the PS2 doesn't even need to stick around. Its game library is insane now.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was actually having a conversation with my friend about this topic.

He's had an Xbox for the past couple of years and has been perfectly happy with that. He had a bunch of games and really enjoyed it.

Recently, I got him to try Guitar Hero 2. And he was hooked. He'd go to the local Gamecrazy every day just to play the demo.

Eventually, he got enough money (by selling older Xbox games mostly) and bought a PS2, GH1 and GH2. And he's been insanely happy since. Every time I talk to him, he mentions how he was able to find an awesome game for like $5, a game that he missed out on because he only had an Xbox. In fact, he was excited because he picked up Gran Turismo 3 for $1. $1!!

Just because he waited until the end of the generation means that he gets top games, games that everyone happily paid $50 for when they came out, for cheap.

And then that lead to the discussion of buying previous gen games and game systems. I think I'm at a point where I don't need to buy any more systems to "get my fix." I have a Wii and a DS. There's plenty of games specifically for those two platforms that I want to play. But both are backwards compatible with a huge amount of games!

The Wii itself presents a Mecca of gaming. I've still got a ton of Gamecube games that I own that I need to play, and there are a ton more that I haven't picked up yet. Plus there's the Virtual Console. A couple of bucks and you can get games that at one point in time cost $50 that have plenty of gaming for your dollar.

So, I'm going to challenge myself. I have a limited amount of time, and already have way too many things to keep me occupied. I'm going to try to do this, but I know that I'll probably fail.

But I'm going to make the Wii my last game system purchase for a long time. I've got enough gamage to keep me happy for quite a while.

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The PS2 released in North America on October 26, 2000. Final Fantasy IX released in North America on November 14, 2000. All the FF re-releases (Chronicles, Anthologies, Origins) were released in 2001-2003. Dragon Quest VII was released in 2001. Captain K mentioned the sports games.

So yeah. It's not too much to assume that the PS2 will stick around for a while longer, much like the PS1 did.

At the least, PS2 games will stick around, even if people play them on the PS3.

Renzo on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited February 2007
    If it goes anything like the PS1, there will be unlicensed shovelware coming out for the next couple years. You know, the kind of PS1 game you see at truck stops and drug stores, with titles like "Shooter," "Fishing," and "Bowling." There will also be more Greatest Hits titles. What will be interesting is if quality games continue to come out for the PS2, from Atlus or other companies. Ideally, Sony USA would relax their standards on what kinds of games can be released here and we could get some quickie ports of 2D games.

Sony is going to stop supporting it when current development is finished, no question about it. For them to continue supporting the PS2 would be incongruent with their overconfidence in the PS3, and financially risky.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Backlash wrote: »
    Games are still coming out, but I think development is dying down as people shift to one of the new consoles or a handheld. God of War 2 has been in development a long time, and is basically the last big name PS2 game.

But historically, games like God of War 2 would be ported to the PS3, especially since its a Sony developed game. Not even Sony trusts its PS3 to make it money.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I think most console developers now know how supporting old consoles with new games is generally a bad idea. Just look at Sega and Atari.

Consider this.

One of the reasons for the lack of third party support was because Sega prematurely killed off the Saturn in favor of the Dreamcast, upsetting Japanese developers who wanted to continue supporting the very successful (in Japan) Saturn.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Seriously.

Uhh..not in Japan they aren't.

Considering the volume of games they make or publish..I disagree.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    GoW2 is far from being the last PS2 game. I'm still looking forward to Manhunt 2 and Tomb Raider Anniversary, among others.

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Seriously.

Uhh..not in Japan they aren't.

Considering the volume of games they make or publish..I disagree.
    * Tsugunai: Atonement November 19th, 2001
    * Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land December 10th, 2001
    * Skygunner June 25th, 2002
    * Maken Shao: Demon Sword Unknown, 2002
    * Dual Hearts September 23rd, 2002
    * Disgaea: Hour of Darkness August 26th, 2003
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne October 14th, 2004
    * Choro Q October 27th, 2004
    * Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity April 26th, 2005
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga April 5th, 2005
    * Samurai Western June 7th, 2005
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 October 4th, 2005
    * Magna Carta: Tears of Blood November 16th, 2005
    * Metal Saga April 25th, 2006
    * Steambot Chronicles May 23rd, 2006
    * Rule of Rose August 29, 2006
    * Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner October 10, 2006
    * Persona 3 June 2007
    Except for the Shin Megami series, none of these game are particularly popular even in Japan.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Personally I think the PS2 is the new GBA SP except unlike the GBA's successor (the DS), the PS2's successor is a failure.

The platform has such a massive install base, coupled with the abject failure of the PS3 ... Sony really can't afford to drop support yet.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    The PS2 released in North America on October 26, 2000. Final Fantasy IX released in North America on November 14, 2000. All the FF re-releases (Chronicles, Anthologies, Origins) were released in 2001-2003. Dragon Quest VII was released in 2001. Captain K mentioned the sports games.

I was gonna mention the Square releases after the PS2 hit but you beat me to it. I will however mention that one of my favorite PSone games was released after the PS2 hit: Arc the Lad Collection (04/18/02).

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wouldn't go calling the PS3 a failure just yet.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

I was gonna mention the Square releases after the PS2 hit but you beat me to it. I will however mention that one of my favorite PSone games was released after the PS2 hit: Arc the Lad Collection (04/18/02).

Yeah, but when did it start development, 97?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There really isn't any mystery here. There is a huge number of PS2s out there. According to wikipedia's numbers, there have been nearly 100 million more PS2s sold than all the next gen consoles combined. Developers know this. They want the widest potential market for their product. They'll keep milking this cow until the udders go dry.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Sony's "10 year system" mantra yet, where they holler up and down that all of their systems have an active lifespan filled with new releases for 10 years before they focus on the next generation.

For all of their asshattery, customer abuse, and outright lies, at least they followed through on this with the PSX. To follow up on K's comments, Madden got a 2005 release on the PSX.

Considering the installed base of the PS2, companies would be insane to completely drop development for a system with 100+ million sold (even if 80% of them have died olol), considering it's still selling like hotcakes.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    One of the reasons for the lack of third party support was because Sega prematurely killed off the Saturn in favor of the Dreamcast, upsetting Japanese developers who wanted to continue supporting the very successful (in Japan) Saturn.

Oh, if it'll piss off developers, then Sony will definitely do it.
    Bamelin wrote: »
    The platform has such a massive install base, coupled with the abject failure of the PS3 ... Sony really can't afford to drop support yet.

Yeah. They're definitely dropping support soon, then.

It's just consistent with the pattern we're seeing in their behavior.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yeah, but when did it start development, 97?

It had to have been at least 99 as thats when Arc 3 was released in Japan. I hadn't heard anything about Working Designs translating 1 and 2 seperately. I know it took then forever because Working Designs was always incredibly slow at releasing games and Arc 2 and 3 are extremely text heavy.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A good indication of when the ps2 dies is to just go down to any local best buy or gamestop or whatever. Just look at each of the sections for games.

Yeah notice how the ps2 is like 60% of the stores selection? Its not gonna be dieing until that changes.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The PS3 is $600 US, and more if you live overseas. The PS2 is still selling big numbers... It's reasonably cheap, and a lot of people who own them are buying the newer mini-sized model to replace their old, worn down originals, because they have a huge library of games to play, and they can't afford a PS3 just so they have something to play their old games on.

There's certainly not enough reason for me (and a ton of other people, apparently) to rush out and nab a PS3 yet, so I definitely don't see a stop to the flow of PS2 games anytime in the immediate future. And I hope it lasts for a while, because it'll be a while before I trade off my PS2 for it's awkward younger brother.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just got a PS2 yesterday ($50 used from a guy I know) but it only came with Dualshock1 controllers. Do Dualshock1 controllers work with most PS2 games? Can I find a compatibility list anywhere?

I have a lot of games to catch up on :D

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    I just got a PS2 yesterday ($50 used from a guy I know) but it only came with Dualshock1 controllers. Do Dualshock1 controllers work with most PS2 games? Can I find a compatibility list anywhere?

Generally they do, however, some games are no compatible. Metal Gear Solid 3 and Burnout come to mind.;

Sheep on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Generally they do, however, some games are no compatible. Metal Gear Solid 3 and Burnout come to mind.;

Does Katamari work?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If the ps2 doesn't die:

Look at the PC Engine's sucessor for the answer.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Would people stop comparing the PS2 to the PS1? Sorry but it's a completely different scenario this time around.

First off, EA and other multiplatform companies have recently stated how much of a mistake it was to drop PS1 support off so quickly and that they'll continue to support the PS2.

Secondly (and I really think this is the key), there are different consoles out at the moment. IMO there are currently two tiers to multiplatform development, the first is the PS3/360 and the second is the PS2/PSP/Wii (the DS is somewhere off to the left). Basically, the Wii will keep the PS2 alive as any Wii games from EA/Rockstar/Ubisoft will be ported to the PS2 (and PSP).

Treeloot: It works with some games but not all. Any games that require the analog face buttons (X, square, circle and triangle) won't run properly with it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Calling the PS3 dead is a huge mistake. Just because you say something you wish to happen, does not make it true.

Despite all the negative press, the system is doing really well so far. The games released for it are certainly keeping me busy, and it is a very well made piece of hardware that does a LOT considering what you pay for it. Anyway, enough of this anti-fanboy ramble.

The PS2 will be supported for a long time after the release of the PS3. It has nothing to do with this imaginary 'failure' of the PS3, but rather the fact that Sony knows how to do business. Unlike Nintendo which hacked off the legs of the 64 and Gamecube immediately after the successor comes out, or Microsoft which gutted it's original Xbox core base after the 360 came out, the PS2 will keep trucking long after GC's and Xbox's are painfully obsolete. It's not always a good plan to throw all your resources behind the newest system, especially if lots of people are still willing to support your old one. Be fair to your customers.

VG-Robot on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It was in one of Sony's conferences, but they've said pretty much they want to see 10 year life cycles on all of their consoles.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Does Katamari work?

I believe so, yes.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mitsuhide wrote: »

Persona 3, fuck yeah!

Do we have confirmation that this is still coming? It's disappeared from our release listings at work. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter