As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinosaurs in Video Games

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    SimBen wrote:
    Did people say good things about the King Kong game in here? That game was poop from a butt.

No it wasn't it was great.

UBISOFT SHILL

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i played the demo and didn't like it.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Look no I thought it was great before I worked there. I think some Ubisoft games are bad too!

sig.gif
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:
    like, i want the aliens pulse rifle to fight dinosaurs. cause like, aliens have recreated dinosaurs, and you're part of an elite military group of former big game hunters and you have to break into the alien compound and fucking kill the dinosaurs and aliens.

I've made a party fight a t-rex analogue with plasma guns before

Although the swordswoman tried to fight it in melee, so she took 3d20 damage and exploded

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Monster Hunter, but with dinosaurs and guns

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    like, i want the aliens pulse rifle to fight dinosaurs. cause like, aliens have recreated dinosaurs, and you're part of an elite military group of former big game hunters and you have to break into the alien compound and fucking kill the dinosaurs and aliens.

I've made a party fight a t-rex analogue with plasma guns before

Although the swordswoman tried to fight it in melee, so she took 3d20 damage and exploded

damn it, why didn't you say "made them fight a dinosaur" so i could say "well yeah, i have a whip sword, so of course they exploded"

Also, how is your critical failure thread going? i found it once and now it's lost in the ether.

• Options
    Gumpy wrote:
    Monster Hunter, but with dinosaurs and guns

yeah, seriously. i'm thinking like monster hunter + boarderlands + CoD + doom 2.

• Options
    I'm thinking what needs to happen is a game like God Hand

but all the enemies are dinosaurs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Might need something to mix it up a little bit. Dinosaurs, while awesome, all tend to follow the "Run straight forward and try to eat the guy" train of thought

• Options
    I don't grasp what's wrong about dinosaurs running straight for you when your only counter is to punch them to death.

I could do that 500 times without it getting boring, probably!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Croc_ClockCroc_Clock Registered User regular
    i wish there was a really hardcore dinosaur mod for minecraft. like, horrible monstrous dinosaurs everywhere. tiny ones quickly sneak up on ya, giant ones never die, flyers comin in at every angle, even the loch ness monster in lakes (thats prolly a dinosaur?). i just think it'd be fun to be legitimately afraid of the environment for a change, instead of 'oh, well, i have a stone sword now... and my health regenerates... so life is fine!'.

• Options
    Melding wrote:

damn it, why didn't you say "made them fight a dinosaur" so i could say "well yeah, i have a whip sword, so of course they exploded"

A missed opportunity

And it seems to be going okay so far! This time I don't have anyone insisting that they are a brain surgeon when they have 1 point of INT.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The only parts of the King Kong game that were any good were the parts where you play as King Kong and that was less than 20% of the game.

• Options
    Gumpy wrote:
    Might need something to mix it up a little bit. Dinosaurs, while awesome, all tend to follow the "Run straight forward and try to eat the guy" train of thought

that's why the aliens are there. they're visually different, able to use human tactics, but isn't just shooting dudes.

• Options
    The only parts of the King Kong game that were any good were the parts where you play as King Kong and that was less than 20% of the game.

The only part that was bad was the part at the end in New York and you were King Kong in that part.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Melding wrote:

A missed opportunity

And it seems to be going okay so far! This time I don't have anyone insisting that they are a brain surgeon when they have 1 point of INT.

i'm disappointed i couldn't get in on it. let me know if you start up another thingamcgig.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Edcrab wrote:
    Melding wrote:

A missed opportunity

i'm disappointed i couldn't get in on it. let me know if you start up another thingamcgig.

?

I'm still recruiting, you seem to have mistaken me for someone that is fast at things

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    More games need to do a tomb raider and just throw a T-Rex in without ever explaining why

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Edcrab wrote:
    Melding wrote:

A missed opportunity

?

I'm still recruiting, you seem to have mistaken me for someone that is fast at things

Oh right, english.

Alright, well.

Huh, well,

I guess i could read the rules and stuff..

• Options
    Gumpy wrote:
    More games need to do a tomb raider

heyooo

sig.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    SimBen wrote:
    Gumpy wrote:
    More games need to do a tomb raider

heyooo

:ar!

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    basically my ideal dinosaur game would be a race of super intelligent dinos

with advanced dino technology, a dino city, the hole nine yards

That learn about and must stop the meteorite from hitting the earth and destroying it

Basically the movie "Armageddon" but with an all dinosaur cast

The ending would be the dino team realizing far too late in the game that the only thing they can do is make the impact meteor smaller, not stop it entirely - and it is going to hit their sweet dino city

Earth is saved, but all dino civilization is lost

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Hey guys remember the Mario movie

sig.gif
  • Options
    hilariousrandomphotos12.jpg

This would be a boss.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote:
    Hey guys remember the Mario movie

I try not too.

• Options
    That would be highly acceptable

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Squall wrote:
    be daddy trex in banjo tooie

roar at fools

Ah yes, I can't believe this wasn't the first thing that came to mind. The fact that he's invincible was appropriate.

Which reminds me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MczVgSJOCZo

Now I'm going to be thinking of any games that have dinosaurs as a boss.

• Options
    okay, so ideas i have thus far:

Aliens fill int he space of human enemies. range of patterns and sizes. interesting alien weapons.

Class based co-op got Trooper, sniper, medic, and other guy, maybe stealth guy? iunno. probably not, close combat guy maybe.

Dinosaurs bulk of fights, traversing areas and what not dinosaurs are everywhere. hitting compounds full of aliens, fewer dinosaurs.

Act 3 is in giant earth city where you get crazy air support powers and stuff, rest of the game is elite commando tactics, weakening alien forces.

Performance in previous acts will affect act 3 (ei doing everything on alien planet the dino army is weaker, but more wide spread due to you taking longer kinda idea)

Guns shooting everywhere. all the time.

I need some people who know how to do these things, and i think we got a game.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    you guys have no idea how fucking crushed i was playing the 2008 Turok.

The demo was awesome. it was hiding from dinosaurs, killing dinosaurs, running from dinosaurs.

And then most the game was shooting dudes.

I can shoot dudes in like, 90% of all video games.

I can't fucking shoot dinosaurs in like 5% of them.

sorrrrrrryyyyyyy

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    i have a 50% steam coupon for dinosaur d day
    someone trade me it for an equally shitty game coupon

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    okay, so ideas i have thus far:

Aliens fill int he space of human enemies. range of patterns and sizes. interesting alien weapons.

Class based co-op got Trooper, sniper, medic, and other guy, maybe stealth guy? iunno. probably not, close combat guy maybe.

Dinosaurs bulk of fights, traversing areas and what not dinosaurs are everywhere. hitting compounds full of aliens, fewer dinosaurs.

Act 3 is in giant earth city where you get crazy air support powers and stuff, rest of the game is elite commando tactics, weakening alien forces.

Performance in previous acts will affect act 3 (ei doing everything on alien planet the dino army is weaker, but more wide spread due to you taking longer kinda idea)

Guns shooting everywhere. all the time.

I need some people who know how to do these things, and i think we got a game.

also so player characters, each has two main weapons.

An assault rifle that is somewhat similar between them, designed to offset their unique weapon. like the sniper has a carbine with full auto, the trooper has a burst fire full rifle, the exception is the close combat guy who is using a sub compact carbine which has super fast aiming cause this dude is dedicated to it. all have the same ammo count, and do about the same damage. I'm thinking ammo sharing should be a thing, it helps the sniper who might not be as useful this level hold his own, or maybe the close combat guy isn't doing well and burnign through ammo and the trooper is using his main gun a lot so he doesn't need it, stuff like that.

the other gun is what makes them different. like the trooper guy would be using a medium machine gun for his other gun. okay range, high rage of fire, not very accurate, but in most situations better then the rifle. Sniper has of course, an anti material rifle, close combat guy gets a shotgun, and the medic i'm not sure. some kind of medic might work, but that limits the medic's combat effectiveness. Cause another idea i had was everyone then has an ability thing, like the sniper can use flares to call in support (fulfilling a scouting role), close combat guy get's like a powerful melee attack he can quickly use, medic gets healing power, and trooper has under barrel grenade launcher. or an under barrel flamethrower, that's be awesome.

Flame throwers are awesome guys.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    the game should be like Just Cause 2, but instead of the island of Panau it's the island of Dinosaurs. Rico has his parachute, some guns, his grapple, and a motorcycle. The End.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the game should be like Just Cause 2, but instead of the island of Panau it's the island of Dinosaurs. Rico has his parachute, some guns, his grapple, and a motorcycle. The End.

down w/this

• Options
    that's a completely different game then four player co-op sci fi dinosaur shoot.

that's open world single player low sci-fi dinosaur shoot high jack a plane crash it into the twin T-rexes.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    tether one dinosaur to another dinosaur. hijinks ensue

• Options
    tether a dinosaur to one of those propane rockets that rico can ride around on if you're pro. hijinks ensue

• Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    i would totally play Just Cause: Jurassic Park, but that's a completely different game.

• Options
    rico tethers onto a passing pteranodon and does a stunt jump onto its back, at which point he is pursued by a flock of pteranodons. hijinks ensue.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    the Wii version of the Ghostbusters Game had you fight a skeletal T rex as a boss right?

its a shame that wasnt in the 360 / ps3 version