Options

Would you want to know that you were a robot?

spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filledRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
So a stranger comes to you one day and tells you that there is a possibility that you are not actually a person, but are an intricate automaton constructed from living tissue to resemble a person exactly. If this is the case, then you would have been somehow conveyed to your parents without their knowledge that you were not an actual person, and in fact, the base tissue used in your construction would have been created from your parent's DNA. If you were an automaton, noone in the world but your creator and this stranger would know or be able to distinguish you from an ordinary person. You would have a normal life expectancy, and there really would be nothing to distinguish you from any actual person. When the stranger asks you if you want to know the truth, how would you respond and why?

Edit: As a further question, what level of superpower or other difference would be enough to make you want to be this automaton, instead of a "noncreated" person? Would being able to run really fast once in your life be enough? What about knowing that your life expectancy is one day longer than what it would have been otherwise?

spacekungfuman on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So a stranger comes to you one day and tells you that there is a possibility that you are not actually a person, but are an intricate automaton constructed from living tissue to resemble a person exactly. If this is the case, then you would have been somehow conveyed to your parents without their knowledge that you were not an actual person, and in fact, the base tissue used in your construction would have been created from your parent's DNA. If you were an automaton, noone in the world but your creator and this stranger would know or be able to distinguish you from an ordinary person. You would have a normal life expectancy, and there really would be nothing to distinguish you from any actual person. When the stranger asks you if you want to know the truth, how would you respond and why?

Two responses:

1) I would tell the stranger to get back on their meds, and inform the orderly that they were off them.

2) I wouldn't care if it were true or not, because I was such a perfect simulacrum of humanity that conveyed zero benefit, and made from my parents biomass... it would be a pointless piece of unprovable knowledge.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    It sounds like what you're really asking is if I'd want to know if I were a test-tube baby

And yeah, I think I could handle it

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    hey, spacekungfuman, did you know you were a robot?

you'll never be able to find any evidence of this, you'll just have to trust me

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    We are all meat robots.

Meat.

Robots.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    That is a really stupid thought experiment for overcomplicating a simple question about souls.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    So I was formed in a lab instead of my genetic mother's uterus? It's not that big a deal.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I would want to know because it would be awesome. Raise your hand if you're a cyborg... ohh, that's right, sorry everyone else, I forgot. Don't worry, my kind will remember you guys fondly when we rule the galaxy.

Yar on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    does this mean I have to kidnap a progeriac to infiltrate a pyramid skyscraper with chess strategies to kill a dude with comically exaggerated myopia?

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think I would not want to know, just because it could feel isolating, and trigger a lot of questions like why someone created you. There seems to be no advantage to knowing.

And lets assume that they could somehow prove it, maybe with a video of your construction.

And this is different from a "test tube baby" because that is a natural biological process just occuring in a simulated environment, with some extra help in the form of selecting the best eggs and sperm, and possibly thinning out the outer membrane of the blastocyte to make hatching easier. Here, we are talking about someone literally weaving you together out of tissue grown in a lab.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    HamHamJ wrote:
    That is a really stupid thought experiment for overcomplicating a simple question about souls.

I wasn't thinking about souls at all. It was just something that occured to me that seemed a little interesting to think about.

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I wouldn't care, a difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Erik
  • Options
    Oh yeah, if this is one of those scenarios in which two things are indistinguishable, and yet are supposedly still two different things, I say hogwash.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I only care if I get superpowers. Like the strength of ten gorillas.

However, I already know I'm not a robot, because I'm normal height.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote:

I wasn't thinking about souls at all. It was just something that occured to me that seemed a little interesting to think about.

You are claiming a nonphysical nonobservable deferentiation between these two stated. That's soul talk regardless of how you spin it.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Houn wrote:

I totally read that as "the stealth of ten gorillas." Which I want to MSPaint now.

Yar on
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote:
    HamHamJ wrote:

You are claiming a nonphysical nonobservable deferentiation between these two stated. That's soul talk regardless of how you spin it.

No, more just that even though you are physically identical, you have knowledge that you were created and you don't know why. That question wouldn't bother you at all? I mean, I don't even think I believe in the idea of the soul, and that is honestly not where I was coming from with this, although I see how you could think that.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'd want to know so that I could find whoever made me and ask them why they didn't give me superpowers if they were going through the effort anyway.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    but are an intricate automaton constructed from living tissue to resemble a person exactly.
    But this is what a person is?

World's best janitor
  • Options
    I think its really interesting that so many people would not care at all.

So what level of super powers would you need to want to be created? What if you had the power to run incredibly fast one time in your life? What if you were just slightly stronger than another person with a similiar build to yours?

• Options
    lu tze wrote:
    but are an intricate automaton constructed from living tissue to resemble a person exactly.
    What is a man?
    2359-2023677491.jpg

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012

So what level of super powers would you need to want to be created? What if you had the power to run incredibly fast one time in your life? What if you were just slightly stronger than another person with a similiar build to yours?

Enough to be a Hall of Fame-level professional athlete. If you are going to do it, go for broke.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote:
    lu tze wrote:
    What is a man?
    2359-2023677491.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWGIzSGtOc

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    And this is different from a "test tube baby" because that is a natural biological process just occuring in a simulated environment, with some extra help in the form of selecting the best eggs and sperm, and possibly thinning out the outer membrane of the blastocyte to make hatching easier. Here, we are talking about someone literally weaving you together out of tissue grown in a lab.

Unless there's a material difference (say, the lab-growing process is imperfect and I might suffer some kind of tissue breakdown or organ failure someday) then it just does not matter at all.

I think I would not want to know, just because it could feel isolating, and trigger a lot of questions like why someone created you.

I find questions of "why do I exist?" to be rather uninteresting. There is no why. (Literally; I was an accident. My parents didn't want a second child.) I'm not particularly bothered by this. The question 'why do I exist?' is an academic curiosity, but neither the question nor the answer alter the fact that I do exist.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    the base tissue used in your construction would have been created from your parent's DNA.

I don't think you know what the word "robot" means. The important part here seems to be that you were created somewhere else and inserted into your mother somehow, not that you're non-human. In which case yes, the question would be "why"? Presumably the stranger would be able to provide some light on that.

The entire thought experiment seems rather ill-thought out and possibly inspired by Battlestar Galactica, the writers of which also don't seem to know what a "robot" is.

That's because you constructed it stupidly. You might as well have said "OMG what if you were actually a colony of cooperating single-celled specialized organisms, guyz!! No, I'm not talking about cells, honest!" You haven't specified any reason the person wouldn't be human in this scenario. There was no need to bring robots into it, you should have just used in vitro fertilisation without the mother's knowledge. And since it was using the parent's DNA, it still wouldn't be much different than normal childbirth, except the question of why someone would go through all this trouble to produce what seem to be a normal person.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    131032722739.jpg

Is this guy chasing after me?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Houn wrote:

What if we could take your robot brain and put it in a tiger body?

ronzo on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This seems somewhat relevant, though possibly because it's just fresh on my mind, having just finished a book that explores this idea somewhat. Basically, if something is designed to be able to fool everyone into thinking its X, no matter what kind of experiments you might throw at it, you may as well just call it X. If someone made a perfect clone of a human being that everyone is convinced is actually a humna being, then it's human enough.

As to wondering why you were created, I'm confused as to why this isn't a question thjat everyone can ask. Why did your mom and dad make you? They wanted a kid? They wanted a caretaker when they got old? Whoops, condom broke?

If I found out I was a "synthetic" human, I would assume I was built because some scientist wanted to see if he could do it. Works for me. Also, I would learn to dance a rpoper robot so all the other robots don't make fun of me at robot balls.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular

Edit: As a further question, what level of superpower or other difference would be enough to make you want to be this automaton, instead of a "noncreated" person? Would being able to run really fast once in your life be enough? What about knowing that your life expectancy is one day longer than what it would have been otherwise?

Yes, because more importantly...Do I have a bomb in my chest? ;o
    th_I45056-2001Dec14.jpg

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    It wouldn't matter. In fact, it would actually be philosophically convenient for me personally if I were, as I would then be able to force those who disagree with me into saying really awkward things ('you're saying that I don't know anything? You're saying that my words are meaningless?' etc.)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote:
    Houn wrote:

What if we could take your robot brain and put it in a tiger body?

Two Words: Adrienne Barbeaubot.

Yeah, spacekungfuman, I think you need to redefine your question. What are you really asking here? Are you asking if an individual would want to know that they are artificial? Artificial vs... what?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Every morning I start my day by listening to All Along the Watchtower and slapping the first person I see* to make sure I'm not a robot.

* Because anyone who makes a robot that doesn't have a "do no harm to Humans" rule is asking for it.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I think I would not want to know, just because it could feel isolating, and trigger a lot of questions like why someone created you. There seems to be no advantage to knowing.

And lets assume that they could somehow prove it, maybe with a video of your construction.

This is literally a difference of two cells. Otherwise they're equally artificial.

As to why someone created you, it'd probably be about the same as you were created in the first place. Actually, odds are probably much higher they created you purposely as opposed to all the accidents out there.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    In the original postulation I wouldn't care one way or the other. We're all accidentally created biological machines.

Now if there were some law that would mean I had to be shut down or if I had some weird ass underlying programming maybe I'd want to know then but like someone said up there, a difference that makes no difference isn't a difference.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Feral wrote:
    I think I would not want to know, just because it could feel isolating, and trigger a lot of questions like why someone created you.

I find questions of "why do I exist?" to be rather uninteresting. There is no why. (Literally; I was an accident. My parents didn't want a second child.) I'm not particularly bothered by this. The question 'why do I exist?' is an academic curiosity, but neither the question nor the answer alter the fact that I do exist.

Let's get some being and time up in here, Heidegger style.

Lucid on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So long as my legal status is safe I can't see why I would care. Like, the biggest change is that I would get some new sexytime nicknames. :winky:

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Well yeah. It'd sure explain why I keep having all these dreams about unicorns...

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Lucid wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Let's get some being and time up in here, Heidegger style.

What is meant by being? Is being split up into multiple ways of Being-in-the-World, or is it the Being of a being in itself and its totality of Being?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yar wrote:
    Houn wrote:

I totally read that as "the stealth of ten ten gorillas." Which I want to MSPaint now.

forest.jpg
    I'll save you the trouble. There are 10 gorillas in this picture.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Delzhand wrote:
    Yar wrote:
    Houn wrote:

I totally read that as "the stealth of ten gorillas." Which I want to MSPaint now.

I'll save you the trouble. There are 10 gorillas in this picture.

OMG the stealth!