As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can I just be totally honest? I'm in the multiplayer beta, and I absolutely loathe this game. Like, I hate games like Modern Warfare 2 and 3, but I still played them when people wanted me to. This, though: I don't think I'll ever play this again. I hate it that much. I'm pretty familiar with the basics of this game. I played the hell out of Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and all that shit. I actually really liked the multiplayer in R6V2, and I find this to be very similar overall, just ... worse in almost every way I can imagine.

Because there are so many places to take cover, people could be hiding behind like, literally anything. This means that whoever's defending has an enormous advantage. Whenever my team secures the objective first, it's a totally one-sided fight. We just slaughter everyone who comes near. When the other team gets it, though, it's the other way around. Trying to get to that objective is like tossing yourself into a fucking wood chipper, over and over and over again.

It's just ... I mean Jesus, I don't think I've ever been so shitty about my online experience on a game before.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Ok, I know literally nothing about this game, but just downloaded the beta because I own Convinction.

Dear god the level of weapon customization.
    All the body paint schemes (couple flat color, each branch's "signiture" Camo, other countries Camo, no golden guns), trigger options, barrel options, mag options, underbarrel, side rail, stocks, fucking GAS LEVELS...

I'm in heaven. Of only the character models could be as customizable.

So it seems to play like a cross between Conviction, R6: V an MGO? I hope it's playable.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    In the full version the gun customization can be done via Kinect.

I dont care if its gimmicky. I am going to but Minority Reporting the hell out of those gun, spinning them around and pulling them apart.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    NeuralFizz wrote: »
    STEAL YOUR MANS with Jack Bauer.

Oh man I'd forgotten all about that, it was the best game mode.

I have a ton of store credit at the moment so I preordered this despite not being 100% on it yet. I've enjoyed what I've played of the beta but haven't spent enough time with it to make a real judgement.

Am I right in thinking the whole single player campaign is playable in four player co-op, or is it a separate campaign again like in GRAW?

Also what's the player limit for the VS modes? Look like 16 going by the lobby but I never saw more than 12 in a match.

PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    How do you get into multiplayer beta? Are there super secret keys needed?

• Options
    Just get a copy of Splinter Cell: Conviction.
    On 360, press X at the menu screen and you can start downloading it.

I wish I knew what the hell was going on and I could see what the hell I'm doing (playing on an old SD tv), but yeah, this is a LOT like Metal Gear Online.

Stun guns and flash grenades seem REALLY FUCKING OVERPOWERED though.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    GRO beta's been interesting

but there are some shitty maps

and waaaay too many people like to sit back and snipe

that's uh....that's not what you do in objective-based gameplay after you cap a point. ADVANCE, MOTHERFUCKERS.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    That's the most frustrating part, honestly. The shitty thing is that it's way too easy, and way too effective, to just camp your balls off and create a kill zone around an objective. Most of the time, when a match ends, everyone on my squad will have like 3 kills and 2 deaths or something. Meanwhile, I'm like tossing myself into a goddamn wood chipper, trying to secure the objective for the win.

• Options
    You just can't see anybody. Ever. I mean, I hate it so much when I'm carefully making my way through an area, checking all my corners, and just basically being as quick and quiet as I can possibly be, so I don't attract any unwanted attention, and then I get shot out of nowhere. When I watch the kill cam, I notice that there are like 2-3 guys in my immediate area who are all watching me, just waiting for the right moment to open up. I mean, give me a fucking break. How is anyone reasonably supposed to get past that?

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I didn't like it much, besides the automated cover switching. I'll probably rent the game anyway, and give it another shot.

• Options
    Ok, wasn't too thrilled with the lack of character customization (head swaps only), but at the very least I hope they do what they've been doing with previous TC games and allow unified character progress. Cause I would really like to play Multi with some better gear, but I'd rather grind out some levels/unlocks in solo/campaign/T-hunt first then get lucky while repeatedly getting shot in the face.

Still, LOVE the weapon customization.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Anyone have a spare key to GRO lying around? Was a big fan of the older ones when I was younger.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Check your PMs.

• Options
    CoS_EthanCoS_Ethan Gamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm a fan of Tom Clancy's, I played several Tom Clancy game on iOS paltform. Have to wait for it till the end of May.

CoS_Ethan on
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    So who else is loving the looks of co-op in this game? I love me some co-op gameplay. It just seems like we never get enough of it these days...

• Options
    I loved co-op in GR2 and R6 for Xbox. Going through them with my 3 roommates was awesome.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    yeah, wow that MP video looked like MGO with no cardboard box (and hopefully streamlined controls, honestly my only real gripe with MGO...I miss that game)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    Are you guys all playing the beta? I have it but have barely gotten to play it at all :/ too busy and it ends too soon!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I recall the trailer for this intriguing me, but as someone who plays FPSs for the SP campaign, I'm not getting burnt on another MW style "SP is 4 hours long (if that), MP YOUR ASS OFF" that I never touch. Until I hear otherwise from you guys, I'll probably wait a couple of years until it's $5-10 on a Steam sale.

Like, I enjoyed MW1 & 2's SP campaigns, but they are absurdly short, and I felt a little ripped off even buying them for under $20 each on sale.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    I recall the trailer for this intriguing me, but as someone who plays FPSs for the SP campaign, I'm not getting burnt on another MW style "SP is 4 hours long (if that), MP YOUR ASS OFF" that I never touch. Until I hear otherwise from you guys, I'll probably wait a couple of years until it's $5-10 on a Steam sale.

Like, I enjoyed MW1 & 2's SP campaigns, but they are absurdly short, and I felt a little ripped off even buying them for under $20 each on sale.

Not knowing anything about this game and only going off previous Tom Clancy games, I think you might be ok. There's usually a decent length SP campaign, and co-op stuff (either in the form of a campaign but at the very least terrorist hunt/horde mode, which can also be done solo) in addition to multi.

But then again, the only Ghost Recon games I've played are Shadow Wars and before that was GR2 on oXbox so I don't know what, if any, changes GRAW did and how this is different.

And Eupfhoria, it is a lot like MGO. You don't have to "login" like in MGO, but you have a mini-map that shows enemy locations and you can see their outlines (like if they're behind cover) if someone else on your team has line of sight, someone throws a beacon and their within it's radius, or someone managed to stun them and hack their system (this shows you everyone on that fireteam for a few moments. Each team can have up to 2 squads of 5 man fireteams).

Also, this is VERY teamwork orientated. You can also spawn on your team mates unless their dead, in combat or near an objective.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    Advanced Warfighter (especially the first) was a damn fine game in its day. The first real "next gen" experience that demonstrated that the 360 could do more than add a shine filter to every texture.

Hell, even the original series I used to play on my dad's beat up laptop. Wasn't there a level or two set in Cuba? Good times.

• Options
    Shaftoe47Shaftoe47 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    milk ducks wrote: »
    You just can't see anybody. Ever. I mean, I hate it so much when I'm carefully making my way through an area, checking all my corners, and just basically being as quick and quiet as I can possibly be, so I don't attract any unwanted attention, and then I get shot out of nowhere. When I watch the kill cam, I notice that there are like 2-3 guys in my immediate area who are all watching me, just waiting for the right moment to open up. I mean, give me a fucking break. How is anyone reasonably supposed to get past that?

Sounds like you dont have any decent engineers on your squad. If that's the case, do everyone a favor and be one. Instead of grenades, you can get 2 Senors to throw. They are very helpful when used appropriately. And once you unlock the uav, the game really changes. I have been finding myself spending entire matches sitting in the rear piloting the uav and calling out enemy positions for the rest of the squad. Also if you can keep the reticle on the targets, it highlights them on your team mates screens. This works great for offensive and defensive tactics. Sure you won't get the kills like yr mates will, but GR isn't abt that. The satisfaction of running a good squad beats out a high k/d anytime IMO.

In short, if you see an enemy uav, kill it.

Also throw a heartbeat sensor on yr rifle if u want to be a rifleman. Its limited in range, but would also solve your complaint.

I have similar concerns as many have made, but being a die hard GR fan, I'm a day one with this one. A main complaint of mine is how sticky all the cover is. It. really stinks to need to bust ass and to continuously get stuck on each passing cover. Many times I have felt this had lead to lost conflicts. Hopefully that will be addressed in the final.

Shaftoe47 on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Got another beta code (360):
    36DDK-4H9KT-2CJTD-GPC6D-W7DFZ

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    Man, I miss GR1. GRAW PC was quite good, but felt like easy mode compared to 1.

Anyone else leave a thousand corpses in that plantation field at the beginning of Island Thunder?

I was here to just say that, but reading this actually looks interesting. I'll have to give it a shot. It's GR, so I'll play it even while I bitch about it.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    LaPuzza wrote: »

Anyone else leave a thousand corpses in that plantation field at the beginning of Island Thunder?

BROFIST Though honestly, every one of my missions had a 100% bodycount. Unsurprisingly, I usually was the machine gunner in my online group's squad. Even when I'm tacticool, I gotta have my dakkadakka.
    I'll have to give it a shot. It's GR, so I'll play it even while I bitch about it.
    I lost faith in Ghost Recon ages ago, but I still kinda have this mentality with the Rainbow Six games. I guess it's just the back of my brain trying to cling to whatever hope it can that maybe one day Ubisoft will put out a real tactical game again.

I keep hoping someone will post something here though that will make me go FUCK YEAH GHOST RECON, but my hopes keep getting dashed on the rocks.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I would like to try it.

In case anyone has a code to spare for the 360, I'm up for man-shootings.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

Obviously you haven't played an engineer yet then. 2 engineers on your team will pretty much negate any camping the other team does for at least 70% of the game. It makes engaging and capturing a point from the other team fairly easy. Plus the ghost shotgun is bananas, and the AK-74? *Kisses*

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    I really like how it goes from 3rd person, to kinda shoulder aim, to actual gun sights. I hope we get a co-op or single play demo before the release though. I'm not pre-ordering based on just multiplayer.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm interested in this game, but it comes out at the worst possible time. I'll already be juggling Max Payne 3 and Dragon's Dogma, there's no room for a third. I'll have to pick it up down the line when its cheaper, but I'm afraid I'll be too far behind everyone else who's been playing MP since launch and it wont be fun :(

Another drawback to the CoD style unlock/level up system.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 I'm sure we'll have a good bunch of PennyArcaders playing together by then, just join in then. Battlefield 3 was much easier on new guys who played in squads that actually worked and communicated together, I'm assuming this game will be the same.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this game, but it comes out at the worst possible time. I'll already be juggling Max Payne 3 and Dragon's Dogma, there's no room for a third. I'll have to pick it up down the line when its cheaper, but I'm afraid I'll be too far behind everyone else who's been playing MP since launch and it wont be fun :(

Another drawback to the CoD style unlock/level up system.

Maybe you won't be so far behind.
    I'm not picking it up till later as well, and TC games have blended the online/offline unlocks with their whole PEC thing they have. Though I never played GRAW so I dont know how it worked for this series.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I think I might be in for the goofy USB rocket launcher and chance to win an xB which I'd flip basically instantly to some dudebro for $UTAH.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    And in a crazy flip flop, I've decided to cancel my pre-order and get Diablo 3 instead. I just don't feel like it's going to have much replay value for a month, maybe two at the most. I've really enjoyed the multiplayer beta when it works, but I think I'll wait until it's down to about $30 before I get into it.

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    More single player gameplay going on Youtube lately. I think this is level 10 "Invisible Bear".

youtube.com/watch?v=ken1gDQo50o

• Options
    Crashtard wrote: »
    And in a crazy flip flop, I've decided to cancel my pre-order and get Diablo 3 instead. I just don't feel like it's going to have much replay value for a month, maybe two at the most. I've really enjoyed the multiplayer beta when it works, but I think I'll wait until it's down to about $30 before I get into it.

You'll have to give me your B.net info, man. Also, drop on by the PA D3 thread. We're basically in full-on organization mode at this point.

• Options
    So what's the background on this game's story?

I noticed the Russians had the same icon as they did in EndWar.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    No dissing Coco, she's married to Ice-T the baddest dude in the whole damn town.

Also, DAT ASS!

• Options
    So apparently this is out next week.
    While I enjoyed the beta, it definately felt more like you needed a cohesive team with defined roles instead of "here's a gun, go shoot mans" of other shooters.

I might pick it up soonish if I can find it for cheap.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JMT_AOTPJMT_AOTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    So what's the background on this game's story?

I noticed the Russians had the same icon as they did in EndWar.

Have not seen this posted here and this will answer your question.
    http://youtu.be/7-wAzlqzXH0

JMT_AOTP on