As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft2] CLOSING TIME!! GO TO THE NEW THREAD!!

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Woo, I was worried after our bad showing against Kedinik's team, but JustCheese League persevered and we're in the finals.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The four leading maps for elimination are Shattered Temple, Metalopolis, Tal'Darim Altar, and Entombed Valley.

Currently I veto all of those except Shattered Temple, and if one of them is gone I'll be able to veto them all.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I kind of want to see Shakuras gone, too. Its pretty imbalanced in competitive play and removing it from ladder would give a lot of momentum to removing it from tournaments too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    I'm guessing Zerg are a bit stick of trying to breast Terran players on shattered.

I'm guessing Zergs are voting Shattered, Terrans Metal, and Protoss TDA.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Is Shakuras considered favored for zerg. Cause quite frankly I play zerg, and I hate that map. I have so much trouble defending my third.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I certainly voted tda. Gotta love those ling run bys

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Is Shakuras considered favored for zerg. Cause quite frankly I play zerg, and I hate that map. I have so much trouble defending my third.
    TLPD International Statistics for Shakuras Plateau 2.0

TvZ 525-469 52.8%
    ZvP 468-434 51.9%
    PvT 402-517 43.7%

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    TLPD International Statistics for Shakuras Plateau 2.0

TvZ 525-469 52.8%
    ZvP 468-434 51.9%
    PvT 402-517 43.7%

So unless I read that wrong, it's favored for terran? That makes sense to me. Dropping on the high ground to attack the third. The big main for plenty of drops. Not to mention terran seems to have an easier time controlling the center with tanks and such. I can't even explain why, it just feels that way to me.

• Options
    Its hugely favoured for Terran in TvZ and TvP, and slightly favoured for Zerg in ZvP due to the difficulty of approaching the third without being flanked.

• Options
    theSquid wrote: »
    I certainly voted tda. Gotta love those ling run bys

TDA is actually a map I like to play PvZ on. But I'd want it gone for PvP alone.

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    Well I voted to get rid of Metalopilis. I'm just sick of that map. No other reason.

11776-1.png
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Did anyone else just watch that Life vs Supernova game? Pretty crazy base race with both of them hiding and rebuilding and hiding somemore.

• Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    I want steppes of war back

Where do I vote for that?

1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Metal and Temple seem to be the easy ones to kick

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    @Houn I really recommend Drewbie's strategy guide (http://www.complexitygaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4456). It does a nice job of including both an initial build order and then a bit more description so you understand what you are aiming for.

I am going to read this shortly, thanks!

• Options
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Terran drops me, takes a late expo. I get a runby in and kill his eco. And then the BM commences (nothing too extreme, just a lot of blaming zerg imba for losing).

http://drop.sc/133455

shwaip on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    Belial is a perfect example of someone who isn't a great player but knows what he's talking about

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    shwaip wrote: »
    Terran drops me, takes a late expo. I get a runby in and kill his eco. And then the BM commences (nothing too extreme, just a lot of blaming zerg imba for losing).

http://drop.sc/133455

that was hillarious...

• Options
    HummingbirdHummingbird Registered User regular
    Shamelessly bragging. Hit a little quick TvT on ladder earlier. :)

http://drop.sc/133461

• Options
    According to the map on drop.sc you guys spawned close positions

wat

• Options
    that's how awesome my hax are. force close on shattered :)

it was actually close air idk what drop.sc's thinking...

• Options
    This calls into question the entire legitimacy of your replay's authenticity. You are a random player and cannot be trusted!

• Options
    I blame the replay reader of drop.sc!

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My guess is it determines close positions by pure x y coordinates instead of path finding.

• Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    My life is a joke. Joe was trying to help me resolve my FPS issues and I said "My Internet connection isn't an issue". Not one second later my Internet went down.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That was a pretty sick replay, congratz.

You must impart your wisdom onto us (but mainly me).

Edit: Woh woh woh, wait a minute. Demuslim doesn't send his workers to mine until 8 seconds in.

This completely deligitimizes the replay, you fraud.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    D: 8 seconds in barely changes much, especially cause he made up for it via gasless cc vs reaper expo, so we're even :)

• Options
    I noticed you both went for relatively quick sensor towers, is that something people have been doing more often lately?

• Options
    paranoia, especially in close air on maps like shattered and metal (covers drops, and the siege-by-side-of base

• Options
    not playing terran frequently enough to know this - I've read that sensor tower blips only show in vision and not on minimap

true/false?

• Options
    false

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Update on League:

Playoffs are Professional Photon Cyclists vs JustCheese League and Jailyard vs ProxyTossGirl. Turn in your map assignments ASAP!

I am inclined to make the competitive week run from Sunday the 18th to Saturday the 24th, to give people a little more time to prepare but also to make it the case that the default time (Saturday 2-4) is at the end of the week, so if you can't organize any other time, everybody shows up for the default time, and we play the games. Let me know how you feel about this (captains)!

My spreadsheet shows that there is an ace match owed between Photon Cyclists and Proxy Tossgirls. Has this taken place? Give me updates!

@mmmig @variable @meeks @kedinik

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    THIS HAS NOT TAKEN PLACE

WHY HAS THE COWARDLY MMMIG NOT SENT SOMEONE FORWARD

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    TannerMS wrote: »
    THIS HAS NOT TAKEN PLACE

WHY HAS THE COWARDLY MMMIG NOT SENT SOMEONE FORWARD

yeh, he tried to pull that shit in the first week too.

sandbags down a tier, and then doesnt want the final nail driven in the coffin.

someone's waiting to bounce on his goomba head.

• Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Take a break from your depressing lives and sing the accolades of Mr. Dover! Put this up on the fridge with a smiley face! shameless bump
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    This is totally not SC2 related, but I like you guys and gals and figured you'd like to see the results of my recent Level Design class at school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVM5ZPFV5Mc

About a month of work using only the assets provided by UDK. Well, my voice for the announcer, but everything else provided by the engine. Not bad for someone who doesn't want to design levels for a living. :D

Edit: Wow, I forgot that I uploaded my first attempt at a UDK level from last year. What a difference a year makes.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Spoiler for off-topic:
    I didn't care for Dover's map. The visuals were bland, and the textures too busy and non-distinct. You walked through several doors before I was able to identify they were doors. There was not enough visual information regarding the switch puzzle; you can figure it out via brute force eventually, but it's not clear at a glance what you're supposed to be doing and why. I do appreciate the three areas being slightly distinct. However, you then deny the player the payoff of promised weapons, and proceed to an odd jumping/vehicle/box puzzle thing that was completely nonsensical; how is one supposed to innately know that you can shoot the boxes, when they look like any other static wall? Additionally, why use the car for the jump instead of the flying machine?

It's a decent student project, and shows off some great modeling, sound and atmospheric skills, but as far as gameplay design, it was a jumble of random, unexplained elements. You can handwave this away as a student project, yes, but the information design, accessibility, and logic of a game world will have a far longer and stronger reaction on a player than pretty visuals and explosions.

Compare Narbacular Drop to Portal. Once is a cool jumble of level ideas that play with a unique mechanic, the other is a stunning masterpiece of information design and concept training. Those are the skills you want to be improving; those are the skills that make you one of the greats.

Sorry Dover. I hope it doesn't come off as mean as it sounds.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Spoiler for off-topic:
    I didn't care for Dover's map. The visuals were bland, and the textures too busy and non-distinct. You walked through several doors before I was able to identify they were doors. There was not enough visual information regarding the switch puzzle; you can figure it out via brute force eventually, but it's not clear at a glance what you're supposed to be doing and why. I do appreciate the three areas being slightly distinct. However, you then deny the player the payoff of promised weapons, and proceed to an odd jumping/vehicle/box puzzle thing that was completely nonsensical; how is one supposed to innately know that you can shoot the boxes, when they look like any other static wall? Additionally, why use the car for the jump instead of the flying machine?

It's a decent student project, and shows off some great modeling, sound and atmospheric skills, but as far as gameplay design, it was a jumble of random, unexplained elements. You can handwave this away as a student project, yes, but the information design, accessibility, and logic of a game world will have a far longer and stronger reaction on a player than pretty visuals and explosions.

Compare Narbacular Drop to Portal. Once is a cool jumble of level ideas that play with a unique mechanic, the other is a stunning masterpiece of information design and concept training. Those are the skills you want to be improving; those are the skills that make you one of the greats.

Sorry Dover. I hope it doesn't come off as mean as it sounds.

Ouch! >.<
    You make quite a few good points. The models and textures were all UDK and had nothing to do with me. In fact, the only thing I was working on was the level design!

I did deny the player's weapons because the initial build was to have a AI bot battle instead of the hanger/jump area. I wanted the player to have to duck and dodge before getting a weapon and extracting revenge. Due to my inability to grasp AI programming in time, I had to trash the idea. Plus I like it when the player has no weapons. Screw 'em! :D

You're right about the brute force on the puzzle. I hate flying cameras revealing clues and shit, way to hand holding for me. Sadly, this was the result of several non-gamers playtesting it and observing how they perceived the puzzle. You should have seen the lights and stuff before this version. Also, because I needed the player to see the gate explode, I had to force them to come out that door way so to see the event. Definitely could have been done better though.

As for the end, there was no way out of the area with the hovercraft without blowing up the boxes. There's also a "press mouse button to fire" prompt. I also made it so that you couldn't fit the ship into the hallway, so the player was forced into trying something else. The buggy was visible through the stairs and bathed in yellow to make it stand out amongst the blue backdrop. Being a nice guy, I removed the "self-destruct" timer I was thinking about adding in the end.

In any event, I told my classmates and professor that this would be something I'd hand off to artists, animators, and designers to tweak into a full, final level. Again, I'm not into level design as much as managing or mechanics.

Houn, Y U No love me?!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page