As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    "Not being fully committed before trying to pull down my nickers"?

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Just curious, how are you going to describe their infraction?

Well... they already succeeded with Tetris. The original app was removed and replaced by a "New" app. If you lose your original IPA file, you'd be forced to buy this new one.

http://toucharcade.com/2012/04/12/tetris-loving-ipad-owners-just-got-ead-hard/

EA is revoking application licenses without informing consumers the license is limited in the first place. As Jam Warrior quoted from Wikipedia on the previous page:

"US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations state that, for an advertised offer to be lawful, the terms of the offer must be clear and conspicuous, not relegated to fine print."

I haven't looked into Canadian law, but it has to be similar. I somehow doubt the Minister of Consumer Services is even aware of this issue in the first place. Regardless, even IF it isn't illegal in Canada, nothing will change if we just sit on our thumbs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Tetris app was removed, and they are within their rights to do that. It's akin to not printing more of a game, if you wanna look at it that way. I dunno what the costs are to keep a game on the App Store, but it can't be free.

The difference here is that they were going also going to do an update that rendered your game unplayable. You could choose to not update, but how long before you clumsily hit "Update All" one night before going to bed?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The difference here is that they were going also going to do an update that rendered your game unplayable. You could choose to not update, but how long before you clumsily hit "Update All" one night before going to bed?

That's the biggest sticking point, for sure. Especially since there's no "skip this update" option. You're forever stuck with one app in your update list.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    except they said they aren't doing that at all.

• Options

True. They aren't now. But if you believe that they didn't intend to (before they were caught realized the error), I may have a bridge to sell you.

• Options

True. They aren't now. But if you believe that they didn't intend to (before they were caught realized the error), I may have a bridge to sell you.

Yeah, kinda like how ME3 is getting FREE epilogue DLC now. EA is the king of backpeddling.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    So what's the goal of getting the feds involved? Stop EA from sending messages that make them look stupid?

• Options
    So what's the goal of getting the feds involved? Stop EA from sending messages that make them look stupid?

To hopefully set in motion a future where I won't one day find the dozens of games I've paid for suddenly broken forever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

To hopefully set in motion a future where I won't one day find the dozens of games I've paid for suddenly broken forever.

That's not very specific. What do you want the government to do about it?

• Options

That's not very specific. What do you want the government to do about it?

First I would ask that they legislate a change that grants full ownership of an app to the buyer. This license cannot be revoked just like a company can't walk into your house and take physical media away from you. In a situation where the provider of the app cannot grant full ownership due to whatever reason, then they must detail the limitations of said license in the app description and NOT in the license agreement.

Secondly, I would ask that should EA be found in violation of the law, that EA be fined to the fullest extent of the law for breaking their contractual obligation to their customers.

I just read the license agreement in the AppStore:

"The term of your license shall commence on the date that you install or otherwise use the Application, and shall end on the earlier of the date that you dispose of - the Application."

EA would have been in violation of their own licensing agreement had they not backpeddled.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

You might be better off contacting Apple about that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

You might be better off contacting Apple about that.

Haaahhhh... funny. Considering Apple gets a cut of every app sold on their store, a change like this would cost them profits. I can't see them doing anything about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can't see many regulatory bodies stepping in on "They said they were going to do something bad but then they didn't."

• Options
    I can't see many regulatory bodies stepping in on "They said they were going to do something bad but then they didn't."

Except they already succeeding doing this with another game. Then they tried it with Rockband and failed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Why not? It actually sounds like an opportune time for the legislative/regulatory function of government to clarify what the law is on this matter, since such a ruling would clarify the rights of the company and consumer in what is obviously a new area of the market.

This is a consumer law matter. Defining the parameters of consumer law is one of the core functions of governance in a capitalist society.

Phillishere on
  • Options

Except they already succeeding doing this with another game. Then they tried it with Rockband and failed.

What other game?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

That's not the same. You can still play the original Tetris. You just can download it again if you delete it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

That's not the same. You can still play the original Tetris. You just can download it again if you delete it.

Right. That one's totally okay, and is the equivilant of a game going "out of print." you can still play it, it just isn't available for new purchases.

Totally different from pushing an update that forever kills a game you already bought. THAT is not cool.

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    oh my god so are there some hot new games I should be checking out?

:winky:
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Nalouto wrote: »
    oh my god so are there some hot new games I should be checking out?

Nope.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Also the big name old games that came up free recently were far from hot themselves. Without the benefit of nostalgia, 7th guest swings wildly between 'so bad it's good' and just 'so bad'. And Majesty does not appeal at all. Got as far as the Troll defending mission but every game seems to play almost exactly the same, i.e. upgrade everything at base whilst your heroes fight off endless hoards of invaders and level up, replace your wizards as they die, when done upgrading send a mob off to slowly kill all monster lairs in the area. Repeat ad nauseum.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    The Yggdrasil boardgame was just released for iPad, for $6.

Not having played the physical game, it seems mostly good, though it's missing a few opportunities to check on what something does mid-game, and maybe I'm dumb, but it seems like you can't get back to your game if you go to the menu. Which, if true, would surely be patched quickly.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    And Majesty does not appeal at all. Got as far as the Troll defending mission but every game seems to play almost exactly the same, i.e. upgrade everything at base whilst your heroes fight off endless hoards of invaders and level up, replace your wizards as they die, when done upgrading send a mob off to slowly kill all monster lairs in the area. Repeat ad nauseum.

What difficulty level are you playing at? I haven't played the iOS version much, but in the original PC version there were very real and fun decisions that had to be made in order to survive a scenario. If you're breezing through, then you may not be exposing yourself to the fun part.

I do remember my favorite scenario being one in which there's an actual other full kingdom on the same map, competing with you and doing all the same things you could do. It's a shame there weren't more like that.

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's been awhile since I played the iOS version, but I seem to remember the mission variety wasn't as great as the PC version.

It's just a fun time-waster on my phone though, so I can't really complain. I imagine if I was playing the iOS version on the iPad though, I would expect something more akin to the original PC game so I could see more disappointment there. It can feel pretty limiting at times, because you're limited to what...20 heroes? That's only 5 hero buildings!

Now if only Paradox would make a true sequel to Majesty...no, Majesty 2 doesn't count.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    So I got sorta hooked on Dungeon Hunter 3. If you are aware, they dropped the open-world and went with small arenas with waves of enemies you battle in a timed effort. It is actually quite good and doesn't require spending real money to play (keys to open chests regenerate up to 5, one every 20 minutes). Loot money in mission accumulates quickly to upgrade weapons.
    I haven't hit a difficulty plateau that most free-to-play games have. So I still feel no need to spend real money in game.

Problem is, I am going on travel in a couple weeks and lose Internet access and wifi for about a month. What is a good Diablo clone to enjoy? I never played DH2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    This new Nova game just looks too damn contemporary to me. I mean the other ones looked futuristic, this one looks like they just took Halo characters and dropped them into a present day environment. You know Crysis 2... I mean we've all said it looks like Crysis 2, and that's not an issue, just they took it too far and it's not a futuristic shooter anymore, just a near future one at best.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    you would think I had a Kairosoft obsession, *(I do.)

Japanese version of Dungeon village in the JPN app store.

this is a good thing. I think it looks fantastic, almost want to borrow a friends droid to play, but if its getting ported (or it already is!) I can wait.

:winky:
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Arkham City Lockdown's on sale for $3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I don't know if any of you guys have played Pizza vs. Skeletons, but the character creation tool is the stuff of nightmares.

• Options
    LuChiaveliLuChiaveli BrazilRegistered User regular
    You people like to play "Tower Defense" games?
    It's hard to find good games for the iphone, I think it is because most do not fit on the small screen ...
    Any recommendations?

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Plants vs Zombies

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
  • Options
    I had fun with one called "Tower Defense: Lost Earth"

link to the lite version: http://appshopper.com/games/tower-defense-lite

• Options
    edited May 2012
    LuChiaveli wrote: »
    You people like to play "Tower Defense" games?
    It's hard to find good games for the iphone, I think it is because most do not fit on the small screen ...
    Any recommendations?

Ha! I'm such a sucker for good TD games but it seems like everyone else is kind of sick of them.

As Six mentioned, PvZ is one of the best there is. I thought Tower Defense: Lost Earth was okay but nothing special. I think I got it for free and I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it. The one thing it did that was annoying was it kept hounding me about IAP specials and such when I was out of the game, but I guess that's my fault for enabling it to send me push notifications. Another negative point is the company who made it actually tried to trademark the name/term "Tower Defense," which pissed off a whole lot of people since it's widely recognized as the name of a genre, not a game. I'm not sure if they actually got the trademark but a lot of people were calling to boycott that company's games.

Anomaly: Warzone Earth - this is a great, sort of "backwards" tower defense game in that you control a convoy of vehicles that destroy enemy towers instead of the other way around. You play a little dude who runs around and supports your convoy with things like healing, smoke-screens to reduce enemy accuracy, set up decoys to draw enemy fire, or set aerial bombing strikes, etc. I played it on Steam and LOVED it. I'm not sure how it is on the iPhone but you might do a little research to see how reviews were. The PC version was very well received.

Fantasy Defense - A somewhat typical tower defense game made much better by the inclusion of permanent RPG elements. In addition to regular "towers" (which are actually warriors, mages, and archers) you get unique "hero" units that are much more powerful but you only get one of each hero per level. You get experience for each level you play and can use it to upgrade all the regular units or hero units. The other interesting thing is there are destructible things (rocks, etc.) in each level which will give you extra resources for that level. I did have to do a bit of grinding towards the end but nothing too excessive. You still get some experience if you fail a level so I didn't mind going back and trying to perfect everything or to keep failing a harder level. There are 50 levels and you can tell they recycled some basic level layouts, but it still kept me interested through to the end. I'm a sucker for RPG-like progression though.

Elf Defense - I just started playing this one the other day. It's pretty fun, nothing too exciting but the graphics have a certain charm to them. You can upgrade towers permanently after each level and there are some hero-type units as well, so it seems a little similar to Fantasy Defense.

Gem Keeper - a great by-the-books tower defense game. Each level is pretty unique and often force you to use certain tower types to keep things interesting.

Tiny Heroes - great "dungeon" defense game, meaning your towers are actually traps you use to stop invading heroes from stealing your gold. It gets pretty tough (especially the DLC stuff they added later on) but I still loved it.

Sentinel 3 - the first two games are okay but I would just start with this one. This also has permanent RPG-like progression and a main "hero" unit. I think the setting and graphics are kind of bland but it's still pretty fun.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The Creeps is really good, I like it a lot.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I really liked Geodefense

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuChiaveliLuChiaveli BrazilRegistered User regular
    Thank you House of Paincakes...
    I downloaded the game of the elves (because it's cutier).. I like it!
    I usually payed the "desktop td", a flash game... But this is better.

This discussion has been closed.