As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth [chat]

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Uggghhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuck

It is, like, blindingly obvious that I am not prepared to be an adult

Why do I have to become an adult now?

is there another assignment due, winky

there's another assignment due, isn't there

Of course there's another assignment due, there's another assignment due for the rest of my life.

But, rather, there is an exam tomorrow, two exams on Friday, none of which I am prepared for, then after the exam on Friday I fly out to San Francisco to do two interviews which is already disappointing because if I had been focused on that instead of everything else I could have more interviews planned, I haven't been spending nearly enough time looking for jobs after graduation and it's rapidly approaching. I'm also a dreadfully shitty interviewee and this is something I have failed to prepare for as well. Each time I talk with my dad I make a sudden realization of how under-prepared I am every step of the way and I can tell each time he is perhaps just a bit more mildly disappointed in me.

And to be honest half of me wants to spend the next year or forty flipping burgers and eating left overs out of dumpsters in the alley because at least I will have deserved that.

I just never learned discipline or responsibility and I'm failing at learning it now, and every little thing I do I feel like I am desperately scrambling to keep up with my own absurd obsession with procrastination. I have procrastinated everything. I am behind on life.

Don't worry too much we all are

but of course you will be a failure, the rest of us are luckier than you.

Mom?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Every time I feel like a failure, I think of the people who suck so much more, despite having access to greater resources.

And every time I feel like a success, I think about the people who have done so much and came from nothing.

Works pretty well at keeping me pretty even-keeled.

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

What?

Yeah, yes.

In what way is that any more or less appreciated by animal rights groups than the noggin-hammer?

The bolt bullet or shock are theoretically far more instant then bleeding to death.

Though a large element of it is also from 'yaaay we got some pro-animal welfare passed, oh wait religious groups exerted their religious privilege once again so they get to ignore it' rather then the nitty gritty.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Just had an ECG and blood taken for testing

Not because I am sick, but because the Chinese government demands a bafflingly comprehensive medical report as part of this scholarship application

things they need to double check if I have: leprosy, cerebrospinal meningitis, the plague

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I've had a few interviews recently and I feel like I did quite poorly on all of them. I froze up, couldn't think, couldn't remember the names of libraries or technologies that I've used, etc.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I was surprised to learn that people still die of the plague.

• Options
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I've had a few interviews recently and I feel like I did quite poorly on all of them. I froze up, couldn't think, couldn't remember the names of libraries or technologies that I've used, etc.

Having about 10 over the last few months have helped me tremendously. It really is a practice makes perfect sort of thing.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

Not because I am sick, but because the Chinese government demands a bafflingly comprehensive medical report as part of this scholarship application

things they need to double check if I have: leprosy, cerebrospinal meningitis, the plague

Those are all things that China has to deal with though, so that makes sense. I think we make them prove that they don't have those things either when they come over here.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Every time I feel like a failure, I think of the people who suck so much more, despite having access to greater resources.

And every time I feel like a success, I think about the people who have done so much and came from nothing.

Yeah but I have, like, all of the resources.

I refuse to believe that anyone who has had as much access to the tools of success as I have has ever failed as hard as I have.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »

What?

Yeah, yes.

In what way is that any more or less appreciated by animal rights groups than the noggin-hammer?

The bolt bullet or shock are theoretically far more instant then bleeding to death.

Though a large element of it is also from 'yaaay we got some pro-animal welfare passed, oh wait religious groups exerted their religious privilege once again so they get to ignore it' rather then the nitty gritty.

Oh well yes, the idea of having a special exemption for traditional practice always annoys me, but not enough to actually give a shit when it's animal killing methods.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

I refuse to believe that anyone who has had as much access to the tools of success as I have has ever failed as hard as I have.

GEORGE%20W%20BUSH.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1327391934820

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I don't think "rose to become president" is a failure. Even if he wasn't a good president.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

Those are all things that China has to deal with though, so that makes sense. I think we make them prove that they don't have those things either when they come over here.

There is a box on this form that just says "Spine"

Are they asking if I have one, are they asking if it's normal, are they asking if I would like one as part of my scholarship, who knows

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I do not think this example test paper has the representative difficulty of the real thing.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I don't think "rose to become president" is a failure. Even if he wasn't a good president.

Failing at being a president does count though.

It would be unfair to pin all 20 years of GOP malevolence on him, but his was the ass in the seat when the shit hit the fan.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

There is a box on this form that just says "Spine"

Are they asking if I have one, are they asking if it's normal, are they asking if I would like one as part of my scholarship, who knows

Spines are important.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Hahaha Adventure Time made a religious indoctrination joke!

• Options

Failure Olympics time. Let's play. I have been given full-blast all-expenses-paid scholarships three times, on occasionally rather improbable grounds, and have failed out of the relevant schools four times. I don't mean "failed out of the scholarship", I mean failed out of the school, as in bottom-of-the-cohort, didn't-pass-promotional-criteria failure. Beat that.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012

If it makes you feel any better Hitler was rejected from art school and then became homeless - he was an utter failure but then he was able to make something of himself.

wandering on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

Even child stars, or the privileged children of celebrities? Montana Fishburne?

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

If it makes you feel any better Hitler was rejected from art school and then became homeless - he was an utter failure but then he was able to make something of himself.

You're right, I'm going to follow my one true inspiration: Hitler!
    Years from now, when I run for political office, this post will be dug up from the dregs of the internet and used against me.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    工事中
  • Options

This is a barometer you should not be measuring yourself against, Winky.

• Options
    Also I want to kick whoever defined "selfish" in this question to refer to an economic agent who chooses only decisions that don't make other people better off, even if the decision makes the agent herself better off. This is not an intuitive definition of selfish, of which economics already has plenty! This is "actively malicious"!

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular

That's a good example of one's status completely overshadowing anything done by the person in question.

Bush tanked the economy like it was his goal in life and started a war that was completely unnecessary. He took whatever good will we had in global politics and set it on fire. I don't care if he managed to get elected president, everything he did with it was complete and utter failure.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

C'mon, Hitler. It's not that hard to draw a turtle.

tippy.jpg

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    Also I want to kick whoever defined "selfish" in this question to refer to an economic agent who chooses only decisions that don't make other people better off, even if the decision makes the agent herself better off. This is not an intuitive definition of selfish, of which economics already has plenty! This is "actively malicious"!

Also, a more accurate descriptor of human behavior :P.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    You know how sometimes you start up a game of Tetris and you just half-ass it and then half the screen quickly fills up and then you're like "wait, I don't want to lose, I'm going to try hard now!" but it's too late, even though you try really hard you lose soon afterwards.

Sometimes I think my life is kind of like that!

wandering on
  • Options
    Bottle of wine # 1 has been vanquished.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really wish I wasn't miserable at FPS games so I could enjoy them online.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hm... does anyone else refresh the page, only to wind up on Page 2? o.O

工事中
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You know how sometimes you start up a game of Tetris and you just half-ass it and then half the screen quickly fills up and then you're like "wait, I don't want to lose, I'm going to try hard now!" but it's too late, even though you try really hard you lose soon afterwards.

Sometimes I think my life is kind of like that!

My life has pretty much been like the first part, but then the wild scramble to succeed works every single time because I'm so damn personable.

Which means, ultimately, that I haven't learned a single lesson.

Which I'm fairly sure makes me some sort of psychopath.

Edit: I think I meant sociopath.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Six and a half hours of HIV/AIDs. Paper is outlined, sources are highlighted and bookmarked. I will right tomorrow. I am so fucking sick of HIV right now.

And I have a class on nothing but HIV next quarter.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

C'mon, Hitler. It's not that hard to draw a turtle.

tippy.jpg

How ... how is that turtle wearing that hat? It looks like it's floating mid-air behind his head.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Six and a half hours of HIV/AIDs. Paper is outlined, sources are highlighted and bookmarked. I will right tomorrow. I am so fucking sick of HIV right now.

You know who is sick of HIV?

Africa.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

where are you going

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote: »

You know who is sick of HIV?

Africa.

You know who is clamouring for circumcisions? Africa.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I really wish I wasn't miserable at FPS games so I could enjoy them online.

Play a non competitive FPS game like Borderlands.

• Options
    Checks for TB and meningitis seem common, as are mosquito-transmitted favorites (dengue, malaria, yellow fever, West Nile, etc.), but bubonic plague and leprosy seem a little excessive in this day and age

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.