Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Student Job offers

suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So after a painstaking search for a summer student accounting, I finally got an offer. Its from a nice medium sized company. Theyare offering me 18/hour with a chance to continue the position on a part time basis when i return to school.

Now first off i am going to accept this offer no matter what. I know not to give up an offer unless i have something in writing from another company. Ok so I received a phone call the other day from a company I applied for through a reference, the reference was my wifes aunt who has worked privately for the CEO for 15 years. Its a massive utility company based here in Calgary. They said they have enough positions for all summer applicants and i will be receiving my letter about where i have been placed in the company for summer in early april. So it seems like a sure thing that I will get an offer. The advice I need is about when the second offer comes in should I accept that one and decline the original.

So some information about each company. The first offer is a company which operates and aquires dealerships that sell industrial equipment, agricultural equip and other related stuff. I would be working in a small department with one other person, ive already met the supervisor and she seems quite nice. The company is located quite far from my house. The drive is about 35 minutes. But parking is free.

The second offer is where it gets a little tricky. Its a well known utility company which operates somewhat internationally. I applied through the corporate branch so im not sure where i will end up. Suffice to say if its not in an accounting department i will decline for sure. I have an in through the CEO so getting a job after might be easy but no gaurentees. They have one main building downtown with numerous operations centers throughout the city. My wife actually works for one of the subsidiaries .If I was placed downtown with her I could work in the same building as my wife. We could save on gas having to only take one car. Then again she is a little worried about gossip that i got a job there, she already has a seperate aunt working there so another relative and people might get annoyed. My wife doesnt want me ending up on her floor but the company is so big i think the chances are very slim. As well they probably pay better as they are so much bigger but obviously that isnt knownfor sure yet.

Im leaning towards the company with my wife but not sold on if its the best decision. The smaller company would give me part time and with only one semester remaining i could turn that into a full time thing when I graduate.

Hopefully that all makes sense, my writing isnt the best. I just want to start thinking about this, i dont want to have to make a decision in a few days come april. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts

  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I think the standard thing to do if you have multiple offers and limited time is to inform people of it. That is, call them up, let them know that you may have other offers, and (politely) ask if they can expedite the process.

    My personal opinion is that you've given plenty of reasons not to work for the utility company- your main interest seems to be working with your wife, which you state yourself is unlikely, and she wouldn't even want you there if you were in the same building. You've also listed several reasons to like the smaller company- they're clearly going to be invested in you much more than the utility, what with the part time/full time and the tiny department and having met and liked the supervisor.

  • DeebaserDeebaser Alpha Teemo Fake Board GamerRegistered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I think the standard thing to do if you have multiple offers and limited time is to inform people of it. That is, call them up, let them know that you may have other offers, and (politely) ask if they can expedite the process.

    I strongly disagree. It's none of their beeswax.

  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Do you even know if the first company would match your offer?

    Honestly I would take the first offer for career building reasons, it is easier to move up in a smaller company, at least that is what I have found. You get recognized for your efforts. If you do something well your boss and the head of the company will likely know about it. Larger companies if you do something awesome there is a very good chance the owner of the company will attribute that to your division head who may pass it down, or may not. Smaller companies also tend to be more flexible with benefits and scheduling too, and pay is not always better at larger organizations.

    However on the flip side large organizations give you name recognition, so you may not get promoted or a raise, and they may shit on you, but in 2 years the company name on your resume is more valuable.

    edit: also a good company that is run well with friendly staff is always going to be a better place to work for, in the case of either a small or a large company.

    zepherin on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I think the standard thing to do if you have multiple offers and limited time is to inform people of it. That is, call them up, let them know that you may have other offers, and (politely) ask if they can expedite the process.

    I strongly disagree. It's none of their beeswax.

    Totally true; I'm not saying he informs the first company, just the second. You're letting them know you're a highly desirable prospect who already has offers.
    - If they're the sort of company that just churns through employees and isn't flexible at all to your needs, then they'll immediately turn you down- fine, you didn't want to work there anyway.
    - If they let you know they're definitely still interested but unfortunately can't adjust the schedule on their hiring process, you lost nothing in trying.
    - If they say yes, sure, we can get back to you by Tuesday, you have also lost nothing and have learned they are willing to work with you.

    Smaller companies will appreciate knowing what's up, and you have a decent shot of getting your response quicker since there may only be a 2-3-person chain of HR to work with.
    My understanding is that this is still a sound idea for larger companies, on the basis that it is often easier to shove some paperwork through faster than usual than it is to go through the interview process again.

Sign In or Register to comment.