As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    khain wrote: »
    Anyone that you can win mid with and has some combination of benefiting from farm and being able to gank.

yeah you want that ranged mid semi-carry usually. I like QOP for that role.

Tiny if you're good with him used to be able to take over games too.

valiance on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    My impression of Dota 2 solo-q is the same as the one I've got for LoL. While I've not played that much Dota yet, I've played a ton of LoL solo-q and I think the team-mate experience is very, very similar across the two games.

When I click play to go into it solo it's never, ever my goal to win the game. To try and achieve that goal is an excercise in frustration that's best avoided. I click the 'play' button with the goal of playing a perfect game, for myself. I don't care if my team-mate is going Scepter on Faceless Void because 'stats hurr durr' (I've not actually seen anyone do this, was just trying to think of an example of extreme retardation), as long as I've done my best to fulfill my own role within the game. As long as I've tried to do my best in a game, I can live with it. Sometimes things will click and you win, sometimes the other guy will be better than you and you lose. Shit happens.

This is the philosophy I try to use when doing solo-q, but I still sometimes crave that win with a passion.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In solo-q I like to play semi-carries or anti-carries that can roam from the side lane to gank. You get to help your team in a very effective way, but scale well if the game goes on late. Usually these are heroes with good early game stuns/snares.

For me these are:
    Sven
    Slardar
    Brewmaster
    Leshrac
    Skeleton King

Skeleton King isn't a good a ganker as the rest of them because his stun isn't aoe and it's relatively low dmg at low lvls. But what I like about him is that he can jungle, and nothing the solo side lane player loves more than a jungler who can sneak in and throw down a nuke/stun at a crucial moment.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    You should give Dragon Knight a try. He's more farm focused than ganking, but he makes ganks on his lane super easy with his big level 1 stun and surprise ranged stun at 6.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I have tried him, he's not a semi-carry he's a full on carry. And his stun is only melee range without ult and it does barely any damage, so even if you land a stun you're dependent on others to actually kill the guy. He's just kind of a sad little farmer early on, I don't like him.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Does Kunkka get health from his cleave damage with lifesteal?

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I think the general rule is no cleave gives you life steal.
    The splash damage Dragon Knight deals with Dragon Form an exception to the rule.

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    I have tried him, he's not a semi-carry he's a full on carry. And his stun is only melee range without ult and it does barely any damage, so even if you land a stun you're dependent on others to actually kill the guy. He's just kind of a sad little farmer early on, I don't like him.

His stun doesn't do much damage, but his nuke does. Once he gets a Soul Ring he can harass most people out of the lane while he lives there forever with his regen.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    To whoever said random draft had better players in it:

No it doesn't, The same brand of vileness that permeate all pick is present in there.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Kunkka only leeches from the initial attack, the splash is all extra.

The strength of cleave is that it does pure damage based on the initial attack, so it's always best to attack the target with the lowest armour. It's the same with Lanaya's attack spill. And if Kunkka manages to hit an illusion the extra damage carries over as well, so hitting an illusion that takes 300% extra damage means that all of the splash will be pure damage based on 300% of his initial attack.

Also, Kunkka is dumb.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »

Kunkka only leech from the initial attack, the splash is all extra.

The best part of cleave is that it does pure damage based on the initial attack, which its always best to attack the target with the lowest armour. It's the same with Lanaya's attack spill. And if Kunkka manages to hit an illusion the extra damage carries over as well, so hitting an illusion that takes 300% extra damage means that all of the splash will be pure damage based on 300% of his initial attack.

Also, Kunkka is dumb.

So don't ever use manta style next to Kunkka, got it.

• Options
    I'm glad I learned that before phantom lancer drops.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dac Vin wrote: »

No it doesn't, The same brand of vileness that permeate all pick is present in there.
    random draft players 'try harder' usually - which means you can get shafted because the enemy team drafts well and your team first picks axe, everyone picks carry, people pick multiple junglers or whatever.

but the actual players are just going to be the same skill level as ap - not like the matchmaking gives you 'better' players, but perhaps more 'serious' players.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Any tips for playing Tiny, guys? I like the look of him and want to try him out. As far as I understand it the combo is Avalanche-->Toss them back into the Avalanche area? And he's a good solo mid because he needs levels, and his order of items is something like boots of speed-->arcane boots-->blink dagger and then situational stuff, like BKB or aghanim's?

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »

random draft players 'try harder' usually - which means you can get shafted because the enemy team drafts well and your team first picks axe, everyone picks carry, people pick multiple junglers or whatever.

but the actual players are just going to be the same skill level as ap - not like the matchmaking gives you 'better' players, but perhaps more 'serious' players.

It's cool really, I got better. Turns out a game where you have a guy dcing at start and then watching the enemy implode and ragequit one after the other is the perfect cure for mad.

Although, I'm not sure I get Lich's ult. Can'T get a good ult off with him, everytime I try it just bounces twice then decides to fuck off to a far away creep that just strayed in its area to die. And of course the enemy isn't dumb enough to stick together and do some pro split when I fire so welp

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Any tips for playing Tiny, guys? I like the look of him and want to try him out. As far as I understand it the combo is Avalanche-->Toss them back into the Avalanche area? And he's a good solo mid because he needs levels, and his order of items is something like boots of speed-->arcane boots-->blink dagger and then situational stuff, like BKB or aghanim's?

My starting with Tiny is 2 mana pots, 2 stacks of tangos and 2 mantles (I'm almost always comboing with someone though). Grab Energy booster, then boots to make your mana boots, then go for blink/agh/ac/whathaveyou.Sell your mantles or finish off nulls if needed somewhere in there.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    C'mon test client, update already!

I want to test my phantom lancing, dammit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My optimism tells me we'll see a double phantom update with Phantom Lander and Phantom Assassin, but my optimism is always wrong.

• Options
    That's not optimism! Those are pubstomp heroes beyond even the levels of Ursa and AM.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The strength of cleave is that it does pure damage based on the initial attack, so it's always best to attack the target with the lowest armour. It's the same with Lanaya's attack spill. And if Kunkka manages to hit an illusion the extra damage carries over as well, so hitting an illusion that takes 300% extra damage means that all of the splash will be pure damage based on 300% of his initial attack.

Also, Kunkka is dumb.

Are you sure about Kunkka's splash interacting with lowered armor like that? I just tested it. Got around 150 damage on Kunkka, grabbed a medallion of courage, and tried it out on a creep wave. I did the same damage to splashed targets whether my primary target was debuffed with medallion or not.

Edit: pretty sure it doesn't work that way with illusions either. I just did another test, Kunkka and Dark Seer. Had Dark Seer leveled to six for his ult, had medallion on courage on Kunkka, bringing Dark Seer's armor down to 1. Tested a couple times just hitting Dark Seer with the medallion debuff. Did 120 damage. Tested again by having Dark Seer put up the wall, making a Kunkka illusion, using medallion on Dark Seer, and then hitting the illusion, splashing onto Dark Seer. Once again, 120 damage to Dark Seer.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    That's not optimism! Those are pubstomp heroes beyond even the levels of Ursa and AM.

I am the pubstomp

shyamalan.tiff

(Mortred will make me rage considering my eyes are on the minimap more than they are on the game itself, but that's why I shall play her and crit like fuck)

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    No new hero :(
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/7830/

EDIT: Says there's a new HUD, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I dread the day Mortred gets added.

Also: (spoilered for hugeness)
    KnbWl.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Also, Kunkka is dumb.

Are you sure about Kunkka's splash interacting with lowered armor like that? I just tested it. Got around 150 damage on Kunkka, grabbed a medallion of courage, and tried it out on a creep wave. I did the same damage to splashed targets whether my primary target was debuffed with medallion or not.

Edit: pretty sure it doesn't work that way with illusions either. I just did another test, Kunkka and Dark Seer. Had Dark Seer leveled to six for his ult, had medallion on courage on Kunkka, bringing Dark Seer's armor down to 1. Tested a couple times just hitting Dark Seer with the medallion debuff. Did 120 damage. Tested again by having Dark Seer put up the wall, making a Kunkka illusion, using medallion on Dark Seer, and then hitting the illusion, splashing onto Dark Seer. Once again, 120 damage to Dark Seer.

Hmm. Looks like I got it confused with cleave stacking and Lanaya's splash, which works completely differently.

Cleave is, in fact, based on a hero's damage vs that given armour type, not the actual damage they do. So a cleave attack that hits a weaker target will not do more damage than the actual attack can do. But cleave instances still stack independently, which means that each source of cleave is its own damage instance. Which is why the best pub Kunkka build is 5 battlefuries and a rapier.

Lanaya, on the other hand, does line splash based solely on the actual damage that attack does. So if Lanaya hits an illusion the attack will be amplified by the damage the illusion takes.

This is why I fail at dota!

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hmm, think I preferred the old layout for the stats table (where your armor, AD, agi, int, str etc is shown) but everything on the right side looks nice.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    I'm still kind of annoyed that they're hiding that actual damage ranges. That stuff is more important when heroes like Chaos Knight get added.

And I wonder if they'll actually fix Lanaya's splash in dota 2. I believe it's hard coded in wc3 and for that it's actually really buggy--the coding makes it so the next Lanaya does after initiating her attack will line splash as pure, but that doesn't have to actually be her attack. It's possible to attack a target then immediately dagon, and since item's are instant cast the dagon will hit first and that will splash instead of her attack. This has been a known bug in wc3 since forever and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to fix, but also so pointless and almost useless that nobody really cares. (Same with her being able to purge illusions for instant kills).

stream
  • Options
    I knew I wasn't crazy! Because I actually play Lanaya and never play Kunkka, so I know about the illusion splash and just assumed it worked the same. And I know I've seen Lanaya's illusion splash before in videos.

You can see it twice in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jtNtBrUPlI

stream
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Having a glyph of fortification that isn't super small and the courier area are nice. Should hopefully result in the courier being stolen accidentally less often.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Also, Kunkka is dumb.

Hmm. Looks like I got it confused with cleave stacking and Lanaya's splash, which works completely differently.

Cleave is, in fact, based on a hero's damage vs that given armour type, not the actual damage they do. So a cleave attack that hits a weaker target will not do more damage than the actual attack can do. But cleave instances still stack independently, which means that each source of cleave is its own damage instance. Which is why the best pub Kunkka build is 5 battlefuries and a rapier.

Lanaya, on the other hand, does line splash based solely on the actual damage that attack does. So if Lanaya hits an illusion the attack will be amplified by the damage the illusion takes.

This is why I fail at dota!

That makes sense. Kunkka's splash being amped up by illusions would be nuts. I didn't play Dota1, so I'm not familiar with Lanaya, but it sounds like she could have a lot of fun with that as well.

• Options
    Bottom right now has a courier thing that shows who the courier is moving towards. I approve of this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also I like this

AUDIO
    -Some heroes will now call out to allies they encounter in the field during the early phases of a game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The new item icons are fugly, but I like the new HUD.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I didn't like the dota 2 items to begin with, and I really don't like the new ones. But Icefrog says they're still works in progress, so there will be plenty of feedback about how awful they look.

However!
    - Fixed bug that would sometimes cause move commands or abilities to execute at odd times.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    The new item icons are fugly, but I like the new HUD.

I disagree, think they look great. Couple still need work, but they said theyre doing passes on them over the next few weeks, so they'll get better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That smudgy art style reminds me of the fan made portraits for the infinity engine games. It just reeks of cheapness.

• Options
    Yeah, I really like the new icons as well. Though I didn't mind the old ones either. New UI overall looks great, in my opinion.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    New Basilius looks like it'll be easier to tell if the aura's on or not, which is nice.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I'll probably always like the wc3 dota icons and items more. Oh well.

stream
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Dagon and Necro get progressively better/more badass looking with each level. Makes it easier to tell what level someone has at a glance now, so thats nice.

No new hero this week, so I guess I'll just quote Axe some more for the title change.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well hello awesome looking PL

vkCM8.png

Edit: Hey there Lion, how's itOH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE
    6261A0DCF55C3A666CAC740C967C1F2EA66044C5

Skab on
    steam_sig.png