As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Operation Raptor is Over! Kwoaru lusts for Batarians on page 101

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Melee in this game is pretty broken. I mean the vacuum thing stinks but you can do it too. If youre a krogan and heavy melee the enemy that was 'highlighted' will stand still. A nemisis (who scurry around like no other) will stand still once my krogan has melee initiated on it. All around, the melee is super wonky. Not a big fan.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    moocow wrote: »
    Also, by doing this, you get the Avenger X, which is the "best" caster weapon in the game.
    Ah, yes. "Opinions."

lolno. You're just gonna stand there out of cover holding down autofire on your adept?

Yeah, that's exactly what I do. I don't even use my powers, I just like having 200% recharge with my Avenger X for no reason. Clearly what you've said is exactly how I play and not a fucking retarded strawman at all.

But I guess that throwing out powers is all a caster-type like adept or engineer should ever do, and there is no situation in which you can unload half a clip into someone's head to finish them off or to keep some pressure on while your cooldown finishes.
    I hope Dich, speed, rmed, melding and all the other people I play with online don't find out that I'm actually super terrible at this and I've just let them carry me to my 444 N7 rating.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also, by doing this, you get the Avenger X, which is the "best" caster weapon in the game.
    Ah, yes. "Opinions."

lolno. You're just gonna stand there out of cover holding down autofire on your adept?

Yeah, that's exactly what I do. I don't even use my powers, I just like having 200% recharge with my Avenger X for no reason. Clearly what you've said is exactly how I play and not a fucking retarded strawman at all.

But I guess that throwing out powers is all a caster-type like adept or engineer should ever do, and there is no situation in which you can unload half a clip into someone's head to finish them off or to keep some pressure on while your cooldown finishes.
    I hope Dich, speed, rmed, melding and all the other people I play with online don't find out that I'm actually super terrible at this and I've just let them carry me to my 444 N7 rating.

we already know

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Melee in this game is pretty broken. I mean the vacuum thing stinks but you can do it too. If youre a krogan and heavy melee the enemy that was 'highlighted' will stand still. A nemisis (who scurry around like no other) will stand still once my krogan has melee initiated on it. All around, the melee is super wonky. Not a big fan.

so

you would rather the game be less forgiving and more frustrating?

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    No, I was pointing out that the 'vacuum' effect works both ways, thankfully. I just wish that the game could use a less immersion breaking function to facilitate melee combat.

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Ah, yes. "Opinions."

Gotta be some nerve I hit there.

My point was the Avenger underperforms at headshotting, which reduce the value of stasis bubble. If you're opening up on a guy in stasis you're probably going to cause him to fall over, which makes it harder for your team to kill him without autolocking abilities. If you're opening up on something out of stasis, you're reducing the likelihood of popping your biotic explosion.

I can see an argument for an AR versus reapers, since the odds of remaining in cover against them are pretty low. But that's a far cry from 'best' weapon for a caster.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    people use stasis bubble on things that aren't phantoms?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

Works pretty well with a scoped carnifex or paladin.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Man here's your problem: You're dodge rolling in the first place

Why aren't you playing turian or, in a pinch, krogan?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I like to stasis trash mobs when a lot of them are coming around a corner. easy to catch at least three without even trying

then detonate or let a vanguard detonate while I get the points for it

Joolander on
  • Options
    surprisingly, there are kinds of adepts that do not have stasis

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Works pretty well with a scoped carnifex or paladin.

Yes, but, while you're doing that you're not killing everything else in the immediate area with biotic warp explosions.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    surprisingly, there are kinds of adepts that do not have stasis

surely, you must be joking

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    I think the idea is to never use the Quarian Infiltrator against anything but Geth

You'd be wrong, because sabotage is also useful on cerberus. it (very) momentarily stuns those dudes, and takes over their techy stuff

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    No, I was pointing out that the 'vacuum' effect works both ways, thankfully. I just wish that the game could use a less immersion breaking function to facilitate melee combat.

the heavy melee is basically a "power" with no cooldown, it makes sense that it works that way

the fact that it goes both ways doesn't really mean anything. think about back in ME1, when enemies could use biotics against you and caused you to fall over motionless for a few seconds. That was fair because they could do something similar to you that you could do to them, and really it was still balanced in your favor since they couldn't say, hurl you over a guardrail or blast you into space, but it was still bullshit and not fun.

• Options
    I think the idea is to never use the Quarian Infiltrator against anything but Geth

You'd be wrong, because sabotage is also useful on cerberus. it (very) momentarily stuns those dudes, and takes over their techy stuff

Yeah, I mean on paper it can sound kinda lame - what, you level up one power and it's only useful against one enemy type + turrets?

But goddamn, turrets can screw you soooo hard, having a one-shot power that cancels them out AND often takes out their engineer? Totally worth it.

Also there's still the "take +100% tech damage" at rank 6, which iirc applies to anyone you use sabotage on, so that ain't bad.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    huh

that talon buff yesterday was bigger than I thought

it's now stronger than the eviscerator

same weight

1 extra shot

faster fire rate

daaaaaaaang

gimme

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Krogan Melee seems pretty broken

I guess

but really, I don't care that much

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    drell adept is the best adept

all other adepts can just go to the sea

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Krogan Adept

Barrier
    Slam
    Cluster Grenade

Joolander on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Krogan Melee seems pretty broken

I guess

but really, I don't care that much

Krogan melee is not broken.

Krogan melee is accurate.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    More importantly, Krogan melee is hilarious. People go flying.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I find banshees have an even longer bullshit range on their one hit kill than phantoms do

sliding across a room desperately pressing buttons to no avail

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Krogan melee is the best power in the game.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Oh lord, it's the "Why you mad bro? I wasn't saying anything stupid as fuck" move. We're going by the basic internet argument playbook, I guess.

Avenger X with extended barrel and armor piercing mods (not ammo) kicks out good damage against any defense type, and amazing damage against armor. Alternatives that keep you at 200% recharge bonus are pistols and SMGs, which sacrifice doing good damage against shields/barriers to do good damage against armor, and vice versa.

As to "underperforms at headshotting", that has not been my experience. I aim at their head area, and some might hit their upper chest/shoulders, but most hit their head. Especially on the Turian Sentinel, since for turians, the Avenger has about as must spread as a Phaeston in human hands.

Also, while Asari Adept is my favorite adept, I generally use stasis in emergency "oh god someone's about to die better save them" situations (that someone may often be me), or on stupid jerks like phantoms who like to flip around and block everyone else's attacks. I prefer Warp as my combo starter, since it gets the extra 15% damage debuff on there, and doesn't block the explosion target and friends from taking extra kinetic damage from bouncing around, which can usually be pretty dang massive.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I keep missing with krogan melee.

Charge toward a dude, they sidestep at the last second/duck behind a corner/get hit by someone else's ability, and I'm left unsatisfied.

:( The worst krogan

• Options
    oh my god i want a talon now

it seems perfect

literally perfect

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    oh my god i want a talon now

it seems perfect

literally perfect

I want one so bad

• Options
    If Wrex were a pistol, he'd be a Talon

• Options
    Yeah, when you miss with the krogan melee you definitely feel it due to the little run it has. Unlike other melees a missed Krogan one can put you behind an enemy more easily.

• Options
    i mean god damn it even benefits from the passive weight bonuses of all the vanguard classes

• Options
    The avenger isn't great at anything, but it's not bad at anything either.

And when all you want is for your gun to be a useful fallback, that can be pretty great. It's lightweight, it can take down shields, armor, or health, it's accurate enough to fight from range or fast-firing enough to be used close up.

Sure, at any of those particular things there's better options, but they're often not as good at others, or they weigh a lot more. With the avenger you ALWAYS have an option if you can't use your powers (and 200% recharge)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It just seems that Krogan Melee is basically you are within short range now you are dead

and they are durable as fuck so they can get there

does seem somewhat unbalanced

but I mean we are all on the same team so who cares, really

It's not like they are Vanguards

who are actively annoying and often detrimental

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh lord, it's the "Why you mad bro? I wasn't saying anything stupid as fuck" move. We're going by the basic internet argument playbook, I guess.

Avenger X with extended barrel and armor piercing mods (not ammo) kicks out good damage against any defense type, and amazing damage against armor. Alternatives that keep you at 200% recharge bonus are pistols and SMGs, which sacrifice doing good damage against shields/barriers to do good damage against armor, and vice versa.

Actually, weapons don't work that way anymore. Weapons don't have damage modifiers against shields anymore, and armor is now a flat damage reduction against each bullet.

This means that, in general, rapid fire weapons are terrible against armor, and slower, heavier hitting weapons do much better. It also means that the armor piercing mod is pretty much necessary on ARs.

The only advantage rapid fire weapons have is that shield bleedthrough doesn't matter to them.

Avenger X is one of the best light weapons though. I have a hard time deciding on whether to go Mattock/Predator or Avenger/Carnifex.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    on the other hand, if you miss with krogan melee, a lot of times the enemy's melee will also miss, because you moved.

It just takes practice, since it acts differently than any of the other melees

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Solar wrote: »
    It just seems that Krogan Melee is basically you are within short range now you are dead

and they are durable as fuck so they can get there

does seem somewhat unbalanced

but I mean we are all on the same team so who cares, really

It's not like they are Vanguards

who are actively annoying and often detrimental

Nah, krogan melee can definitely fuck you over if you don't pay it due deference.

See: Running headlong into a room full of Assault Troopers and Centurions.

Also: Vanguards are great.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Krogan Vanguard

Barrier
    Warp
    Carnage

• Options
    the talon is so great

I wasn't even looking for it to get buffed but then hey they did

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, by level 16 with a krogan solider I was feeing fiiine. I was consistently first place. Except for the room I joined with three infiltrators with three widows. But I didn't complain. I could sit back and make easy money while they did all the work. Got five games out of that cash cow of a room.

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Krogan Vanguard

Charge

[IMG][/img]
This discussion has been closed.