As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, WoW's stable at 10.2 million subs.

And druids may be getting some armor in cat form.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time leveling this priest as shadow spec. I feel misled by all the talk of 'ease' of leveling with it.
    I...what?

With the exception of healing specs, I find it hard to describe leveling any spec in the game as anything but easy.

Yup. I find Shadow to be one of those boring specs like Affliction where when questing I have full health and mana after every pull. Hello, drama, challenge, difficulty, anybody ?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have played 11 priests and deleted most of them because I just found it unrewarding to play shadow or heal. I broke down stayed on my draenei female priest due to my brother and a freind of his guilt tripping me over the fact I would play a priest to 30ish and then delete them

I created a blood elf priest to double box with but then my computer blew up so I had to level the warlock priest duo at different times

Affliction back in vanilla was either you are leaving the fight with full heath or full mana not both

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time leveling this priest as shadow spec. I feel misled by all the talk of 'ease' of leveling with it.
    I...what?

With the exception of healing specs, I find it hard to describe leveling any spec in the game as anything but easy.

Yup. I find Shadow to be one of those boring specs like Affliction where when questing I have full health and mana after every pull. Hello, drama, challenge, difficulty, anybody ?

What specifically is happening Henroid? What level are you? Are you not using Heirloom Gear? Are you not keeping up with gear?

You should be able to kill at least 3 mobs at a time. Vampiric Embrace, SW:P and Devouring Plague should be enough to kill 1 mob by itself, VE+SW:P on another mob, VE+SW:P on a third + Mind flay it a couple times, then Mind Blast the second mob. Collect Loot, flash heal if you need to, kill three more.

gotta push yourself to the limit. PA-KOW

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    A hacked character would be naked or untouched, I think.

It is weird that this character profile is active despite nearly a year of inactivity.

If you look at the recent activity section, you can see that the character was out there and doing stuff in like August of last year - that wasn't me, lol. I have had issues with my account being compromised repeatedly since I stopped. Every few months, my Battle.Net account gets frozen, or I get an email from Blizzard indicating that my WoW account's been banned, and I have to email support and explain that it's not me. I've explained that I never intend to return to WoW, and that it would be nice if they could just permanently freeze or disable the account, so I don't have to keep dealing with it, but they won't. :(

Anyway, that's probably why he still shows up in the Armory.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I...what?

Even back in Vanilla, I remember messing around on a friend's shadow priest at a lan party. I had never played a priest beyond level 10 before that, it was remarkably easy and fun to pick up.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    One of the guys in my guild stopped playing sometime around June 2011. Then last week, one of his characters logs on. I always used to chat to him, so I say "Hi, long time no see" but get no reply, which subsequently sets off alarm bells.

So I go to the guild bank and keep a track on the log. I then ask how he is doing and he says "fine" and just leaves it at that. I know things aren't right, and I see his character take two glyph books out of the guild bank. I asked him another question and he logged off, at which point I demoted all his characters so they couldn't even get access to the guild bank.

The next day, his character isn't in the guild anymore, so I do a quick armoury check and see that his character is now naked, but on another server (a bit strange), but whoever is controlling him, went off and did some holiday quests to get pets, as well as do some TB's (what was the point in that?).

To top it off, I got in contact with the guy to say what had happened to his character, and he said he has since gotten a new computer which doesn't even have WoW installed, so quite why it got hacked in the first place I've no idea either.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    I...what?

What specifically is happening Henroid? What level are you? Are you not using Heirloom Gear? Are you not keeping up with gear?

You should be able to kill at least 3 mobs at a time. Vampiric Embrace, SW:P and Devouring Plague should be enough to kill 1 mob by itself, VE+SW:P on another mob, VE+SW:P on a third + Mind flay it a couple times, then Mind Blast the second mob. Collect Loot, flash heal if you need to, kill three more.

gotta push yourself to the limit. PA-KOW

It's too mana heavy for my liking. If I engage more than one mob at a time, I end up burning through mana really fast.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up for those who may not know: if you have access to the MoP beta, you can create a level 85 character instantly from the Character Select screen. Any race, any class, loaded with all 378 gear. No needing to log in to your account and create/push a premade and wait. It's a great way to try out a class that you've never played but may have been curious about. It's a beta of course, so there will be bugs to deal with here and there, but overall it's a really cool experience. I made a priest and shaman and messed around with them a while, it was nice. Also the spellbook has (for most classes/specs, not all) a basic rotation information page in it that tells you what to press and when.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    wow, nice. I'll try this tonight.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just started a priest the other day. Unfortunately I don't have any heirlooms on it, but so far I've found questing to be really easy. Once I hit lv10 I was just hitting one target with Shadow Word Pain and Mind Flaying until it died. Now that I have some decent gear at lv17 I can simply Mind Blast and then Mind Flay and it's dead before it gets to me.

The only real problem is I can't keep up with folks in random dungeons because they're all decked out in heirloom gear.

edit: I had a conversation(more like argument) with a guildie about how boring shadow spec is. To which I said, almost all specs are boring right at lv10. Once you get to about lv20 you start getting more of your core abilities. Yeah, shadow can be a little boring at first. But it's pretty damn awesome once it picks up... at lv30 or so. >.>

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just started a priest the other day. Unfortunately I don't have any heirlooms on it, but so far I've found questing to be really easy. Once I hit lv10 I was just hitting one target with Shadow Word Pain and Mind Flaying until it died. Now that I have some decent gear at lv17 I can simply Mind Blast and then Mind Flay and it's dead before it gets to me.

The only real problem is I can't keep up with folks in random dungeons because they're all decked out in heirloom gear.

edit: I had a conversation(more like argument) with a guildie about how boring shadow spec is. To which I said, almost all specs are boring right at lv10. Once you get to about lv20 you start getting more of your core abilities. Yeah, shadow can be a little boring at first. But it's pretty damn awesome once it picks up... at lv30 or so. >.>

Mind Blast + repeatedly Mind Flay has been my strategy so far, and for the moment until I get Shadowform I added Holyfire as my opening cast because really immediately knocking off HP is better than draining it while the enemy is already coming at you. Still, the moment things get dicey, I can get out of it, but my mana is just fucking gone. I use to think warlocks were my least favorite class and it's quickly turning around to be that priests are. I just cannot stand the pace of play, ever since vanilla. Highest level priest I've had was level 32ish, and this new one is already getting up to that point.

• Options

Mind Blast + repeatedly Mind Flay has been my strategy so far, and for the moment until I get Shadowform I added Holyfire as my opening cast because really immediately knocking off HP is better than draining it while the enemy is already coming at you. Still, the moment things get dicey, I can get out of it, but my mana is just fucking gone. I use to think warlocks were my least favorite class and it's quickly turning around to be that priests are. I just cannot stand the pace of play, ever since vanilla. Highest level priest I've had was level 32ish, and this new one is already getting up to that point.

That's the basic plan of attack until you get Devouring Plague. Talent for it to do 30% instant damage and it's basically the same thing, but instant cast. Leveling as shadow as always been slow to start, which kind of sucks. And I run into the same mana issues. Shadow Word Pain at my level costs too much to spread around. So if I'm pulling extra mobs it can't be more than 2 or 3. That's why I have to stick to single target killing for now. Once you get Shadowform things get so much easier.

But I understand your dislike for priests. I keep hearing people recommend Discipline for leveling but that just sounds crazy to me.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options

That's the basic plan of attack until you get Devouring Plague. Talent for it to do 30% instant damage and it's basically the same thing, but instant cast. Leveling as shadow as always been slow to start, which kind of sucks. And I run into the same mana issues. Shadow Word Pain at my level costs too much to spread around. So if I'm pulling extra mobs it can't be more than 2 or 3. That's why I have to stick to single target killing for now. Once you get Shadowform things get so much easier.

But I understand your dislike for priests. I keep hearing people recommend Discipline for leveling but that just sounds crazy to me.

It doesn't sound crazy to me, incidentally. A lot of the talents make more sense, or seem to have more of an impact, when it comes to leveling. Though, in the later part of the tree, it starts to focus on healing and my mind goes fuzzy and I figure buuuuuuhhhhh shadow spec.

• Options
    It doesn't sound crazy to me, incidentally. A lot of the talents make more sense, or seem to have more of an impact, when it comes to leveling. Though, in the later part of the tree, it starts to focus on healing and my mind goes fuzzy and I figure buuuuuuhhhhh shadow spec.

I think it's an awesome healing spec. It made healing heroics in LK a breeze. One of my guildies, who I mentioned earlier, suggested that I just spec Disc and level entirely on randoms. That's so damn boring to me. Even more boring than boring low level shadow spec.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I hate doing dungeons to level. Aside from people being unreliable, I level faster outside of them, and the rewards come and go. I reserve all group play for the end-game. And my "RP" encounters. :winky:

Edit - But I agree that disc. seems like the healing spec I'd choose. I've never done the healing role in this game, and the way it appears to work seems like the perfect training wheels.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I like to mix in dungeons to break the repetitiveness of questing. Some of the gear from dungeons is really good, and the stuff from the loot bags can help fill in the gaps.

More often I run into massive idiots who have no business in dungeons. Like the ret paladin tank who's wearing leather. Nope. That is not acceptable. Good day.

• Options
    I like to mix in dungeons to break the repetitiveness of questing. Some of the gear from dungeons is really good, and the stuff from the loot bags can help fill in the gaps.

More often I run into massive idiots who have no business in dungeons. Like the ret paladin tank who's wearing leather. Nope. That is not acceptable. Good day.

People still do that? o.o

• Options
    Once I hit lv16 I queued for a random dungeon, get Deadmines, and the "tank" was a lv17 ret paladin, with no heirlooms, two hand mace, leather gear, saying things like "i got this" and "tankin is easy". We ended up kicking him because he was needing every item that dropped including a cape of the whale. The person who initiated the kick gave the best reason too, "asshole dick".

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    That is an awesome reason. In my experience people almost never put anything, let alone anything good, in the votekick reason box. If anything, usually it's just "afk" or something.

• Options
    Is not having heirlooms an actual bad thing that can get you booted from a group? Because I don't have a single one.

• Options
    No, most people won't boot for you not wearing heirlooms. In that run only one person had them and it was a hunter. As long as things are dying I don't think people really care at all.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Oh and it looks like reputation will not be account-wide.

Gonna have to grind out Exalted for those shoulder enchants on all characters. But it sounds like they're gonna make it a bit easier, maybe?

Also, the point about not wanting to play character B because A has better gear? Well, if playing B means grinding the rep to get that gear, then yeah, I'd rather play A. I think they got that example wrong.
    Account-Wide Reputation
    We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

For all intents and purposes, assume that the game doesn't really understand the concept of a WoW license. The account-level achievement system will all be based on the Battle.net account and not each individual WoW license attached to it.

Will this affect reputations associated with mounts?
    The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

But again, the simple answer is we’re not sure yet. I left out your question about reputation-based titles because we don't have an answer as of yet. I guess you could say that also falls within the "we're not sure" category at this stage.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Low level dungeons are the best. 2 competent anythings can clear them. Seriously, tank and a caster that has healing spells on their bars, or just 2 dps with heirlooms? You're golden. Anything above that is just overkill, you can clear dungeons your level in about the same amount of time it takes to do a couple kill quests and you'll get way better xp and loot.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I never bother with dungeons while levelling unless my character can tank. I've had one bad pug in about a year and that was a guy deliberately trying to wipe us in UBRS.

815165 on
  • Options
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Low level dungeons are the best. 2 competent anythings can clear them. Seriously, tank and a caster that has healing spells on their bars, or just 2 dps with heirlooms? You're golden. Anything above that is just overkill, you can clear dungeons your level in about the same amount of time it takes to do a couple kill quests and you'll get way better xp and loot.

Never been my experience. When you can clear out a level in solo play in a half hour, hour tops, you're doing damn well without having dungeons in your leveling scheme. But I mean, I'm not here to say people are wrong for sticking with what works for them. I'm only making a case for myself and what works for me. I still see people gripe about leveling solo being slow, and it turns out they run out and do a single quest (despite having multiple quests in that one particular area) and turn the quest in, then back to do one more, rinse, repeat. Not sure why it's hard to pick up on the idea of heading out, doing a bunch of quests all at once, return to the hub to turn them in, then pick up the next batch to repeat.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Is not having heirlooms an actual bad thing that can get you booted from a group? Because I don't have a single one.

I have seen tanks get kicked for it before, so I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, but it's definitely a votekick thing.

• Options
    I still see people gripe about leveling solo being slow, and it turns out they run out and do a single quest (despite having multiple quests in that one particular area) and turn the quest in, then back to do one more, rinse, repeat. Not sure why it's hard to pick up on the idea of heading out, doing a bunch of quests all at once, return to the hub to turn them in, then pick up the next batch to repeat.

I had a friend who tried to play WoW, did that, thought that was the whole game and that it was awful and quit after about a day. I tried to explain there was a lot more to it than that, and there was a better way to quest, but he wouldn't have it. :(

• Options
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I still see people gripe about leveling solo being slow, and it turns out they run out and do a single quest (despite having multiple quests in that one particular area) and turn the quest in, then back to do one more, rinse, repeat. Not sure why it's hard to pick up on the idea of heading out, doing a bunch of quests all at once, return to the hub to turn them in, then pick up the next batch to repeat.

I had a friend who tried to play WoW, did that, thought that was the whole game and that it was awful and quit after about a day. I tried to explain there was a lot more to it than that, and there was a better way to quest, but he wouldn't have it. :(

It's really hard to sell people on a game when they are literally playing it wrong. <.<

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

I have seen tanks get kicked for it before, so I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, but it's definitely a votekick thing.

Well, you winning a need roll against someone else is also a votekick thing, so basically I'm taking this to mean, "Yeah people are hypersensitive babies about how other people play the game."

• Options

Well, you winning a need roll against someone else is also a votekick thing, so basically I'm taking this to mean, "Yeah people are hypersensitive babies about how other people play the game."

So nothing new in terms of the WoW playerbase.

• Options

"come heal SM plz"

hahaha no. *runs around Hinterlands having the time of his life*

• Options

"come heal SM plz"

Haha, I still get tells like that. "Tank heroics for me", says a random person I've never talked to before. So I typically reply, "If you would have asked nicely I might have considered it."

Then they usually go "plz?" Now it's a definite no.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

"come heal SM plz"

Haha, I still get tells like that. "Tank heroics for me", says a random person I've never talked to before. So I typically reply, "If you would have asked nicely I might have considered it."

Then they usually go "plz?" Now it's a definite no.

That's why when I'm just idling in Org for whatever reason, I'm doing it in my ret gear and spec :P

• Options
    It doesn't even matter for me. They see paladin and think this guy is a tank!. Truly frustrating.

• Options
    It doesn't even matter for me. They see paladin and think this guy is a tank!. Truly frustrating.

It really burns people's asses when they ask my shaman to heal and I point out I'm enhancement spec primarily, and they say to switch to my secondary spec and I go "You mean elemental?"

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    For all intents and purposes, assume that the game doesn't really understand the concept of a WoW license. The account-level achievement system will all be based on the Battle.net account and not each individual WoW license attached to it.
    Hooray!

Having leveled four Priests, Shadow now is just inefficient compared to Disc until you get to Cata mobs; they have enough health to make a DoT rotation worth it. If you're already around the low 30's, perfect, you can spec archangel/atonement. Your rotation ends up pretty bland, Holy Fire on cooldown and Smite spam while letting things punch you in the face (Atonement is healing you), but by dropping out PW: S and SW: P you'll have way fewer mana issues. Pop AA between packs or whenever the buff might fall off for a bunch of mana.

Plus doing 40% of the group's damage with Smite is pretty fun, and relatively fast healing queue... I should level another Priest.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options

I once had someone message me on my pally, said they ran so many dungeons with me in the past. I didn't recognize them, and said as such. Then they replied "Oh...never mind then." I armoried them, brand new level 85, clearly just wanted run through instances.

• Options
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Hooray!

Having leveled four Priests, Shadow now is just inefficient compared to Disc until you get to Cata mobs; they have enough health to make a DoT rotation worth it. If you're already around the low 30's, perfect, you can spec archangel/atonement. Your rotation ends up pretty bland, Holy Fire on cooldown and Smite spam while letting things punch you in the face (Atonement is healing you), but by dropping out PW: S and SW: P you'll have way fewer mana issues. Pop AA between packs or whenever the buff might fall off for a bunch of mana.

Plus doing 40% of the group's damage with Smite is pretty fun, and relatively fast healing queue... I should level another Priest.

Switching one spammed spell for another doesn't bother me. ;)

• Options
    Sometimes WoWhead doesn't load for me when I try to go to it. So I have to F5 a couple times before it decides to. It gets stuck on their stupid ad shit. But the browser window titles still show up. Just now, this showed up:

If you are reading this, stop pressing F5.

And the page isn't loading.

This discussion has been closed.