As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    riz wrote: »
    Some more "how all this bullshit affects the smallfolk" context would be cool. The riot was a nice start.

As is the series of exchanges between Robb Stark and the battlefield nurse, with her bringing his selfish ass to reality using the kid with the amputated foot as an example.

"He fought for my enemy!"
    "He was a fisherman. What's your victory strategy, hotshot?"
    " . . . . . "
    "Thought so."

I hope that Nurse gets caught by Joffery/anyone who works for him. She'll change her tune pretty damn quick then.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I may be misremembering it, but that's what his eyes looked like to me during that final shot. And it was long enough to feel awkward and make me think that Tywin was going to comment on it.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Some more "how all this bullshit affects the smallfolk" context would be cool. The riot was a nice start.

As is the series of exchanges between Robb Stark and the battlefield nurse, with her bringing his selfish ass to reality using the kid with the amputated foot as an example.

" . . . . . "
    "Thought so."

I hope that Nurse gets caught by Joffery/anyone who works for him. She'll change her tune pretty damn quick then.

Yeah, I think a talk with the Tickler and his Bucket o' Fun might have given her some much-needed perspective.

On the other hand, I doubt getting captured by Roose Bolton's guys is much better.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    The vibe that I got from the scene was more "Littlefinger struggles to remember where he's seen Arya before and gives up," but I might have missed the bit Carpy is talking about.

His look towards the end, I think after he's out of close-up, seems like it moves from questioning to knowing. I may have to watch the scene again to be sure. Also, does Littlefinger or Tywin bring up the Stark girls first?

90% sure it's Littlefinger.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Me too, but need to verify. IIRC he does so in a way that (to the audience) was clearly meant for Arya to hear.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Just looked at the scene again - Littlefinger does bring up the proposal he took to Cat after Tywin asks for additional news, but Arya entirely leaves the scene before any mention of daughters

• Options
    Ah.

I still say Littlefinger totally knows. 'Cause he's fucking Littlefinger.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The vibe that I got from the scene was more "Littlefinger struggles to remember where he's seen Arya before and gives up," but I might have missed the bit Carpy is talking about.

His look towards the end, I think after he's out of close-up, seems like it moves from questioning to knowing. I may have to watch the scene again to be sure. Also, does Littlefinger or Tywin bring up the Stark girls first?

Littlefinger. He was discussing his meeting with Cat.

[e] late to party I see

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    [

" . . . . . "
    "Thought so."

Regarding smallfolk being fed up with all the bullshit, I'm a tad curious if that's where the Brotherhood fits in. If they are revolutionaries of some variety or if they are something much more nefarious. Granted they could be nefarious revolutionaries.

The what?

When Arya and Gendry are at the Torture camp. The tickler and such keep asking their torture victims about what they know about the Brotherhood or how they aided them. This includes Gendry- before Tywin comes along and saves his ass (basically).

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What the hell, it is a patriarchal early-medieval society? Of course you're going to see more female whores than males, and thats where the vast majority of nudity comes from.

There isnt anything more to it than that.

Also someone was complainign there wasnt enough wolves in episode 6, im pretty sure you saw like all of them, save Arya's obviously. Like you saw shaggydog and Brans dog following them out of winterfell didnt you?

Prohass on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    But don't you see, we have to project our modern day values onto fantasy feudal worlds

That is just how things work

gawwwwwwd

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular

" . . . . . "
    "Thought so."

Uh, how is Robb selfish for not surrendering to Joffrey? Because that's the only way to avoid people getting wounded and killed in battle. The nurse was naive and stupid.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Aaaargh, internet arguments, where things are either black or white! "Robb is selfish, nurse is so right!" "No, Robb is right, nurse is naive and stupid!"

Seriously, sometimes I wonder whether 99% of the world has a built-in 1-bit filter, and series, films, books etc. that go for ambiguity, ambivalence and ethical and emotional complexity are wasted on their audiences.

(*in a very grumpy mood due to having slept badly, but the points stands*)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Complexity is not wasted on me, I've read all the books. The nurse was trying to make Robb feel guilty for winning battles, which is absurd. It's not his fault the fisherman's boy or whoever was conscripted into the Lannister army. Joffrey was single handedly responsible for that man's leg.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Marie AugustMarie August Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Complexity is not wasted on me, I've read all the books. The nurse was trying to make Robb feel guilty for winning battles, which is absurd. It's not his fault the fisherman's boy or whoever was conscripted into the Lannister army. Joffrey was single handedly responsible for that man's leg.

I can understand the point of view that the fisherman's boy's plight is Robb's fault. Any bad situation that a person gets into can be attributed to actions that multiple people chose. And Robb has chosen war, so he will be responsible for many innocent people on both sides dying. He could have chosen to go home, and choose peace over pride. But he didn't, and there are consequences that many others are suffering because of it.

banner3.jpg
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com
  • Options

I can understand the point of view that the fisherman's boy's plight is Robb's fault. Any bad situation that a person gets into can be attributed to actions that multiple people chose. And Robb has chosen war, so he will be responsible for many innocent people on both sides dying. He could have chosen to go home, and choose peace over pride. But he didn't, and there are consequences that many others are suffering because of it.

But Joffrey chose war. Going to war wasn't just Robb's pride, it was the pride and backbone of the entire north. It was an impossibility for them to not go to war after Joffrey did what he did.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    As far as I can see, the war largely started because of Cat's short temper and her arresting Tyrion, and it's largely a fight between Tywin and Robb (and the remaining Baratheons). At least in the series Joffrey seems to have fairly little involvement except for a rant every now and then. I doubt Tywin would go against his own instincts for anything Joffrey says down in King's Landing. Yes, he had Nedd decapitated - but for all his moral fortitude, Nedd was dumb as a sack of bricks in his actions down south.

Robb has several good reasons for fighting the Lannisters, but at the very least he could do with the reality check the nurse offered him, even if it was one-sided and self-righteous.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Blaming Cat? Seriously? If you're playing that card, it all falls on Jaime because he put everything in motion.

• Options
    Uh pretty sure the fault is on Aegon Targaryen for conquering the Seven Kingdoms and starting the dynasty that was eventually overthrown by Robert Baratheon which led to the problems that we see in the series

duhhhh

• Options
    But Joffrey chose war. Going to war wasn't just Robb's pride, it was the pride and backbone of the entire north. It was an impossibility for them to not go to war after Joffrey did what he did.

Robb could have accepted Joffrey's terms to bend the knee and go home. If he'd done so, I doubt the North would have risen up in rebellion.

I'm not saying that he necessarily chose wrong. I'm saying that he did have a choice, and his choice has consequences.

banner3.jpg
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    That's exactly the point, Heisenberg. None of these things have a single cause, none of them have a single person to blame. Everyone shares part of the responsibility; some definitely more than others, but *no one is innocent*. Some are culpable because they let their pride get the better of them, some because they believe that moral behaviour trumps all even if it clashes with human nature and is likely to result in more bloodshed, some because they're psychotic. I'm happy to say that the Lannisters are *more* responsible, but one of the points of the series is that barely anyone has a completely clean slate. In fact, one of the reasons why Westeros is in deep shit is that the people who have the power to make far-reaching decisions are all engaged in a game of "*He* started it!"

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the war largely started because of Cat's short temper and her arresting Tyrion.

I always like to think that the war is the fault of the singer, Meridian. If he hadn't called out to Tyrion, and caused him to notice Catelyn was there, she wouldn't have made the impulsive decision to arrest him.

Then again, you could also say it was Cersei's fault for purposefully bearing no legitimate heirs. Or Brann's fault for climbing to the wrong winder, even after he promised his mother he would not.

banner3.jpg
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    Seriously, sometimes I wonder whether 99% of the world has a built-in 1-bit filter, and series, films, books etc. that go for ambiguity, ambivalence and ethical and emotional complexity are wasted on their audiences.

Single-handedly responsible? Not partly responsible, or even primarily responsible, but single-handedly responsible?

This is hilarious to me. A more perfect example of 1-bit moral filtering would be hard to devise.

• Options
    As far as I can see, the war largely started because of Cat's short temper and her arresting Tyrion.

I always like to think that the war is the fault of the singer, Meridian. If he hadn't called out to Tyrion, and caused him to notice Catelyn was there, she wouldn't have made the impulsive decision to arrest him.

Then again, you could also say it was Cersei's fault for purposefully bearing no legitimate heirs. Or Brann's fault for climbing to the wrong winder, even after he promised his mother he would not.

Yeah, that settles it. It's pretty much all Bran's fault.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Pointless in that the whole scene, textually, is arguably without merit

If you didn't learn a whole lot about Margaery in that scene you are without hope

Plus you already said that that scene's important, so I can only hope you're just using the word textually wrong

Just about everything important in that scene happens in the dialogue between Renly and Margaery, not between one tit and the other. You can cut the first two minutes from that scene and you still get the same result.

Explain to me why those two minutes should be cut but fifteen minutes of Eric and Sookie fucking in Fairyland in True Blood (which were the only scenes in which they were present in that episode) is okay.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular

Nah, Bran's just a kid, I blame his parents for letting him run wild and climb everywhere. He was bound to get in trouble.

Or maybe I should blame the Targaryens for uniting the 7 kingdoms in a unstable empire in the first place, eventually necessitating this horrible civil war (and the civil war of Ned and Robert's youth). It was only ever held together by their dragons, if they hadn't inbred them to extinction, none of this would have happened!

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Behemoth wrote: »

Nah, Bran's just a kid, I blame his parents for letting him run wild and climb everywhere. He was bound to get in trouble.

Or maybe I should blame the Targaryens for uniting the 7 kingdoms in a unstable empire in the first place, eventually necessitating this horrible civil war (and the civil war of Ned and Robert's youth). It was only ever held together by their dragons, if they hadn't inbred them to extinction, none of this would have happened!

Finally, someone who agrees with me!

• Options
    Just rewatched a couple bits. Man, Tyrion trying to talk sense into Joffrey was intense. Like, the kid does not fucking get it. They just literally ripped the High Septon limb from limb, yet Joffrey does not seem to understand that his own limbs rip off just as easily. Or that every single decision he makes has consequences...like letting the mob have Sansa being a death sentence for Jaime. He just doesn't give a shit, or care enough to consider any consequences. He wants to do what he wants to do, then wonders why everything goes to shit. Like Tyrion said, he's a special mix of vicious and idiot.

It's pretty clear at this point that Joffrey is not long for the throne.

And I think Tyrion took it personally when Clegane said he didn't save Sansa for him. But he didn't just mean Tyrion. Because he certainly didn't do it for Joffrey. He did it because it was the right fucking thing to do. Clegane will do the wrong thing when ordered to by those he's sworn to. And he'll not do the right thing when told not to as well. But left to his own devices? He may be brutish, but he's a good sort of brutish. He seems like he will honestly do the right thing because that's what he'd prefer to do. He's the opposite of his brother.

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Just about everything important in that scene happens in the dialogue between Renly and Margaery, not between one tit and the other. You can cut the first two minutes from that scene and you still get the same result.

Explain to me why those two minutes should be cut but fifteen minutes of Eric and Sookie fucking in Fairyland in True Blood (which were the only scenes in which they were present in that episode) is okay.

I'm fairly sure Atomic Ross indicated that True Blood doesn't try to sell itself as anything other than a trashy soap with titties and vampires. In that case, shameless sex scenes would be de rigueur.

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just rewatched a couple bits. Man, Tyrion trying to talk sense into Joffrey was intense. Like, the kid does not fucking get it. They just literally ripped the High Septon limb from limb, yet Joffrey does not seem to understand that his own limbs rip off just as easily. Or that every single decision he makes has consequences...like letting the mob have Sansa being a death sentence for Jaime. He just doesn't give a shit, or care enough to consider any consequences. He wants to do what he wants to do, then wonders why everything goes to shit. Like Tyrion said, he's a special mix of vicious and idiot.

"...And I just struck a king! Did my hand fall off at the wrist?!?"

Mad King George on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    [edit]

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Joffrey was single handedly responsible for that man's leg.

You mean after what Catelyn and Ned did, I.e trying to usurp the throne and kidnapping and trying to have Tyrion executed? 8-)

You seem to see this show in just black and whites, it's not a good way to approach it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options

"...And I just struck a king! Did my hand fall off at the wrist?!?"

I fucking loved that. Because Joffrey is enough of a stupid little shit to not realize that it wouldn't. Like, he really thinks that his "kingness" in and of itself offers any level of protection whatsoever. As Tyrion already tried to explain to him, he should ask his uncle how that works out.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Zzulu wrote: »

Joffrey was single handedly responsible for that man's leg.

You mean after what Catelyn and Ned did, I.e trying to usurp the throne and kidnapping and trying to have Tyrion executed? 8-)

You seem to see this show in just black and whites, it's not a good way to approach it

I actually don't see it in just black and whites, but thanks for making broad generalizations. I just think the events leading up to Joffrey's decision become kind of irrelivant after the fact. He could have avoided the war with one word.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Random tangent:

At the end of each episode I keep saying "oh it's over now?" Is anyone else getting that? It's like the episodes have almost no internal story structure--even in a serial television series, there is usually some rise and fall and a natural sense of rightness when an episode ends. Even in the books (and I think this is okay to talk about because it has no spoilers whatsoever), each chapter has a framework in a way which just can't work on TV.

I guess this is mainly just an unavoidable part of adapting the books to the screen, you couldn't ask for much better than they're doing really. But it's always jarring when an episode ends.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    OremLK wrote: »
    Even in the books (and I think this is okay to talk about because it has no spoilers whatsoever)
    NO BOOKS

• Options
    Seriously, simonwolf?

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Just making sure you realise that, for all intents and purposes, the books do not exist within the confines of this thread

What books, you may ask

exactly

• Options
    OremLK wrote: »
    Seriously, simonwolf?

God I hope he's not being serious, because that'd be goosery of the highest order. Though others have indeed been just as serious for the same stuff, so there you have it.

As for your actual point, it's just how they do things. It's intentional, too. Like, every single episode needs to end with a cliffhanger, and I'd almost wager that if you lined the episodes up you'd have better luck finding that natural intra-episode "arc" you're looking for cutting them middle-to-middle. True Blood does the same, and a lot of other shows have depended on the "cliffhanger every week" structure (like 24, Alias, and maybe Lost to name just a few that I've watched).

• Options
    Whatever. I was making a point--and really, it could apply to almost any novel, and if you want to see episodes in a serialized story type of television series as analogous to chapters in a novel, then there you go. I think it's awfully nitpicky to whine about that comparison

This discussion has been closed.