As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Writing off a family member.

bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Reccently i have become privy to some things that someone in my immediate family has done. Id rather not get into specifics, but lets just say that if this person was not a family member then i would never speak to them again. The question is, does the same standard apply to this person? Does it make me a bad person for not wanting to ever see them again? Is there a line that a family member can cross that brooks that kind of treatment, or does the fact that they are family mean that you have to forgive and forget no matter what?

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
bezerk bob on

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Everyone has different standards but if you consider it abhorrent enough not to speak to them again, you're perfectly entitled to. Once someone close to you has done something unspeakable in your eyes, it's hard to go back to the relationship you once had

Since you're unwilling to go into specifics, I'll ask general questions to get a better sense of what's happening

1) Were you and the family member close before it happened?
    2) Is there another side to the story or is it cut and dry?
    3) How has the rest of your family reacted?

Rayze on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Rayze wrote: »
    Everyone has different standards but if you consider it abhorrent enough not to speak to them again, you're perfectly entitled to. Once someone close to you has done something unspeakable in your eyes, it's hard to go back to the relationship you once had

Since you're unwilling to go into specifics, I'll ask general questions to get a better sense of what's happening

1) Were you and the family member close before it happened?
    2) Is there another side to the story or is it cut and dry?
    3) How has the rest of your family reacted?

1) Not so close that i can condone what they have done, it would be easier to never see them again than pretend everythings cool.
    2) Its pretty cut and dry.
    3) early days yet, i havent really got in touch with everyone yet.

bezerk bob on
    You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with you not talking to them again but a possible difficulty would be causing strife within the family. It could be you against the rest of them

For now, it's fine not talking to the person but I would advise talking to the other family members as soon as possible

• Options
    Rayze wrote: »
    I don't see a problem with you not talking to them again but a possible difficulty would be causing strife within the family. It could be you against the rest of them

For now, it's fine not talking to the person but I would advise talking to the other family members as soon as possible

Given the hurt that these actions have put on another family member in particular id say some strife has already occured. If me not talking to this person gets me excluded somewhat from the family, im honestly okay with that. I dont see that happening however.

• Options
    Then go for it without feeling any guilt

• Options
    Just to get some perspective, where would you draw the line in the sand? What would it take to get you too write someone off like this?

• Options
    hmm, that's tough. To anyone but especially a family member, murder, sexual assault, something to ruin their lives

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    You have a sort of obligation to your family to avoid a complete cut-off, but if someone has been a tremendous ass you can say you're out of their life. Give it months, years whatever and you can see if they've learnt. Though if it's really sickening feel free to completely kick them out of your life.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Naw, it's completely legitimate to cut people out of your life completely whether they're related to you or not. And everyone has a line that once they've crossed it's over.

It might be a single horrendous incident or a lifetime of abuse, but yeah, being family doesn't absolve them of their obligation to not be an asshole.

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    some family members are simply not worth dealing with. I have, sadly, a lot of those (especially the cousins of my generation). Thankfully my immediate family is pretty awesome.

I'm a big believer that the people you choose to bring into your life, a sort of family-by-choice, is of a much greater importance. They're the ones who will support you, who understand you, and it's a relationship where you've both knowingly decided that the other person was important to you. Blood only means so much sometimes.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I have a core of people where i used to live, friends who i am as close to as family. most of my extended family i never see, and my immediate family only on easter and christmas.

bezerk bob on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    The phrase, "Blood is thicker than water" is bullshit. If you don't want to talk to someone, don't talk to them. Family schamily.

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    Having seen this happen in my wife's family, the big problem with this is that there will be fallout.

When you do something like this, it's not just a thing between you and that person. It becomes a burden on your family. You force people to take sides, or to try and get you both to reconcile. Even more pedestrian things, like family events, leave people upset, not knowing what to do. You become a subject of gossip. It could continue for as long as you aren't talking to them.

Now, you haven't said what has happened, but it doesn't sound to me like you think the whole family will cut this person out, so you're going to end up in this situation. You have to judge whether you think it's worth it.

• Options
    @Lewisham If that happens im okay with it. I live quite a distance from most of my relatives, i only ever see them maybe one or two times a year. So not making a trip back for christmas wont be too much of a struggle. Can you go into detail about your wifes situation, or would you prefer not to?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    I do not have a "tolerate this bullshit because it's family" button, and honestly I don't understand people who do. If I don't want to talk to someone I don't, and I don't go places I know they will be, and it's no different when dealing with a particularly repellent family member.

Now, if you're asking if your response to the situation is reasonable in general, it's very, very difficult to say without knowing more. Without giving any specifics, can you give us an idea on the scale of, say, "stole some paper clips" to "attempted murder"? Might make it a little easier to advise.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Basically boils down to an extended affair, getting pregnant to the person they were cheating with, lying and saying the partner was the father and getting an abortion.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I've written off one of my uncles. He's been a total asshole for as far back as *I* can remember, culminating in him not attending my mother's (his blood sister's) funeral last year and then a few weeks later leaving a shitty, mean voicemail on our phone directed at my sister who had just lost her mother.

I mean, I can't adequately convey in such a short space what a total asshole he is. There are plenty of examples over the last 20-30 years - that's just the latest one. Suffice to say, I hate him quite thoroughly and feel no guilt in writing the shithead off forever.

As to whether or not it is reasonable to write someone off for the reason you just specified, I don't think there's an objective index of reasonability here. I don't think anyone here can absolve you of whatever guilt you might feel from cutting this person off - either you feel it or you don't. I feel zero guilt in my situation. I guess if you feel potentially guilty for this, you have to ask yourself why and to what degree. And if you don't, don't worry about it. Family is important, but it's not so important that you have to accept everything they say and do just because they are family.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    angry-muffinangry-muffin Registered User regular
    I think it would be fine not to talk to them. I'm wondering, though, if you have thought about what would happen in regards to family gatherings and events that you are both invited to? I don't know if it is relevant to you, but there is a situation in my family where one of the people involved handles such interactions badly, and often unfairly affects other people who weren't, and never wanted to be involved in the problem.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There is definitely a point where you just cut someone off and never even think about them again. You have to figure out where that line is, and whether this person crossed it. If so, then you have one less family member. I did this about a year ago with a very close friend. It's not easy, but there it is.

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Naw, it's completely legitimate to cut people out of your life completely whether they're related to you or not. And everyone has a line that once they've crossed it's over.

It might be a single horrendous incident or a lifetime of abuse, but yeah, being family doesn't absolve them of their obligation to not be an asshole.
    This but think very careful at what point you would do this.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    How about instead of asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum about family advice you talk to your family?

Are you 100% confident in what you heard is the truth? Or is it all hearsay from friends and family? My experience is stories get exaggerated, memories get twisted, people lie.

The reason I wouldn't advocate straight cut-off because that's an easy way out that usually is based more on fiction than fact--something for peace of mind over actual reality. Also, the fallout just won't deal with you, it'll ripple through the family. You better be damn sure of what you think before you start writing off immediate family members (mother, father, brother, sister--not the uncle and extended family stories in this thread). Like, sure enough you could convict them beyond a reasonable doubt. And even then, you still won't talk to them about it?

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    bezerk bob wrote: »
    @Lewisham If that happens im okay with it. I live quite a distance from most of my relatives, i only ever see them maybe one or two times a year. So not making a trip back for christmas wont be too much of a struggle. Can you go into detail about your wifes situation, or would you prefer not to?

Nothing as dramatic as what happened to you; grandmother and aunt had falling out, aunt refused to talk to grandmother for years, wouldn't help with care of grandmother, family gatherings difficult etc. etc.

Personally, I think you're justified, and I'm actually quite a big fan of removing negative people from your life. I think it's a lot healthier than trying to keep them around and dealing with their crap. However, I just wanted to point out that it's a decision that isn't necessarily about you and him, but includes the rest of your family too.

• Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bezerk bob wrote: »
    Just to get some perspective, where would you draw the line in the sand? What would it take to get you too write someone off like this?

For me, the line was drawn when I become so uncomfortable around the person in question that I have to separate myself from them to maintain my own sanity. I recently had to make that decision about one of my relatives because of things they'd done (or tried to do) to me in my past and were still attempting. The last time I visited them I had constant panic attacks because of how anxious I felt around them. I haven't cut them completely out of my life, because they still maintain contact with my parents, but I no longer visit them and I refuse to be alone in the same room/house as them.

On the other hand, I still maintain a cordial relationship with a family member that emotionally abused me for most of my childhood because I still feel too close to them to write them off completely.

In the end, the line is something you have to decide the location of. But you shouldn't maintain a relationship with someone who hurts you or someone you love out of a sense of "family loyalty".

Officer 1BDI on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I don't know that there would be a "line in the sand" rule; the possibilities and perpetrators are so varied that, unless you have a huge fucked up family, it seems like it would demand a case-by-case examination. I think with that in mind, when examining your particular case you shouldn't feel obligated to act a certain way because of a rule that might exist. These are extraordinary circumstances; if they weren't, you wouldn't have to be thinking this way. Extraordinary circumstances might call for an extraordinary response; you're the only one who can decide if this case does.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    Being related just gives you a head start in the being friends game. But it does not obligate you to be friends.

Now, only you understand the way your family works. Just be mindful of what the ramifications of this decision will be. Will your actions in distancing yourself from this person create a situation that could hurt another family member that you do care for?

As an example, I have 2 older brothers who are terrible people, they have repeatedly stolen from me, and other and generally are a source of disappointment and woe for my parents. I have no interest in maintaining a relationship with them, however I am perfectly capable of being civil and not causing a scene around them, and ruining a family gathering that they attend.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'm remarkably lucky with my family, as I have no real "problem" family members, extended or immediate, and I feel you should know that probably biases my advice on the subject.

I would explain that you find the person's actions completely reprehensible, and then I would stop talking to him or her for a while. A few months, maybe. The problem with burning bridges is that they can be tough to mend. Let's say that, in a year or so (or maybe even right now) this person realizes the depth of their mistake and wishes to make amends. Furthermore, outright stating "I'm cutting you out of my life" seems as though it would put undue stress on the rest of your family, and might even be construed as creating unnecessary drama at a point where the family is already going through some tough times.

I guess my advice would be to explain that you're most definitely not okay with what happened, and then consciously avoid the person. Screen their phone calls and such. But don't call them up and say "I'm never talking to you again" or anything.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    How about instead of asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum about family advice you talk to your family?

Are you 100% confident in what you heard is the truth? Or is it all hearsay from friends and family? My experience is stories get exaggerated, memories get twisted, people lie.

The reason I wouldn't advocate straight cut-off because that's an easy way out that usually is based more on fiction than fact--something for peace of mind over actual reality. Also, the fallout just won't deal with you, it'll ripple through the family. You better be damn sure of what you think before you start writing off immediate family members (mother, father, brother, sister--not the uncle and extended family stories in this thread). Like, sure enough you could convict them beyond a reasonable doubt. And even then, you still won't talk to them about it?

You know, this really needs to be repeated again, because this poster is exactly right. I have a large extended family, and oh lord does the gossipy backstabbing go on for days. Especially now that they all found facebook. If you're relying on second hand knowledge, I'd be very careful of making any sort of stand until you've sussed out the whole truth and whether anyone is just looking to grind an axe with some vicious rumor mongering.

Also an important thing to ask yourself in situations like this is: "Is this any of my business?"

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't think there is a set line, it's all related to how you feel about the situation.

My uncle, after my grandfather's funeral, was pissed that my grandfather's "common law" family was left pretty much everything my Grandfather owned. My uncle rarely spoke to my Grandfather, or my Mother, and only got chummy when grandpa was sick. So he sped back to the house post funeral, loaded up his truck with loot, and sped away as people were getting there. We have never spoken to him since.

A lot of my family is racist as shit, and completely self absorbed. The aunts and uncles of my cousin (and birth mother) will constantly talk down about the others, and try to outdo each other in the eyes of my cousin... He is 3, and mixed race. This was incredibly annoying and stupid, but i don't see them much so i just deal.

It could be an isolated incident, or a lifetime of being a shithead. There is no line, it's just what you want to put up with. It's also possible to be civil with a family member even though you are disgusted by them. you don't have to shun them, or whatever, unless you want to!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    My personal cut-off is either something unpleasant sustained over a period of time long enough to know that it wasn't a 'spur of the moment' mistake gone out of their control, or something so heinous that it disgusts me totally. I've had the former, not the latter.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I have no contact with my step brothers and sister now my step dad has died. They are a horrid, selfish bunch of unpleasant people who would rather drink and smoke than help pay anything towards their own father's funeral - I paid for it, and when I wouldn't pay for cars to transport them, they were obnoxious. My life is better without them, but worse without my step dad, he was wondrous.

You make your own choices in life, you do what you can live with, and don't do what you can't live with, then you move on. Life is too short and precious to fill it with people you can't abide.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't think the "family" meta tag automatically means they are exempt from following the Rule of Wheaton (aka "Don't Be a Dick!") - if they violate that rule, I don't see a problem with not speaking to them. I might be more inclined to give them a little more slack, but in the end they're people like everyone else. Keep in mind that "family" isn't necessarily limited to blood; your family is what you make it.

I've had to distance myself from my dad and my half-brother (same dad, different mothers) because they're both sort of shit-heads. Small disclaimer, though - weak or non-existent relationship with them both, so it wasn't very difficult on my end. Plus I live 1,300 miles away.

It sounds like what they did was pretty despicable. But they say forgiveness is divine... If you don't want to deal with them, then don't. In the end, it's all up to you buddy!

punk on