As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I gave myself about 73 icons on the TS server. I shall be adding more in the future

Please don't do this for the sake of other people's readability.

It's more to tell people what you are currently playing or what you represent as your main. A few of them are ok. All of them are not.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    I was mostly kidding. I think I have like 4

PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was mostly kidding. I think I have like 4

No problem. I just saw the opportunity to sort of lay that ground rule on the table.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Unexpected work trip from Friday until Sunday night.

Fuck.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    Remember @huggles wuvwuv doesn't give you all your skills (I think I'm right in saying this) only the competitive pvp like 5v5 so you won't have much of a tool kit but I imagine you can unlock skills during wuvwuv play.

@madpoet I just want to say wuvwuv alot to give you some crazy phil collins dreams.
    wuvwuv

That's the idea. I think you're supposed to be able to level a character completely in wuvwuv.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Unexpected work trip from Friday until Sunday night.

Fuck.

*shakes fist*

The livestream will have a video record of the beta weekend and we'll most likely post a ton of screenshots, if that helps.

488W936.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Huggles wrote: »
    Remember @huggles wuvwuv doesn't give you all your skills (I think I'm right in saying this) only the competitive pvp like 5v5 so you won't have much of a tool kit but I imagine you can unlock skills during wuvwuv play.

@madpoet I just want to say wuvwuv alot to give you some crazy phil collins dreams.
    wuvwuv

That's the idea. I think you're supposed to be able to level a character completely in wuvwuv.

Well, it might be worth getting to about level 10 in PvE first, just to get some stuff unlocked.

Things are going to be a bit different this weekend (and at launch) though, as everyone will be in the same position. Also, for the BWE they might have the NPC which boosts your base level to 30 like they did in the press weekend.

DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »
    Hmm I still can't log into the account site.

Do you guys think it's time to actually call them yet?

(please do not link me to their support site, tried that, didn't help. Note: this is not a complaint. I understand it's an oddball problem.)

Well if you want to wait until it is completely "appropriate" I would say when they announce the download officially. I imagine you could contact them today though.

What account are you using to attempt the log in? Did you link accounts?

I did not link accounts. I'm just trying to use my email and the password I used.
    Make sure it's the @ncsoft account or the account created after it asked you to link accounts.

I did not link accounts. So I should not have an @ncsoft account. Correct?
    I believe, if you don't link accounts, you have to create one.

Try logging into http://us.ncsoft.com/en/ then go to Game Accounts and look under Account section for GuildWars, that should be your GW2 login account.

I just tried making an ncsoft account with that same email and it didn't show anything about a GW2 account.

I mean, there's definitely a chance I just mis-typed my email. And since email is the same as login... well... I don't see any way to fix that besides calling.

Yeah, NCsoft accounts have nothing to do with GW2. ANet is running the account system independent from NCsoft. The only exception (and I think it is really just the account name even then) is if you link a GW1 account with an "@ncsoft" name to a GW2 account.

You should get in touch with ANet support since you can't log in with the account you set up at GW2 registration.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    What do the icons in teamspeak show/are for? I can't wait until Friday, some family stuff came up but ill play all night. Saturday gf wants to go to a club, must find way out of that!

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Being excited for this game and lauding ANet for it: Cool.

PMing our resident ANet employee for help on your technical issues: Not cool.

This reminds me of when I watched the recording of PAX East PA Q&A session from the last day. How many people requested signatures? I saw about 5 goose-bags before I closed it because that is not this community. We're better than that.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    What do the icons in teamspeak show/are for? I can't wait until Friday, some family stuff came up but ill play all night. Saturday gf wants to go to a club, must find way out of that!

They show what profession/race you run - like you can show the symbol of a thief and a human next to your name in chat. It's user customizable, so you do it yourself for what you want to show. Draygo put a lot of work into it, it looks great :)

• Options
    Geod wrote: »

They show what profession/race you run - like you can show the symbol of a thief and a human next to your name in chat. It's user customizable, so you do it yourself for what you want to show. Draygo put a lot of work into it, it looks great :)

I checked out the TS rather quickly last night and it does look great, gonna add some icons when I start beta I guess.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular

I checked out the TS rather quickly last night and it does look great, gonna add some icons when I start beta I guess.

You can do it whenever, but yeah, it's just a neat feature. TS3 is a lot better than most of us thought it would be initially based on what we knew from using TS2 in the past. There's also GW2 skins you can download for TS3 too for each different race. Draygo has screenshots posted in the past few pages.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

You can do it whenever, but yeah, it's just a neat feature. TS3 is a lot better than most of us thought it would be initially based on what we knew from using TS2 in the past. There's also GW2 skins you can download for TS3 too for each different race. Draygo has screenshots posted in the past few pages.

He added them for all races now?

MY HERO!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I just ordered the standard edition through their site, but the purchase page refuses to load/give a confirmation so I thought something went wrong.

So now it looks like I bought two copies. I hope they let me refund one of them, since I haven't used either code yet.

• Options
    charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular

So much bitter hate for TS2, I have. TS3 is much more polished.

@Angrysquirrel, yah buddy!

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I just ordered the standard edition through their site, but the purchase page refuses to load/give a confirmation so I thought something went wrong.

So now it looks like I bought two copies. I hope they let me refund one of them, since I haven't used either code yet.

Mine got stuck after purchase but I still received email and confirmed by logging into website so I'm hoping all is well, and I was charged for it.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    naengwen wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    That is a pretty damn pretty launcher.

Pretty, yes, but fuck I hate it when companies decide to go outside the Windows UI and do non-standard window design (specifically the title bar/top right buttons and border), it's the same shit Apple does and it's annoying.

The Windows UI is shit.

Compared to? Your options are Windows, OSX, and whatever flavor of Linux windows manager floats your boat. I don't know anyone (including die hard Linux users) who would argue that any Linux GUI is better than OSX or Windows, and between OSX and WIndows you basically have personal perference - I'm not a fan of OSX design conventions or the interface in general, so Windows wins in the end, and I find it very useable/clean. Detour aside, I just dislike companies stepping outside the UI guidelines for any OS just because they want to be unique.

So what you're saying is that you've never liked any video game UI made with DirectX or OpenGL, then.

EDIT: That woulda been an awkward typo to explain.

Trying to work out what that typo might have been :p

The only thing I can think of was "...you've never liked any video game UI made with Dicks..."

Even if that wasn't it, I think it should have been.

(also, downloading the client, whee!)
    Yeah, let's go with that. The actual edit was boring anyways.

But even still, it makes sense to use a specialized UI if you're implementing a multiplatform solution, since the result doesn't always come out as pretty as possible. Heck, even in Windows alone it makes sense to use a non-standard UI, since by default Windows has several UIs to choose from. As long as they're not using something like Swing to make it, it's usually pretty harmless.

But enough about that. I wonder if the beta's finished downloading at home yet.

Come to think of it, have they made the official announcement yet? Would be a little awkward to have a client, then have to download another one. I mean, my bad for jumping the gun and all, but still!

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Anyone else planning on jumping straight in to wuvwuv with me this weekend? My goal is to harass enemy supply camps for the entire weekend.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is a cool link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/sqhvx/guild_wars_2_announcement_forum_opens_with/

Looks like the official announcement was briefly up on their forums before it was hidden again. Includes what is likely to be the official download link but who knows!
    Anyone else planning on jumping straight in to wuvwuv with me this weekend? My goal is to harass enemy supply camps for the entire weekend.

I'm going to play PvP as soon as I unlock a bunch of weapon skills and become more familiar with them. I don't want to get tossed into a full skill bar and learn it that way.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I am playing with options and listening to the actual GW2 in game music squeeeee.

With a 560ti and i7 processor and 8gb of ram - can i max this game out?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is a cool link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/sqhvx/guild_wars_2_announcement_forum_opens_with/

Looks like the official announcement was briefly up on their forums before it was hidden again. Includes what is likely to be the official download link but who knows!

I'm going to play PvP as soon as I unlock a bunch of weapon skills and become more familiar with them. I don't want to get tossed into a full skill bar and learn it that way.

When do you get weapon skills? I was hoping to at least get to 10-15 before I pvp, what's the max level?

• Options
    I am playing with options and listening to the actual GW2 in game music squeeeee.

With a 560ti and i7 processor and 8gb of ram - can i max this game out?

It's impossible to say at this stage, only the minimum requirements have been released and the game will perform differently at release. I will say though that the 560ti is a good card and Guild Wars 2 isn't meant to be demanding like a game such as Battlefield 3 so you should be able to get close.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Okay, so, neither a basic Google search or forum search turned this up: will there be custom heroes/mercs in GW2? Going through the GW1 campaign with pokemon of my own design was a lot of fun.

• Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Who wants to send me a private message on the GW2 forums? Wanna see if it works even though we have no access to any forums. Username: Naivedo.4617

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Okay, so, neither a basic Google search or forum search turned this up: will there be custom heroes/mercs in GW2? Going through the GW1 campaign with pokemon of my own design was a lot of fun.

no

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is a cool link:

When do you get weapon skills? I was hoping to at least get to 10-15 before I pvp, what's the max level?

You get weapon skills by using the weapons in question. Based on what's been shown thus far, it'll take anywhere from fifteen to thirty minutes to unlock/learn the five slots for any given weapon.

The max level is 80.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

no

To expound: there are no heroes or mercs at all.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Erm - where does the installer put the game?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm just gonna unlock the weapon skills and get used to them and then hop in PvP. I don't need to do this, and it's great that the question "so when can I PvP" that you ask when you first start a new MMO isn't answered with "oh about level 20-30".

• Options

In the directory where the installer is. It's just a big ass .dat file and some other file.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

He added them for all playable races now?

MY HERO!

ftfy.

I might get around to sylvari/asura sometime soonish, but maybe after the BWE.

My update post got buried at page 40 cuz i made it right before omgredditdownload.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22893644#Comment_22893644

Draygo on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

Near as I can figure a 12.7 GB DAT file in the same folder as the installer. You run the installer again to access the game.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Also, there are no registry shenanigans so you can just grab all the files (there's three of them, I think) and put them in whatever folder or computer you like.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

I will be spending a lot of time out there, but not exclusively. I think I'd like to unlock all of my basic weapon skills first, and maybe gather a few skill points for at least one utility skill before jumping in.

The answer you are looking for is: No. GW2 is more of a "traditional" MMO than GW is.

26904.png
  • Options
    No registry shenanigans is good.

• Options
    Oooo, I need to research what weapons Guardian can use and find another class I might be interested in playing.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Downloading the client!

...but where the heck does it go? It just started downloading without asking for a destination or anything.

edit: oh, answered above.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I had to do a %tmp% search and found a temp gw2 folder in there that had the dat file and launcher.

Doubt I would have had the issues if I unzipped the installer before running it.

Moved the files into my documents - renamed the folder to GW2 and put the launcher shortcut on my desktop. Friday needs to hurry up!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Got about 10 seconds into the DL and was like 'Whoopsie' as it was downloading to where I had opened the exe :p

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    The download keeps failing for me. :( Start download, get 200M or so, failed. restart, get another 200M, repeat.

This discussion has been closed.