As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] looks to be a pretty good game.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I love the ending of this game.

It's like hey, let's get out what I was trying to say in Xenosaga and gears by not doing that at all, and yet I finally got it right.

Simplicity is key.

God how I wish NG+ was difficult. There are so many neat things about it but who the hell is ever going to play a game that long again when you can kill everything in one hit for the first half of the game and less then a minute for the rest.

It's like playing five or six NG+ Chrono Triggers.

I do advise everyone playing up through the prologue though, there are two neat as fuck changes that you'll appreciate.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There's a certain twist in the ending that seemed pretty unnecessary. Otherwise, it was good.

I feel the exact opposite about New Game Plus. I like having a way to breeze through the story.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I agree with XoB, because I really enjoyed the high-level combat, and would have liked if I could have some more of it. Yes, after 120ish hours I still want more of the combat, which is completely unlike most RPGs. I love when an RPG lets you create your own type of team that gives you a different experience than someone else playing the same game, so once my arts and skills started coming together to make my team exactly how I wanted it the combat was great, and I would have appreciated a NG+ with level 90+ enemies just to continue that.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Bleh, they had a good idea putting the clock in so you can quickly change time for various quests and such; but then they have weather requirements too; so it's like...here, we gave you the illusion of saving time with the clock so we can make you sit there and dick with it for 20 minutes to get the weather you want!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's never taken me 20 minutes. Usually three or four 12 hour time updates will eventually drop me in to a rainy whatever.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    It depends on the area really. Some tend to get weather more often, it seems. Bionis Leg? no problem.
    Fallen Arm?
    So annoying. 20 minutes was definitely an exaggeration, but damn near 10 minutes for sure. I kept getting rain, but no thunderstorm.

• Options
    thunderstorm on eryth sea is a bad one.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    falling stars on eryth sea is a bad one.

Fixed

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I hate trying to get a heatwave in Makna just because it can take a while to tell if you have it.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I hate trying to get a heatwave in Makna just because it can take a while to tell if you have it.

Yeah, that one was weird. I think I probably missed it a few times before I looked up what it actually was.

Protip for developers; if your game is already on older hardware and the game already looks fairly "blurry"; don't make one of your weather effects a blurry screen.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The worst weather effect for me was the shooting stars in Eryth Sea.

Mainly because there already are shooting stars at night. You see one go by every few seconds. But apparently what they mean is "Deep Impact/the world is fucking ending" shooting stars. At least it wasn't that bad, once I knew what the heck I was looking for anyways.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The worst weather effect for me was the shooting stars in Eryth Sea.

Mainly because there already are shooting stars at night. You see one go by every few seconds. But apparently what they mean is "Deep Impact/the world is fucking ending" shooting stars. At least it wasn't that bad, once I knew what the heck I was looking for anyways.

Yeah. I lucked out because I got that randomly before I even found the place. So I knew what to look for kind of. Still a pain in the ass to actually get it to show up :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    falling stars on eryth sea is a bad one.

Fixed

Nah, Falling Stars is actually the common weather effect. Same thing with heat and rain in Makna. Heat is far more common.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

Yeah, that one was weird. I think I probably missed it a few times before I looked up what it actually was.

Protip for developers; if your game is already on older hardware and the game already looks fairly "blurry"; don't make one of your weather effects a blurry screen.

Not much help now, but under heat, there's no birdsong in Makna.

• Options
    Yep, also by the watchfire on the first checkpoint after the bridge there should be a level 96 fire elemental when it is hot out.

Heatwave can also be at night which is a plus.

• Options
    Do gems that increase topple time only apply to the person doing the topple, or do they "stack" across characters to add a cumulative effect?

• Options
    Well, depends on how you look at it. A move normally topples for x seconds.

With the gem equipped it does x+y seconds, but toppling stacks. so without the gem and three topples it would be 3x+y. If all three characters have the gem it would be 3(x+y)

More gems, more topple time, more topples, more topple time.

Against most non boss characters don't forget about throwing in a daze as well. Daze is basically topple but it cancels whichever arte the enemy is doing.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Got the last few of the 4th skill trees last night. Had to dig up a couple more quests for Sharla's, but it wasn't that big a deal. I admit it would have taken a lot longer into the game to get Reyn's without a guide, though, since I had missed several people. Apparently Alcamoth is up to 4 stars now too, not that I need it for anything (yet?).

I guess I should probably go to Sword Valley now, huh.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Well, depends on how you look at it. A move normally topples for x seconds.

With the gem equipped it does x+y seconds, but toppling stacks. so without the gem and three topples it would be 3x+y. If all three characters have the gem it would be 3(x+y)

More gems, more topple time, more topples, more topple time.

Against most non boss characters don't forget about throwing in a daze as well. Daze is basically topple but it cancels whichever arte the enemy is doing.

If you get it down real right you can basically Chaindaze everything whenever someone tries to start some shit.

It's like, I don't even care to use the Monado anymore, this is the way Gentlemen and Scholars fight.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    That explanation was kinda over my head.

So let me see if I can get it. You're basically saying that yes: topple extension gems only apply to the person who did the topple, but you can "re-topple" while they're still toppled thus extending further, and if someone else has topple you can just chain it forever?

I just feel like not enough characters have abilities that topple to do this. Off the top of my head just Reyn, Dunban and uh...Riki. Oh and Melia, but hers is dependent on her spear attack and not (as far as I can tell) chainable with others. The other characters (except melia) have daze; but does daze function like Topple? It seems to go away far far quicker than topple.

Maybe I'm still just not far enough to be worrying about it. The only unique I had any issues so far with was the *one* in Sword Valley, but I just went back a few levels higher and destroyed it without issue. I am about to finish
    Mechonis Field, but I'm going to take a detour and complete what I can of Colony 6 before moving on
    . So I'm getting there, but yeah, not quite.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Make sure you do everything you want in Sword Valley and Galahad Fortress before you finish that. I don't think you can go back there.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Make sure you do everything you want in Sword Valley and Galahad Fortress before you finish that. I don't think you can go back there.

Are those the only two that are locked out? I had a hard time finding the answer on google without risking further spoilers. Can I still go back to
    Mechonis Field? I think the quests relating to it are timed; so I just assumed...

EDIT: And yeah, killed all the uniques in those areas and completed their quests/collectopedias; all of the items can be traded for anyway and afaik nothing requires anything enemies drop there.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2012

Are those the only two that are locked out? I had a hard time finding the answer on google without risking further spoilers. Can I still go back to
    Mechonis Field? I think the quests relating to it are timed; so I just assumed...

EDIT: And yeah, killed all the uniques in those areas and completed their quests/collectopedias; all of the items can be traded for anyway and afaik nothing requires anything enemies drop there.

Yeah you can go back there. The reason those two are locked out is
    all the Hom/Nopon/High Entia armies are fightin' Mechons in those spots... aka "we want to show this in a cutscene and not do a lot of extra programming work to show it in-game and/or not show it and have things be really confusing ala how Colony 9 looked just peechy-keen after the Mechon destroyed the shit out of everything" (seriously, the Mechon destroy like all the AA towers and blow up a bunch of buildings and there isn't even rubble....)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    The game gives the impression that there is a time skip after that, but Reyn refutes it in a later heart to heart.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    So I went back to my save just before the final boss so I could do a few final things. Sold off a bunch of weapons and armour I didn't need and made about 2 million out of that. Killed off a few more UMs, did a few last quests, searched out a bunch of Lancelot stuff with slots (enough for the four guys in the party), also picked op a number of art manuals from the UMs. I only need to get one more of the 5th skill trees but it'll have to wait since I've already started a new game plus.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    that fifth tree is hilarious.

Broken, but mainly hilarious.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It seems like party composition can make a pretty huge difference. I switched from Shulk/Seventh/Melia to Dunban/Seventh/Sharla halfway through a dungeon, and started killing things blazingly fast compared to what I was doing before. I was a few levels higher, true, but the difference was greater than that would account for.

It's weird how much synergy you can get if you set things up correctly. I've had battles where I've taken out most of a large enemy with a chain attack, finished it off with a few skills, and then defeated the adds with a second chain attack that I somehow managed to build up in the space of less than 10 seconds.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    If you weren't controlling Melia yourself, that could be part of the reason. Melia's AI is horrible.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Yeah I've given up using Melia if I'm not controlling her. Sick of seeing an enemy die slowly while she's sitting on 3 lightning bolt orbs with Lightning Element maxed out, full Ether gems and +100% lightning damage.

They dropped the ball in a spectacular way on her.

Also I've noticed there's a few places (mainly if you're standing in water? or something?) where Riki refuses to fight at all. He just stands there and follows one of the party members around doing nothing. No commands have any effect and you can't get him to respond. The first notable place I noticed it was (not really much of a spoiler, except location)
    The fallen arm, inside the wrist there's an area with Upas in shallow water.
    there's a unique there and I thought I'd cheese it with Riki but he didn't do a damn thing the whole time. Really frustrating.

• Options
    No one will fight when swimming. Riki is about a third of Melia's height, do the math.

This interestingly enough makes him useless in parts of his home area and most of the next.

Another fun bit like that is when they reintroduce Dunban with his awesome anti mechon sword...and no Mechon to fight for the next three zones.

• Options
    Yeah, I know no one can fight if they're swimming; but unless he just doesn't have a swimming animation that's not what was going on.

I mean, maybe it was. The thought did cross my mind; but that place is less water to swim in and more just like the floor is just a water graphic; there's no depth to it.

Either way, if there's water, I don't bother with Riki.

His power weirdly doesn't seem related to his stats at all. It's all about constant high tension and buffs and never ending chains.

• Options
    Oh it's definitely not related to his attack stat, but considering you can give him both Melia and Sharla's ether boosts and Sharla's 20% more artes damage bonus you can see a drastic uptick in his ether damage and healing....

• Options
    Hero Time is so much better than Reyn Time.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Let's pretend that never happened.

• Options
    Maybe its an affinity based thing; but I've noticed that the characters in my party have started having like, actual conversations about the battle, after the fact; with no input from me. It's usually something humorous; but it's weird it never occurred throughout the previous 90 hours of play.

• Options
    Maybe its an affinity based thing; but I've noticed that the characters in my party have started having like, actual conversations about the battle, after the fact; with no input from me. It's usually something humorous; but it's weird it never occurred throughout the previous 90 hours of play.

Really? That's odd. You should have at least have had Sharla fail to pay attention to that thing that Reyn just did.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well every group combo has a unique end-of-battle chat that can randomly play. I don't know if it's affinity based or just simply random. There's only the one clip per group though. Or at least I've only ever heard the one.

I find it hard to believe you haven't heard at least a couple of them along the way. The first one you'd likely get is what jothki mentioned, where Reyn is all "Look what I did Sharla!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah I could have very easily just missed it. I usually pay pretty late at night so while I have the volume high enough to hear all the music/dialogue, I could miss it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Huggles wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Let's pretend that never happened.

rikitime.gif

(sorry, I was bored :D)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So.
    HOLY SHIT!!!!! Everything goes Batshit insane after Mechonis Core. not sure how I feel about my "fake/green mech" Monado either.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat