As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] looks to be a pretty good game.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The side quest pacing is kinda weird.

Like, for a good chunk of the game, if you're doing them all you will be massively over leveled. But then for the late game stuff, they really start to dry up and you pretty much have to have done them all to be the right level.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried going through the game without doing any sidequests, though? I suspect it wouldn't be as far off as you'd think it would be.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    You would have a ridiculous amount of AP.
    --Hey lv 92. screw the thought of doing superbosses though. that doesn't look like much fun--
    And I just got the lamest quest rewards/treasure for my level in all the game
    Three giants door had me hyped to see what behind the door, and I open the chest and its soooo disappointing..

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Chen who are the folks on the right half of your sig?

As has been said, it's the cast from The Last Story, the other RPG for the Wii. It should be out in NA on July 10th. It's not as ambitious as Xenoblade (the game takes around 25 hours to finish), but the cast is charming enough and they're British. No mascot character, but at least there's a resolution beyond a simple crush. Damn you Takahashi for denying me true love!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    I like how the Heart to Heart system works out. It does a good job of keeping the game focused on the plot, while still giving you that character interaction if you want it. It's nice how it also provides more closure for some aspects that the plot glosses over.

From what I hear about FF13, I'm assuming that if Square had made this game they'd be forcing all of that dialog on you mid-dungeon?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Almost all of XIII's character development is done by flashbacks that just happen to be much better then the actual plot of the game.

If the whole story had been as well thought out as the flashbacks people wouldn't complain about that aspect so much.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So I went into town to pick up a copy of Monster Hunter Tri and a few other things. I spotted a copy of Xenoblade too! They never have it in, so I snapped it up. So there. I'm in. Screw you all for making me buy good things.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Expanding the backlog to multiple system are we Isy?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    No.....
    *kicks Dragons Dogma PS3 preorder under the desk*

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Finally ran out of sidequests last night (or at least didn't find any more)... time to finally go to Prison Island!

Being 9-10 levels over the boss there was kind of sad, but hey.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Strap yourself in good son, and stack up on fatty snacks and sugary drinks.

Where you're going, it's Reyn Time, all the time.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Just popped in to mark my slooooow progress (while dodging spoilers):

I've made it to
    the sea
    . Talk about a mindeff geologically. The characters are great, I'm having a lot of fun despite playing on-and-off, I'm super glad I stayed away from the bare minimum of info, and I can't wait to go back and read through this thread when I'm done with the game.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    I still like this game and all, but I find the further I get in it the more fucking retarded my party has become about acting confused about plot points that were explained many hours ago, and demanding reiteration like they all have alzheimers.

It's a bad case of JRPG Writing. Hopefully it's not fatal.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I so agree with you. So MUCH quests...question regarding Alcamoth:
    Do I really have to do all these sidequests now? I'm not even done with Frontier Village but I want to go to the tomb!

Also regarding gems. I'm currently using Strength on Reyn and Shulk...but what should Riki use? Also...Double Attack 4 is my favorite gem and I'm never gonna replace it.
    Until I get DA5 and 6!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Go to the tomb. You have time.

I gave Riki a bunch of Spike, just for fun.

• Options
    I think the general consensus on Riki is to go for an Ether-heavy spec, but I don't tend to give him much Hero Time so I'm kind of the wrong guy to give advice on the matter.
    And yeah, Quests. Pick up as many as you can in Alcamoth, try to do a few around the sea and then see if you can't access the ones that require you to head into the Tomb. You're probably going to have to go back there sooner or later anyway, but you get more "relevant" loot if you streamline it a bit and try to get a few Tomb quests done as soon as you access the area.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Alcamoth's timed quests:
    You have at least 5 whole areas ahead of you before the timer runs out on them. So you can take your time with them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Riki's absolute best moves aren't attacks but his best damage moves are all ether and he's the only one besides Sharla to have a group heal spell so...

• Options
    What I've been doing with Riki is just spamming every single one of his debuffs onto an enemy, then hitting them with Say Sorry for big damage.

But for all I know I could be doing it wrong.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nah, that works pretty damn well especially if you can get some rare debuffs from other people to show up. Also waiting to use Say Sorry until right before your big debuffs come back like Lurgy and Burninate to maximize damage. It can also do some serious damage at the end of a chain but that goes without saying.

There's also a hilarious end game build involving spiking with Riki is Angry, max spikes from gems and an ability in his 5th skill tree. You thought you had a problem with spikes just wait until some of the end game monsters start wailing on Riki.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Ah, spikes. The unique monsters in the final dungeon that topple spike topple were amusing.

How does spike resistance work against status spikes? Is it a percent chance to resist them, or something?

• Options
    Pretty sure you're immune to them if you get 100% spike defense but not if you don't. I just used debuff or daze/topple resist gems on them instead.

• Options
    Is there an easy way to reach 100%? There's 20% from a skill and 75% from a gem, is there a second skill around that I haven't noticed? I'd prefer not to have to slot two gems for it.

I could live with 5% damage from spikes and 5% chance of a status, but 100% status even with the resistance to damage is annoying.

• Options
    Melia and Dunban both have spike skills but they are expensive to double up on. Most people just take the damage and put in the right gem if the fight is really worrysome.

• Options
    Chen wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Chen who are the folks on the right half of your sig?

As has been said, it's the cast from The Last Story, the other RPG for the Wii. It should be out in NA on July 10th. It's not as ambitious as Xenoblade (the game takes around 25 hours to finish), but the cast is charming enough and they're British. No mascot character, but at least there's a resolution beyond a simple crush. Damn you Takahashi for denying me true love!

This reminds me of something with regards to Melia.

Late game/7th character spoilers
    I was much more interested in Melia's utter failure in romance because I, personally, couldn't help but wonder if her arc was designed as a cautionary tale to a probable subset of gamer nerd that plays these sort of games. The "Nice Guy" archetype. Her story arc is a nice little reminder that sitting on your feelings and acting like if you're just sort of a nice likeable person one day BAM ROMANCE WILL HAPPEN TO YOU but never make a move is a really, really terrible strategy.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    jothki wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to reach 100%? There's 20% from a skill and 75% from a gem, is there a second skill around that I haven't noticed? I'd prefer not to have to slot two gems for it.

I could live with 5% damage from spikes and 5% chance of a status, but 100% status even with the resistance to damage is annoying.

You can gem to 100%, can't you? when you equip a perfect gem it takes you to 75%, but it's not in green (so it's indicating that the ability isn't capped). Just gem an additional 25% and bam, spike immunity. But it's not necessary, really. 1 gem gets you 75% spike res, then slot a 100% debuff immunity gem and a 100% topple immunity gem. Bam, you take minimal spike damage (nothing a healer can't casually recover you from) and no status effects from topple can do anything to you. Win!

@Fiaryn: that's deep, dude. I think Melia needs to breed with her own race if she wants to keep her species alive in the long run, for reasons obvious if you've finished the game.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

You can gem to 100%, can't you? when you equip a perfect gem it takes you to 75%, but it's not in green (so it's indicating that the ability isn't capped). Just gem an additional 25% and bam, spike immunity. But it's not necessary, really. 1 gem gets you 75% spike res, then slot a 100% debuff immunity gem and a 100% topple immunity gem. Bam, you take minimal spike damage (nothing a healer can't casually recover you from) and no status effects from topple can do anything to you. Win!

@Fiaryn: that's deep, dude. I think Melia needs to breed with her own race if she wants to keep her species alive in the long run, for reasons obvious if you've finished the game.

I question the value of keeping Not Elves alive in the first place. Let the gene pool dwindle I say!

• Options
    Every time Melia (or someone talking to her) says that she's
    half-Homs

My knee-jerk reaction is always
    80% Homs, actually. Really, there's more Homs there than High Entia.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    half-Homs

80%? So that's, a Homs Parent, a Homs Parent, how would you even do that? Or did it involve genetic engineering?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    half-Homs

80%? So that's, a Homs Parent, a Homs Parent, how would you even do that? Or did it involve genetic engineering?

Actually, there are rumors that generic experiments were done...
    And there's a hidden lab in the tomb. Oooooooh.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Really huge plot spoilers:
    There's a few early hints about Melia's Homs heritage, and I believe it gets even more expanded later. The Entia experimented on themselves to incorporate as much Homs genetic material into their own DNA as possible so as to avoid their fate of becoming the slave-servants of the Bionis once more. The royal family in particular have for a long period of time undergone a bunch of changes to their genetic makeup, so it's entirely possible that Melias dad wasn't exactly a "pure-strain" in the first place. The machines in the tomb seemed really happy about the fact that Melia didn't have much High Entia left in her.

• Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I question the value of keeping Not Elves alive in the first place. Let the gene pool dwindle I say!

They're longer lived and can naturally use ether. It would be a shame to wipe that out.

• Options
    Plus: head-wings.

• Options
    Man, end game armor choice is brutal.

On the one hand: Stats.

On the other hand: Asthetics.

I'm tempted to just throw everybody but Reyn in light armor and be done with it.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I had Dunban in full rafagar and I thought he looked fabulous. THe Heirax light armour looks pretty boss on Melia and Shulk and well, pretty much anyone.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Melia is the only character that looks good in Lancelot.

• Options
    Right now I got Riki in Heirax (jungle look), and Dunban and Melia in Rondine (default character costume), as those are the only ones I think look good.

As far as medium goes, there's basically the high entia look of the Rafagar, or the general soldier-y look of the Lancelot. Shulk at least can pull off both well enough.

It's Sharla that's the outlier. Her skills give a bonus to medium armor, but she looks dumb in nearly every single one, though the Lancelot is the less dumb option. She can wear heavy, but everybody save Reyn and possibly Riki looks real dumb in it.

Man, never thought I'd give this much of a shit on clothes.

• Options
    Of course Melia looks good, she is a classy lady.

And everyone knows the only clothes Dun-Dun needs are his birthday suit and possibly a pair of shades.

• Options
    Well... thanks to the most fucking annoyingest fight ever!!!!... I think I actually stumbled onto a pretty peachy keen affinity farming spot for late game, at least 80+.
    There's a UM called Stormy Belagon at the most southern point in Eryth Sea. He has this utterly bullshit aura that causes sleep whenever you attack him, in addition to casting sleep and sealing your arts. So expect lots of snoring, and in general just sitting on your fucking ass being unable to do anything.

Thing is, he's actually not that difficult. He's a prick in that he would rather just sit there and do absolutely nothing while you sleep, so basically anybody can tank him. Bring Sharla for obvious healing, and any other two people. Then just hang back with the controlled character and wake up the other two. Which will be literally every second, and for 2 hearts a pop. I managed to max Riki's affinity with Dunban and Sharla in one fight after I clued in on this and just used Riki's dots and waking up Dunban, wittling the fucker down in the process. It would probably go even smoother if you loaded up on sleep resist gems on the controlled member, just so you definitely don't lose control.

God that was a fucking stupid fight. But at least some good came out of it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    That guy by the way can bring two characters from zero affinity to full affinity in about five minutes.

The secret to the person doing the waking is to hang back out of auto attack range. If you can't auto attack you can't get spiked.

Xenogears of Bore on