As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the good old GOG.com thread, go find the new GOG thread.com

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wow. They finally got the rights to sell Quest for Glory. My mind is blown. Getting it now.

I am debating on Wake. I do have the 360 version, but if I get American Nightmare, I might might as well do the 25% off deal and get the PC version of Wake.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    did anyone ever get a profile going for soul reaver pad support?
    Yep and yep.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Wow. They finally got the rights to sell Quest for Glory. My mind is blown. Getting it now.

I am debating on Wake. I do have the 360 version, but if I get American Nightmare, I might might as well do the 25% off deal and get the PC version of Wake.

I really want QFG.

I also have the boxed copy sitting right here next to me.

What is wrong with me?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    you star, you!.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I really want QFG.

What is wrong with me?

Split the difference and buy me a copy :mrgreen:

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DgnBiscuit wrote: »
    Children of the Nile plays really differentially than the Sierra series. It's good times though yeah. But the underlying systems work totally differently.

It get's boring *really* fast though. I have yet to see someone make a browser based strategy game for a massive audience that has more than about a hour's worth of playing value (as in, total time in game, not time spent waiting for shit to happen).

Oh yeah, the browser game. That was hell of lame.

I meant the original city builder they made before the browser game. At first glance it's a lot like Pharoah but the systems are different. No roads (or rather, roads are just decorative. people walk accross terrain as needed) is a big difference from the Sierra games. Also, there is no money. Food acts kind of like a currency. You don't manually create farms or resource buildings (like mines or woodcutters in Pharoah). When you make houses for farmers they go farm or shopkeepers go gather stuff they need (number of farmers is limited by how many nobles you have).

edit: Children of the NIle is also one of the most frequently put on sale things in Steam. Right now its $12 but can very often be had for $4.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

I really want QFG.

What is wrong with me?

Still, if you do not have the entire series, it will be worth it.

• Options
    Lots of QFG gushing, that good?

• Options

if you like any of the classic adventure games (Kings Quest, Space Quest, Maniac Mansion etc...) then definetly yes. Oh so very yes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

From what I understand

Take King's Quest. Add in RPG elements; combat, mana, hitpoints, and so on. Blend on high for 5 seconds.

Add a dash of foresight, so that the character you build can be exported, preserving items and stats.

The fact that so few games do that last thing, when it existed at the dawn of gaming, annoys me in ways I can't fully articulate.

• Options

I really want QFG.

What is wrong with me?

Still, if you do not have the entire series, it will be worth it.

No, I have the whole series, I just really want to support this. I own both Crusaders, Freespace 1 & 2, Heroes III, Arcanum, and all of the Wing Commander games too, but felt the need to buy them on GoG just to encourage further releases.

Also, DRM free. :)

• Options
    edited May 2012
    It is nice to have all the dosbox settings done and tweaked for you.

I had no end of trouble trying to get my old copy of Wing Commander 1 to work right. Even moreso for Dungeon Keeper. The GoG ones worked out of the box (though I did have to tinker with their sound settings for Wing Commander 1 and 2)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

From what I understand

Take King's Quest. Add in RPG elements; combat, mana, hitpoints, and so on. Blend on high for 5 seconds.

Add a dash of foresight, so that the character you build can be exported, preserving items and stats.

The fact that so few games do that last thing, when it existed at the dawn of gaming, annoys me in ways I can't fully articulate.
    Also, add content that diverges based on what character you play (Thief, Warrior/Paladin, Mage). There are multiple solutions to many of the problems based on your class choice. And add the humor from King's Quest and Space Quest as well (although a lot of the references now may be a bit dated).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    And awesome voice acting (including some hilarious deviations from the script and on-screen text) in QfG4.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Quest for Glory did Mass Effect twenty years before Mass Effect did it. Genre mash-up, the carrying-over of characters, wildly differently scenarios depending on play style... In later games I think there were even differences in what you could do, depending on whether you had a built-up character that went back to the first game, or if you had a vanilla character that you had just created.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vegan wrote: »
    Quest for Glory did Mass Effect twenty years before Mass Effect did it. Genre mash-up, the carrying-over of characters, wildly differently scenarios depending on play style... In later games I think there were even differences in what you could do, depending on whether you had a built-up character that went back to the first game, or if you had a vanilla character that you had just created.

Including only being able to make a Paladin if you imported from previous games.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Man, I used to play QFG4 all the time with my cousins. I'm buying this as soon as I get home from work.

edit: going to be a long 9 hours.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The series is like a merger between an adventure game and an RPG, where puzzles can be solved in different ways depending on class and play style. You make a character you can import throughout the entire series, NPCs from one game will show up in another, you have a fairly open approach to the world, etc. It's quite unlike most games and very good.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    And awesome voice acting (including some hilarious deviations from the script and on-screen text) in QfG4.

And John Rhys Davies!

I never did finish 4 or even get to 5. I got through the first 3, but ran out of steam partway into 4. I really should try them again, that was several years ago.

• Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    Sooo, lots of 1C games discounted this weekend. Both 'Kings Bounty: The Legend' and 'Fantasy Wars' intrigue me but I just can't see that they'd get any gametime infront of the other 36 titles in my unplayed back-catalogue...

UFO: Afterlight would definitely have been a contender if I hadn't just pledged to Xenonauts.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    King's Bounty is pretty awesome

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Thing is, it was easier to implement all that cool shit in QFG, because the games' system were simpler, and the cost of throwing extra content for each path was a lot smaller. Also, games were cheaper to make, thus could be aimed at a much "nicher" audience. People would bitch a lot if there was content in ME2 and 3 that was locked for people who didn't play the previous games, but back then that was cool to us.

Maybe this whole indie emergence in gaming could have some of those cool features back. they kinda fit the requirements.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I've just seen the price for Qfg.... Yeah it can wait.

• Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    King's Bounty is pretty awesome

That's good enough to push me over the edge. Purchased. Hell, I might even play it one day.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Working on Master of Orion 2 a little, and the "Enter Home Star Name" is confusing me. Last night, I used 14 characters, but today ... I've started 5 or 6 games, and (on some of them) the max is around 8, and (on others) it goes as high as 13.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

edit: and now the cap allows 14. This is very strange.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

10 bucks for 5 games too much?

QfG has been bought as hard as I could hit the confirm payment button.

It'll be time to quest down memory lane come my weekend.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

there's no nostalgia there for me, I've never played those games or even those types of games. Plus I went a bit berserk with transformers on steam and a bunch of Wii games AND theres dragons dogma coming out....... yeah it adds up.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

there's no nostalgia there for me, I've never played those games or even those types of games. Plus I went a bit berserk with transformers on steam and a bunch of Wii games AND theres dragons dogma coming out....... yeah it adds up.

I can relate, I picked it up because I was a Sierra freak back in the day.

And Dragon's Dogma is a very good reason to skip everything for the immediate future. I don't know how many times I've killed the Gryphon now but I still want more.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Technically 6 games

• Options
    Dammit carcass, quit it! I can't be buying every interesting thing.

• Options
    Working on Master of Orion 2 a little, and the "Enter Home Star Name" is confusing me. Last night, I used 14 characters, but today ... I've started 5 or 6 games, and (on some of them) the max is around 8, and (on others) it goes as high as 13.

Is it limited by pixel width rather than characters? EG: a "w" is a lot wider than an "i".

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Is it limited by pixel width rather than characters? EG: a "w" is a lot wider than an "i".

I don't believe so, as I was using the same name each time.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I might have to pick up Zeus and Poseidon. I loved what I've played of Ceasar III.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    I might have to pick up Zeus and Poseidon. I loved what I've played of Ceasar III.

Zeus is way slicker and easier to manage than Caesar III. It has the (absolutely vital) roadblocks added in Pharoah but also was the first game to have different zone designations for normal vs noble housing (instead of nobles growing out of base housing when it gets enough stuff).

And the biggest difference from Caesar 3 and Pharoah is that there is a global labor pool. Work buildings no longer have to pathfind to a house but instead just automaticially gain access to available labor. This means you no longer have the thing from C3 and Pharoah where you have 1 tiny shanty out next to all your farms / workshops.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    From these descriptions, I think I will pick up Zeus at some point; it seems like a good city builder.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Quest for Glory is the series that Fable wishes it was. It's so good I would easily drop $100 on a Kickstarter for a new game (and I haven't put anything into Kickstarter yet).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular

Pretty sure it limits you to a shorter name if there is a neighboring star pretty close and on the same level. Otherwise names would overlap.

• Options
    Nathrak wrote: »

Pretty sure it limits you to a shorter name if there is a neighboring star pretty close and on the same level. Otherwise names would overlap.

That would make the most sense. Thanks.

• Options
    did anyone ever get a profile going for soul reaver pad support?
    Yep and yep.

These worked good. So, so good. I'm using the pinnacle one and its near perfect. There's some funkiness with the lack of aiming, I can't seem to manually aim stuff, it just throws straight. Also, there needs to be a remake of this.

• Options
    KryntekKryntek Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    From these descriptions, I think I will pick up Zeus at some point; it seems like a good city builder.

Yeah, after Zeus and Emperor, I find Caesar 3 almost unplayable.