As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the good old GOG.com thread, go find the new GOG thread.com

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, thanks to Disney being all "Hey you know what? We like money!" after buying up Lucas, the next title to be added to GOG's lineup is Afterlife.

If anyone doesn't remember it, it's basically a Simcity/God game where instead of a city, you're building heaven and hell.

http://www.gog.com/news/release_afterlife
    Afterlife, a Lucasfilm god game, a GOG.com digital premiere, is available now for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux--DRM-free on GOG.com.

Afterlife is... a weird game. It's so many things at once, and a few brand new concepts to boot. The premise is an otherworldly twist on SimCity - you're in charge of supplying a satisfactory afterlife experience to the inhabitants of the Planet. The Planetfolk, called EMBOs (or Ethically Mature Biological Organisms) and their SOULs (Stuff of Unending Life) need to be fully supplied with all the pleasure or pain they've earned in life - that includes an absolutely divine final reward, or a sadistic punishment. With plenty of structures, a complex tenet system (watch out for those HOHORALFSUMAists!), and extremely detailed sim mechanics - Afterlife is a unique, satirical god game to die for.

The game includes the official Reference Guide, courtesy of our forum friend EnforcerSunWoo. (Thank you!)

Don't fear the reaper, fear the disco inferno in Afterlife, a digital premiere now DRM-free on GOG.com!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's as awesome as it's obtuse and boring.
    If only the gameplay was as good as the art and writing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    If you want to see what you're setting yourself for, LGR did a pretty good video review.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    If you want to see what you're setting yourself for, LGR did a pretty good video review.

Yeah, his opinion is right on the spot. I'm probably gonna buy it on GOG to mess around with it a bit, anyway.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Does Gog have Jedi Outcast/Academy yet? Last time I checked they didn't.

not yet, but i'd expect them to be added soon enough since the first 2 games in the series are on there now.

and, it looks like GOG are now allowing you reclaim select retail titles on the site by simply inputting the game key that came with the boxed copy. just a small list for now, but good news for those that don't want to buy again.

http://www.gog.com/reclaim
    We are giving you the unique opportunity to reclaim select titles‌ DRM-Free with all bonus goodies on GOG.com. All you need is an original game key from your boxed copy and you're good to go. Simple as that!

Pity that they don't accept Ubisoft games. I've got one or two that have DRM incompatible with every version of Windows since Vista. (They worked by instaling a CD-ROM driver that only worked with 98-XP).

I mean, I bought the Steam versions. But still.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So because of this Tower Sale thing they're doing on GOG, I now own all the D&D games, the Divinity series, the Mount & Blade series, the Gothic series, and a bunch of cyberpunk games.

It is a good sale, is what I'm saying.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Some more fantastic deals this weekend
    http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_weekend_mixer_240415

Picked up Ittle Dew for a song

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Star Wars, Nothing But Star Wars:
    - Jedi Outcast
    - Jedi Academy
    - Rebel Assault 1&2
    - X-Wing and Tie Fighter updated to include the Collector's CD-ROM content

Time for me to pull out the nostalgia goggles and turn on MST3K mode in Rebel Assault 2.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    So X-Wing and TIE-Fighter have Linux installers now.

Guess I better go find my wallet.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    well, that's a bit disappointing

I really only care about TIE Fighter, and neither have nor want to spend nearly $40 to pick up the bundle that includes it. And selecting just the game drops the price by a massive 10% ... or one dollar.

(also slightly miffed at the press release claiming that the games in that bundle are "up to 50% off" when none of them go past 25%, and the full discount is 37%. But that's marketing)

And I'd pick up the Saber Bundle, except I own most of them. Might pick up Dark Forces at half off...

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    GOG price adjusts their bundles for stuff you already own. The games you have are automatically removed from the bundle, leaving you with the stuff you don't have at the same discount.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I know

it's just that I don't own any of them through gog. Yet.

Tamin on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    GOG price adjusts their bundles for stuff you already own. The games you have are automatically removed from the bundle, leaving you with the stuff you don't have at the same discount.

The best thing ever in digital download gaming, and something steam needs to fucking man up and learn to do.

• Options
    though with steam, I think I'd prefer if copies of the games I already own dropped into the inventory, so I can gift them out.

• Options
    You can add games to your cart that you already own, but annoyingly you then have to gift out all items in your cart, instead of singling out just the items you want to gift. Doing it separately still gets you discount though, if for example, you own Syndicate Wars out the Syndicate Bundle and not Syndicate Plus, and you separately purchase Plus for yourself and Wars to a friend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I am really happy that GOG.com finally has the best versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter (although they haven't shown up in my library yet). I was always a little miffed that we got the worse DOS version or the inferior in many ways but newer CD Rom version. Now we truly have the best of both worlds. Or at least we will once they get added to my library. Hurry up GOG!

edit: I refreshed my account and now they are there. Yayyy.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Now I want a puppy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Now I want a puppy.

This is the only one they stock right now:

dogs-star-wars.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Now I want a puppy.

dogs-star-wars.jpg

Done and done.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Prepare your loins, a new release from Wadeye Jet Games is around the corner, and this time it's with a Deus Ex/Cyberpunk spin - TECHNOBABYLON
    The year 2087 is upon us — a future where genetic engineering is the norm, the addictive Trance has replaced almost any need for human interaction, and an omnipresent AI named Central powers the city. Its all-seeing CEL police force keeps tabs on everyone, including three people who are about to meet their maker.
    *Charlie Regis, an agent of the city’s all-seeing secret police, finds himself blackmailed with the lives of his unborn children. Pushed to the limits by his deceit and his past, how far is he willing to go to save his legacy?
    *Latha Sesame, a jobless agoraphobe addicted to the Trance, has become targeted for assassination. Without knowing who to trust, she must face the dangers of “meatspace” and survive a fate that has invisibly ruled her entire life.
    *Max Lao, a tech-savvy case officer who joined CEL to forget her criminal past. Now she finds herself torn between two loyalties. When she’s asked to apprehend her best friend and partner, she must choose to follow her friend or the law.
    As these three struggle to save themselves, they will soon discover a string of conspiracies that threatens not only their lives, but everything they think they know.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Prepare your loins, a new release from Wadeye Jet Games is around the corner, and this time it's with a Deus Ex/Cyberpunk spin - TECHNOBABYLON

Wadjet really does develop some games with spectacular visual style. This reminds me that I need to finish Gemini Rue

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You definitely do, the ending as I recall it was bloody good

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Does the X-Wing DOS CD edition just added to GOG work with KBAM? It's the Windows versions that require a joystick right?

What about TIE Fighter and Alliance?

I use a trackball, so I don't think KBAM will be totally horrible until I get a joystick.

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Now I want a puppy.

dogs-star-wars.jpg

:) my favorite part of this image is the dog's facial expression

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That armor's too thick for blasters! Launch the scooby snacks!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I have the GOG Galaxy alpha installed! I don't think I signed an NDA, either?

...it feels very Steam. Obviously it's alpha and a lot of the work is under the hood; multiplayer for old games and all that. But I guess I shouldn't be very surprised that the integration with the GOG store is so tight.

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    Does the X-Wing DOS CD edition just added to GOG work with KBAM? It's the Windows versions that require a joystick right?

What about TIE Fighter and Alliance?

I use a trackball, so I don't think KBAM will be totally horrible until I get a joystick.

The answer is yes, only the Windows version and XvT and XWA flat out require a joystick.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

...it feels very Steam. Obviously it's alpha and a lot of the work is under the hood; multiplayer for old games and all that. But I guess I shouldn't be very surprised that the integration with the GOG store is so tight.

There are still games on there that are unsupported, so a bunch can't even be downloaded through it which is super weird.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I want that!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Just downloaded Syndicate Wars through GOG Galaxy and had a bit of a go, so dosbox games work outta the box

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Frem wrote: »

Reminds me more of Origin.

Only more responsive and I actually have games on it. I like that instead of having to re-download GOG games I've previously installed, I can point it to where the games are installed and hit "import". It'll do a file comparison and then it's part of the client.

Very barebones at the moment, and it doesn't look like they've implemented any of the cross-platform stuff they're touting as of yet.

"Upcoming Features" (currently grayed out) lists:

- Game Auto-Updating
    - Achievements
    - Game Time Tracking
    - Friends and Chat
    - Notifications

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

subedii on
  • Options
    Just having a client for managing games and downloads is good enough news for me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Stormwatcher the GOG Galaxy client went into public beta today.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    And GOG is now also a retro publisher a la Night Dive Studio, releasing Pacific General and Fantasy General.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Did GoG fire their old marketing people? This announcement wasn't terrible!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    And GOG is now also a retro publisher a la Night Dive Studio, releasing Pacific General and Fantasy General.

Hopefully this means that the rest of the SSI back catalog will be coming to GOG sooner rather than later

Considering how well the Interplay- and Atari-published D&D games have done on GOG (even the shitty ones), here's hoping that they negotiate the license to the Gold Box games as well

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Did GoG fire their old marketing people? This announcement wasn't terrible!

I've gotta say I was a little disappointed.

• Options
    Fantasy General really just sounds like a hospital to me. Just, that's the immediate reaction I get to the name.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Catshade wrote: »

Hopefully this means that the rest of the SSI back catalog will be coming to GOG sooner rather than later

Considering how well the Interplay- and Atari-published D&D games have done on GOG (even the shitty ones), here's hoping that they negotiate the license to the Gold Box games as well

If the SSI catalog comes to GOG and doesn't include Chaos Gate, I will poop myself in disappointment.