As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thunder and [chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    English is actually my first language, which is a rather sorry state of affairs, yes.

You always write as if you are in the middle of a high-level academic conversation, whether you are or not. Your writing is great - clear, concise, accurate, pithy (in the formal sense), but your control of language (as we call it in the EFL biz) needs work.

But you aren't posting in PA to teach or please anyone but yourself, so fuck it, write in the way you feel comfortable. I know I do. My writing is random as fuck here.

Let's say I want to work on this. What would you recommend?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    When I'm not communicating the exact opposite of what I mean, I am communicating nothing.
    So that time you told me that you really liked me

Well if I was communicating nothing at the time then at the very least you can be agnostic towards my true feelings about you.

I
    don't want to feel feelings anymore

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I've been told that my written English is kind of weird and my spoken English truly suggests an ESL status

back in Singapore my English was regarded as fine, I don't know, maybe it's just a regional thing. An English teacher in the UK remarked to me that the students he got from Singapore had a tendency toward particular phrases in normal conversation that don't really occur that often elsewhere, like "per se". Never mind the colloquialisms, even the standard English seemed distinct.

Even highly-educated Singaporeans speak English with their own dialect. It's just perhaps the least-know dialect of English, and then it's Asian origin reduces the authority of the speakers, allowing listeners to dismiss regional features as mistakes. Speaker authority is one of the least-explored parts of EFL, I think.

And younger English teachers tend to not be aware of the wider variations of English that some people speak. Lots of people say 'per se' - they're just older, bookish, and educated or autodidacts.

That used to be one of my least favourite things about training EFL teachers actually - continually reminding them that they are not the only kind of native speaker there is.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    English is actually my first language, which is a rather sorry state of affairs, yes.

You always write as if you are in the middle of a high-level academic conversation, whether you are or not. Your writing is great - clear, concise, accurate, pithy (in the formal sense), but your control of language (as we call it in the EFL biz) needs work.

But you aren't posting in PA to teach or please anyone but yourself, so fuck it, write in the way you feel comfortable. I know I do. My writing is random as fuck here.

Don't change, that's what.

One of the things I love most about D&D is the posters that are legitimately interesting and challenging.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

Don't change, that's what.

One of the things I love most about D&D is the posters that are legitimately interesting and challenging.
    ronya you are literally the best poster in D&D

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    I've been told that my written English is kind of weird and my spoken English truly suggests an ESL status

back in Singapore my English was regarded as fine, I don't know, maybe it's just a regional thing. An English teacher in the UK remarked to me that the students he got from Singapore had a tendency toward particular phrases in normal conversation that don't really occur that often elsewhere, like "per se". Never mind the colloquialisms, even the standard English seemed distinct.

Even highly-educated Singaporeans speak English with their own dialect. It's just perhaps the least-know dialect of English, and then it's Asian origin reduces the authority of the speakers, allowing listeners to dismiss regional features as mistakes. Speaker authority is one of the least-explored parts of EFL, I think.

And younger English teachers tend to not be aware of the wider variations of English that some people speak. Lots of people say 'per se' - they're just older, bookish, and educated or autodidacts.

That used to be one of my least favourite things about training EFL teachers actually - continually reminding them that they are not the only kind of native speaker there is.

Just the only kind that matters :D

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I wouldn't say that a lot of people say "per se", per se.

• Options
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    There are always long-term benefits to being a member of that collectively acting group, is what you need to say.

Environmental protection laws make the environment cleaner for everyone, a group that includes --> them.

Military and police funding protect the property rights of everyone, a group that once again includes --> them.

I'm not convinced it's a bad argument unlikely to sway a pragmatic internet libertarian based on a perceived weakness of argument. If anything, it won't sway them because they are an internet libertarian.

Liberals do typically shy away from overt "it's for your own good" rhetoric, so this doesn't sit very well either.

Collective action gives you a minarchist state. The hurdle is justifying redistribution, I think.

Oh I see your point. If you can't get somebody on board with the idea of basic humanism and concern for others even as an innate form of selfishness, as in it can strengthen their own community (which can help them), or makes others indebted to them (which can help them down the road), then the argument re: internet libertarians is DOA. There's just nowhere to go with it.

If their zone of concern cannot be extended to people they may not know or to services they may not use then they're basically not even real citizens at that point. Citizens of just...the internet I guess. It is a puzzler.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    so since my ugly nest thing popped it's gotten smaller and less swollen. but it still looks really gross. the pain's receded and the size has receded so i figure it's the road to recovery. my aunt says i should go to the doctor anyway so i don't get my leg chopped off.

should i?

Lessee, unexplained, pusy growth on your leg that pops and oozes but still hurts?

Yeah, I'd go.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    so since my ugly nest thing popped it's gotten smaller and less swollen. but it still looks really gross. the pain's receded and the size has receded so i figure it's the road to recovery. my aunt says i should go to the doctor anyway so i don't get my leg chopped off.

should i?

• Options

I don't think you have to work on this unless you want to. PA is for your English as much as mine. But if you do for your professional/academic life, then simply try to control your language.

E.g. take something you would normally write and choose 5 radically different readers. Make the readers as detailed as you want - e.g. Martin, a kid from Toronto who loves sports and despite attending a good school, underachieves in his studies. Bob, a 40-year-old middle-class Welshman, widely travelled, now a middle-manager for an English power company. Whatever.

Then you take the same basic concept - e.g. one of the posts you've done today, or something simple like 'What was Keynes all about then?' and rewrite it for all your imaginary listeners.

I'm quite happy to help and give feedback - this is part of my job nowadays (high-level corporate EFL teaching)

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    @Pony You get cluster headaches? My girlfriend tells me that they can be sudden onset super-migraines that cause supreme, psyche-shattering agony. So, shitty deal, dude. I hope the neurologist can help with that.

yeah it happens

i had one on thursday, it felt like someone was driving a white-hot railroad spike in through my right eye socket and i was literally curled into the fetal position, teeth gritted and squealing in agony

when it relented mercifully after less than a minute i just started bawling, which is the first time i've cried from raw physical pain in years

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

should i?

Id go, make sure there si no underlying infection

• Options

hang out with me an surrealitycheck more

we give zero fucks, yo

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i always assumed English was ronya's second language as well

it's not that you make errors, it's just that you write in a very subtly non-idiomatic fashion

• Options

should i?

Let it heal over night, if it doesn't look much better in the morning then definitely go.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Collective action gives you a minarchist state. The hurdle is justifying redistribution, I think.

Not really. Redistribution is still Pareto.

It is true that most redistribution arguments are arguments to ethics, but its not true that its difficult to achieve it. For most people you simply have to ask yourself "which outcome is better all things equal" and they'll tend to go with the more equal distribution. At which point you have justified, so long as they understand the second welfare theorem, that redistribution is good.

The easiest way however is a simple appeal to public goods. Since we have a lot of problem defining "bads" in economics, we can think of a "bad" as the "lack of a good". So "lack of poverty" is our good, and the more "lack of poverty" [I.E. the less poverty] the better off we are. However, lack of poverty is a public good and is so under-consumed. Solution is redistribution, which is still Pareto*, and so we have collective action problems justifying the welfare state

*technically since we note that we are increasing the consumption of an under-consumed good we are actually increasing efficiency, but even if we do not assume that redistribution is Pareto.

edit: I always assumed that English was Ronya's first language. His* verbiage is just academic rather than colloquial

*Or is Ronya a gal, i do not remember.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

it's not that you make errors, it's just that you write in a very subtly non-idiomatic fashion

:shock:

This is going to plague my mind for months now, you realize

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i always assumed ronya was functionally retarded

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

You speak pretty, Ronya, don't let these jerks get you down.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

should i?

Lessee, unexplained, pusy growth on your leg that pops and oozes but still hurts?

Yeah, I'd go.

Yeah that word "pusy" can be a landmine.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the right spelling and I'm too scared to google it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

should i?

Yeah, I'd go.

Yeah that word "pusy" can be a landmine.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    d/w ronya my father trolled me by using a huge number of stupid latin things

i threw "mutatis mutandis" and "ceteris paribus" at my teachers at primary school and they looked at me like i had grown a third head

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Not really. Redistribution is still Pareto.

It is true that most redistribution arguments are arguments to ethics, but its not true that its difficult to achieve it. For most people you simply have to ask yourself "which outcome is better all things equal" and they'll tend to go with the more equal distribution. At which point you have justified, so long as they understand the second welfare theorem, that redistribution is good.

The easiest way however is a simple appeal to public goods. Since we have a lot of problem defining "bads" in economics, we can think of a "bad" as the "lack of a good". So "lack of poverty" is our good, and the more "lack of poverty" [I.E. the less poverty] the better off we are. However, lack of poverty is a public good and is so under-consumed. Solution is redistribution, which is still Pareto*, and so we have collective action problems justifying the welfare state

*technically since we note that we are increasing the consumption of an under-consumed good we are actually increasing efficiency, but even if we do not assume that redistribution is Pareto.

A great very many libertarians have an aversion to pure transfer taxes, I daresay, so they will not go with the more equal distribution. This is particularly likely if they perceive themselves in the wealthier group to begin with.

The poverty-as-a-collective-problem thing, okay, I can see how that might work. I think Herbert Gintis has something similar, guard labour and all.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

that was my assumption

ronya writes in a style indicative of a highly educated, intelligent person who learned english as a second language and tries to be very clear with it

the total lack of slang, idioms, or crude turns of phrase is probably what gave me the impression

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i assumed english was his second language because i think hes a dog

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

both people who said they thought you were speaking English as a second language are English language professionals too

just to

just dig it in a bit

• Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Just dont post unless you are crazy drunk. Maybe that will help.

• Options

I didn't think so, and your English is full of idioms. But those idioms are not young NA ones, that's all.

• Options
    i assumed english was his second language because i think hes a dog

this made me laugh out loud

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    A great very many libertarians have an aversion to pure transfer taxes, I daresay, so they will not go with the more equal distribution. This is particularly likely if they perceive themselves in the wealthier group to begin with.

Yes, but they're dumb.

^^ that is how we do language in 'Merica

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    talking of accents, I just replayed the first Gabriel Knight game tonight after syndalis's avatar put me in that mood, and wow, Tim Curry's "Cajun" is more like one of those Indiana Jones airplane lines, slowly curving from the mid-Atlantic to Virginia to Arkansas to Texas and then randomly back to the UK.

efrem zimbalist jr, by contrast, does a German accent through the simple expedient of changing "the" to "ze". It's cheesy and very Hogan's Heroes but it works.

the best job is probably done by Mark Hamill. the first time I played the game I didn't recognize him at all. Voice acting really is his calling, apparently.

and wow efrem zimbalist jr. is still alive holy shit

that guy was never not ancient

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Apparently there are still fans of Hanson. They put out their last album just two years ago.

• Options
    The word "labor" spelled like "labour" is a pretty big giveaway.

It will colour your perceptions, at least.

• Options
    Agent Olivia Dunham is apparently using an aimbot. She is, midway through season 2, running at about 80% headshots. That's out of all shots she's fired, not even all the shots that hit.

Every time some villain is about to escape, in a chase scene on foot or in a vehicle, she's just like NO FUCK THAT, HEADSHOT

and then she drops a guy

or three

with a 50 yard headshot with her fucking, glock or whatever

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Today, I learned that the therapist who was recommended by someone who has my insurance plan, isn't on my insurance plan. I also learned that my insurance company outsourced behavioral insurance to another company.

This discussion has been closed.