As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    No, that's Sega.

Sega is not known for making the best decisions lately. And by lately I mean the past twenty years.

For the last.. what, 5 years? Sega has been making spectacular decisions. Hell their recently 'loss' was almost 80% restructuring fees. Which basically means they looked ahead and thought, 'Yeah this isn't profitable in the long term' and tossed a bunch of money into the fire to burn off things that they decided wouldn't be profitable in the long run.

Hell, I think Sega is a prime example of how a company can make a great turn around.

Now if only Square Enix could maybe take a peek at their answer sheet or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    xTsF7.jpg

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/george-hotz-met-with-sony-engineers/095301
    In an extensive feature on the infamous George “Geohot” Hotz in The New Yorker, the renowned PS3 hacker has said that he has recently met with Sony engineers to discuss PS3 security.

What’s interesting about Geohotz is his ideology – he’s not a freedom crusader, he’s not looking to bring down ‘the system’. Instead, he describes himself simply as a bored youngster with an interest in tech.

So whereas militant groups such as Anonymous and LulzSec actively look to take “the fight” to “the man”, Hotz – who has worked for Google and Facebook – is happy to discuss his methods with anybody who wants to listen.

Including his ‘victims’.

In May 2011 Hotz was invited to Sony’s American HQ in Foster City, California.

“Nervous but curious, Hotz walked into the building eating from a box of Lucky Charms, dropping marshmallows across the lobby,” the site explains. He was greeted by a roomful of PS3 engineers who, in Hotz’ words, were “respectful” in their treatment of him.

“If there were going to be lawyers there I was going to be the biggest asshole ever,” he recalled.

"Oh, what? No, I'm just acting this way in case there's lawyers"

Alternative retort: dude must expect lawyers wherever he goes.

To be fair, lawyers really are everywhere, only you don't recognize them as lawyers outside of an office or courtroom.

I'm surprised at how civil Hotz and Sony are to one another. While I get how Sony would be willing to bury their grudge if they could get something out of it, you'd think Hotz would harbor some resentment after Sony repeatedly invaded his privacy and the privacy of his audience. Sony demanded that YouTube hand over IP addresses and personal information of the viewers of Hotz' YouTube videos and they got Paypal to grant them access to Hotz' account. That's seriously uncool.

Hotz found a chink in Sony's armor and and in response Sony nuked the entire continent from orbit.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    It's true, you can't sue a guy holding Lucky Charms. It's in the constitution.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Zhvhs.jpg

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Hotz found a chink in Sony's armor and and in response Sony nuked the entire continent from orbit.

Be careful how you use that term these days, it can get you labeled a racist.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular

Maybe for you, but my people have appropriated that term.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

diverge/
    If you use it in reference to someone of Chinese descent, yeah.

Alternatively, you can take three seconds and come up with a headline that's not horribly offensive.

Hard, I know.
    /diverge

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wiiware-sales-are-almost-non-existent/095309

“The WiiWare market has a fraction of the players from 2008,” Nicalis founder Tyrone Rodriguez told GoNintendo.

“The window for release and success of software on the platform ended in 2009 and took a very steep decline. Players have moved onto other digital download platforms.

“La-Mulana was originally developed without DLC in mind and, I think being their first console project, that NIGORO got a bit ahead of themselves and spent two years agonizing on getting the DLC sort of working for Japan. Unfortunately, it never passed Nintendo’s submission process in the US or EU with DLC in place.

“With the Wii U in the not too distant future and WiiWare sales almost non-existent, I had to make a call today.”
    Nintendo did a really poor job of encouraging that shit, though I think XBLA is having some problems going by bad comparisons of XBLA to Steam.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Actually I've heard that XBLA is doing a pretty good job of attracting players/buyers, much moreso than on PSN. We hate those ads, but they seem to be having an effect.

At any rate. Crossposting this from the 3DS thread since this topic always sparks discussion here:

http://news.yahoo.com/wii-u-virtual-console-gamecube-games-says-nintendo-144430015.html
    Nintendo has been vague about how much internal storage the Wii U will have, but it might be a bit more than we think. Two days ago, NintendoGal, a long running Nintendo fansite, interviewed Amber McCollom, Nintendo of America’s director of entertainment & trend marketing. Much of the interview delves into McCollom’s role in NoA, but some new information about the Wii online store slipped out toward the end of the very late E3 interview. We’ve included quotes on three different topics below.

GameCube on Wii U
    In particular, it appears that, while the Wii U does not appear to play 8cm GameCube optical discs or have GameCube controller ports, as the Wii did, it may play GameCube games after all. McCollum explains that Nintendo usually (and by usually, she means just once before) only supports one system before. As such, the Wii U will be able to play Wii games, but not GameCube.

“You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system,” said McCollom. “The Wii was compatible with GameCube and Wii U will be compatible with Wii and that’s pretty traditional in launches from Nintendo. … the GameCube discs will not be compatible with Wii U, but a number of the games that were playable on GameCube can be downloaded from WiiWare.”

GameCube optical discs hold 1.5GB of data and many games for the system used most or all of that storage. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles downloads that large. We hope the answer isn’t simply bigger SD cards, but it could be. McCollum also mentions WiiWare, but we believe she means Virtual Console, which is a subset of the Wii Shop Channel.

Hm. On the one hand, it sucks that you can't just pop in the Gamecube disks since the Wii U uses basically the same architecture. On the other, GC BC is a little more complicated/expensive for Nintendo, since it would involve physically building in controller and memory card ports. So I dunno.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Actually I've heard that XBLA is doing a pretty good job of attracting players/buyers, much moreso than on PSN. We hate those ads, but they seem to be having an effect.

At any rate. Crossposting this from the 3DS thread since this topic always sparks discussion here:

http://news.yahoo.com/wii-u-virtual-console-gamecube-games-says-nintendo-144430015.html
    Nintendo has been vague about how much internal storage the Wii U will have, but it might be a bit more than we think. Two days ago, NintendoGal, a long running Nintendo fansite, interviewed Amber McCollom, Nintendo of America’s director of entertainment & trend marketing. Much of the interview delves into McCollom’s role in NoA, but some new information about the Wii online store slipped out toward the end of the very late E3 interview. We’ve included quotes on three different topics below.

GameCube on Wii U
    In particular, it appears that, while the Wii U does not appear to play 8cm GameCube optical discs or have GameCube controller ports, as the Wii did, it may play GameCube games after all. McCollum explains that Nintendo usually (and by usually, she means just once before) only supports one system before. As such, the Wii U will be able to play Wii games, but not GameCube.

“You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system,” said McCollom. “The Wii was compatible with GameCube and Wii U will be compatible with Wii and that’s pretty traditional in launches from Nintendo. … the GameCube discs will not be compatible with Wii U, but a number of the games that were playable on GameCube can be downloaded from WiiWare.”

GameCube optical discs hold 1.5GB of data and many games for the system used most or all of that storage. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles downloads that large. We hope the answer isn’t simply bigger SD cards, but it could be. McCollum also mentions WiiWare, but we believe she means Virtual Console, which is a subset of the Wii Shop Channel.

Hm. On the one hand, it sucks that you can't just pop in the Gamecube disks since the Wii U uses basically the same architecture. On the other, GC BC is a little more complicated/expensive for Nintendo, since it would involve physically building in controller and memory card ports. So I dunno.

As the person who posted this in the 3DS thread, I think I should mention that the story is almost a year old. Doesn't mean that the information is wrong or out of date, but we all know how things can change.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

GameCube on Wii U

As the person who posted this in the 3DS thread, I think I should mention that the story is almost a year old. Doesn't mean that the information is wrong or out of date, but we all know how things can change.

Ooooooh, gotcha. I was wondering why you didn't post that here. :P

• Options

GameCube on Wii U

Ooooooh, gotcha. I was wondering why you didn't post that here. :P

Hopefully Nintendo will give us some information at E3 about the Wii-U eShop and what we can actually expect.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Turnover at Sega.
    Sega's European and US CEO Mike Hayes is to leave the company later this year, with Euro duties being handed to Jurgen Post, current chief operating officer of the region. Update: Sega has clarified that in the US, "Masanao Maeda has been the COO for a number of years already and that has not changed," so Post and Maeda will oversee the respective territories.

Hayes joined Sega in 2004 and was involved in the acquisitions of Sports Interactive and The Creative Assembly as well as shifting the publisher into digital markets.

"Mike has achieved a huge amount during his time at Sega and we thank him for the amazing things he has accomplished," said Naoya Tsurumi, president and representative director of Sega.

"Mike is a great character and very passionate about the industry, he helped steer the extraordinary growth of Sega and has built an exceptional team of professionals that will stand us in good stead for the future."

Hayes will take on exec and non-exec roles in and around the industry whilst remaining in an advisory role with the Sonic publisher.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-30-segas-mike-hayes-steps-down

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I just hope the WiiU shop uses real money like the 3DS eShop does. Though I also wish they'd make a way to convert points to money so I can spend old points on the eShop 3D titles.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I just hope the WiiU shop uses real money like the 3DS eShop does. Though I also wish they'd make a way to convert points to money so I can spend old points on the eShop 3D titles.

Why wouldn't it use real money?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

I can't think of a reason, but they didn't really have a reason to use points on the WiiWare/VC shop either but they did. Only thing I can think of is to try and cut down credit card/processing fees, but maybe with the 3DS eShop they've already found a way to do that since they now allow you to add "required" funds instead of set amounts.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

I can't think of a reason, but they didn't really have a reason to use points on the WiiWare/VC shop either but they did. Only thing I can think of is to try and cut down credit card/processing fees, but maybe with the 3DS eShop they've already found a way to do that since they now allow you to add "required" funds instead of set amounts.

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't just copy the structure of the 3DS eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

If it's similar to how the PS3 does things, they've likely gotten around it by requiring a minimum purchase. When I tried to make a $2.99 purchase on PSN, it said I had to spend at least $5, so now I'm sitting on a $2.01 credit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    acZEd.jpg

HMMMM.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well, it's an EA game that requires server space.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Does that mean the game stop functioning completely? That was a $10 game when it launched and still costs $5.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.rockbandaide.com/16083/rock-band-ios-app-no-longer-playable-after-may-31/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rock-band-ios-app-no-longer-playable-after-may-31
    While the recent news about the DLC outage finally ending for all users, it looks like another form of Rock Band may be coming to a more permanent end in the near future. It recently came to our attention that the Rock Band iOS app will “no longer be playable” after May 31st, according to an in-game pop up message when loading the app (see below).

pic-e1335904815313.png

Despite the impending fate of the app, there are no indications that a similar situation will be occurring with the more recent Rock Band Reloaded app. We’ve reached out to @EAMobile, the developer for the app, to comment on why the game is going away. We have a few theories, but would still like a clear and official explanation from them.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

GameCube on Wii U

Would is really, though?

The WiiU has the entire controller interface necessary. Thumbsticks, buttons, joypad, shoulder buttons, all there already. Sure, stuff would play different thanks to differences in the layout of the new controller, but it would be very doable and adaptable.

If the system has built-in storage, Nintendo could just as easily sell a 'Gamecube App' that would allow a Gamecube disc to be played on the system and see the hard drive storage as a reeeeeeally big memory card with a hell of a lot of storage cubes inside it.

Frankly, I'm just glad to hear the internal storage is assumed to be enough to allow Gamecube downloads to exist at all. Not that there's a whole of of Gamecube stuff I'm holding out for on the WiiU or anything, but...kinda opens up the possibilities of what else can be downloaded onto the thing.

• Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    http://www.rockbandaide.com/16083/rock-band-ios-app-no-longer-playable-after-may-31/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rock-band-ios-app-no-longer-playable-after-may-31
    While the recent news about the DLC outage finally ending for all users, it looks like another form of Rock Band may be coming to a more permanent end in the near future. It recently came to our attention that the Rock Band iOS app will “no longer be playable” after May 31st, according to an in-game pop up message when loading the app (see below).

pic-e1335904815313.png

Despite the impending fate of the app, there are no indications that a similar situation will be occurring with the more recent Rock Band Reloaded app. We’ve reached out to @EAMobile, the developer for the app, to comment on why the game is going away. We have a few theories, but would still like a clear and official explanation from them.

If that's accurate (and not some sort of miscommunication between what was to be told and what a coder wrote in the message) then that's pretty much the worst-case-scenario that anti-drm people have been saying forever: They can remotely switch off the game you paid for.

I can imagine EA's explanation: "It's ok, buried in the EULA in the 3rd option screen there's a note that you just rented the game and content until May 2012. So you see everything's fine and working correctly!"

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Frankly, I'm just glad to hear the internal storage is assumed to be enough to allow Gamecube downloads to exist at all. Not that there's a whole of of Gamecube stuff I'm holding out for on the WiiU or anything, but...kinda opens up the possibilities of what else can be downloaded onto the thing.

Try full games.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29983
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 won't just be coming to retail stores in August, it will also be coming to the eShop as a download. Additionally, the ability to download full games will be available at the launch of the Wii U. The news came out of Nintendo's end-of-the-year investors' meeting in Japan.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    Hoooooly dicks.
    An extraordinary ruling declared today in a Mannheim court has resulted in a ban on selling Xbox 360 consoles throughout Germany.

Microsoft will no longer be able to distribute the console to retailers, and may be forced to recall systems sitting on shop shelves and have them destroyed.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Hoooooly dicks.
    An extraordinary ruling declared today in a Mannheim court has resulted in a ban on selling Xbox 360 consoles throughout Germany.

Microsoft will no longer be able to distribute the console to retailers, and may be forced to recall systems sitting on shop shelves and have them destroyed.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Patent trolling hits a new high/low!

An actual news article with more details is a bit less shocking for now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17924190
    A US court has banned Motorola from enforcing the action until it considers the matter next week.

"Motorola is prohibited from acting on today's decision, and our business in Germany will continue as usual while we appeal this decision and pursue the fundamental issue of Motorola's broken promise."

For the moment business continues as usual in the high street.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Patent trolling hits a new high/low!

It's Motorola, they're hardly a small-time outfit with a flimsy claim to a patent. My reading of it was that Microsoft use the H.264 codec on the 360 and in Windows, which Motorola own, under some kind of agreement that both parties seemed cool with, but then Motorola went back on their side and are asking for more money or for MS to stop using it. So now we have this legal dispute.

I am probably entirely wrong.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    How can a US court tell someone not to act on the ruling of a German court?

• Options
    The joys of multinational businesses I guess. Because in the end, nobody wins apart from the lawyers.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »

In a similar fashion to a Brit being extradited to the US for breaking US law while living in the UK?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

In a similar fashion to a Brit being extradited to the US for breaking US law while living in the UK?

Oh, cunts.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I always find stats like this interesting.

Similarly, the info that was released about player statistics for Mass Effect 2 (most commonly played class, gender, whether players made a new appearance or used the default one, etc), and those for global achievements found on Steam. A surprising number of players never even start up their games, and it's always interesting to see the drop off as progressive/chapter achievements go on, indicating a large percentage of players don't actually finish them.

... I can think of at least one big name where I'm guilty of this. Really should pick that back up in the next two weeks before Diablo 3 swallows my soul.

Why should that be surprising? Especially with Steam? I know a few people, and see many here, who just buy the next thing on offer and never really get around to finishing what they already have. If you buy five games instead of two, and at the same time always return to that previously favoured game, then it just gets harder and harder to finish anything that requires time commitment.

Maybe they have a family, maybe their job takes up too much of their time, maybe they're just lazy when it comes to playing games, but the idea that people buy things they probably don't need (especially through Steam) and then never get around to it shouldn't ever be surprising to any of us.

Ey, I'll be surprised by whatever the hell I want! >.<

More seriously, note that I used 'interesting' more often in there. As in, it's interesting how player dropoff occurs throughout a game, and how companies like Blizzard, Valve and whatnot strive to combat it. Presumably, someone who didn't feel your game was enjoyable enough to finish won't be as inclined to rush out and buy the next one (in the series or that you produce in general).

And as noted, I'm well aware of the time constraints found these days, there just aren't enough hours to catch up on the half dozen tv series everyone says I totally need to watch, and play all the games on my Steam account, and catch up on my reading, and work, and find a few hours for, y'know, sleep. That doesn't make me any less intrigued how you'll see 80% of players get the 'players first achievement, put it in bronze!', then 60% get the act 2 achievement, then 45% get the act 3 achievement, etc, until you're down to 1/4-1/5 or less who actually finish the game, even on easy or normal.

I'm not challenging that there aren't a nigh-insurmountable number of things to do with one's day.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Maybe for you, but my people have appropriated that term.

God dammit.

Dr. Pepper is all over my monitor now.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So is La Mulana not coming out for the Wii in the US then?

Cause that was pretty much the only reason I had a Wii for a while.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/40669/Draw-Something-popularity-in-steep-decline
    Data suggests the app's daily usage falls by five million, or 33%, in single month

Mobile games sensation Draw Something has lost about five million daily active users in a single month, and is steadily dropping down the App Store charts on both iPhone and iPad, collected data suggests.

Developed by New York studio Omgpop, Draw Something was the catalyst in a rapid $210 million company acquisition made by social games titan Zynga in March.

It is believed that Zynga managed to outbid Disney, Gree, Dena and EA to secure ownership of the studio and its lucrative IP.

But the game’s daily active users (DAU), which peaked at about 15 million in April, has fallen to around 10 million some thirty days later, according to analyst group App Data.

At the time of going to press, The iPhone App Store puts Draw Something in fourth on the All Paid Apps chart, sixth on All Top Free, and fourth on All Top Grossing – three categories which it had topped comfortably a few weeks ago.

3715_DrawSomethingDAU.png
    Haha

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Well, duh. They forgot to put out Draw Something Rio and Draw Something Space.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/40669/Draw-Something-popularity-in-steep-decline
    Data suggests the app's daily usage falls by five million, or 33%, in single month

Mobile games sensation Draw Something has lost about five million daily active users in a single month, and is steadily dropping down the App Store charts on both iPhone and iPad, collected data suggests.

Developed by New York studio Omgpop, Draw Something was the catalyst in a rapid $210 million company acquisition made by social games titan Zynga in March.

It is believed that Zynga managed to outbid Disney, Gree, Dena and EA to secure ownership of the studio and its lucrative IP.

But the game’s daily active users (DAU), which peaked at about 15 million in April, has fallen to around 10 million some thirty days later, according to analyst group App Data.

At the time of going to press, The iPhone App Store puts Draw Something in fourth on the All Paid Apps chart, sixth on All Top Free, and fourth on All Top Grossing – three categories which it had topped comfortably a few weeks ago.

3715_DrawSomethingDAU.png
    Haha

Hey, Zynga, nice purchase!
    hawkseattest.jpg

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    You know, 10 million is still a lot of users.

I'm not saying the buyout wasn't ridiculously overpriced, but even if they settled at a fifth of their current users that's still a lucratively large audience.

MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.