As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    i-wLFp3wz-X3.jpg

False equality seems to be Penny Arcade's kryptonite of late. They simply don't understand things sometimes.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    My final piece on mortal kombat, then I'll drop it. The entire "it looks so bad" argument is this right here:

The story mode is done through FMV of the console versions. However, the final person who speaks in each cutscene is done in-engine, because it segues smoothly from the cutscene directly into the fight. That last word is almost always a single line - sometimes even less. In the below example, after timing it, the scene is 1.5 seconds long, with scorpion saying "You have already lost."

Vita:
    6P5YB.jpg

console:
    8Ur2N.png

After that, the camera zooms out and you have 60 fps gameplay. This is the difference between the two:

vita:
    MortalKombat-Vita-04.jpg

console:
    MK9_360_CyraxNet-BellTower_High--article_image.jpg

If that tiny second and a half difference is enough to call a port terrible, despite having everything the console version has, plus an entire second game's worth of content, then you're putting too much emphasis on graphics.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Apparently Beyoncé can tell when a game's going to be crap just like the rest of us.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/beyonce_joystuck_VYFXLOXuSJMp3FBR5MQI3O
    New mom Beyoncé may soon be singing again — but this time, it’ll be under oath.

The superstar is expected to be grilled by lawyers for a video-game developer by late summer because a Manhattan judge has given the company’s $100 million lawsuit against her the green light, The Post has learned.

Justice Charles Ramos’ ruling came after he learned lawyers for the “Single Ladies” singer were actively working on a $20 million deal with the company, Gate Five, before abruptly backing out.

“You continue to negotiate right up until the time you pull the plug. That is not going to work with me,” Ramos told Beyoncé’s lawyers.

Beyoncé’s team contended, though, that they were within their rights to walk away from the deal for a game called “Starpower: Beyoncé” because Gate Five didn’t have its financing in place.

Gate Five said it was scheduled to sign a deal with its financier on Dec. 6, 2010, and claimed Beyoncé knew that when she sashayed away from the agreement on Dec. 3.

The game was scuttled and the company laid off 70 employees. Ramos said Beyoncé should have given Gate Five notice that she would walk.

Gate Five lawyer Peter Gallagher said he’s “pleased” with the ruling.

Beyoncé’s lawyer declined to comment.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Mortal Kombat is a piece of shit port with low PSP level graphics compared to the amazing 90-95% par UMvC3 and Blazblue: CSExtend ports.

ITT graphics whores

It shouldn' be held to the exact same standards of every single competitor in the same genre on the system?

Capcom and Ark System Works have ha no problems releasing PS360 level content on the platform in graphics, features, and framerate. Why should NetherRealm get a pass when they fall comically short?

Because while the graphics might be subpar, the important part - the GAMEPLAY - is MORE than what the consoles have to offer.

You said it's a "piece of shit port." Explain why, without mentioning graphics once.

Arguably, a port should represent the best of the original product. This can include graphics. I'm not sure it's out-of-line to decry a port because it doesn't match one aspect of the original product, when similar products have been of better quality.

That said, I can't speak on MK Vita, as I haven't paid any attention to the game.

The best part of MK is not the graphics. It never was. The best part is the gameplay, and the MK Vita port has everything from the console version, and more. It has every single feature from it's big brother, plus an entire vita-exclusive campaign that is just as long as the console content. It's literally twice the game that the console version is.

The only thing that is worse than the console version is that the graphics are worse when zoomed in. So, you know, the 5 second cutscene before fights. What else do you call someone who calls such an awesome port, "a piece of shit" when the only thing worse is a couple of 5 second cutscenes having poorer models?

The actual game part of MK Vita is well above UMvC3. And I have both, on both the PS3 and the Vita.

"The best of" does not have to be a single thing. The best of the Uncharted series includes the graphics, characters, and set pieces. It's the entire package, and many have praised the graphics of the original, including the well-implemented combat damage and x-ray moves.

http://www.giantbomb.com/mortal-kombat/61-25042/reviews/
    Visually, the game is a big step up from the last Mortal Kombat game, with far more detailed characters and backgrounds. If I had to guess, I'd say that locking down the perspective to a fixed 2D battle helps make this possible, and there's a great amount of detail to be found in the graphics. As in the previous game, the characters' costumes get torn up over the course of a battle, resulting in bloody scrapes and cuts in the sides of faces, ripped clothes and masks, and so on. It's a great effect that looks even cooler when the fighters are also covered in blood at the end of a fight. It's pretty extreme and, well, pretty funny, too. Maybe I just have a weird sense of humor.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/mortal_kombat/b/xbox360/archive/2011/04/19/much-more-than-a-classic-revival.aspx
    Characters get shredded up in more ways than just fatalities. As matches unfold, characters will bruise and bleed, and their outfits sustain damage beyond a tailor’s repair. Most of the stages also offer scenic views of Earthrealm being destroyed or the sick machinations occurring in Outworld. You have to take your eye off the fight to appreciate the amount of action occurring in the backgrounds; you’ll see dragons battling helicopters, snakes slithering down trees, and other combatants locked in battles in the distance. I’ve always loved the way this series has looked, whether it was the digitized actors or exploding polygonal characters who showered far too many rib cages onto the playing surface. This game eschews that kind of zaniness, however, and is downright gorgeous. In a split second, it can wipe the look of awe off of your face with a gruesome bone snap.

Again, I'm not sure why someone having a problem with the down-graded graphics of a port is a problem. I'm not necessarily speaking on this specific game, merely your contention that graphics aren't a part of the experience, and therefore should be an ignored aspect of a port.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    i-wLFp3wz-X3.jpg

False equality seems to be Penny Arcade's kryptonite of late. They simply don't understand things sometimes.

I'm sure everybody here is totally above that sort of thing whenever the premise of in-game ads pops up.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think the biggest problem people were having with the PS Vita port of MK is that the marketing and even some of the reviews were using screenshots of the console versions to make the game look better than it actually is. It's difficult to tell just how good or poor it looks unless you're actually playing it since a lot of the "Vita" screenshots online are actually of the PS3/360 version. It's hard to not feel lied to.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It's also a better fit for Vita's control scheme and marks the second surprisingly good portable version of MK. UMK3 on the DS was also shockingly good and made in an era when we thought good MK was doomed.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It's also a better fit for Vita's control scheme and marks the second surprisingly good portable version of MK. UMK3 on the DS was also shockingly good and made in an era when we thought good MK was doomed.

Didn't hurt that UMK was just an awesome game to begin with.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Apparently Beyoncé can tell when a game's going to be crap just like the rest of us.

The superstar is expected to be grilled by lawyers for a video-game developer by late summer because a Manhattan judge has given the company’s $100 million lawsuit against her the green light, The Post has learned.

Justice Charles Ramos’ ruling came after he learned lawyers for the “Single Ladies” singer were actively working on a $20 million deal with the company, Gate Five, before abruptly backing out.

“You continue to negotiate right up until the time you pull the plug. That is not going to work with me,” Ramos told Beyoncé’s lawyers.

Beyoncé’s team contended, though, that they were within their rights to walk away from the deal for a game called “Starpower: Beyoncé” because Gate Five didn’t have its financing in place.

Gate Five said it was scheduled to sign a deal with its financier on Dec. 6, 2010, and claimed Beyoncé knew that when she sashayed away from the agreement on Dec. 3.

The game was scuttled and the company laid off 70 employees. Ramos said Beyoncé should have given Gate Five notice that she would walk.

Contracts are an odd area of the law.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I am really impressed by the new MK and the port seems great . But what the hell are they supposed to do with the Vita? Everything I read about it spells bad news.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    I am really impressed by the new MK and the port seems great . But what the hell are they supposed to do with the Vita? Everything I read about it spells bad news.

Give em away and double the price of games.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

So everybody has a Vita and still no games to play on it?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Contracts are an odd area of the law.

In that even when they're breached by the mega-corp, the corp can still get away with it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Heh, the Vita probably has more big games I want to get this year than any other platform besides the PC. Gravity Daze & the enhanced version of Persona 4 (quite possibly my favorite RPG of all time) are at the top of my list, followed closely by Sound Shapes. Top that off with some of the games that have already come out like Lumines, Motorstorm RC, and portable versions of BlazBlue & Rayman Origins, and I can't wait to pick up a Vita (just gotta release Rain-Slick 3 first so I can justify the money).

However, based on Vita sales so far, obviously I'm alone on this. The system needs more games with more widespread appeal. A price drop (or at least a nice system bundle) would also do wonders.

On the 3DS front, there's not much of anything that interests me other than RE so I'm thinking it might be wiser to pick up a DSi (recent price drop) and just wait for the inevitable 3DS mark 2 (with the hope that by the time it comes out, there will be more games for the system). Now if I was fluent in Japanese and lived in Japan, the 3DS would be much more attractive, but for some reason, no one's really working very hard to bring those games over here.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Hey, it worked with the PSP! ...not really.

I do wonder what it means that Uncharted Vita couldn't even crack 200k when Uncharted 3 sold through the roof. No advertising for the game, compared to loads of advertising for U3? Bad word of mouth from the gimmicky control parts? People still satiated by the release of U3 just a few months prior? Or just a general feeling of "meh" toward the Vita itself?

Ah well. If nothing else this just shows (again) that success on the console end doesn't always translate to success on the portable end.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-10-prototype-2-pips-kinect-star-wars-to-top-of-april-us-chart
    UPDATE: A snippet of extra data for you - NPD told Eurogamer that Kid Icarus: Uprising sold 83,000 copies during April.
    Vita sold less than 83k.

• Options

I do wonder what it means that Uncharted Vita couldn't even crack 200k when Uncharted 3 sold through the roof. No advertising for the game, compared to loads of advertising for U3? Bad word of mouth from the gimmicky control parts? People still satiated by the release of U3 just a few months prior? Or just a general feeling of "meh" toward the Vita itself?

Ah well. If nothing else this just shows (again) that success on the console end doesn't always translate to success on the portable end.
    Shit sales of the console man shit sales of the game. It is still the best selling PSP game in the USA. When you are selling less than a console on its last legs, something is very wrong.

• Options

Is it that surprising though? If say Uncharted Vita sold 150k in the US and there's only like 600k Vita units in the US to begin with that means that 1 in 4 Vita owners bought the game. That's an extremely high attach ratio.

Personally, I'm not particularly interested in the game because everything I've seen of it makes it feel like Uncharted 1 Portable Edition. But the series was just a better than average Tomb Raider clone back when Uncharted 1 came out - Uncharted 2 was when the series really came into its own.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Vita sold less than 83k.

disneycharacterwithhisjawdroppedindespair.jpg

Great fuck, we've gone from a problem to a full-blown crisis.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Vita sold less than 83k.

There were printed direct market comic books - a definitely in crisis industry - that sold more than that last month. (Avengers vs X-Men #1, for example.)

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Adjusted by population the Vita seems to be doing just about as well in the US as it is in Japan.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It reminds me of when the PS3 was being outsold by the GBA.
    Adjusted by population the Vita seems to be doing just about as well in the US as it is in Japan.
    Assuming about 80k sales and unjustifiably assuming even sales for each week of the month, that comes out to about 20k a week. The Vita has been selling a bit above 10k a week for a while. 311 million people in the USA v. 128 million in Japan. So it is actually worse for this month.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Vita sold less than 83k.

There were printed direct market comic books - a definitely in crisis industry - that sold more than that last month. (Avengers vs X-Men #1, for example.)

I'd love for someone to ask Sony how they feel to be underperforming in an industry that's growing worse than an industry that's shrinking.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    it's okay guys they've got a 10 year plan

2013: year of the PSVita

• Options
    it's okay guys they've got a 10 year plan

2022: year of the PSVita

Fixed that for you. Meanwhile, we're still a few years off from the year of the PS3. 2016.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    You mean we haven't gotten a black board of what will save the Vita yet?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Cade wrote: »

Supposedly Uncharted was going to give it a massive sales boost, but that sure didn't work. Now some people are pegging it on Soul Sacrifice, or at least the ones who aren't grossed out by throwing your own body parts at enemies. And there's the hope for a Monster Hunter.

...there's a reason I keep saying Sony needs to pull a rabbit out of their hats at E3.

cloudeagle on
  • Options

Supposedly Uncharted was going to give it a massive sales boost, but that sure didn't work. Now some people are pegging it on Soul Sacrifice, or at least the ones who aren't grossed out by throwing your own body parts at enemies. And there's the hope for a Monster Hunter.

Should I prep some "Monster Hunter died for our sins" photoshops?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

This sounds awfully similar to the PS3's early days, and how everybody was saying to wait until Lair/MGS4/FF XIII/ect., then the sales will shoot through the roof.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

This sounds awfully similar to the PS3's early days, and how everybody was saying to wait until Lair/MGS4/FF XIII/ect., then the sales will shoot through the roof.

...though this time we don't even have a solid FFXIII to wait for. At least not yet.

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular

I thought the PS3 sold well at launch. It seemed to have sold out in most places and scalpers had them up on ebay for astronomical prices.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    In defense of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, for every part that's not gyro balancing (whoever decided on that mechanic should be fired), it's a better game than Uncharted 3 no question (in gameplay). No, Uncharted 2 beats the pants off of it, but fun wise it's #2 in the series.

It does take a bit to grow the beard though. The later parts of the game are way better than the beginning.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

And that actually turned out okay. The PS3 never got a huge sales boost but its sales slowly got better and better, especially each time the system got a price drop. Isn't the PS3 actually beating the 360 in worldwide sales (while the 360 is winning in US sales)?

• Options
    R0land1188 wrote: »

I thought the PS3 sold well at launch. It seemed to have sold out in most places and scalpers had them up on ebay for astronomical prices.

"Sold out" loses meaning when stores were carrying only three to begin with.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    R0land1188 wrote: »

"Sold out" loses meaning when stores were carrying only three to begin with.

Also the bottom dropped out of the ebay reseller market within, literally, a week. There was a chart with the average sales prices floating out there somewhere.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

And that actually turned out okay. The PS3 never got a huge sales boost but its sales slowly got better and better, especially each time the system got a price drop. Isn't the PS3 actually beating the 360 in worldwide sales (while the 360 is winning in US sales)?

It was, then the Kinnectsplosion happened. Microsoft's Kinnect Marketing is a force that hasn't yet been stopped.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The PS3 quickly fell off a cliff.

November 2006:
    Xbox 360 -- 511K
    Wii -- 476K
    PS3 -- 197K

December:
    Wii - 604,200
    360 - 1100K
    PS3 - 490,700

January 2007:
    360 - 294,000
    PS3 - 244,000

February:
    PS3 - 127K
    360 - 228K

March:
    Gameboy Advance - 143,000
    PS3 - 130,000

April:
    Game Boy Advance: 84,000
    PlayStation 3: 82,000

May:
    PlayStation 3 - 82,000

June:
    Game Boy Advance - 113,000*
    PlayStation 3 - 98,500

They rode the "we are totally supply constrained" train as far as possible.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Hm, I had forgotten the PS3 did that badly for a while.

• Options
    Hm, I had forgotten the PS3 did that badly for a while.

They quickly taped out their market of people with two jobs.

• Options
    I remember it clearly, but I started getting into following industry news closer back around that time. Which is why it sticks out in my mind. Though, the GBA thing, that one I didn't remember. That's embarrassing. Luckily it's in the past!
    as is Sony's success :V

This discussion has been closed.