As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    I don't understand what the advantage of Vanarch leadership is at this point, other than maybe some gold, a special mount for your guild, and a warm fuzzy feeling in your belly. The downsides seem pretty significant

1) raise taxes over 1%, you're going to be voted out of office next time around
    2) you have to log on every day to maintain services in the area you control. Fail to do so, you'll be voted out next time around

And seriously, once a guild/leader demonstrate they can keep the services up and don't raise taxes over 1% are they EVER going to be voted out? Even IF that 1% tax thing results in major income and is really sought after, I don't see rulership changing hands very often if at all. What could opponents offer as a voting incentive?

Unless I am just not aware of some pretty significant aspects of the governance system, the whole thing seems like a serious waste of time.

To be honest, I'd kinda like to know this as well. Are there benefits beyond a nice mount and having your guild logo show up on peoples' screens?

The farming seems pretty heinous overall, and while I don't think we can say for sure that raising taxes or failing to keep a particular service up perfectly is going to result in that guild getting the boot, the possibility does seem high given the finicky nature of MMO players. :P

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I don't understand what the advantage of Vanarch leadership is at this point, other than maybe some gold, a special mount for your guild, and a warm fuzzy feeling in your belly. The downsides seem pretty significant

2) you have to log on every day to maintain services in the area you control. Fail to do so, you'll be voted out next time around

And seriously, once a guild/leader demonstrate they can keep the services up and don't raise taxes over 1% are they EVER going to be voted out? Even IF that 1% tax thing results in major income and is really sought after, I don't see rulership changing hands very often if at all. What could opponents offer as a voting incentive?

Unless I am just not aware of some pretty significant aspects of the governance system, the whole thing seems like a serious waste of time.

You also get to give zone-wide messages to everyone in it! :D This dude just wouldn't stop conversing with everyone in the zone using the Vanarch messaging system yesterday. I also doubt people will get voted out for raising taxes. Most of the Vanarchs were elected using alliance agreements between the biggest guilds. If those guys want to stay in power they will

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    I don't think anyone will miss trade brokers, but not having merchants would suck ass. Not having trainers in the <30 areas would also suck pretty bad.
    Zero tolerance failed to keep the trainers up in SM land. Much mocking was had in /a. I think the most popular joke was 'zero tolerance? More like zero chance for re-election!'

Yeah there are some warped priorities afoot. Noble clerics of restoration are nice and all, but that speed boost is just nothing in comparison to having trainers. Fortunately on my server the Vanarchs, at least in the leveling areas where you can expect to ding multiple times in a single play session, put trainers up first.

Why don't we look to replace Zero Tolerance and rule Poporia at the next election? We know for sure Poporia's current vanarch can't keep the leadership. We can probably win it.

Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    What, really? You have to push buttons every single day or else it just disables, even if you have enough praise to fund it? That seems pretty silly.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    I don't know this for sure, but it was the reason given in a district I was passing through for services being down. They claimed their GM's internet was out and couldn't log in to click the buttan.

I agree it seems silly and it would make a lot more sense to set a persistent.

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I don't know this for sure, but it was the reason given in a district I was passing through for services being down. They claimed their GM's internet was out and couldn't log in to click the buttan.

I agree it seems silly and it would make a lot more sense to set a persistent.

You can set it provided you have the PP. In BMC we farmed the shit outta the Bosses and Paid off westonia in 3 days! =D

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    What, really? You have to push buttons every single day or else it just disables, even if you have enough praise to fund it? That seems pretty silly.

No, BMC already farmed enough policy points to last them the rest of the term.

Just farm world bosses over and over with guildies. See quote below:

grouch993 wrote: »
    I know of a group of comic forum related people on Jagged Coast that managed to get elected and have done nothing to their region. Essenia, so all the low 40s people have to spend a few hours there hating them.
    Have not verified, but supposedly it is the CAD people. Guild is named Rapscallions

Our bunch had things up right away. We ran off to kill the world bosses to gain points. I was out of party taking healing aggro so we could get the low level bosses that everyone else ignored. Heard there were some pvp battles over the level 60 bosses.

So just like Destian said, getting the lower ones earns the same points, just have to have people in the right level range and hopefully a group of those in the guild so it counts multiple times.

Maywind on
    Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Got out of Tria and into Acarum on my sorc last night. Felt like going from a closed-up town full of lazy off-duty NPCs to a healthy functioning outpost. :^: BMC

Also missing things like invulnerability dodges pretty badly right now - I actually got knocked down out of a teleport jaunt yesterday, which was amusing.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    My only wariness about alliances atm is that our numbers have dropped on peak, but I'm uncertain if our overall activity has dropped.
    During release we were running between 30-40 people on during peak and I see maybe 17-20 on currently. Not -bad- but still. Plus a ton of alts.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    My only wariness about alliances atm is that our numbers have dropped on peak, but I'm uncertain if our overall activity has dropped.
    During release we were running between 30-40 people on during peak and I see maybe 17-20 on currently. Not -bad- but still. Plus a ton of alts.

I have noticed. :(

I got spoiled from having like 80 people on at a time in my Celestial Hills guild.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    My rise to cap has been halted by the fact that I probably won't be playing again until Monday. I have SO MUCH homework/papers/quizes/exams and I have a mandatory trip from thursday - sunday. I will be in the forest while you all are enjoying your internet. Kill a BAM for me. /sob

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to get into a SM group on my 27 Berserker but I guess it's not happening. Guess I'll skip it.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

I have noticed. :(

I got spoiled from having like 80 people on at a time in my Celestial Hills guild.

I'm all for 'keeping it in the family' so to speak but there was a lot of bucking against this game in the time leading up to release in this forum due to a lot of "lolsillyarmors" nonsense. If there ever arises a time where the game just becomes flat out unfun for you guys because of things like @Arikado's problem or not having enough guildies on to run stuff with, let me know and I'll be open to talk about either allowing open recruitment or simply doing a merger with a group we know like BMC. (most likely the second option)

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Maywind wrote: »
    I don't think anyone will miss trade brokers, but not having merchants would suck ass. Not having trainers in the <30 areas would also suck pretty bad.
    Zero tolerance failed to keep the trainers up in SM land. Much mocking was had in /a. I think the most popular joke was 'zero tolerance? More like zero chance for re-election!'

Yeah there are some warped priorities afoot. Noble clerics of restoration are nice and all, but that speed boost is just nothing in comparison to having trainers. Fortunately on my server the Vanarchs, at least in the leveling areas where you can expect to ding multiple times in a single play session, put trainers up first.

Why don't we look to replace Zero Tolerance and rule Poporia at the next election? We know for sure Poporia's current vanarch can't keep the leadership. We can probably win it.

yes... then we can burn it to the ground. that guy gave us permission!

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »
    I've been trying to get into a SM group on my 27 Berserker but I guess it's not happening. Guess I'll skip it.

I ended up skipping it on my warrior and now I have a happy fucking undroppable bomb in my inventory.

Forever. Or until I get high enough to solo the fucking place. Fling yourself into the LFD tool and pray. Make sure you complete the undroppable story quest while you're in there.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Yeah I did a quest and ended up with 3 quest items in my inventory that I couldn't destroy or abandon in any way. Had to contact a GM to get rid of them

Also if you don't get pops in the dungeon finder try assembling a group yourself. Even if you only find 1-2 other guys it will shorten the queues in the dungeon finder a lot. They'll only get worse as you level up anyway so get used to trying to make the groups yourself if you want to do a lot of dungeon runs

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    GMs can break undroppable items? Trig is pushing 50 and I still have items from BoL. Imma call GM today!

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Just got home. Servers down for anyone else?

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »

My playtime is pretty limited, so I generally try to be as efficient as possible when playing (that went out the window last night, but I was brainburned) I just plug away questing and whatnot, joining up with random folks in the wild, while queued up for the dungeon(s) of choice. Queue usually pops after an hour and I get a dungeon run in per session. I think I've actually been in all of them at this point.

It's certainly not chain running dungeons, but it has allowed me to complete most of the quest lines (and the exp there is very nice, for the most part) as well as pick up some decent upgrades, such that I haven't had to buy all my gear from the AH.

As a quality of life mechanics issue, you can group while queued, you just have to make sure to not leave your group, it will dump you from the queue. If you must leave or if a BAM hunting group comes to an end, things like that, just make sure you are the last person in the group or ask the leader to kick/disband.

• Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    As someone that has been in Something Terable since the CBTs, I can tell you we're not trolls. (For the most part. The vanarch election poster and ads were pretty tongue-in-cheek.) And the guild is super active. I've been mentioning to Girl and the officers about the idea of allying with WANG for a while now, because PA people are also awesome, and unlike some unnamed guilds in our server, incredibly unlikely to ever bother with election drama.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Just got home. Servers down for anyone else?

Server maintenance Tuesday. :(

I was on this morning just before 4am when the downtime was announced. EME sure knows how to ruin my insomnia-fueled game time.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    GMs can break undroppable items? Trig is pushing 50 and I still have items from BoL. Imma call GM today!

Yes they can. They can clear quests that get stuck and remove items from inventory. This means that water dowsing quest in Val Aureum that can get stuck and leave you with dowsing rods. Or on PVP servers, the Embrace Infamy quest or book that keeps triggering on characters.

I am wondering what happens to left over policy points at the end of a Vanarch's reign. If they are saved for the next time, if they could be used for Exarch or have to be spent on Vanarch policy. (Exarch is big city ruler and not currently enabled.)

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    So now that I finally have had my fill of Diablo 3, I'll likely be back to playing regularly again, especially given some of these shiny new changes.

ain't got one
  • Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    aunsoph wrote: »
    As someone that has been in Something Terable since the CBTs, I can tell you we're not trolls. (For the most part. The vanarch election poster and ads were pretty tongue-in-cheek.) And the guild is super active. I've been mentioning to Girl and the officers about the idea of allying with WANG for a while now, because PA people are also awesome, and unlike some unnamed guilds in our server, incredibly unlikely to ever bother with election drama.

Speaking of which, it's time to petition EME about the trainers/brokers in Arcadia.

They don't show up on the vanarch chart, even though they're open, because the vanarch apparently cannot shut them off.

• Options
    Ahahahahahah

Say whatever you like about this game, I love EME and their sense of humor. From today's patch notes:
    Adjusted the timer on the LFG Channel to one message per minute to reduce global spam. Seriously, it's not Barrens chat, people.

• Options
    edited June 2012

To be honest, I'd kinda like to know this as well. Are there benefits beyond a nice mount and having your guild logo show up on peoples' screens?

The farming seems pretty heinous overall, and while I don't think we can say for sure that raising taxes or failing to keep a particular service up perfectly is going to result in that guild getting the boot, the possibility does seem high given the finicky nature of MMO players. :P

The farming isn't bad at all. 3k per day is cake and we got the whole 63k done in 3 days. You can also pump it all in to "pay off" the remainder of the term in one go (like we have).

As for the benefits, it makes a small amount of money, but really, it's FUN. The mounts are nice but the real benefit is getting to experience a part of the game that most other players won't be able to experience.

Plus, getting together as a guild to hunt down those points is always enjoyable. Give you something to shoot for as a collectives.

Though, we need more things we can do with policy points, like letting us open vendors/brokers/trainers in the smaller camps and the like. That would be adding some serious convenience to our province that many other guilds may not be able to achieve.
    @Arikado's problem or not having enough guildies on to run stuff with, let me know and I'll be open to talk about either allowing open recruitment or simply doing a merger with a group we know like BMC. (most likely the second option)

The question is, can we take WANG?

(someone was going to say it eventually, figured it may as well be me... ;) ).
    flammiebc wrote: »
    Got out of Tria and into Acarum on my sorc last night. Felt like going from a closed-up town full of lazy off-duty NPCs to a healthy functioning outpost. :^: BMC

It's so good to hear someone say that. :) /tips hat

TheRealDestian on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Holy crap, melodramatic much? ...
    Not intending to troll you, but currently there isn't a whole lot to Vanarchy, including ways to differentiate yourselves. I mean, pretty much there is "they have the NPCs open" or "they don't have the NPCs open." Of which requires the extreme "skill" of grinding crappy bams repeatedly. I hope EME continues to add functionality above and beyond what Blue Hole put in, so you might see some real perks to a good guild managing a zone.

Especially considering most zones people are going to fly through in a day or less. I feel sorry for the people running low-level zones ... do all that grinding to keep the shops open, and even if you were to tax people at 15%, you would only make a few dozen gold a day.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    JediNight wrote: »
    Holy crap, melodramatic much? ...
    Not intending to troll you, but currently there isn't a whole lot to Vanarchy, including ways to differentiate yourselves. I mean, pretty much there is "they have the NPCs open" or "they don't have the NPCs open." Of which requires the extreme "skill" of grinding crappy bams repeatedly. I hope EME continues to add functionality above and beyond what Blue Hole put in, so you might see some real perks to a good guild managing a zone.

Especially considering most zones people are going to fly through in a day or less. I feel sorry for the people running low-level zones ... do all that grinding to keep the shops open, and even if you were to tax people at 15%, you would only make a few dozen gold a day.

You'd think it'd be easy, yet there are a number of provinces on Dragonfall that have gone without basic services for quite some time, and I'm sure their campaign promises sounded similar to our own on that front: "We'll have everything up, it'll never go down, etc." and they haven't delivered while we certainly have.

And I do consider acquiring the entire 63k in 3 short days an achievement, for sure.

TheRealDestian on
  • Options
    My hat goes off to you sir, that's a lot of grinding :( IMHO the upkeep should be proportional to the tax revenue and/or level of the zone involved. It seems disproportional to require the same amount of effort out of a guild running say, a L30 zone, as the one running Bastion where they stand to make like 10k+ gold a month, even on 1% taxes. Or maybe they need to put some type of multiplier on the tax revenue for the lower level zones to partially compensate.

One of the major flaws I think is that it's hard to cater to a "constituency" per se, as everyone progresses through zones. You can't choose to stay and level in a zone because you like the guild running it -- and you don't really have alternate zones you could level in if you don't like them. The odd voting system they use also makes it harder to vote specific guilds into specific areas IMHO. Even when they introduce mentoring, that only partially alleviates the issue.

• Options
    Vicarious InkVicarious Ink Foooosh Las Vegas, NVRegistered User regular
    Welp, decided to buy Tera as apparently I already had it reserved and paid off. So I am rolling on Dragonfall. So far, so good. Ended up making a mystic. Different play style, indeed.

• Options
    WELCOME BROTHER

• Options
    Welp, decided to buy Tera as apparently I already had it reserved and paid off. So I am rolling on Dragonfall. So far, so good. Ended up making a mystic. Different play style, indeed.

Find groups as much as possible or leveling will be suffering for you.

• Options
    edited June 2012

Hmmm, I think I see what you mean. So far, so good. I need to make some tweaks here and there. But I prefer support classes and like what I'm seeing so far. What's everyone's opinion on a class that is a challenge and largely needed most of the time?

Oh. And thanks for the welcome.

Vicarious Ink on
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Hmmm, I think I see what you mean. So far, so good. I need to make some tweaks here and there. But I prefer support classes and like what I'm seeing so far. What's everyone's opinion on a class that is a challenge and largely needed most of the time?

Oh. And thanks for the welcome.

there's a shortage of tanks but honestly leveling one is no better than leveling a mystic unless you have dps friends. Even leveling with a healer makes it leagues better.

Leveling a mystic or lancer is daunting because as mob health and damage go up, the few offensive tools you have don't scale as well as other classes. Nothing can really kill you but the trade off becomes you kill things rather slowly. Even priests have better offensive capabilities than a mystic and that struck me as rather odd.

A part of me believes that the thralls aside from the thrall of life are design holdovers from a time in early development when they were balanced around being a support/dps hybrid instead of a support/healer hybrid and weren't tuned past that stage.

Beezel on
  • Options
    That's why I meant that Mystic leveling is suffering, as Priest DPS is better. Obviously DPS will kill much faster, but even as Lancer I don't feel like leveling is THAT slow as long as I maintain a level edge over the monsters and keep my equipment well upgraded. At least until L54 -- suddenly Elenea quadruples all mob health, so I've went with trying to group at that point as much as possible.

It's easy to level by constantly running SM and CR, but I've found the dungeons after that to be not nearly as efficient for equipment/XP gain -- as the multiple repeatable quests really dry up after that.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Have I mentioned how much I love being level 60 in Argonea?

I can once again one shot mobs on a crit fully charged Thunder Strike.

It's awesome.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I have been trying to claw my way up as lancer, but quest grinding is sloooowwww. Was kind of hoping the announce for helping lancers solo was going to be something actually good. Backhop and overwhelm or whatever... not so much what I was thinking. Oh well. I need to group more or something I guess, but even dungeons are painful with how randomly bad groups can be.

Guess I just gotta hunker down and do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Question, as I go try to join the PA Forums chat channel, it says the the four digit password doesn't work. Was this changed? I have app'd for the guild, but wanted to chat with others in the mean time.

This discussion has been closed.