As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 - What are some of your favourite memories at PAX?

2»

• Options
    Panda PartyPanda Party I got jimmies. Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    PAX 2010 was my first and only time going so far, and I was a bit scared because I'm not so good with huge crowds. Needless to say, the Exhibition Hall made me extremely anxious for the first half a day or so. But I eventually got used to it and had a great time!

Funnily enough, one of my favorite memories of that PAX was actually a horrible experience at the time. My friend was in charge of booking our hotel room, and in hindsight that was a bad idea, because she didn't do so well. We ended up staying at The Inn at Virginia Mason, but when we got there we found out that our room had been given away. Apparently, even though we booked our room a couple months in advance, people who were staying at the hotel due to a family member or something being in the hospital next door got priority. After some switching around and the person at the front desk being very annoyed, we ended up getting the suite on the top floor for the same price as our old room. Score! Except that it hadn't been used for a year or something, so there was a fair amount of dust that made my allergies go nuts. And the heater didn't work, so we were freezing the first night (the second night we were smart and got extra blankets). Also the shower only had FREEZING COLD WATER. We called a maintenance guy to fix it and he did, but then the water was SCALDING HOT and that was it. Then he came to fix it AGAIN and it came out freezing cold. So. Also the beds were not comfortable at all. Looking back on it though, it was pretty hilarious. xD

Panda Party on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    Wait...you're a Disney geek!?! Me too! Will have to meet up so I can see where I will be in the years to come with a Disney/PAX mix in my brain. lol! (and to trade buttons)
    I'm in lurve with you. Trust me. I will explain EVERYTHING when we meet up.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular

36 hours later (I had work!) I was all caught up with the comics and news they had up to that point. Never looked back since. It was not until the '08 PAX that I found this little growing group of rag-tag doers where I found my new non-Disney-geek home.

Wait...you're a Disney geek!?! Me too! Will have to meet up so I can see where I will be in the years to come with a Disney/PAX mix in my brain. lol! (and to trade buttons)

You're not the only ones! Disney nerds represent!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular

36 hours later (I had work!) I was all caught up with the comics and news they had up to that point. Never looked back since. It was not until the '08 PAX that I found this little growing group of rag-tag doers where I found my new non-Disney-geek home.

You're not the only ones! Disney nerds represent!

And I'm looking forward to PAX just that little bit more (if that is possible). lol!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    vkapadiavkapadia The Beast Renton, WARegistered User new member
    Not my favorite memory, but one I'll always remember.

Paxflu.

My first PAX was 2009. I think my favorite memory from that year was seeing Freezepop in concert. During "Less Talk More Rokk" the crowd started jumping up and down in time to the music (listen to the song, it's awesome) and the floor started to shake. There was a FREEZEQUAKE right there in the convention center, and being in the middle of it was thrilling.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    jev117jev117 Registered User regular
    I really look forward to meeting more people this year. Last year was a blast.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of PAX happens every year. We always fly into Seattle a few days early to visit local friends, do touristy things, and generally "settle in". (Not that settling in is all that difficult since we already live in the same time zone and it's only a 90 minute flight from home, but I digress...) Anywa, as the week progresses, we start seeing more and more PAXians on the streets of Seattle. It's incredibly comforting to see "our people" gradually taking over downtown Seattle over the course of a couple of days.

I imagine it's the same feeling that an evil mastermind has whilst watching a doomsday zombie plague virus spread.

26904.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    PAX is a rollercoaster of emotions for me, as it contains both some fond and very painful memories for me.

The best ones though, are as follows:

-My first convention was PAX 2006. The "ALL HAIL BALL" chants were glorious and I knew from that point on I was home.
    -Best in faction Cryx for the 2007 Warmachine Working Man's tournament. Best I've played a wargame for such stakes.
    -(Barely remember 2008 & 2009. Went with friends, there was gamer communion, but no events of note)
    -2010 Steel Battallion Campaign. Tons more engrossing than any major league sport. (Hai Shi Dao for life!)
    -2010 PAX Pokemon. In a rush to leave my house in the morning, Ieft my DS and I was a part of the Elite 4. Cosplaying as Boss giovanni, I gathered every person cosplaying Team Rocket members I could find at the con and stormed the League meeting, chanting the Team Rocket Motto. The grunts battled in my stead while I taunted in true evil mastermind fashion.
    -Having felt like a total failure at the DM's Challenge in 2010 and then coming back and nailing it with near perfect marks last year in 2011. It felt fantastic to get together with people and just have a good time with an amazing game of D&D and to be rewarded for it had me walking on air the rest of the day.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ThornkinThornkin Registered User regular
    I've been attending since 2007. Only went one day that year so I missed Wil Wheaton's keynote. My favorite PAX memory is definitely watching Of Dice and Men. This was a 2-act play put on as a panel. Amazing play. Would love to see it again. Second best memory was getting introduced to indie role playing games playing Burning Wheel with Luke Crane.

• Options
    VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    This will be my second PAX... I was at Prime 2010... Amazing- you people in line, the concerts- My introduction to Zombie Dice,
    Cthulhu Dice, Munchkin... crazy. The Erika & Lavin proposal at the Q&A. Too many cool things to list...

I would say my favorite thing about PAX is the feeling of belonging. I've heard Jerry and Mike tell people "welcome home"- Man- that really nails it on the head. At 42, I could give a shit about people judging my gaming lifestyle- still, its nice to be able to really let my geek fly sans scrutiny. I really enjoyed seeing so-called "introverts" finally feeling comfortable in their own skin... That's some real shit people... We're part of an amazing community.

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • Options
    jev117jev117 Registered User regular
    Versuserik wrote: »
    I really enjoyed seeing so-called "introverts" finally feeling comfortable in their own skin... That's some real shit people... We're part of an amazing community.

Amen

• Options
    josh shadowfaxjosh shadowfax Registered User regular
    Favorite memory has to be from Terradrive live.

One of the exhibitioners had set up a game where you would play other attendees rock-paper-scissors with powerups. You scored points for your team if you won, and major points if you took down another team's leader.

So it's about 12:30 am and my team is hanging around on third floor trying to find the other leaders. We know one has been hiding at a party offsite, so we resigned ourselves to not being able to find anyone.

Then one guy goes "look". Another team was coming up the escalator. They promptly saw us and ran back down the escalator.

We pursued them out the building and several blocks away and finally caught up to then, where we played for about an hour before I beat their leader.

Tl;dr pax is awesome because when else are you going to chase people down the streets of seattle at 1 am to play rock paper scissors?

• Options
    Mr2001Mr2001 Registered User regular
    Versuserik wrote: »
    I would say my favorite thing about PAX is the feeling of belonging. I've heard Jerry and Mike tell people "welcome home"- Man- that really nails it on the head.
    Absolutely. The best memory from my first PAX was just how awesome it was to be surrounded by all this culture that I'd only ever seen on a monitor. I didn't really think of myself as a "gamer" before that, but I looked around and realized "these are my people", and if these people are gamers then maybe I'm one too.

Another great memory was meeting the Infocom guys at East 2010 and amusing Steve Meretzky with my bound copy of an internal developer's guide he wrote decades ago.

But the best was being an Omeganaut last year. Even though I went out in the first round, it was an exciting enough match to get mentioned by a couple blogs, and peeking behind the scenes was so unexpectedly fun that it's convinced me to apply as an Enforcer.

a.k.a. TaradinoC
    PAX 09 E10 P10 E11 P11[Ω] P12[E]
  • Options
    OuroborosKaiOuroborosKai Pokemon Trainer Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    This is going to be my first time going to PAX and just reading everyone's favorite memories is making the wait feel longer and longer! These next two months or so better pass quickly!

Prime 2012 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Gas Tank Filled[ ]
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    I have a lot of wonderful PAX memories, but the one I will always remember most was the day I met my husband, and the next day when he came and found me while I Enforced the show.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Several Enforcers and I drinking with Jon St. John (aka Duke Motherfucking Nukem) in '10. We maybe sort of broke him, so if you made it to the Gearbox booth on Saturday morning and met a groggy, none-to-personable Duke...oops, our bad.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Mr. LMr. L The Green Thunder Whoa ZoneRegistered User regular
    I was waiting in line at PAX last year for the Skyrim demo and a couple cool things happened. The first was seeing Todd Howard making his way to a press booth to demo Skyrim and flagging him down. Grasping for straws on what to ask, I quickly belted out "Is there going to be a Fallout 4?". He said "No," and continued on to the booth. But I'm still holding out for 2014. Back in the line, four of us connected and became best buds for the long 3 hours in line, parting ways after finally demoing the game, like something out of a tv show. And playing Skyrim was fun too; my only TES experience before that was about 20 minutes of Oblivion. I made my way out of the cave pretty nicely, but I just had to piss off a guard by socking him in the face, ending in my grisly end. Good times.

A year earlier, I had a good time at the Bethesda Booth as well. Getting a bunch of free swag and admiring the awesome Dinky the Dinosaur statue that Bethesda had proclaiming its prescence. But the real treat happened near the end of Saturday's hours. You see, no one at the time realized how big of a failure both Hunted and Brink would be, but nonetheless the "dev guards" were flocking to those demos to ward off people trying to play for long periods of time. Meanwhile, I was at the strangely empty New Vegas section of the booth without any supervision. So I was able to play about an hour long slice of New Vegas months before the game came out, longer then most members of the press. I started at Jean Skydiving (where the demo loads you) and proceeded through Primm and the Ivanpah Racetrack (where I was a assaulted by an army of ants). I would have made my way to Nipton had I known where it was, but I ended up veering off the road and into the Crescent Canyon. There I had my first encounter with Golden Geckoes and of course I leaked all of the info from my exploits on the Bethesda Forums. All in all, it was a fun demo.

Let's see, best swag. Hmm... that's a tough one, seeing as how I always stay on the show floor and thus never get any autographs (I understand David Jaffe was at the Sony booth, but I was never really a fan of Twisted Metal). I'd say that the best one cost wise was the free Onlive Microconsole I snagged last year. I don't use it, but it looks nice and I like having the Microconsole there. But overall I would say the large amount of DLC codes that I got with plenty of copies. Handing them off to friends, giving them to random strangers on the internet, and selling them for hats was pretty fun. And of course the Mass Effect 3 sword thing was nice too.

• Options
    RandorammaRandoramma Registered User regular
    Mr. L wrote: »
    I was waiting in line at PAX last year for the Skyrim demo and a couple cool things happened. The first was seeing Todd Howard making his way to a press booth to demo Skyrim and flagging him down. Grasping for straws on what to ask, I quickly belted out "Is there going to be a Fallout 4?". He said "No," and continued on to the booth. But I'm still holding out for 2014.

Did anyone else read this and picture Mr. L as "Ralphy" from A Christmas story asking Todd Howard aka Santa for a Red Ryder BB Gun?

No way kid, you'll shoot your eye out!

PAX Prime '09 '10 '12 '13 '14
  • Options
    ChaoticmuseChaoticmuse Registered User regular
    My favorite memories are of Pax East on my first trip, the experience of it all as well as being able to just WALK up to people gaming in the common area and learn a new game, be it sit in to watch or play a game. That was wonderful to me, and a great intro to the community. I bought several games over the coming year BECAUSE of that. In Pax Prime, my favorite memories were demoing games with the designers , which is always fun and a great way to really KNOW the game, as well as walking by some redhead girl and going "huh. She looks fami.. oh, she's cosplaying as Felicia Day from the Guild. Cool." ... later, at the Bioware Panel, when she showed up I had a "D'oh" moment, but it was pretty funny.

• Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    I volunteered at the PPD so I could meet more people, and I certainly did that. It was great to meet beta and nomad, as well as menolly and chaoticmuse. Meat jokes!
    The TWTD is always a highlight for me: SLYTHERIN! Mustachioed twinkie! The boobs of a small lady...
    As was the post PAX party with Johnny Nero and the Protomen performing. The Protomen are ace to hang out with, they signed a poster I bought and it hangs upon my wall to this very day...
    Going to the Friday night concert with ferret wa a blast, getting the VGO members to sign their CD...

• Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    The random shenanigans and afterparties
    Gearbox panel... Gearbox are probably the most awesome devs that go to PAX. They go all out.
    Running through fog and crowd only to find yourself in the Firefall booth.
    PAX Flu.

Probably not the last 2.

• Options
    ToasterDylanToasterDylan Registered User regular
    All of these from Prime 2011:
    The Post-PAX Party was a blast.
    Randomly seeing Randy Pitchford on the show floor three separate times over the course of the weekend.
    Having a great and in-depth preview/conversation about Wildstar with one of their lead community folks.
    The Guild Wars 2 party at ArenaNet; seeing devs talk so freely with their fans in a beautiful building like that was just plain neat.
    The Bioshock Infinite art gallery.
    The all-encompassing, omniscient Firefall booth. It may have gained sentience by Sunday.

• Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    My favorite memory was from East12. I had played Final Fantasy XI with a guy for a couple years and we'd never met in person. He lived near Boston so i invited him to come out while i was in town for PAX. So on Friday around lunch time i was sitting by the food court area waiting and looking for him. When i finally saw him i jumped up so excited and ran over for a bro hug. In my mind, that is what PAX is all about. Its not as much the games but its the friendships around the games.
    My favorite swag was from Prime11. The XCOM booth was signing people up for Citizen Skywatch. Going through the eval process and getting the ID badge. It's one of those things that i'll keep on my PAX lanyard for all time.
    EDIT - I'm most looking forward to more XCOM Enemy Unknown info and hopefully game play.

JimmyWild on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Last year was probably my most memorable...never expected I'd find the love of my life at PAX :3 the circumstances of us meeting weren't exactly ideal, since I was at PAX with my boyfriend at the time :? But you never know what life will surprise you with, right? Anyways! Last year I also got to mee Todd Howard and have him sign my plush skyrim helmet :D also my first time doing the room share. I've made life long friends at last years PAX, and that's why it is my favorite :)

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    namelessbanananamelessbanana Registered User regular
    Last year I got to tell felicia day that she was awesome. Also my ride won the giant scrolls poster from the Mojang booth and I won one of their TVs. Perfect end to PAX. I did create a problem about getting home though.

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Going as media in 2010, meeting all the great people from last year. Running into some guys from Cheapassgamer.com and the list goes on and on....

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    My first PAX I remember the week before getting so panicked about coming and not fitting in that I ended up crying and LewieP having to give me a firm talking to. Then I came to PAX. I came home.

Then 18 months later I went to PAX East with him, knowing I was going to be among friends.

This year I'm coming to PRIME without him, but bringing LewieP's Daddy instead. He's only coming for one day, so I'll be by myself for the rest. Except I won't be, I'll be with my family, my PAX family.

This is what I remember best and love the most about PAX.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    Last year was the 3rd year I had attended, and by far the best. I lived nearby, so I didn't have to figure out hotel/parking, and just took the monorail to the show. I was dressed as Kid from Chrono Cross, and my friends were Isabella and Fenris from Dragon Age 2.

Friday night we went to the IGN party at Gameworks, and I met my current boyfriend there! Saturday night we got to hang out with the Dragon Age team from Bioware, and met tons of awesome people.

I'm trying to work out some Mass Effect cosplay for this year, and hopefully I'll get it done in time. I'm currently in the Philippines, so I'm stressing a little bit about my progress, but I'm still mega excited!

• Options
    Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Best and worst memory of my first PAX, being an Omeganaut. Best because AWESOME, worst because STRESS. Looking forward to just being a random attendee this time.

• Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    So I have a few favorite moments from PAX

#1. In 2007 when I was standing in Main Theater waiting for the final round of the omegathon to start and I hear that first chord from the Halo 3 trailer music.

#2. In 2008 when I got to help out with the line around the Bungie booth and I got to meet Jen Taylor and a bunch of other Halo people and I started the collection of signatures on my Halo bag.

#3. In 2011 (Prime) there was Halofest that I got to help out with. And that was awesome, got to meet so many cool people.

And that's about it, there are other awesome things too but they are too numerous to count.

iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PAX 2005 Omegathon final round. Combat.

Nearly everybody at PAX was watching that on the various TV's throughout the convention.

No round has topped that yet.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    PAX East 2012

Midnight Dance Central battle.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    heels wrote: »
    PAX East 2012

I'm hoping the Prime 2012 version will top it.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited July 2012
    I have worked Info Booth mornings for the last several years. My favorite memory is East's at BCEC, Friday morning, as those front lobby doors open to attendees for the first time, watching the hordes of excitement and promise infuse the building and make it PAX. Prime the booth is in a different spot so I don't get quite the same experience.

The moment lasts for a few minutes, and then come the questions we will hear all day. Where can I get my badge ("to your right"), how about program & swag bag ("to your left, second escalator down and behind, back of the central hall"), main theatre line ("directly above you 2 floors").

Happiest moments come when I connect with someone and help them find pure joy. Could be I happen to find their phone in lost & found box. Could be I educate them on someone amazing thing they didn't know was at PAX. Could be I convince a friend to come for the first time and see them realize they are home. It takes many forms, sometimes surprises me, and is always worth it.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    heels wrote: »
    PAX East 2012

I have never been so close to pure awesome and yet not been able to go witness it :(

My favorite PAX memories are mostly from Enforcing, I do enjoy it. Helping people pick out a game they want to play, or making sure someone gets the next Wii that comes in so they can play brawl with their two sons or such stuff always makes me happy. PAX is the best.

Also at East this year, CAH in the Sheraton lobby at stupid o'clock for 3 straight days. I have never laughed so hard.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.