Options

[Auto-Racing] If you ain't first, you're last! (F1, Indy, NASCAR, Rally, Drag)

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Auto-racing. Vroom vroom. I wanna go fast! This thread will cover the major forms of auto-racing. Please keep it civil. No one cares that you think NASCAR doesn't require skill. First, you're wrong. Second, no one cares. Also, we don't care if you think race car drivers aren't real athletes. Really, we don't.

Major forms of auto-racing:

Formula 1

Formula-1-Logo.png

The creme of the crop when it comes to technology. Formula 1 puts the most technologically advanced race cars in the world on the track. 19,000 RPM V8 engines, carbon fiber bodies, Kevlar carbon blasted breaks, millions spent on aero packages and research to shave tenths of seconds. If you love technology in your racing, Formula 1 is your thing. Formula 1 only races on specifically constructed road courses, and hasn't run a consistent race in the United States for quite some time. There is currently a Formula 1 spec track being built in Austin Texas that will hopefully be the home of a US Grand Prix for years to come. Keep your fingers crossed.

Indy Racing League (Indy, IndyCar)

Irl_logo.png

Very much in a down turn right now, but this is America's home grown open wheel racing series. Not quite as technologically advanced as Formula 1, but still very much on the cutting edge. New body this year that some people love or hate. It seems to be safer, so that's good. Some great drivers in this series. Has lost a ton of it's following to NASCAR in America, but is still chugging along. They are currently putting a heavier emphasis on road and street courses, which is a good thing. NASCAR has ovals on lock down, but America lacks a highly popular road racing series right now.

NASCAR (Stock cars)

nascar-logo.jpg

As much as people love to make fun of the redneck roots of NASCAR, it's some damn interesting racing at the right tracks. Currently NASCAR has an intermediate track problem: Too many of them, and they are all pretty boring....but when NASCAR heads to it's really interesting tracks (Daytona, Talladega, Darlington, Richmond, Martinsville, Senoma, Watkins Glen) the racing can be heart pounding and amazing. There isn't much in auto-sport like the intensity of a NASCAR restrictor plate race like Daytona. Some of the best road racing I've ever seen is when NASCAR goes to road courses. Big 3000lb stock cars just make for amazing racing when they are being thrown all over the track by world class drivers.

Feeder Series/Sports Cars/Drag Racing/Rally Racing

Of course those aren't the only racing organizations in the world. Many of them have feeder series, such as Formula 3000 for F1, IndyLights for the IRL and NASCAR Nationwide for NASCAR. In addition, there are myriad other auto-racing sports, such as Grand Am Touring and Rolex Sports Car. There is also rally racing and drag racing, represented by various bodies.

If it goes fast, has four wheels, and people compete in it, talk about it here!

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The race at Talladega this weekend was interesting. It seems like the new rules package NASCAR instituted has helped bring pack racing back, but man there were a lot of blown engines. Plus, at the end, it seemed like the tandem thing was right back. Though it didn't work out quite as expected, because Brad K disconnected himself from Kyle Busch in turn three (brilliant race move, so subtle Kyle didn't even know if he'd done it on purpose). Expect to see that kind of disconnect move from now on in the final corners if it's a tandem situation.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Best drivers on the planets have got to be rally drivers. The amount of crazy, especially back in the Group B days was just incredible.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Is F1 more technologically advanced than the cars they put out there for the 24 Hours of Le Mans? Also in their own way, Top Fuel and Funny Car Dragsters are amazing machinery, as well as the nuts that go to Pike's Peak.

I would also posit that rally drivers are at least as skilled as any others, the diversity of their driving conditions is just amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Formula 1 is more technologically advanced than the Le Mans stuff.

I wasn't trying to start an argument about who the better drivers are. We can discuss rally, that's fine, but if I listed every form of auto-sport ever in the OP it would be pages long. I listed the "big three" and the rest is open for discussion.

• Options
    I added rally and drag to the "other racing" section, just to cover our bases.

• Options
    I recently watched the 4 wide drag racing championship, that is some amazing stuff. I didn't even care who won, having more HP than a NASCAR race going full blast for 3 seconds is amazing. They set some records that day, I think one of the top fuel guys got under the 3 second mark.

I haven't been able to keep up with WRC lately, has Mitsubishi stopped being awful yet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't follow rally, so I'm not one to answer. I should follow it more, I just don't find the coverage to be as extensive as the other forms of auto-sport...unless it's X-Games time, then you'll see Rally-Cross a lot.

• Options
    Speaking of the US Grand Prix this fall, anyone planning to go? I am thinking of flying in to Austin to see it. Would be cool to get a PA dinner together the night before the race.

• Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    NASCAR gets a bad rap amongst our generation (or demographic, or whatever). The races are very interesting. I guess I'd compare it to baseball -- if you switch to a ball game, but don't know the rules or strategies involved, it'll be confusing and incredibly boring. If you're into the sport there's a ton of things happening on every pitch that make it fun to watch.

Anyway, I live about an hour from Watkins Glen, and went to the race there a year and a half ago, and it was awesome. I'd like to make it back this summer, but we'll see.

• Options
    Yeah, people give me shit for watching NASCAR, and to some extent I get it. I'm not in to the redneck super southern culture either. But the racing itself is top notch.

I would love to see them race at the Glen live. I wish NASCAR would use the full Formula 1 course though, and not cut the boot off. I guess the high speed section of the boot is too dangerous for stock cars, but still.

I live close enough to Senoma that I might go see the race at Infenion sometime. In fact, that's the closest Sprint Cup race that happens all year for me...

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I thought most people watched NASCAR only to view explosions and crashes.
    And there's an F-1 thread around here, in which I've lurked for some time. I can get you a link if you want, Gnome. It's more active than the WRC thread that was around here a while ago in which I don't believe anyone posts any more.

• Options
    L Ron: Yeah, I couldn't find anything about auto-racing, and I checked with the mods before I made this...so this may become "the new thread". I plan to keep it pretty active. I think keeping all the auto-racing under one thread will pick the activity up a little.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Some top level series races this weekend. I didn't include feeder series, but you can expect those to happen around the other events listed. This will likely end up being a weekly feature I do. At some point, I will write a Ruby script to automate this for me.

Formula 1: Grand Prix of Spain, May 13, 08:00 EST, 05:00 PST, SPEED Network
    IndyCar: None (Lead up to Indy 500)
    NASCAR: Southern 500 (Darlington), May 12, 18:30 EST, 15:30 PST, FOX
    NHRA: None
    WRC: None
    Rolex Sports Cars: Global Barter 250, May 12, 13:00 EST, 10:00 PST, SPEED Network

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Barcelona will be typically boring and devoid of passing, unless it rains.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »

Probably, but the rules package this year has lead to quite a bit more overtaking than usual. Plus there are more competitive teams it seems this year. You're probably right though, it's not normally the best rest on the F1 schedule.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Probably, but the rules package this year has lead to quite a bit more overtaking than usual. Plus there are more competitive teams it seems this year. You're probably right though, it's not normally the best rest on the F1 schedule.

It's like Monaco without charm. And without the oh-shit factor. I'll watch anyways, but I'm not optimistic. I like weekend naps anyways.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You're not kidding about the weekend naps. Even as an auto racing buff, I'll be the first to admit the middle parts of some races are great times to nap. Wake up every 10, take a quick peak, oh, 50 laps still? That's another 20 minutes of nap.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    So Erik Buell Racing just took their first podium in AMA Superbike. I'm really rooting for these guys; it's nice to see a competitive American bike again.

• Options
    Isn't Erik Buell the guy who decided to design his own race bike from the ground up? Without using any pre-built parts or whatever?

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Isn't Erik Buell the guy who decided to design his own race bike from the ground up? Without using any pre-built parts or whatever?

No, I think you're thinking of John Britten.

Erik Buell was an engineer at Harley-Davidson who decided to try and make bikes that didn't suck for a change. He started Buell, which was an offshoot of Harley, but the corporate overlords mismanaged it for like twenty years. They cut Buell (the brand and the guy) loose just a couple years after they finally let him use a decent engine instead of a retuned air-cooled Sportster engine, which was a damn shame. Now he doesn't even have the trademark to his own last name, so his company is "EBR". But fuck it, he's making bikes again.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Yay, a racing thread!

Granted, I haven't actually attended a race since 2005 because of money, but that's okay. I still keep up with it.

I'm also a sim-racer so I think about fast cars quite frequently.

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular

This year, even Bahrain was pretty exciting (not even counting the petrol bombs!), so Barcelona is likely going to be a goddamn thriller.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yotes wrote: »

This year, even Bahrain was pretty exciting (not even counting the petrol bombs!), so Barcelona is likely going to be a goddamn thriller.

Like I said, the new rules package this year seems to produce pretty good racing.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    So, Indycar: I'm not surprised that the Lotus engine deal is melting down, but I am surprised it happened as quickly as it did.

With Dragon Racing now actively suing Lotus, and presumably trying to land a deal with Chevy, that will leave only HVM as the sole Lotus customer. (Poor Simona :( )

The good news is that means Sebastian Bourdais might have a stronger car, and given how well he's driven with the weaker Lotus that should produce some interesting results at the front of the field and could even give Power something to worry about.

• Options
    I used to watch Indy almost religiously back before they had their schism. It was some great racing. Every time I have caught it lately it's been kind of boring, though. Hopefully it will continue to improve now that the US open wheel talent isn't being split between series.

I'm looking forward to Barcelona in F1, if only to see what kind of changes the teams have made. Ferrari in particular needs to step up if they are to be at all competitive. I'm also going to try and catch the Rolex Sports Car stuff.

I know Speed used to cover WRC, have they dropped that recently? I don't recall running into any ads for it the last couple years, and I certainly haven't caught any coverage on TV.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    At best, you might get a highlight show at an odd hour.

However, they recently launched SPEED2, but your access depends on your television provider.

Edit - some of it is available on demand; I just discovered that since I'm on DirecTV I can log in at speed2.com and watch episodes online (WRC included, though it's still just a half hour recap show).

citizen059 on
  • Options
    As much as I love it, IndyCar is a mess right now. It was good that they brought in different engine manufacturers, but the Lotus deal going south hurts IndyCar's credibility, something it desperately can't afford to hurt right now. I think if they had just started that program with Chevy and Honda, and then expanded as opportunities arose, it would have been better long term. I think they wanted three engine manufacturers so bad, they reached, not realizing that two is exponentially better than one in a non-spec series. Starting at two would have been prudent.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Sweet, a racing thread! I was wondering if there were any other gearheads on this board.

I haven't had time to actually watch much (though I'm hoping to catch a few of the ALMS races this year), but anybody here do autocrossing with the SCCA/NASA/etc? Just got back our first local event of the year on Sunday and WOW.

• Options
    I haven't had a car worth auto-crossing in for a couple of years. I did it a little bit when I had my Civic Si, which was fun, but not recently. I don't think auto-crossing in a Nissan Rogue is really going to whet my whistle.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Speaking of the US Grand Prix this fall, anyone planning to go? I am thinking of flying in to Austin to see it. Would be cool to get a PA dinner together the night before the race.

I'll be going, and this will be my first ever anything race, so I am quite excite.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Septus wrote: »

I'll be going, and this will be my first ever anything race, so I am quite excite.

Well, you chose a good race to go so :) Formula 1 is something that just has to be experienced live at some point in your life if you're a race fan. As good as it sounds on TV, nothing sounds like 19,000 RPM's live.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Me and a couple friends considered driving from NJ to Canada for the Grand Prix there, but decided it was just too far to go. Now I live in VA and fat chance I'll have a chance to see F1 in person any time soon. I could probably go see NASCAR, but I don't really follow the series right now so I have no clue who I would root for. As awesome as drag racing can be, that's something I feel is better on TV because there's just a lot of downtime setting up each run that is better served with commentary and drink runs that aren't $50 a beer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have friends who live in Austin, so I don't have to pay for a hotel or anything. The only real cost to me is the tickets (which are ludicrously expensive, but oh well, once in a life time and all that), flight and food.

• Options
    With the US GP in Austin, it kind of adds another barrier to going for me. My mother, step-mother and little sister live in San Antonio and they would be peeved if I went to Austin and didn't stop in for at least a week long visit. I know of people that keep throwing around the idea of a GP of NYC and that would work better for me, because I have friends in the area but no family. Eventually I hope to be able to go to an F1 GP, but not until I finish this round of schooling and get my degree.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Me and a couple friends considered driving from NJ to Canada for the Grand Prix there, but decided it was just too far to go. Now I live in VA and fat chance I'll have a chance to see F1 in person any time soon. I could probably go see NASCAR, but I don't really follow the series right now so I have no clue who I would root for. As awesome as drag racing can be, that's something I feel is better on TV because there's just a lot of downtime setting up each run that is better served with commentary and drink runs that aren't $50 a beer.

Re: NASCAR - you don't really have to follow a specific driver. My "favorite" retired years ago and now I have a number of guys that I follow, but no real favorite. I just like to see a good race.

The best experience is to spend as much time as you can at the track, tailgating, checking out the souvenir trailers, trying to meet some of the drivers, etc. If you can go with friends, that's ideal.

There are some guys who tend to avoid the public as much as possible, and there are others who would doubtless spend more time meeting fans if they could. But for the most part they're all pretty cool about it.

• Options
    They need to bring Formula 1 back to the Glen. Last time I heard, the track needs about five million in updates to be FIA spec. Someone needs to get on that.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been to two NASCAR races, and I've met several drives, and the ones I've met are surprisingly down to earth guys. Hell, I had a nearly five minutes shoot-the-shit session with Jeff Burton. He was just standing in front of his garage as I was walking the paddock, and I asked if I could get a picture. He was cool and totally did, and started to chat with me and it was just a neat little conversation.

If you go to a race, I really recommend you get paddock passes...at least the first time you go. It'll cost you more money, but like I said, just walking the paddock is fun. It's the best way to meet drivers and just feel like your part of the race weekend.

• Options
    Actually if I went to a NASCAR race I'd almost certainly be rooting for Juan Pablo Montoya, and then I'd be sad when he doesn't even come close to winning. It's a testament to the competition level in NASCAR's top series that a guy who has won the Indy 500 and 7 F1 GPs has 2 wins in 191 races.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And both of those wins are at road courses. Because as much as people like to shit on oval racing, it's actually a skill, and one that has to be cultivated.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'd recommend going to the top-fuel and funny car drag races, at least once.
    It is a lot of setup, and you have to wear earplugs (you'd be an idiot not to), but it's an awesome experience.
    The 3-10 second payoff each 10 minutes is well worth it. Just the roaring of the engines and watching the awesome cars fly down the track make up for it.