As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm starting to find the Wii gimmicky

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    you'll largely be paying for potential with the Wii.

funny, this is pretty much what Jack treton says about the PS3.

Since i received (bullshit) infraction points for this, i want to clarify about what i meant.....

I wasn't lighting the fanboy beacons, i was pointing out that the oft ridiculed PS3 has been defended by its head honcho in north America by using the same statement.

i feel this is in no way inflammatory, i just used it as a means to show that this is another example of how a PR spin from 2 different company's can pan out.

I obviously didn't incite fanboy riots, because hopefully people were able to take the meaning and realize that customers don't like to be told "they are paying for potential" and how that can affect customers in a short term level.

I'm scared for the wii, I think it's going to go down the road of Gamecube, and receive one or two awesome first party games, along with an occasional third party game every year.

i think so is everyone else, i know i am.

I really, really doubt that. Did you miss how Dragonquest is pretty much all Nintendo now? Suda 51 is publishing exclusively for the Wii. Medal of Honor: Vanguard might be good. M: UA had a fantastic port to the wii version. There are tons and tons of games from third parties that are hitting the Wii.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm scared for the wii, I think it's going to go down the road of Gamecube, and receive one or two awesome first party games, along with an occasional third party game every year.

i think so is everyone else, i know i am.
    I'm honestly not. In case you haven't noticed, the Wii is decimating everything in its path in Japan, and it's eating a massive share of the market in other territories. Typically it's only being outsold by the DS, the system that it can interface with.

To think that no third parties are noticing this is flying in the face of logic. I'm not saying it's going to "win" whatever bullshit console war IGN and Gamespot want you to believe is being waged, but it's definitely going to be more prominent than the GC ever was.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Archebaldo wrote: »
    I made it because I wanted to see if I was the only one out there, if I was missing something, or if I'm just a cranky, lazy gamer. I'm aware that people have individual tastes...hence the whole point of the thread.

I didn't really know what else to make the topic. I knew it would look bad but it was the shortest way for me to convey how I felt.

I haven't put much time into either of the games. Sonic I just don't like in general. He doesn't even move fast, which defeats the whole purpose of a Sonic game, IMO. SSX I plan on playing some more of before I decide for sure, but I don't see how I will find the controls better than how they were on PS2 or Gamecube.

I might just be in the camp that doesn't feel like flailing (yes, an exaggeration) my arms around to play a game. I may have just been baited by the initial appeal of the Wii. I'm not totally worried, I do expect some game to come along eventually to make it all better, but how long will that be?
    I haven't played it, but read through the gigantor Sonic thread; because of the strange RPG-esque system in place, Sonic builds up speed the more you play. People are complaining that the abilities are making him too fast.

As for Blur, you really, really, really should spend more time with it. I had a bad taste in my mouth for the first hour, but just ignore ubertricks at first and get used to carving, jumping and grabbing. Once you stop trying to play it like "a gimpy analog stick" and start thinking of it as its own entity, it really clicks, and it clicks hard and awesome. (Also, the tutorials are complete ass, so don't even bother with them; practice ubers in the menu.)

EDIT: "Flailing" may be a comical exaggeration, but it's a faulty one. The only game that exaggerated movements work well with is Wii Sports. Everything else is quick, controlled movements in the wrist. Don't buy into the hype. :wink:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RealityReality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As far as third parties and whatnot, I think they're gonna get a big boost of "Here's how it should be done" when Nintendo ships Galaxy to stores.

I'm hoping the same kinda thing will happen with MP:C...

Reality on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i disagree.
    Warioware could be classified as "gimmicky" but it is just so much pure awesome..i...i...

I don't know. I just really love it. DBZ was pretty sweet. Madden was fun for literally the first time. Sonic I found to be a BLAST and what qualms I did have weren't control based but rather level based. SSX blur looks very promising, especially for someone only vaguely familiar with the ssx series. Zelda was awesome, though I can see how the sword fighting was "gimmicky."

But if given the choice between simply pressing A or swinging the wiimote, I'd presonally rather swing the 'mote. Its just more fun for me. Aiming arrows was also incredibly sweet. But zelda doesn't completely "count" i think, if only because it was developed ground up for the wii.

even if all of it IS gimmicky, who the hell cares. I'll buy into it. Its the most fun i've had with games in a long time. The wii has been the only thing that has consistently drawn me away from WoW. Hell, not even my last girlfriend could do that.

i do agree about minigames though. 'nuff o dat shit

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    i disagree.
    Warioware could be classified as "gimmicky" but it is just so much pure awesome..i...i...
    Wario Ware was engineered to be gimmicky. That's not a slight, it's a compliment. And it's insanely awesome at what it does.

Lunker on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Typically it's only being outsold by the DS, the system that it can interface with.

Personally, this is the feature I'm most excited about. I can't wait to see what kind of ideas they come up with. Games that use the DS as a controller, downloading demos to the DS (the Wii becomes a demo station), or any other random stuff they can come up with. I can't wait to see what Nintendo has up it's sleeve in that regard.

I for one, am most pleased with the waggle. Games feel much more tangible on the Wii, and I've had difficulty going back to playing with a pad. Though I fight that for a few PS2 games I need to finish off. As far as epic RPGs go, I don't see why that would be a problem on the Wii, considering those games primarily use only a control pad and two buttons (OK, Cancel). They really wouldn't need to do anything, but I think making menu choices with the pointer might be interesting. On that note: SRPGs, please.

Is there a bumper sticker I can buy that says "I'd rather be Wii-ing"?

EDIT: Twice I edited, soley because my fingers don't do what I tell them.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Wii having only one or two really really good games a year is one of the reasons it's attracting me...I'm gonna need to spend less on games in the next few years, and I don't think I could comfortably afford getting seventeen $60 360 games a year. It's a strange pro, really a big con for most people, but it works for me. I look at my huge stack of Ps2/Xbox1 games and wince. Should've got a Gamecube.

Darlan on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm really excited for the Wii, because if anything it's retreading the DS's path. That is, a unique a different control method with a few good but possibly "gimmicky" (hate the word) first batch of games. Drought for several months, then Kirby (=Sonic and SSX). Drought for a few more months, then all hell breaks loose. Can't wait for that.

Seriously, the stage we're in now feels just like the start of the DS. It's apprehensive, but also burgeoning.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    and it starts.

also, just because Zelda isn't minigames doesn't mean its not gimmicky with the controller.

From what I've played of it, I'm not convinced that the Wiimote is the way I'd want to go to play it.

I love the Wii remote when it's used for aiming in Zelda. I get frustrated at swinging it to execute sword maneuvers and the shield block though. It feels tacked on, and I think it would work better as a button press.

All that being said, being able to keep my hands far apart is wonderful. I would love to see more control schemes broken into two halves like the Wii scheme is even if they don't all feature motion control.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Wii isn't a gimmick.

The way most titles implement the motion control is.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I feel inclined to suggest that the Wii isn't aimed at people who do 40 hour marathons of WoW. If you see what I mean.

See, this notion doesn't compute to the hardcore gamer. They continue to wonder why and how Nintendo does not cater to their every whim, as virtually every other system/game manufacturer does.

Wii is made more for someone like me, who's 27 and doesn't have blocks of hours to game anymore. I had the Wii at a party and every girl there wanted to play - some of them are past 30 and mothers. They could give a shit about the 360, however.

And yes, the library sorely needs a bolstering at this point.

Axon on
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    but i am slightly dissapointed that the motion sensing isnt a little more subtle.

the billiards game in wii play really exposes this.

it limits what can feel natural by moving the controller.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    All that being said, being able to keep my hands far apart is wonderful. I would love to see more control schemes broken into two halves like the Wii scheme is even if they don't all feature motion control.

Yes, this. I've found it to be very comfortable and it allows you to hold your hands in a variety of ways.

Menace on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Moving off what Lunker said, the Cube never threatened to move strongly into the #2 spot of its generation. Hell, if the Wii keeps moving the way it has, it can realistically challenge for #1.

Axon on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the main reason for the lack of third party support is because the Wii's success caught everyone by surprise. I don't think it really picked up momentum until the last E3. Given that most AAA titles take at least a year to make even without the issues of a new console with a completely new interface, I'm not surprised if we don't see many big 3rd party games until 2008 or so.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Axon wrote: »

Moving off what Lunker said, the Cube never threatened to move strongly into the #2 spot of its generation. Hell, if the Wii keeps moving the way it has, it can realistically challenge for #1.

Gamecube was firmly #2 in Japan and was neck and neck with the Xbox in worldwide sales for most of last gen. It's only in America where it played a distant third.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Having put a decent amount of time into Zelda, Sonic, and SSX I can say that I really like the controller and while some of the other games for the system feel like mini-games or feel like they are just using a gimmick I think the true potential of the system shines in Zelda, Sonic, and SSX. I really started to notice this when I went back to playing some GC games with the normal controller. Moving just didn't feel all that logical with it like it did with the Wii.

I would be interested in trying out the controls on the 'cube version of Zelda just to see how they stack up to the Wii version.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't ever understand: am I supposed to feel sorry that an early adopter doesn't have enough software to keep them entertained after launch?

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would be interested in trying out the controls on the 'cube version of Zelda just to see how they stack up to the Wii version.

I have only played the GC version, but I got really annoyed by falling repeatedly into lava. Is it a bit easier to adjust camera and angle on the Wii?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »

I have only played the GC version, but I got really annoyed by falling repeatedly into lava. Is it a bit easier to adjust camera and angle on the Wii?

You can't adjust the Wii camera. I've heard you can on GC, with the c-stick just like in WW.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gamecube was firmly #2 in Japan and was neck and neck with the Xbox in worldwide sales for most of last gen. It's only in America where it played a distant third.

Okay, but who do they develop for? Is it the American audience, Japanese, a product of selling yourself to the company, dev tools?

I also do not recall Cube being neck and neck worldwide.

Axon on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Okay, but who do they develop for? Is it the American audience, Japanese, a product of selling yourself to the company, dev tools?

I also do not recall Cube being neck and neck worldwide.

They've both pretty much stopped selling, and Xbox is at abour 24m worldwide, and Gamecube is at about 21m.

bruin on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Probably not the first person to do so, but;

"Starting" to find it gimmicky?

I don't mean this maliciously, but yeah, that's pretty evident.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is Nintendo doomed yet? I'll come back after a few pages if not.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

"Starting" to find it gimmicky?

I don't mean this maliciously, but yeah, that's pretty evident.

Perhaps you just need some new games.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why do we all use the word gimmick like it's a bad thing?

Let's look at some great games and see that they're all gimmicky.

Gears of War gimmick? Use of cover. The game seem built around that one concept.
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time gimmick? Time travel
    Metroid Prime gimmick? item collection to access previously unreachable areas
    Kirby Canvas Curse gimmick? all stylus control all the time
    Lost Planet gimmick? the environment, as well as the enemies, can kill you

Games are gimmicky. That's one of the things that makes them fun.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm still holding out hope that the Wii will be amazing for console FPS games.

Red Steel was a great idea with shitty execution.

Come on, developers. Come on.

Taximes on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To be honest, I see this point now. After an initially exciting launch, in terms of game content it appears to be going the way of the Gamecube for a while - all quiet, with good-but-not-great third party titles while everybody waits for Metroid, Mario and Smash. And another Zelda.

Yes, yes... I know, the DS went through this and look what happened to that. But.. I can understand this frustration. Wii Sports and Zelda are the only titles on my Wii that still feel 'fresh' (Wii Sports is going to be timeless, and Zelda deserves at least one more playthrough from me), but aside from that, the other games I've picked up like SSX, Sonic and Wario Ware have all left me enjoying them... for the first few days. Hopefully this'll pick up as we hit the Summer and in time for Christmas.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Wii is already fairing better than the Cube and DS in terms of a much better launch lineup. It's probably the best launch lineup I've seen on a Nintendo console, I have 4 games + Wii Sports and had a hard time narrowing it down to those 4. They even managed strong followups with SSX/Sonic/Wario. I think the movement feels gimicky because it's something new and companies are still testing the waters. You may not like the PS2 ports, but we're getting Scarface, Manhunt 2, and the Godfather this year, that's a huge batch of M rated games that most naysayers would never have predicted hitting a Nintendo system.

The best example of the Wii controls done right to me is Madden. It took a confusing, mess of a control scheme that football gamers had grown accustomed to it and made it seem natural. I'm sure some people think that it's a gimick to pretend to throw the ball - but since I've played it I've never had to look up in the manual which button jukes, spins, and dives which to me is enough proof that the Wiimote is not just some gimmick.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I still play Wii Sports every day. I haven't played Zelda in a while (got into a Zelda rut, beat a dungeon and now I've forgotten what I need to do next). I have secret rendezvous times with Rayman.

All said, it's not my primary gaming experience right now. I have a little fun, then I'm off to Gears or Resistance or WoW or - God forbid - actually going out and doing other things :)

For the money I've spent on the Wii I consider it to be a wonderful return on investment - and though folks say the sword swinging may be a gimmick, I personally think it's "rad", "righteous" and possibly even "gnarly".

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I feel inclined to suggest that the Wii isn't aimed at people who do 40 hour marathons of WoW. If you see what I mean.

See, this notion doesn't compute to the hardcore gamer. They continue to wonder why and how Nintendo does not cater to their every whim, as virtually every other system/game manufacturer does.

Wii is made more for someone like me, who's 27 and doesn't have blocks of hours to game anymore. I had the Wii at a party and every girl there wanted to play - some of them are past 30 and mothers. They could give a shit about the 360, however.

And yes, the library sorely needs a bolstering at this point.

I thought it was just a fat joke. And as such, lol and whatnot.

It was first in my heart.

To the OP, I had a similar post Gamecube run. I think it was cos I got it with Smash bros Melee only (I had gotten the original fairly recently, and that hurt the experience in general). It helpdes that it was sitting beside my N64 and where the SNES used to be. Nintendo have always, always entertained me more than anything else, and I knew I could hang on and have the experience I deserved for the cash I spent and the trust I had in Nintendo since I was 12.(Just to note, I have lots of other consoles which I enjoy, Nintendo is just the king for me as opposed to the whole kingdom)
    I enjoyed Lord of the rings a lot more when I got the fellowship extended edition, watching the big movie in 90-120 minute blocks seperated by sleeping, or just getting up to make some tea. Two towers and ROTK suffered badly because I cant sit that long in a cinema seat. I knew the problem was not the movie, and was happier with the home version.

"But Ray, why the fuck is THAT relevant?"
    Well Billy, I'm glad you asked.

I'm a reasonable man, and when I don't enjoy something or have a negative view of it, I can see when something is clouding my vision.

The OP seems reasonable too, by the fact he asked us for opinion as opposed to telling us what it should be.
    To you I say: Hang on dude. It'll be OK. And hey, if it turns out to be Gimmick-Fucking-Central, sell the damn thing. By the time you know for sure, you'll still make out like a bandit.

Like a Mexican bandit.
    I'm telling you to grow a big tache. Ooh, and ride a raptor!

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To be honest, I see this point now. After an initially exciting launch, in terms of game content it appears to be going the way of the Gamecube for a while - all quiet, with good-but-not-great third party titles

Honestly, what launch isn't like that?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The controls in Sonic are solid, I don't see how they can any way lead the op to the belief that the wii is a "gimmick". I haven't played SSX blur so I can't comment, but it's entirely possible you just don't like those games, and that hardly a gimmick makes.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    FloFlo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For the last month, my Wii has be a nostalgia machine. I have 12 VC games that my family and myself have yet to stop playing. Honestly the disc drive in the thing hasn't even been spun for weeks. Yet, we keep the thing on constantly. Everyone loves to look at pictures in slide show and play around with all the features it provides, and we get together every couple nights and the 5 of us vote in the Everybody Votes channel. Almost every night I put the news slide show on, and just let the thing cycle through while people mingle around my house. It's the centerpiece of our living room.

I'm not saying that the Wii titles that I own are 'gimmicky', but I've played them so much that I'm a bit burned out. But thanks to the Virtual Console, Internet Channel, Vote Channel, News Channel, and Weather Channel my Wii is still getting tons of use. I honestly love having the option to sit back and play wireless SMW or if I have a bit more energy I can waggle with Link.

Flo on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only one who really, really like WarioWare: SM? I still play it pretty much every day.

Also, Super Paper Mario in a month for lots of win. There is no drought.

bruin on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Am I the only one who really, really like WarioWare: SM? I still play it pretty much every day.

Also, Super Paper Mario in a month for lots of win. There is no drought.

Wario, SSX, Sonic... there's been a good amount of playable stuff especially considering the three months after Christmas are usually slow.

Nothing like the Gamecube, where you would have to wait for MONTHS for something good.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a few friends and copious amounts of red bull + vodka turns WarioWare: SM into the greatest drinking game on the face of the earth.

I'm not sure why I put that here.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MakeMyDayMakeMyDay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok I will say this here:

I find the Wiimote not responsive enough. Seriously I was a bit disappointed with it when my friend got his Wii. I used to have a Microsoft Sidewinder , the one with the gyro in it , and it worked really good.

So after what now,..8 years after the Sidewinder , I thought the Wiimote would be 100x better then the Sidewinder. IMHO it isn't. I am particulary scared because of fighting games that requite fast reflexes. I don't think that the Wiimote can hande it.

But I hope this is just me overreacting..

MakeMyDay on
    TomatoTornado.png
  • Options
    FloFlo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm really hoping that we see some titles that use the Classic controller too. I really like it for some reason.

Flo on