As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Watch Dogs] GTA4 impregnates Deus Ex, while NVidia PhysX watches like a voyeur. +DRM

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to travel as much as possible by boat since that seems the best way to keep the cops off (I can disable the chopper with that advanced skill).

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Yeah in my game they tended to block up the entry ways with their own cars. I just poppedo ut to fire a grenade at their writhing mass of vehicles, hacked the nodes, then jumped into one of their new cars and drove off in that.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So what's the verdict in this game? I'm not seeing huge spillages of love for it. Is it worth getting? I likes me some open world adventure stuff but I tend to like a little fantasy/sci-fi/super powers mixed in.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So what's the verdict in this game? I'm not seeing huge spillages of love for it. Is it worth getting? I likes me some open world adventure stuff but I tend to like a little fantasy/sci-fi/super powers mixed in.

Buy it expecting a polished GTA style game with added focus on stealth and some fun environment manipulation stuff through the hacking. It's upsides are basically the amount of toys it gives you, how polished the combat and stealth feel and how alive the city feels when you're just walking through it. Big problems are in the story and protagonist plus it definitely doesn't live up to the whole hacker thing alot of people wanted from it.

I'd say buy it, but I'm a whore for Ubi's 'lots of tools for your playbox' style of design.

Also for that previous spoiler:
    The end section can be pretty nasty but it's worth noting that it's the very last mission in the game so there's no reason not to go nuts with the grenade launcher against the cops.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It's my favorite game this year so far, but I'm in a definite minority. Think GTA with a stealth focus and some cool hacking powers.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I liked it, because when you're maxed out on hacking skills you're basically unstoppable, but that bland protagonist.

It's just a joke, but spoiling it just in case:
    5292966_orig.jpg

Ubisoft wrote:
    We're very lucky in the game in that we have two compelling villains, Lucky Quinn and Damien, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel Aiden's role in the game is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I played this seriously for the first time last night.
    Damn that intro/tutorial mission inside the ballpark was a huge disservice to the game. Everything AFTER it is so much more fun. I played for hours after leaving the motel and never even touched the story. There is always something to do.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

if you rode the 2+ year hype train you'll probably find a lot to cry about. If you know nothing about the game you will probably have plenty of fun with it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I played this seriously for the first time last night.
    Damn that intro/tutorial mission inside the ballpark was a huge disservice to the game. Everything AFTER it is so much more fun. I played for hours after leaving the motel and never even touched the story. There is always something to do.

You should advance the story far enough to unlock multiplayer! Takes a couple hours. Then you have the actual game, and the storyline can be forgotten as you play hundreds of delicious multiplayer interactions.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I liked it, because when you're maxed out on hacking skills you're basically unstoppable, but that bland protagonist.

Blandtagonist. New term.

In a sentence: Ubisoft loves creating blandtagonists. Aiden and Connor are the blandtagonest blandtagonists ever blandtagonized in the history of blandtagony.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Blandtagonist. New term.

In a sentence: Ubisoft loves creating blandtagonists. Aiden and Connor are the blandtagonest blandtagonists ever blandtagonized in the history of blandtagony.

You mention those, but you don't mention Faceless Ageless Genderless Voiceless Abstergo Employee?

And yeah, if you skipped the hype (which mostly wasn't Ubi's doing, just peoples imaginations getting away from them), it's a pretty fun game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I just wanted to come in and complain about Watch_Dogs. I was incredibly excited about the game when it was being advertised and showing bits of gameplay. I honestly didn't even ask myself if the story was going to be great. Upon starting the game I was completely underwhelmed by the story and the protagonist. Moralizing over how bad the bad guys are then going and taking jobs from the very same mob. When everyone criticizes Aidan in the game, I can't help but agree with them. The physics are awful, there's hardly an emphasis on stealth considering the game often puts you in positions where its necessary to shoot your way out, and characters just fall by the wayside in the story (I'm just about done with the third act, it's pretty underwhelming so far). Over the last couple weeks I've had the worst experiences with the game. It seems to use the terms knock down and takedown interchangeably and this causes problems during some missions when they want you to knock down a person vs. kill them. Not always very clear. I've also had characters freeze in place. Literally. I was chasing a criminal and he hopped in a car, crashed into another car and started to get out of that car and froze in place. I couldn't do anything to him so I drove away to continue on with my game. Several blocks later, the game let's me know I let the criminal escape. Let's talk about the online a bit too: I've had people quit out on me just as I was about to win a hacking or trailing and not get any credit whatsoever. When I do win, I manage to get very little notoriety (40-70) yet I see people walk away with massive amounts of notoriety when they beat me (400-500). Lastly, I was just in the middle of an intrusion mission when the game took me out of that because I was being hacked. Right in the middle of completing a mission. I'm playing on an Xbox One, by the way.

TL;DR I only play this game because I spent so much money on it and I won't let my completion rate go down.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Intrusions and similar stuff aren't considered "real" missions, and you can be hacked out of them. If you're currently being tailed, it will prevent you from starting Story Missions etc.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    klemming wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Blandtagonist. New term.

You mention those, but you don't mention Faceless Ageless Genderless Voiceless Abstergo Employee?

And yeah, if you skipped the hype (which mostly wasn't Ubi's doing, just peoples imaginations getting away from them), it's a pretty fun game.

Eh, there's a difference between that character and the other characters though, and that's that the Abstergo Employee was probably meant to be that way. The more I read around the more I've come to realize that the kind of character most people seem to want in a game is some kind of scenery chewing extrovert, because that's what they can easily process and relate to. A lot of the posts and commentary just come across as "If I am angry, I growl and throw things, because this character is angry and doesn't growl and throw things, he must not really be angry." Or "why isn't he smiling if he's happy about a thing?" And so forth. While heavy internalization of emotions and the like works well in say, comics (Batman for example), it simply seems to be a thing that many people don't want or can grasp in games, particularly with new characters that aren't familiar to them. Throw in the fact that the narrative has to compete with gameplay and other factors, and a non-extroverted character is pretty hard to pull off in a matter that pleases everyone, imo.

But yeah, if you skipped the hype for the game, it's alright.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MisterGrok wrote: »
    I just wanted to come in and complain about Watch_Dogs. I was incredibly excited about the game when it was being advertised and showing bits of gameplay. I honestly didn't even ask myself if the story was going to be great. Upon starting the game I was completely underwhelmed by the story and the protagonist. Moralizing over how bad the bad guys are then going and taking jobs from the very same mob. When everyone criticizes Aidan in the game, I can't help but agree with them. The physics are awful, there's hardly an emphasis on stealth considering the game often puts you in positions where its necessary to shoot your way out, and characters just fall by the wayside in the story (I'm just about done with the third act, it's pretty underwhelming so far). Over the last couple weeks I've had the worst experiences with the game. It seems to use the terms knock down and takedown interchangeably and this causes problems during some missions when they want you to knock down a person vs. kill them. Not always very clear. I've also had characters freeze in place. Literally. I was chasing a criminal and he hopped in a car, crashed into another car and started to get out of that car and froze in place. I couldn't do anything to him so I drove away to continue on with my game. Several blocks later, the game let's me know I let the criminal escape. Let's talk about the online a bit too: I've had people quit out on me just as I was about to win a hacking or trailing and not get any credit whatsoever. When I do win, I manage to get very little notoriety (40-70) yet I see people walk away with massive amounts of notoriety when they beat me (400-500). Lastly, I was just in the middle of an intrusion mission when the game took me out of that because I was being hacked. Right in the middle of completing a mission. I'm playing on an Xbox One, by the way.

TL;DR I only play this game because I spent so much money on it and I won't let my completion rate go down.

While I recently wound up having to take a break from playing this game when an hack invasion notice popped while I was in the middle of the Pawnee drinking game... I understand your pain. IIRC, they changed it so you don't lose notoriety when getting hacked though.
    Hey all,

The team made some changes to some of the Multiplayer modes of Watch_Dogs and wants to let you know about them. The goal of these changes is to encourage players to finish the hacking session without disconnecting, without incurring a penalty.

From now on, the victim of a hacking invasion will never lose Notoriety, even if they fail to find the hacker.

In addition, players losing a ctOS Mobile Challenge will never lose Notoriety. As long as they have passed a few checkpoints, they will gain Notoriety, even if they lose the match.

Now, no one will have a reason to quit a match before it’s finished.

Feel free to send us questions and comments in this thread and I’ll try and answer them.

Thanks, and keep on hacking!

Nik

Source

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Doesn't mean people won't still exit games at 98% just to be dicks.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I can't think of any other instance where a developer outright removed all stat punishment for losing in multiplayer... Does it lose some of the fun by being less dangerous? I guess there's still the increased risk of losing notoriety from civilian casualties, but that's about it.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The multiplayer has some interesting ideas, but not enough to keep me interested beyond what's required for achievements. Hopefully they can do something more substantial in the next game.

• Options
    There are almost no games that punish you for losing in multiplayer. Get less forward progress? Sure. But actually losing progress? This isn't Everquest in 1999.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There are almost no games that punish you for losing in multiplayer. Get less forward progress? Sure. But actually losing progress? This isn't Everquest in 1999.

Halo 2 did something like that, didn't it?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of the problems with the MP would be fixed if they just removed point losses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The payoff for completing side-mission groups has been really disappointing so far.
    After tracking down all the serial killer locations, it just sends you on an ordinary "stop the crime" mission, exactly like every other random crime detection mission. There's nothing special about it at all. It even accidentally played a random "jilted lover" scenario bark that had nothing to do with the whole plot point about hemophilia. All this potentially interesting investigation stuff and spooky music and strange symbols and then... nothing. And why does the killer suddenly completely change their MO for their last crime? He was a ritualistic murderer who used knives, and then suddenly he's going to shoot his last victim in an alleyway and try to run away?

At least completing the human trafficking sidequest triggered a good chase, but you just escape and Aiden congratulates himself a bit about how he did such a good thing, and it's over. "All those people are unharmed and free now, I just know it! I'm sure this has resulted in them being rescued! I don't even need to see or show any evidence suggesting this actually happened." It's a game, not a radio play, Ubisoft.

Also, try following one of the random ambulances that show up. I did, and it drove off a ramp onto the freeway. It's using the same AI routine as "escaping driver", which is a poor approximation for the behavior of professional emergency responders.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Good News, Everyone!

WatchDogs has been patched, and they've added the option to reset gang hideouts and convoy missions.

Also, they supposedly fixed the drinking game too... I'm reluctant to go to TA to see how achievement hunters who actually ground their way through it are gnashing their teeth about it...

Also some multiplayer the stuff and I quoted the meat below:
    Single Player Added Features

- REPLAY OPTIONS – After having completed the main story line, players will now have the option to reset previously played Gang Hideouts and Convoy Missions. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- DRINKING GAMES – The Drinking Games were re-tuned based on community feedback. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- Increase round fail time by 20%. More time for player to finish.
    - Increase button cycling time by 50%. More time between button switch.
    - Increase player reticle radius by 25% in collect button mode. Allow easier button press succeeded on bad latency tv.
    - Increase player reticle last frame velocity impact on this frame position (inertia friction) by 70%. The player reticle slow down faster when no input from player -> easier to stay on the spot targeted & More precise player control.
    - Increase player input factor by 50%. More precise and more reactive player control.
    - Reduce max force applied randomly to player reticle from 0.35 to 0.29. Less strong random impulse for drunk effect.
    - Reduce moving target speed by 15%. Easier for player to time his button press on a target.

Multiplayer Added Features

- HACK YOUR FRIENDS – You can now select available friends via the grid and hack or tail them without their knowledge. This can be disabled under online options. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- CTOS MOBILE – Mobile players disconnecting will no longer result in the gameplay ending for the console/PC player. Console and PC players will play their match to the end and receive some Notoriety points for doing so. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- MULTIPLAYER BAD BEHAVIOR – Players who are frequently disconnecting from multiplayer matches will be pooled together and paired only against players with similar online behaviors. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

If you’re playing against someone else who disconnects unfairly, you will get the same amount of Notoriety as if you had won at that moment.

The disconnector will not receive any Notoriety.

Source

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    HAHAHAH! They patched the fucking drinking game! :D

(I already got the trophy and plat...)

Well, at least they listened. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    HAHAHAH! They patched the fucking drinking game! :D

(I already got the trophy and plat...)

Well, at least they listened. <3

Yeah, last time I tried the drinking game I got invaded and it was a major contributor to my not playing for a bit. But I just started up again last night so this is a nice boon, lol.

edit: yeah... I'm doing it now; they may have made it too easy. lol...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    Yeah, last time I tried the drinking game I got invaded and it was a major contributor to my not playing for a bit. But I just started up again last night so this is a nice boon, lol.

edit: yeah... I'm doing it now; they may have made it too easy. lol...
    I have no problem with this. That minigame was stupid to begin with.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    A question: how is the multiplayer of the game? I ask for the competitive component. It looked like Future Soldier from what I've seen.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    I only ever played the invasion and races, I did not do the team game.

Hacking is a fun, yet frustrating source of 90+% failed hack attempts. Ticking off those last few percents was pretty exciting.

Tailing you just follow the other player around, and it's kind of creepy.

The racing in this game was mostly clean, probably because the cars wheels are magnetic and slamming into each other doesn't seem to do much, if anything. The motorcycle races were a lot more fun.

• Options
    I tried the team ones twice. Both times were unplayable lagfests

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It's also not really like Future Soldier in any way aside from looking a bit like it because Ubisoft developed both.

Also the game mode is fucking terrible.

• Options
    Multiplayer is the best part of Watch_Dogs. The competitive hacking and stalking, anyway. Races are eh (but then, I'm not a fan of the driving anyway) and as there's no in game reward or trophy attached to the team mode, you'll find it woefully underpopulated compared to the others.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    It's a shame they made the worst scoring system possible for it. Just making the punishment for failing not so terrible would fix 90% of the problems. I can't think of a single ELO system that actually made games better, rather than way worse

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's a shame they made the worst scoring system possible for it. Just making the punishment for failing not so terrible would fix 90% of the problems. I can't think of a single ELO system that actually made games better, rather than way worse

Yeah, it's not surprising that a system that was designed for competitive chess turns out to be a manipulable mess for online video games. You cannot hack chess, you cannot DC from a match if you're losing, you can't cheat at chess at all really in an actual tournament. It's close to impossible.

None of that is true in Watchdogs, people game the system really badly. After the Nth time in a row I invaded someone only to find they were camping for an invader I started disabling multiplayer when I logged into the game (has to be re-done every time you log in which is obnoxious in and of itself) and finished off the main quest and the side quests that I was interested in and then set the game aside. They will have to do a lot better with the multiplayer next time around if they want me to not ignore it from the get-go.

• Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    So, I loaded up Watch Dogs the other day to hammer out the drinking game stuff since they patched it.

Can confirm: game is still fucking annoying.

I actually got bored doing it and just gave up. Also the twin sticks same target thing can go to hell.

Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Bad Blood DLC is out if you own the season pass (30th to purchase separately). Played a couple hours of it and it is fun so far. Basically just more of the same but with a much better character to play as (T-Bone).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyINVymd4t0

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm...

I'm actually enjoying this game. Admiteddly, I've rented it from Redbox and I'm not pretending Aiden Pierce is anything other then Ben Linus with better looks and a fancy phone, but still.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Was not enjoying this game a thing? Most people enjoyed it, from what I recall.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The DLC mocks Aiden's standard gravely voiced, humourless hero by...
    having a voice log of him reading off a cooking recipe srs bsns style