As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Lite hinge crack.

ZoneZone Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I was wondering if Nintendo had fixed the hinge cracking problem that the launch ds lites had?

dit: that bttr?

Zone on

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Awesome, do you know what this thread is missing?

The letter E.

And yes.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait, the DS lit had a hing problm?

What exactly was the natur of this problm?

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Rogers101Rogers101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hings crackd.

Rogers101 on
    413935705_6ceaa1aed3_o.jpg
  • Options
    t10t10 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, I C what ya'll did thr.

t10 on
    rar.
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My DS Lite has a hinge crack but it's one of the the waves of Lites. Nothing bad has come of it, but nothing good will come of it either :(

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I noticed my launch Lite had a crack a few weeks ago. I've heard it only gets worse and worse, but I don't want to send it in because I can't live without my DS.

bruin on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didn't know my DS could crack along it's joint. I'm glad that i caught on to this complication as now I can maintain caution as I unfold my DS.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I noticed my launch Lite had a crack a few weeks ago. I've heard it only gets worse and worse, but I don't want to send it in because I can't live without my DS.

You heard wrong. The cracks actually eventually heal themselves.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »

You heard wrong. The cracks actually eventually heal themselves.

YES

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, since we're serious now; my DS had a cracked hinge. I sent it in for repair, the turnaround was about a week-and-a-half.

Rogers101 on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What did Nintendo tell you/ask you?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nintendo started this new thing a month or so ago where they'll send you a new DS before you send back your old one, so you don't need to go without your DS for a week or two. Of course, this requires a credit card so if you keep both DSes then they'll charge you.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You punch in a serial to make sure it's under warranty still, fill out a form of what's wrong (in my case: hinge crack, inaccurate touchscreen, dead pixels), then they approve your repairs and send you a UPS sticker in the mail. You get the sticker, box up your lite (without anything, no stylus, no dust cover, just a battery and battery cover), slap the sticker on, and mail it out. There are some other instructions, some thing you have to cut off the letter they send you and put it in the box, but that's it. Then you wait. It takes about a week and half to get it back. If you're like me, you get a brand new unit with no crack and no dead pixels and a flawless touchscreen. And then you hug it.

I had a DS Phat to put all my network settings on so it would keep all my friend codes and such. I dunno about any advance replacement services hey may have to help you there if you don't have 2 DSs.

Edit: Oh, there you go. ^^

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Asked for the serial number of the DS and what hinge the crack was on. They sent me a UPS shipping label, so I had to pack up the DS and drop it off at a UPS place. I was instructed to remove games, GBA slot cover thingy, and stylus.

Whether they repaired my DS or sent me a refurbished one is a matter of some debate. The paper I got w/ the DS says they replaced the case and screens. The quick turnaround makes me wonder though, they had it for less than 24 hours. The touchscreen no longer has a screen protector on it, so along with the repaired hinges that is certainly different.

EDIT: I see others have posted while I was writing this. Let me add that I did this back in November/January, they didn't have the even exchange thing then. Also, the DS I got has some dirt in the cracks. So did the DS that I sent, so no harm done. I just bring that up to point out that the DS that I got was not brand spanking new. (Not bringing any of this up to discount the two posts above this, just relaying my story.)

Rogers101 on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I dropped my DS lite(it was actually my third, the first one had dead pixels and the second turned off randomly if I pressed B too hard) and it had some very very light superficial damage to the right shoulder button.

That was like three or four months ago. A few weeks ago, it developed the hinge crack. I'm not sure I want to send it in though, just in case they're like "Zomg your fault!"

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just sent my DS Lite in, last week, to fix the crack and I had a really quick turn around time, 2 or 3 days. And they just replaced the case of my old one. But there was another problem (L button didn't work) that they didn't fix so they did the exchange, I still have to send my old DS Lite back to them.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah - they have a very quick response time and they have started just repairing the cases it seems. For the record the cracks do get worse - regardless of what Nintendo might tell you. Mine started barely visable, got to the point that you could slide a fingernail into it. The first time I called they pulled "it won't get worse" well, then after it got worse they didn't question me at all.

If you have a 3rd party screen protector on it, remove it before you send it to them. If you don't, they pull it off, return it in a baggie and include a nastygram about unlicensed items potentially voiding your warranty.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I RMA'd two of the cracked Pearl white units in December. They rep hooked me up with a white and a black unit in return. FWIW, the replacement white unit was babied and the black unit was the beater for everyone else to use (I figured that it showed yellowing and hand crud a little less). Within a few weeks, the screen-protected and babied replacement Pearl white DS lite cracked too. Thats Oh for Three as far as Pearlies go. I would imagine that the housings they use for RMA units are batches using the right plastic consistency, but I guess not.

CZroe on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arg. My DS Lite hinge just cracked. It's been flawless since I got it, first day they came out or so. Noooo. :(:(
    So do I call them or is there a web thing I can fill out so they send me the box to send it away in?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bought a DS Lite about... 2 months ago.
    No sign of a crack yet.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dropped my DS in a toilet and it's still kickin'. Just sayin'.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What happens after it cracks?

I still have the DS Brick, and I love it's design. The thing is a tank, and I don't think I'd ever want to replace it. The only real reason to do so would be so it matches my Wii, but if the pearl DS Lites are especially susceptable to cracking, then fuck it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    And if you're like me, you get a new unit that also cracks a few months down the line. As soon as I get my voice back (sick!) I really need to call them up about that.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

:shock:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    My brother did that.

It is not kicking, but it can still run GBA games, I think.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    My black DS lite has been fine for the month I've owned it now. It was just newly arrived in the store I bought it at too, it hadn't been sitting on the shelf for three months.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nintendo started this new thing a month or so ago where they'll send you a new DS before you send back your old one, so you don't need to go without your DS for a week or two. Of course, this requires a credit card so if you keep both DSes then they'll charge you.

Seriously? I might do this as the hinge crack kinda freaks me out and I'm still under warranty (I'd love to get it taken care of), can you link where it says they mail it to you before and let you send yours back? I can't find it on the site.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I may as well trot out this story:

Launch Lite: Cracks around the time everyone starts noticing the crack. Gets sent in.
    Replacement Lite: Stuck pixel, big and bright and annoying, right in the middle of the top screen. Why exchange a problem you can't see when playing for one you can, I think. Back it goes.
    Next Replacement Lite: TWO stuck pixels, both on top screen. This time the expedite my label.
    Next Next Lite: I got it um...right before EBA came out. Beautiful. Except I noticed it cracked a couple of weeks ago. %$#%

Given the history I'm hesitant to send it in again. Though if they just replace the case this time that would be nice.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    To anyone worried about buying a DS because of this, it was only a real problem on the first batch of white Lites they made, for the most part it wont happen anymore.

bruin on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1. Is the crack more than an aesthetic issue?
    2. Is it only on the pearl/white Lite units?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    1. Some people's cracks continue to get worse and worse until the hinge breaks altogether.
    2. As I just posted, it was only a major problem in the first shipment of white Lites, and you shouldn't have a problem with it if you buy one now, whatever color it is.

bruin on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1. Some people's cracks continue to get worse and worse until the hinge breaks altogether.
    2. As I just posted, it was only a major problem in the first shipment of white Lites, and you shouldn't have a problem with it if you buy one now, whatever color it is.
    Specifically, the first shipment of American white lites. My launch Japanese import lite is fine, despite the rigours of travel by air-freight... Fortunately, since I have no idea who to send it to if it breaks either.
    I haven't heard of this happening to European lites either, so I think the problem was something very specific with that one batch.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AmwhereAmwhere Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My white DS lite did this (not my DS Lite, same problem, though)

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/new-horrible-ds-lite-crack-193231.php

Of course, the warrenty doesn't cover physical damage - the nice nintendo rep knocked the price of repairs down from 75 to 30 bucks, though.

Amwhere on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nintendo just sent me a replacement DS for the one that had dust under the screen.

Observations:
    1) They've really sorted out the diagonal D-Pad issues. Works a dream now.
    2) I really missed my DS.
    3) Nintendo apparently didn't notice the HUGE SCRATCH IN THE BACK OF THE BRAND NEW UNIT when they were sending it to me.

God damnit, Nintendo Europe, can you ever get anything right?

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jensen wrote: »

Seriously? I might do this as the hinge crack kinda freaks me out and I'm still under warranty (I'd love to get it taken care of), can you link where it says they mail it to you before and let you send yours back? I can't find it on the site.

I found out by calling them.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What happens after it cracks?

I still have the DS Brick, and I love it's design. The thing is a tank, and I don't think I'd ever want to replace it. The only real reason to do so would be so it matches my Wii, but if the pearl DS Lites are especially susceptable to cracking, then fuck it.

The Lite is also VERY sturdy, and the screen on the Phat is really crappy. I can't even play any games on the Phat anymore, the screen is horrid, it's dark and muddy. There one single downside to the Lite, and it is easily fixed: The speakers are not as loud as the ones in the Phat, but headphones fix that.

My black DS lite, bought immediately after the blacks were released in the US, is perfect, no signs of cracks whatsoever...

And it doesn't matter how hard or often you open you launch white DS lite, if it has the crack problem, it WILL develop the crack. It's genetics.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And it doesn't matter how hard or often you open you launch white DS lite, if it has the crack problem, it WILL develop the crack. It's genetics.
    Indeed. I treated mine like a newborn baby and it still got a crack. :(

BTW, what's the warranty period?

Glal on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm on my fourth Lite because of the hinges cracking, but I think the two replacements before my current one were refurbed launch units and subject to the same problem. This one seems okay so far.

Edit: The warranty is they will fix your Lite for free if it has a cracked hinge, and they'll restart your warranty while they're at it. I don't think it matters how old it is.

Edit 2: The problem only affected the white Lites that came out at launch and shortly afterward.

Azio on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Indeed. I treated mine like a newborn baby and it still got a crack. :(

BTW, what's the warranty period?

One year, so every Lite in existence in the US is still under warranty.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm gonna send in my double dead pixel lite. Bright green on the top left of the touch and bright green on the bottom left of the top. It's awful and the very first thing I hear when I pass my lite over to a friend is "Awwww that sucks"

DekuStick on