As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Throw your lady into arrow traps, sacrifice her at an altar. Y'know, show her a good time.

Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Social Entropy++
sw-logo.gif

A bunch of us are playing Spelunky! This is a freeware PC game that recently made the jump to the Live Arcade, so if you've got a 360 give it a shot!

If you're unsure, how about this funny quick look so you can see what this game is all about and also get some laffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJlPun8LQss&feature=player_embedded

So, arrow traps, right? Fuckin'... arrows. And spiders! Have you guys ran across those rooms that only have spiders? Lots and lots of spiders. It's crazy! Apparently there's like a secret graveyard, and a black market too! I have no idea how to get to them.

SPELUNKY

Vann Diras on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna repeat what I said on Twitter

This game is basically an abusive relationship in video game form. It keeps hurting you but you always come back.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I played so much of this on PC, never managed to beat it even once though.

Protip: do not fuck with the shopkeeps without a very good plan.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Working on the second short cut on pc

Fuck those monkeys

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I love Spelunky so much

I think I got too good at murdering shopkeepers though

• Options
    I have yet to even make it through the jungle

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    with Rayman, Fez, and now Spelunky

got faith in platformers again

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I spent about a month last year playing this game and just getting more and more discouraged. I practically hated myself by the end of it.

hmmm...

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh my god this xbox version looks like so much more

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The xbox version is damn gorgeous

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
  • Options
    son of a BITCH

hit jungle 1

I CAN'T SEE A THING fuck you game

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I played an unrealistic amount of this back in the day. Wish it came out on PS3, too :(

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Man, if only this was out on PC. And with internet multiplayer.

The quick look made me go back and play the PC version again for these last few days. So many hilarious deaths, like the time I planned an escape route, took an idol in the mines and dodged a boulder only to have it bounce off the edge of the map wall and crush me not a second later

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Okay

For those who want to know how to be the best at this (also how to get to the black market)
    First off, you need the Eye. You get the Eye by finding the key, and the treasure chest it unlocks has the Eye. It is pretty cool anyways, it allows you to see hidden gems. That is neat (spectacles also do this).

Then you survive to the Jungle levels, and at some point the Eye will start blinking. And then it will start blinking faster. The faster it blinks the closer you are to the black market entrance, which is invariably buried someplace in the Jungle. Get to the black market. If you like killing shopkeepers, the black market is a paradise. Otherwise you gotta buy stuff. The most important thing is the resurrection item. I don't remember what it is, it is sold in the back corner of the black market. Get it. And then don't die.

Then you survive to the ice levels, and there will be a level with a giant fucking stone head. Kill yourself. Seriously. You will respawn inside of the stone head, which will have in it a sweet item that probably does something. It has been a while.

Then you go to mega tomb level. There are mummies with hellish mummy staffs here. Get one of those staffs. First off it is one of the best weapons in the game, as a heat seeking bubble machine of death, and second, you need to be wielding that staff in when you find a weird door. The staff opens that door. Then you are in the city of gold. Which is a level where everything is made out of gold. Waste all of your bombs here, get rich as fuck, and hope you can beat the game still (those bombs would have been useful against the final boss).

• Options
    Other fun things to do:

Sacrifice mad corpses to the altars. You will get sweet loot, including a regenerating skull chalice of blood and 99 bombs.

Kill shopkeepers. They are always packing a shotgun. This is a really tough thing to do and I am not revealing my tricks to it. You need something pretty powerful to put them down, let's just say that. But at the end of the day, free shotgun. And free everything else they had. And now there is a hit squad chasing you.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I find it funny that the video in the OP is called "quick look" but it's an hour long.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Okay

For those who want to know how to be the best at this (also how to get to the black market)
    First off, you need the Eye. You get the Eye by finding the key, and the treasure chest it unlocks has the Eye. It is pretty cool anyways, it allows you to see hidden gems. That is neat (spectacles also do this).

Then you survive to the Jungle levels, and at some point the Eye will start blinking. And then it will start blinking faster. The faster it blinks the closer you are to the black market entrance, which is invariably buried someplace in the Jungle. Get to the black market. If you like killing shopkeepers, the black market is a paradise. Otherwise you gotta buy stuff. The most important thing is the resurrection item. I don't remember what it is, it is sold in the back corner of the black market. Get it. And then don't die.

Then you survive to the ice levels, and there will be a level with a giant fucking stone head. Kill yourself. Seriously. You will respawn inside of the stone head, which will have in it a sweet item that probably does something. It has been a while.

Then you go to mega tomb level. There are mummies with hellish mummy staffs here. Get one of those staffs. First off it is one of the best weapons in the game, as a heat seeking bubble machine of death, and second, you need to be wielding that staff in when you find a weird door. The staff opens that door. Then you are in the city of gold. Which is a level where everything is made out of gold. Waste all of your bombs here, get rich as fuck, and hope you can beat the game still (those bombs would have been useful against the final boss).
    It's the ankh that you get in the black market

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    I find it funny that the video in the OP is called "quick look" but it's an hour long.

ayuck ayuck

no but really they're all usually that long. dudes actually take you through and show off what the game is about, while being incredibly entertaining about it. hard to do that effectively in 10 minutes or whatever

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

ayuck ayuck

no but really they're all usually that long. dudes actually take you through and show off what the game is about, while being incredibly entertaining about it. hard to do that effectively in 10 minutes or whatever

Well alrighty then. I didn't know there were others.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I should see if Derek ever added more stuff to the PC version of years ago. And it has been literally two years since I've seen him start working on the XBLA version. Guess the dude gets incredibly busy.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ah yeah there are lots

alright. gonna make it to the ice place. gonna do it

gonna

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The proper term is 'yeti land'

Like some sort of horrible, horrible theme park

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    this game looks really fun

gonna pick it up sometime soon

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT PUG DAMSELS I MUST BUY THIS

Oh yeah I have been meaning to tell you about the pug damsels

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    if you use anything other than pug damsels you're a monster

• Options
    are you fucking with me

darkness level AND a spider level

with the only path of progress being going down into a pit with 3+ giant spiders

goddammit

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    if you use anything other than pug damsels you're a monster

"All" is a good alternative though. One level you get dog kisses and the next you get sexy kisses awwwwright

This game fucking hates me though, fucking boulder traps pissing off shopkeepers everyday

• Options
    are you fucking with me

darkness level AND a spider level

with the only path of progress being going down into a pit with 3+ giant spiders

goddammit

See this sounds awesome to me.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    how much is this game

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    how much is this game

Free on PC!

FREE!

• Options
    $15 on the superior live arcade

• Options

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

this cuts into my bluray addiction way too much

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Try before you buy on the PC.

I love this game so far.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Aww I haven't played this in a couple years. And I have just enough funbux to pick it up on Live! There goes my free time for the next few days...

• Options
    The male damsel run is hilarious

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options

hmmmm

sounds you need a better addiction

pug addiction

troof.jpg

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I remember introducing a friend to this and he completed it before me despite the fact I had a big head start. Not so hot at platformers!

I should really try it again and cross my fingers that the prettificated Xbox version eventually migrates to PC (fat chance)

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options

hmmmm

sounds you need a better addiction

pug addiction

troof.jpg

look man

i can stop any tme i want

its just too pretty to stop yet

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Eyeing this and I think I’ll get it tonight after I have too many beers and start making poor financial decisions.

Been looking for a new game that kicks me in the nuts since I can’t get any more medals in Trials. Hopefully this does the trick.

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    i think i made it to 2-2 after playing this game for like 2 hours last night

sheee-it this bitch is hard

mrsatansig.png