As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's nail this Virus - LOP.AX

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm generally a very careful web user, but a few days ago I contracted a trojan. A quick trip over to AVG and my laptop started working again. But since I've deleted the virus, I keep getting AVG alerts. It seems that a virus generator named LOP.AX is still wreaking havoc on my computer. I've googled it and found a lot of people talking about it, but no one offering advice on how to get rid of it.

Formatting my PC is out of the question - I've spent too much time working to customize my pc to have this damn virus ruin it. Not to mention that I have a bunch of programs that I've been writing that span well over 9 gb. Too big for a DVD, and I definitely don't want to lose those.

So, anyone had any experience with this virus? Any ideas?

EDIT: It appears to be fixed, so lets make this a general virus protection thread.

TheSonicRetard on

• Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is this your HijackThis log?

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=95582

It should help in case anyone wants to look at it. But if that's not yours, would you mind posting it?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    IF that's your log, you need to make sure to get rid of DSEntry.exe:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe

That's definitely a worm generator and something you need to rid yourself of ASAP.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That's not mine, and I'm unfamiliar with HijackThis. Can you explain?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Have you tried this yet?
    Hello MaggieKG and welcome to BleepingComputer!

I am logreeval and will be helping you clean your computer.

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe

* Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    * Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    * By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    * Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    * Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    * Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    * At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    * Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    * Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    * Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    * DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

================

Open HijackThis, click Config, click Misc Tools
    Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
    Click "Save List" (generates uninstall_list.txt)
    Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

================

What I need:
    1)HijackThis log
    2)Uninstall list

logreeval

This post has been edited by logreeval: Mar 10 2007, 11:43 AM

Edit: D'oh! Forgot about common courtesy to provide the download link.

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Probably not very well, but I'll try.

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Using this, especially in Safe Mode, allows you to see the processes that your computer is automatically processing when it boots up Windows. This includes programs, DLLs, services, and other possible nuisances. So it's very effective for completely cleaning your computer when scanners fail you.

However, it also of course will detect genuine entries that you may want at startup or require for normal functioning. That's why those forums exist, so people can post their logs and have someone else differentiate for them between the good and bad entries.

So if you post your log on here, we should be able to help you find the bad entries. Although really it's just a matter of using Google to find out about suspicious entries and deleting them accordingly.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This must be something new. The only thing I can think of is the old lop.com toolbar malware that used to attach to IE. If there is an anti spyware program out there that can't get rid of that after two years there is something wrong. Start by scanning the hdd with an av from outside the os, like from a bootable os or bootable av cd.

For manual removal of anything, there are only a few places that viruses can be set to start from, but most can start up again if they are 'touched' by the os. You want to remove from services, startup folder, the registry in the hklm and hklu run and run services. You also want to remove it from hooking into IE (manage add-ons), and from hooking to the explorer.exe shell (this can be done from quite a few of spots in the registry but there is a tool you can use called shellexview that can at least grab the ones that hook via the shell).

You could spend hours doing that and still end up frustrated because you miss something somewhere and it comes back. Your best bet, if you absolutely cannot afford to lose that data, is to shut the machine down for a few days until the av companies release a removal tool for it.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Probably not very well, but I'll try.

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Using this, especially in Safe Mode, allows you to see the processes that your computer is automatically processing when it boots up Windows. This includes programs, DLLs, services, and other possible nuisances. So it's very effective for completely cleaning your computer when scanners fail you.

However, it also of course will detect genuine entries that you may want at startup or require for normal functioning. That's why those forums exist, so people can post their logs and have someone else differentiate for them between the good and bad entries.

So if you post your log on here, we should be able to help you find the bad entries. Although really it's just a matter of using Google to find out about suspicious entries and deleting them accordingly.

That sounds perfect. Let me download it real quick and I'll post my log here.

EDIT: My Log:
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 4:33:19 AM, on 3/12/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Alt+Q Hotkey.exe
    C:\Program Files\UberIcon\UberIcon Manager.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinRoll\winroll.exe
    C:\Program Files\YzShadow\YzShadow.exe
    C:\Program Files\Launchy\Launchy.exe
    C:\Dock\RKLauncher.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Widget Engine\YahooWidgetEngine.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jucheck.exe
    C:\Program Files\uTorrent\utorrent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Need2Find Bar BHO - {4D1C4E81-A32A-416b-BCDB-33B3EF3617D3} - C:\Program Files\Need2Find\bar\1.bin\ND2FNBAR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4D7D6F99-BCAF-4D32-AF8F-96CDDDDE8E38} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebbc.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: Burn4Free Toolbar Helper - {60BF5EE3-0105-4858-AD98-17C19F86B042} - C:\Program Files\Burn4Free Toolbar\v3.2.0.0\Burn4Free_Toolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B07CB267-5E6F-441F-9B3C-324EFE70F897} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebaayv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {D38439EC-4A7F-42b4-90C2-D810D7778FDD} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\blafxmbk.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E03C740E-BB24-4d3c-B92A-6F84DE1DD99C} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vourusgx.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: Loader Class - {F880A4A8-C436-4AC4-AFD1-AA0BDC9552DD} - C:\Setup Files\FindeXer Nightly V1.1.0.3\FindeXer.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Burn4Free Toolbar - {55FAF0F2-44D4-425F-B5F5-6B275B621EAB} - C:\Program Files\Burn4Free Toolbar\v3.2.0.0\Burn4Free_Toolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [System Files Updater] C:\WINDOWS\FlyakiteOSX\Tools\System Files Updater.exe /S
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2chkdsk] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wexfuijn.dll",setvm
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Alt+Q Hotkey Tool] C:\WINDOWS\Alt+Q Hotkey.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [UberIcon] "C:\Program Files\UberIcon\UberIcon Manager.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinRoll] C:\Program Files\WinRoll\winroll.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yz Shadow] C:\Program Files\YzShadow\YzShadow.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Launchy.lnk = C:\Program Files\Launchy\Launchy.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Shortcut to RKLauncher.exe.lnk = C:\Dock\RKLauncher.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Yahoo! Widget Engine.lnk = C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Widget Engine\YahooWidgetEngine.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://kl.bar.need2find.com/KL/menusearch.html?p=KL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - Software - (no file) (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1166418173232
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1166418539729
    O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
    O18 - Filter: text/html - (no CLSID) - (no file)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: gebaayv - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gebaayv.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: gebbc - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebbc.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: MCPClient - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\mcpstub.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) (MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sSQLEXPRESS (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh, and while we're at it, can someone explain to me what having AVG "thow a virus in the vault" does?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh, and while we're at it, can someone explain to me what having AVG "thow a virus in the vault" does?
    That sounds like a quarantine function to me, but I'll let someone who's actually had experience with AVG answer that.

I'll peruse your log and hopefully have some answers soon.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That sounds like a quarantine function to me, but I'll let someone who's actually had experience with AVG answer that.

I'll peruse your log and hopefully have some answers soon.

Thanks a ton. At the same time I'm googling every line of my log, starting at the bottom up.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I believe google says C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe is something that needs to be deleted. Let me recheck.

No, I visit a website frequently which explains what processes are, and if you need them.

That's my ATI video card's manager program.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    I don't see anything glaringly suspicious in that log.

Echo on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I believe google says C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe is something that needs to be deleted. Let me recheck.

No, I visit a website frequently which explains what processes are, and if you need them.

That's my ATI video card's manager program.
    Yes, this is why I deleted my post. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Actually, there's quite a few baddies in his log:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B07CB267-5E6F-441F-9B3C-324EFE70F897} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebaayv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {D38439EC-4A7F-42b4-90C2-D810D7778FDD} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\blafxmbk.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E03C740E-BB24-4d3c-B92A-6F84DE1DD99C} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vourusgx.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: Need2Find Bar BHO - {4D1C4E81-A32A-416b-BCDB-33B3EF3617D3} - C:\Program Files\Need2Find\bar\1.bin\ND2FNBAR.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: Burn4Free Toolbar - {55FAF0F2-44D4-425F-B5F5-6B275B621EAB} - C:\Program Files\Burn4Free Toolbar\v3.2.0.0\Burn4Free_Toolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Loader Class - {F880A4A8-C436-4AC4-AFD1-AA0BDC9552DD} - C:\Setup Files\FindeXer Nightly V1.1.0.3\FindeXer.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2chkdsk] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wexfuijn.dll",setvm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://kl.bar.need2find.com/KL/menusearch.html?p=KL

Those should be cleaned ASAP.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, these are kinda funky:

Looks like random names - something crapware likes to do to hide itself. Googling the file names finds nothing.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I can explain some of those. FindXer is a finder clone for windows.

Burn4Free toolbar is my CD burning software.

No clue on the Need2Find, though.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I can explain some of those. FindXer is a finder clone for windows.

Burn4Free toolbar is my CD burning software.

No clue on the Need2Find, though.
    I'm not so sure you need the Burn4Free toolbar, but feel free to keep it. Sorry about the "FindXer" though, I just kinda threw it in there because of it's proximity to Need2Find.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Also, HijackThis is a great way to find old cruft you had no idea was running.

*cleans old cruft*

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Echo wrote: »

*cleans old cruft*

Yeah, this program seems great, but extremely powerful.

I removed the files and my computer is flying now. I see an immediate speed increase, so hopefully that was what it needed.

What should I do now?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wait, I just ran it again, and gebaavy.dll is still showing up.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

*cleans old cruft*

I removed the files and my computer is flying now. I see an immediate speed increase, so hopefully that was what it needed.

What should I do now?
    I'd rescan and post your log here. Chances are that if traces remain, they've already begun generating themselves and should show up.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

*cleans old cruft*

What should I do now?
    I'd rescan and post your log here. Chances are that if traces remain, they've already begun generating themselves and should show up.
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 4:53:12 AM, on 3/12/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Alt+Q Hotkey.exe
    C:\Program Files\UberIcon\UberIcon Manager.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinRoll\winroll.exe
    C:\Program Files\YzShadow\YzShadow.exe
    C:\Program Files\Launchy\Launchy.exe
    C:\Dock\RKLauncher.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jucheck.exe
    C:\Program Files\uTorrent\utorrent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [System Files Updater] C:\WINDOWS\FlyakiteOSX\Tools\System Files Updater.exe /S
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Alt+Q Hotkey Tool] C:\WINDOWS\Alt+Q Hotkey.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [UberIcon] "C:\Program Files\UberIcon\UberIcon Manager.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinRoll] C:\Program Files\WinRoll\winroll.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yz Shadow] C:\Program Files\YzShadow\YzShadow.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Launchy.lnk = C:\Program Files\Launchy\Launchy.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Shortcut to RKLauncher.exe.lnk = C:\Dock\RKLauncher.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Yahoo! Widget Engine.lnk = C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Widget Engine\YahooWidgetEngine.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - Software - (no file) (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1166418173232
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1166418539729
    O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
    O18 - Filter: text/html - (no CLSID) - (no file)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: MCPClient - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\mcpstub.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) (MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sSQLEXPRESS (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's definitely cleaner, but these entries remain:

I'd boot into Safe Mode, try to delete that file, and then rescan (while remaining in Safe Mode) and fix those entries if they still exists. I'd also save a copy of your Safe Mode log and post it here, because sometimes "badware" is capable of hiding itself in normal Windows mode and won't show up in HijackThis scans until you're in Safe Mode.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ever used a program called StartUpList? I just found it on the website that I got HijackThis from.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yes, and it's much more comprehensive as you've probably already guessed. In my limited experience with helping myself and others cleanse their machines, it's usually overkill and a careful look with HijackThis is usually all you need. However, if you're still suspicious, feel free to link to your StartupList log and I could look at that as well.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You could try a free online scan with Kaspersky. It's one of the better AV engines out there, and it's probably a good idea to try it out every now and then just to get a second opinion (especially seeing as AVG is a rather good, but not great AV software).

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm looking through it and I see several mentions of gebaayv.dll in my startup list. If I right click I can jump to a regedit entry... I haven't used RegEdit since windows 95, so before I begin to get over my head, can you still remove items by adding (rem) prior to their entry in RegEdit XP?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm looking through it and I see several mentions of gebaayv.dll in my startup list. If I right click I can jump to a regedit entry... I haven't used RegEdit since windows 95, so before I begin to get over my head, can you still remove items by adding (rem) prior to their entry in RegEdit XP?
    I'm honestly not sure about that, but in Windows XP you have the option of right-clicking and picking delete as well. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood something and that's not what you meant.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm honestly not sure about that, but in Windows XP you have the option of right-clicking and picking delete as well. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood something and that's not what you meant.

Er, yeah, after I typed that I actually launched reg edit and it's vastly different from what I used.

Back in windows 95, RegEdit was basically a glorified text editor, with every registry item being listed in plain text.

It was a good idea not to delete stuff because, should you fuck up and delete the wrong file, you'd want to be able to get it back easily, so rather than deleting entries, you could just add (rem) before the entry. This would basically delete it, but you could bring it back by removing the (rem) entry.

Does the new regedit have anything similar?

Also, kinda funny, but as a side effect of all this microcleaning, Internet Explorer has become squeeky clean. I normally don't use IE (I use either FF or Opera) but every now and then I'd use it, and it was cluttered with shit that I don't need.

Now it looks like a fresh install.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Er, yeah, after I typed that I actually launched reg edit and it's vastly different from what I used.

Back in windows 95, RegEdit was basically a glorified text editor, with every registry item being listed in plain text.

It was a good idea not to delete stuff because, should you fuck up and delete the wrong file, you'd want to be able to get it back easily, so rather than deleting entries, you could just add (rem) before the entry. This would basically delete it, but you could bring it back by removing the (rem) entry.

Also, kinda funny, but as a side effect of all this microcleaning, Internet Explorer has become squeeky clean. I normally don't use IE (I use either FF or Opera) but every now and then I'd use it, and it was cluttered with shit that I don't need.

I know what you speak of, and if you want that kind of functionality I'd just rename the different names of registry entries you wish to render useless. That should have the exact same functionality.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I know what you speak of, and if you want that kind of functionality I'd just rename the different names of registry entries you wish to render useless. That should have the exact same functionality.

I'm curious - how does that work the same? Is there a list on my computer somewhere of the names of registry entries it's supposed to load up or something?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm curious - how does that work the same? Is there a list on my computer somewhere of the names of registry entries it's supposed to load up or something?

Registry hives are binary blobs, unfortunately. They are located in \WINDOWS\system32\config\

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Interesting.

Well, I just ran the virus scan link someone posted above, but it's gonna take a long while. In the meantime, it's 6:45 am and I need some sleep.

Thanks a ton to everyone for their help, I knew I could count on PA. I'll post the results and some more logfiles when I wake up in the morning-ish.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That's definitely a worm generator and something you need to rid yourself of ASAP.

If ihe is running a stock install on a Dell, it is likely just the DVD sentry. It is safe to disable, it disables autorun on disc insertion. You can do the same thing with a registry edit or using tweakxp, without the hassle of wasting space and resources for that little app.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So I woke up and the virus scan software linked before returned no viruses.

However, there were also 2 internet explorer popups open when I woke up (I use firefox and opera, so I know they're not legit popups) and HijackThis still shows gebaayv.dll.

Time for round two... Any other suggestions?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not a specific suggestion, but http://www.hijackthis.de/ is a pretty good HJT analyzer. Just paste your log there and it will tell you what's typically bad.

In addition, following this guide has gotten rid of spyware on every machine I've cleaned (I used to clean machines for monies in college). It's pretty involved, but it's thorough. And thorough is necessary.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

wait. DSentry is evil? i'm reading online that it seems to be installed on many Dell comps.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Guys, he has already found what's wrong. He just wants to know how to get rid of this relatively new piece of malware.

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Not a specific suggestion, but http://www.hijackthis.de/ is a pretty good HJT analyzer. Just paste your log there and it will tell you what's typically bad.

In addition, following this guide has gotten rid of spyware on every machine I've cleaned (I used to clean machines for monies in college). It's pretty involved, but it's thorough. And thorough is necessary.

Er... not that I don't appreciate this, but you (along with everyone telling me to get rid of DSentry) should read the thread.

We've been working on this for hours and you are just telling me stuff I've already done.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Er... not that I don't appreciate this, but you (along with everyone telling me to get rid of DSentry) should read the thread.

We've been working on this for hours and you are just telling me stuff I've already done.

Hmm... It would still be a good idea to post all of your logs on Major Geeks though, as they probably live for this kinda stuff.

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif