Options

Tam and Friends [DOODLE] Hour [NSFW]

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wanted to practice a portrait, should probably use reference but I think it came out OK! How do I know if I'm using the smudge tool too much?

3dicr391ukkj.png

Edit: Also a strange sketch I symmetry'd.

n3a24cqkiazn.png

Edit: Really don't like the way I do portraits after looking at other art online. Gotta work on it...

F87 on
  • Options
    sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Some sketches I did today

D0gJYWzl.jpg

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Hello AC. Been a while. I convinced myself to get back into drawing a couple days ago. Renting Photoshop is pretty cool, too.
    I still like drawing this character, but now she's more of punk girl with part of a dragon for an arm and a fin spine mohawk (kinda Savage Dragon-ish). I'd like to make a webcomic about them going on adventures in a cyberpunk dystopia. Does that sound cool? I think it sounds cool. And even though this is a doodle, please crit me on anatomy, etc. Gotta get better at those anatomies.
    UgWAnKk.png

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    Really don't like the way I do portraits after looking at other art online. Gotta work on it...

I'm sure I've suggested this to you before, but do some studies from reference.

Developing your knowledge of facial construction and anatomy will grow your "toolbox" when making imagined portraiture. Studying real faces will help you invest more soul and personality into the made up ones.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Oh of course I work on a new portrait all day and then see your post @Scosglen . I promise I didn't ignore your advice.

ola6i7d8q349.png

Edit: Start of my face studies! This sort of style looks bad on the ladies ha
    dm83gsfw9lit.png

F87 on
  • Options
    AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »

Edit: Start of my face studies! This sort of style looks bad on the ladies ha

I like those sketches!

5dztvtkm34br.jpg

I imagine even magic school is boring sometimes!

My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • Options
    Oh Ammaline. I love your fanarts.

I did another portrait! Portrait frenzy! Is this a convincing beard?

r1v0b4zjawnh.png

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Needs some texture. Looks like a fake beard at the moment. Have you tried using textured brushes? Something like the ones from Zedig's brush pack nr 2. The edge control around the eyes is pretty awesome.

m3nace on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    tumblr_nbq819avPV1qmev06o1_500.jpg

tumblr_naykuduXiS1qmev06o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nanchq6sOL1qmev06o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n9wtqghW9Y1qmev06o1_500.jpg

also you can tell i have no idea how to digitally paint and please save me

RubberAC on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    In preparation for actually posting in this forum and push myself to actually draw more I will start myself off easy by posting a doodle math lecture notes in the doodle thread
    3305u8p.jpg
    Very unoriginal I know. And the line weight went to hell because I only had my 0.1 pen.

speaking of, does anyone have any good tips for getting dynamic lines? I'm terrible at it. It's pretty much always just a set of different uniform width lines.

EDIT: More doodles and stuff. I promise I have as a goal to make stuff that would warrant a thread. It's a nice goal.
    2ef6e52.jpgnnv0hj.jpg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    m3nace wrote: »
    Needs some texture. Looks like a fake beard at the moment. Have you tried using textured brushes? Something like the ones from Zedig's brush pack nr 2. The edge control around the eyes is pretty awesome.

I tried them out, beard looks better! Thanks @m3nace‌

Edit: Update!
    6hughlr0gd6b.png

F87 on
  • Options
    @Abdhyius‌

Have you ever tried a brush pen? You might like it! With a bit of practice its a great way to do line work.

My art tumblr
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ammaline wrote: »
    @Abdhyius‌

Have you ever tried a brush pen? You might like it! With a bit of practice its a great way to do line work.

Yeah, ive got one. Never got the hang of it. And now its splitting. Maybe its too big (and maybe i should draw bigger)

Using filt pens for anything but uniform lines does sees foolish. But like i have little sense of how to weight what line except like, outlines

EDIT: theyre great for the mechanical parts of which i am so fond, though. Becoming a mechanical engineer is what i spend my time inbetween doodling on.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Did some quick thumbs of my favorite war room idea.
    0tv783fttacl.png

Then as I was sketching one of them out, got carried away changing things until it looked nothing like the idea... : \

8afd84300cf6.png

• Options
    Ugh, sorry, spamming everyone. I'm really not fishing for a particular answer, but am I posting too much? As in, should I make my own thread instead of here every time?

Anyway, I am not fond of reddit as a whole, but I found out yesterday that there is a subreddit all about drawing people's table top characters and I thought it sounded fun!
    Is there something like that on the PA forums do you think?

I tried some different sketching styles for a change, which was fun--but I absolutely don't know how I would want to try painting them so I left them as is!

6s9na8m9ui94.jpg

My art tumblr
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    All things considered, I will always encourage people to post in their own threads, when it comes to seeing peoples work evolve and promoting the kind of critique and conversation the AC is good at, threads work best. Its also a good resource for yourself, I still regularly go back in my thread and read old critiques about my work that still apply.

That being said, I haven't kicked anybody out of the doodle thread for mostly living in it, so you're probably okay.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    All things considered, I will always encourage people to post in their own threads, when it comes to seeing peoples work evolve and promoting the kind of critique and conversation the AC is good at, threads work best. Its also a good resource for yourself, I still regularly go back in my thread and read old critiques about my work that still apply.

That being said, I haven't kicked anybody out of the doodle thread for mostly living in it, so you're probably okay.

Thanks for the answer! Maybe I'll make my own thread and then just update when I have a few or something I'd especially like to show. I've been very busy lately and even if it's not too obnoxious yet I don't want to get to that point either, lol :expressionless:

My art tumblr
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    4AmRHLq.jpg

Quick one during lunch

Edit:

qvYNx8T.jpg

Whoop worked a little more on another sketch from lunch

zapattack on
    www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    This drawing is all @Tam, with me slapping some extremely quick colors underneath to test something out, and it was incredibly fun.

sharkyman.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm going to try to draw some people and try for some critique on that, since I really want to learn that

but first here are some guns I drew for @21stCentury's (hello!) thing

smpvmh.png

The idea was the modularity - I've drawn two guns of each style here, composed of three parts, and then that makes eight possible combos (although all eight combos weren't terribly interesting for the red/black ones so I think I'll need to add a third color scheme thingy here)

where I've fucked up of course is making this digitally by tracing my drawings in Paint.Net and not a vector program

also, a question: the coloring was meant to be just placeholder click-and-fill flat colors, but I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to how to do better coloring with a bit of shading in it quickly, efficiently (to complete the whole project would take a looooot more guns) and without a tablet

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    BTW, Abdhy, I forget, have you come up with a non-Abstergoey logo for Futura?

• Options
    BTW, Abdhy, I forget, have you come up with a non-Abstergoey logo for Futura?

yeah I just haven't updated the paint.net crap I think I'll redo it in vectors at some point along with the Svarog stuff

anyway yeah it was the slanted F thing

14kv8jk.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Stretching my mechanical ability, and since I like Brian Lee O'Malley's art style for Scott Pilgrim, I figured I'd do a thing of his book 1 cover art.
    Man, sketching and line art work are so choice on a surface pro. resizing stuff is a breeze and whatever breakage there is was easily redone.
    while sketching I hit an epiphany. different colors for different things. Helps me out so much with knowing exactly what I'm drawing.
    I noticed in my inking I had a tendency to start tone work. I need to stop doing that.

spoiler for big sketch and big line art pic
    ScottPilgrmBoon_sketch_zpsddcb15b7.jpg
    ScottPilgrmBoon_line_zpsbaca65f8.jpg

I need to do some research into color work, namely how to process it quicker. I took a brush and basically treated my line art as a coloring book. Nope wont do that again.

I am super jelly of everyone in this forum's color theory.
    final pic
    ScottPilgrmBoon_zpsca6bb844.jpg

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Did this weird fucker.
    tumblr_nbwlw3nS6E1s37o1ho1_1280.png

• Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Haven't posted in PA for a long time but I feel like I need to be part of more doodle/sketch threads.

Still trying to get better at digital painting, a Under Night In-Birth: Exe Late version of Riesbyfe from Melty Blood. (holy shit this is a ton of words.)
    YOAqOZb.jpg

Some sketches I did in a "DRAW ME" thread on Facepunch:
    vu55kOR.jpg

Some other doodles: Dota 2:
    BHRjR8K.jpg

And eyebrows:
    LFl8s6B.jpg

Ross_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Vroom redux. Figured out how to do the lighting properly.
    tumblr_nbwlw3nS6E1s37o1ho1_r1_1280.png

m3nace on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    The nose being squished to our left confuses my brain.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    LazarusKingLazarusKing Registered User regular
    The nose being squished to our left confuses my brain.

It looks like he may have had his head facing that way, but he's turned it back. His lips are like that too. The first image is a little clearer.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Been playing a ton of Destiny

Gots it on the brain, so I drew a destiny-esque exo/robot face

uy0dx4o4cvro.jpg

• Options
    Damnit Wass! You are too good...

How is Destiny btw? I've heard mixed reviews.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm looking for feedback on this. I've gotten to a point where I'm gonna let it chill for a few days and come back with fresh eyes before I do more work on it.

It's a gift for a friend, supposed to be John Marston from Red Dead

I'm mostly concerned with the face and likeness. It doesn't need to be a perfect resemblance to the character, but It's not quite as good as I would like right now, and I'm not sure where I can bring it closer. Any other problems with proportions or the drawing in general are also good information, I'm a little bothered by something but I can't quite put my finger on where the problem is. I am relatively pleased with how the colors are working out, but comments on palette are also very welcome. Everything but the face is obviously super rough and will receive refinement at a later step.

idfTc0r.jpg

Scosglen on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    @Scosglen‌
    I think the two major things (because I think you've gotten a good likeness otherwise) is that his hair is actually dark dark dark - if not black, then near black brown. And greasy. The second thing is that I think his eyes should be a lot more deep/sunken. Right now, the eyes look extended close to the level of the bridge of the nose.

@F87‌
    I'm really really really enjoying Destiny personally. Its clearly not a game for everyone and its not the coming of the Messiah in game form that it had to be to get good reviews - but I would say its a really damn fun game. Think Halo + Diablo and you'll get a fairly good idea. Also the story is pretty terrible. But the lore is pretty great!

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Are you using a specific image as reference, or just trying to amass a likeness from a bunch of photos?

One of the unfortunate things about drawing a videogame character is that you might have to copy some weirdness inherent in the original model. It's looking pretty good right now, though! I found this image which seems a pretty close angle to what you're aiming for...what stands out most to me right now is the nose might need to be pulled back a bit.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, cobbling together a likeness from a bunch of references of the model is a bit odd, he seems to change appearance from every angle.

I definitely think that I need to do some fiddling with the nose and eyes. I will try sinking the eyes a bit more and experimenting with the shape of the nose.

Scosglen on
  • Options
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I agree with wasser that even without looking at a ref, his eyes are out too far, making the top of his face look flat.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I fiddled around with the anatomy and roughed in a new shape for the cast shadow from the hat brim as as experiment.

Better?

t3Qrrkx.jpg

• Options
    zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    UAJ1kmK.png
    usMXMXR.png

zapattack on
    www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I fiddled around with the anatomy and roughed in a new shape for the cast shadow from the hat brim as as experiment.

Better?

Yeah! I had another look and went to a ref and two big things I think might help are the shape of his right eye and upper eyelid. Yours looks more like he's sleepy, where he just seems to have these heavy square upper eyelids. Also his nose seems to be more curved in and not as defined towards the tip.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111211091538/reddeadredemption/images/3/38/John_marston_gallery40.jpg

bombardier on