Options

Presidential Election 2012: I'm too old for this Mitt.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    no he doesn't. he's a terrible candidate no one likes with a base that is insane. who knows what obama has left over for when the real campaigning actually starts

but people like his running mate.

and it doesn't matter that people like him, there are people who just despise obama and who want to see terrible things happen to him. they will vote for romney no matter what.

People liked Palin at first too, looks how that turned out

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    jaziek wrote: »
    what are you talking about. romney is a terrible candidate who only has a chance of winning because of the vast amount of money he has, and even then it's not a very good one at all. then in 2016 they get to go up against a white male so there goes half their reason for being upset

That makes it a damn good chance. This thing hasn't even gotten started yet.

And in 2016, the fact that it's gonna be a white male again is gonna be just as much of a detriment to the the democrats as it is to the republicans.

Hillary will be the nominee if she decides to run

assuming her campaign doesn't implode in the next primary

Shorty on
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    no he doesn't. he's a terrible candidate no one likes with a base that is insane. who knows what obama has left over for when the real campaigning actually starts

and it doesn't matter that people like him, there are people who just despise obama and who want to see terrible things happen to him. they will vote for romney no matter what.

That's because she was an idiot.

Paul Ryan is one of the most intelligent members of Congress, he'll roll over Biden when the debates come.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Paul Ryan gave Mitt Romney the second-smallest vice-presidential polling bump in history. The only less popular pick was Sarah Palin.

Add that to his difficult to swallow and easy to attack policies, and I think it's clear that Ryan is not going to catapult Romney to victory.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular

His base isn't insane. His base is 40+% of the American public. I don't know how many people you think actually give a flying fuck about anything at all to do with politics and won't just vote one way or another on the day regardless of any actually relevant factors, but it isn't all that many.
    what are you talking about. romney is a terrible candidate who only has a chance of winning because of the vast amount of money he has, and even then it's not a very good one at all. then in 2016 they get to go up against a white male so there goes half their reason for being upset

And in 2016, the fact that it's gonna be a white male again is gonna be just as much of a detriment to the the democrats as it is to the republicans.

Hillary will be the nominee if she decides to run, other than that, Elizabeth Warren is the new star of the party.

Even worse then. The GOP mud-slinging campaign practically writes itself if the opponent is a woman.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

The only reason that happened in 08 was because of Obama.

• Options

Paul Ryan is one of the most intelligent members of Congress, he'll roll over Biden when the debates come.

no, he isn't

he's just good at word salad

• Options
    edited August 2012

Paul Ryan is one of the most intelligent members of Congress

What

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Even if the republicans somehow manage to not win the coming election. they're almost certain to win the one after that without much trouble.

How do you figure that?

Hillary will be the nominee if she decides to run, other than that, Elizabeth Warren is the new star of the party.

Hillary might try to be the nominee if she wins but she's not impossible to beat.

Yes, those people are Republicans. Even many of them loathe both candidates. Romney & Ryan will have a tougher time appealing to independents, moderate Republicans and Democrats than Obama and Biden.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    people don't like ryan and he is what a dumb person thinks a smart person sounds like. newt greengrinch

warren hasn't even won her senate election yet. she is pretty unlikely, democrats already have 2 incredibly popular people who are probably prepping for 2016.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

Paul Ryan is one of the most intelligent members of Congress

What
    dbrock is either an elemental of opposition or the embodiment of reddit

no reason to engage him

• Options
    I mean, this is the guy that managed to have both sides of congress tell him his ideas are stupid. What was Romney thinking

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

No, he isn't. He's read Atlas Shrugged. This does not make him an intellectual.

Biden, on the other hand, is famous for being strong in debates. He has deep experience in that field. If anyone's going to be a clear loser in the debates, it'll be the faux-intellectual college boy.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    whoops, double post

I'm Butler For Life #1 and I approve this message or something

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    Paul Ryan is a great choice for a running mate, he lacks all of the traits Romney has, he is charismatic, he is an intellectual, he can articulate his view points extremely well on issues, can cite facts and date, quote from philosophers, like I've said in the D&D election thread, he's intellect incarnate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUURFSMwA-0

• Options

Don't believe the hype. Ryan hasn't impressed me at all. You underestimate Biden, this time around he won't have to hold back like he did for Palin and he still kicked her ass in the debates.
    Shorty wrote: »

The only reason that happened in 08 was because of Obama.

Didn't she struggle with the Democratic primary rules? IIRC she thought they were going with Republican style for an unknown reason. She won't do herself any favors if she gets Mark Penn back on the campaign trail, either.

• Options
    he's "intellect incarnate".

Right.

The man who can't even figure out the Randian philosophies he claims to love so much is intellect incarnate.

Let's save that sort of phrasing for nobel prize winners, the folks who discovered the Higgs-Boson and people like Stephen Hawking. Not a congressman who can say any damn thing he wants and be considered smart because he's handsome.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Paul Ryan is a great choice for a running mate, he lacks all of the traits Romney has, he is charismatic, he is an intellectual, he can articulate his view points extremely well on issues, can cite facts and date, quote from philosophers, like I've said in the D&D election thread, he's intellect incarnate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUURFSMwA-0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    people don't like ryan and he is what a dumb person thinks a smart person sounds like. newt greengrinch

warren hasn't even won her senate election yet. she is pretty unlikely, democrats already have 2 incredibly popular people who are probably prepping for 2016.

People love Ryan.

He's handsome, has a good demeanour, and says things that seem to be well thought out and true on the face of it.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Good ol' Obamastein2012AA.

face of youtube respectability right there.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Didn't Romney drop even further in the polls after his announcement of Ryan as his running mate?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Didn't Romney drop even further in the polls after his announcement of Ryan as his running mate?

Gallup and Rasmussen have him ahead last time I checked.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    He rose slightly, but it was an extremely small bump-the only VP pick to produce a worse bump was Palin.

• Options
    He rose slightly, but it was an extremely small bump-the only VP pick to produce a worse bump was Palin.

• Options
    intelligence =/= public speaking

you know who else is really good at public speaking?

william lane craig

ken hamm

lots of other idiots

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    shit, I'm a pretty alright public speaker

it says nothing about how smart someone is

• Options
    You know who Ryan reminds me of?

Televangelists. He talks well, but that doesn't mean what he's saying means anything at all.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'm a fuckin awesome public speaker and I'm a goddamn idiot.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Gallup and Rasmussen have him ahead last time I checked.
    Gallup also has Ryan with their highest unfavorable numbers for a VP pick since Quayle.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    shit, I'm a pretty alright public speaker

it says nothing about how smart someone is

Antimatter '12 :mrgreen:

• Options
    Hell, Vermin Supreme is a good public speaker. And he wears a boot on his head

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ryan and Romney both strike me as being about as genuine as a fuckin three dollar bill.

• Options
    Ryan and Romney both strike me as being about as genuine as a fuckin three dollar bill.

oh, they are both fake

this is fact

Romney with his whole pretending to be a regular person thing
    "As for Mitt Romney? For some reason, the guy has always reminded me of Tom Cruise, and I never could figure out exactly why that was. It's not that both men have made People magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People list, even though they have; or that both men belong to religions that creep everyone else out, even though they do; or that both men are ridiculously wealthy and unnaturally moisturized, even though they are. It wasn't until watching Romney's South Carolina concession speech that I finally realized what it was about him that made me think of Cruise.

In all his movies and, more importantly for our purposes, in all his talk show appearances, Cruise only comes in one flavor—INTENSE. Even when he's not gibbering up and down on an overstuffed settee, he's staring directly at the person he's talking to, his jaw clenched, his eyes smoky and penetrative. He can't make jokes, because jokes are born of nuance and self-understanding, and Tom Cruise doesn't have time for any of that shit. He's busy being Tom Cruise all the goddamned time, and the only thing harder than being Tom Cruise all the time is being Tom Cruise when he's pretending to interact with other human beings.

For the last six years, Romney has set his formidable brain to one task: become the perfect Republican presidential candidate. He's surrounded himself with the best political team money can buy. He's financed extensive surveys of early primary states, he's paid experts ridiculous sums of money to run scenarios for every single eventuality that could occur in the 2012 campaign, and he's in all likelihood dropped exorbitant sums of money in the laps of branding experts to tell him at what angle he should hold the microphone away from his body to look most presidential.

But like Tom Cruise, Mitt Romney gets lost in the Uncanny Valley because his outsize ambition blinds him. He's spending all of his time thinking about what a perfect presidential candidate should say and look like and do rather than being a presidential candidate." http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-messy-rebirth-of-newt-gingrich/Content?oid=11978122

Ryan is basically a straight-up liar; he's recognized that being in American politics means you can lie whenever you feel like it and there will be no significant consequences. This is how he gets away with calling his Ayn Rand appreciation "an urban legend," and saying that he'll be able to pay for his budget with cuts to loopholes without ever actually saying which loopholes will be cut (and in some cases specifically saying that he's going to keep some of them, like the capital gains tax), and saying that his plan for Medicare will be good for people who use Medicare.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    maybe the crazies love ryan, the reception from everyone else over his vp nom was extremely lukewarm and barely registered in polling. his budget is not popular with well... anyone.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Can I just say

I would love to be able to vote for Elizabeth Warren.

I think she's got a lot of potential. She appears on The Daily Show every year for the last four years, she's even been on Colbert. She's from Massachusetts (has the nominee for both parties ever come from the same state?). She'd be a great pick.

Granted, she needs to win the Senate race first, but after that the only thing -really- standing in her way is the similarity with Obama of being a minority Democrat still in their first senatorial term (although she has her congressional career to distinguish her, vs Obama's state legislative career).

Again, I would love to be able to vote for Elizabeth Warren.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I'd even go so far as to say, a
    maybe the crazies love ryan, the reception from everyone else over his vp nom was extremely lukewarm and barely registered in polling. his budget is not popular with well... anyone.

Once again. Just because you, and people you know, hold an opinion, does not make that the only opinion out there.

republicans arent complaining about ryan, and independent voters aren't immediately dismissing him.

Good pick.

• Options
    I'd even go so far as to say, a

Once again. Just because you, and people you know, hold an opinion, does not make that the only opinion out there.

republicans arent complaining about ryan, and independent voters aren't immediately dismissing him.

Good pick.

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Can I just say

I would love to be able to vote for Elizabeth Warren.

I think she's got a lot of potential. She appears on The Daily Show every year for the last four years, she's even been on Colbert. She's from Massachusetts (has the nominee for both parties ever come from the same state?). She'd be a great pick.

Granted, she needs to win the Senate race first, but after that the only thing -really- standing in her way is the similarity with Obama of being a minority Democrat still in their first senatorial term (although she has her congressional career to distinguish her, vs Obama's state legislative career).

Again, I would love to be able to vote for Elizabeth Warren.
    I'm voting for her here in Mass so yeah

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Great, you can't edit posts with the mobile version of the site. Sorry about double posts

This discussion has been closed.