As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Presidential Election 2012: I'm too old for this Mitt.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Another great thing I heard on that station, I think it was Sean Hannity, going on about how "The Left don't listen to reason, they make all of their decisions based on emotions."

Then a minute later goes on about how sharp Romney is for picking Ryan, that Romney picked him, and made other decisions based on 'his gut'

WHAT

I can't bring myself to believe Sean Hannity exists.

he really is a tough sell

if I had a time machine, I'm not sure I'd be able to convince someone from 1985 that he's real

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i think it's dangerous to mischaracterize romney as actually stupid, because i suspect he's an astute businessman / competent political strategist, he just totally lacks charisma

most of our high level political players probably aren't literally dumb, just horrifying moral vacuums

rick santorum's colleagues have said that he is dumb as hell

well that isn't surprising

not even the most delusional fundies tried to promote santorum as an astute statesman or anything though

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Another great thing I heard on that station, I think it was Sean Hannity, going on about how "The Left don't listen to reason, they make all of their decisions based on emotions."

Then a minute later goes on about how sharp Romney is for picking Ryan, that Romney picked him, and made other decisions based on 'his gut'

WHAT

if I had a time machine, I'm not sure I'd be able to convince someone from 1985 that he's real

1985 wouldn't believe any of this shit

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    1984, meanwhile

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    reagan would be a libby lib lib in this political climate

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    If America can vote Reagan into office we can vote Romney into office.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Jars wrote: »
    reagan would be a libby lib lib in this political climate

people have been saying this a lot lately

and I think it's bullshit

if you plucked Reagan from 1980 and brought him to 2012, he wouldn't join up with the dems

he'd just run harder to the right

he was a shithead

the political climate at the time only allowed him to be a certain kind of shithead

this doesn't mean he wouldn't be a bigger shithead if he was able

a better claim is that "reagan's policies were liberal by today's standards"

Shorty on
  • Options
    romney vs carter

that would see record low voter turnout

• Options
    Actually Nixon was farther to the left than Obama.

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

WHAT

1985 wouldn't believe any of this shit

Doc-Brown.jpg

the actor?!

• Options
    nixon established the epa which republicans now want to get rid of

the lakefront here just got closed due to pollution coming up from stuff buried below it in the 1930s. bet that's great for the local economy

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Nixon also began federal funding of Planned Parenthood.

And he proposed a national health care system that didn't really work out.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    who is this mysterious bluedude152 with nixopinions

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    thepotato232thepotato232 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Solar wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkson said he should fuck off which is the only time I've ever agreed with Jeremy Clarkson

wish they'd both fuck off together forever, really

I know Clarkson is one of the more offensive loudmouths on England's conservative fringe, but it needs to be said that his public persona and political views are nowhere even approaching what passes for "conservative" in the U.S. these days.

He cheerily dismiss the Colonies as a dystopian clusterfuck. His programs often trade in self-deprecating and self-aware humor. He is capable (on occasion) of shutting the fuck up about politics and talking about cars. He has liberal politicians on his shows, behaves himself in what would pass for a cordial manner over here, and occasionally allows said libs to talk. The things he says and writes put him proudly in the "awful troglodyte" camp, but the network he appears on acknowledges this and doesn't try to pass him off as some kind of elder sage.

Put it this way: Can you think of one U.S. right-wing pudit you'd trade Jeremy Clarkson for?

thepotato232 on
  • Options
    my understanding has always been that the english 'conservatives' are closer to our democrats then anything else

if i had to think of a paralell to the american republican party, based on my nebulous and arrogant understand of foreign politics, i'd equate them with the EDL

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    This actually seems pretty clear cut. You are not legally allowed to have two valid IDs in different states. The person who wrote the article was trying to break the rules and did not read the requirements ahead of time.

If he had gone in there soley to get a voter ID and followed the rules he would have been issued one. The person at the DMV doesn't give two shits about you, voting, who you vote for or any other thing. They care about keeping their job and not having some ass hole supervisor bitching them out because they can't follow the simple rules.

Follow the rules and you can have your free ID card.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    i like the comment about the other side having no gauntlet to throw back; they're stuck with Mittens

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    trickle down snake oil going into regular vocabulary

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    who is this mysterious bluedude152 with nixopinions

Its impossible to browse on mobile without accidentally agreeing

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Fandyien

Fandy

Fandy

I love Doc Martin so fucking much

yeah i am totally getting into it

the doctor has a heart as big as his ears

He has huge ears. I bought my dad the season 1-4 box set for christmas and every episode is fantastic. Season 5 needs to finish and come out on DvD in the US because I never remembered to watch it on TV

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    what are you talking about. romney is a terrible candidate who only has a chance of winning because of the vast amount of money he has, and even then it's not a very good one at all. then in 2016 they get to go up against a white male so there goes half their reason for being upset

You're forgetting that a lot of people HATE Obama from all sides of the political spectrum.

Romney has a good chance of winning this election.
    Hillary will be the nominee if she decides to run, other than that, Elizabeth Warren is the new star of the party.
    but people like his running mate.

and it doesn't matter that people like him, there are people who just despise obama and who want to see terrible things happen to him. they will vote for romney no matter what.

@dbrock270 , if Romney wins, I will buy you a $10 game on Steam, but only on the condition that if Obama wins, you stop prognosticating political outcomes, candidate futures, and public sentiments until the day after the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular

The first couple of debates should be fun if obama hits with language like that.

I would love to have him ask Romney how much money he has overseas too.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Page late, but wasn't there a Biden gaffe where he was trying to get a guy to stand up and be recognized, and the guy was disabled?

Also the big fucking deal comment.

...if you consider those gaffes.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Overton_window

:whistle:

• Options
    Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM PT: Update: It turns out the DMV website has a link that says only checks and money orders are accepted, so that was my error. Still, it is a barrier to only accept these forms of payment, and much more importantly and totally separate from the driver's license payment issue, is that after realizing I couldn't get my license transferred that day, I was denied free voter ID when I asked for it.

Actually I pretty much agree with this component. It's DMV policy to only accept cash, and legally cash is the only thing they're required to accept.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    ugh it's so silly

cash is a pain

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Cash is technically the only form of payment somebody is legally required to accept. I think businesses that turn away cash (in person, over the internet is obviously different) can face penalties.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Unless that business is the government.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It is not required to accept cash unless there's some region specific law/statute to that effect.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    And someone pointed it out earlier, but that dude wasn't refused a state ID because they were repressing his right to vote or anything like that. They legitimately refused to issue him one because his license is still valid for another state. All he has to do is go back with an accepted form of payment and get his license changed over. End of story.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    couldn't he have invalidated his current ID somehow? cut it in half or something?

also, completely off topic, i'm watching the FP right now. what the fuck.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Destroying his ID wouldn't magically make it valid in Pennsylvania, or invalid in his home state. He'd still need to get it replaced or transferred.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    if you physically disrupt the ID, you break its enchantment and it no longer holds any power over you

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    clint eastwood joke

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Jeremy Clarkson said he should fuck off which is the only time I've ever agreed with Jeremy Clarkson

I know Clarkson is one of the more offensive loudmouths on England's conservative fringe, but it needs to be said that his public persona and political views are nowhere even approaching what passes for "conservative" in the U.S. these days.

He cheerily dismiss the Colonies as a dystopian clusterfuck. His programs often trade in self-deprecating and self-aware humor. He is capable (on occasion) of shutting the fuck up about politics and talking about cars. He has liberal politicians on his shows, behaves himself in what would pass for a cordial manner over here, and occasionally allows said libs to talk. The things he says and writes put him proudly in the "awful troglodyte" camp, but the network he appears on acknowledges this and doesn't try to pass him off as some kind of elder sage.

Put it this way: Can you think of one U.S. right-wing pudit you'd trade Jeremy Clarkson for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    EffefEffef Who said your opinion mattered, Jones? Registered User regular

the thing you have to remember about Clarkson is that if its dumb, its probably his public persona

he is actually pretty intelligent, hes not perfect but just by existing he is already 100% better than Mitt Romney will ever be at anything

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    EffefEffef Who said your opinion mattered, Jones? Registered User regular
    basically

Clarkson = crotchety old but ultimately amicable grandpa

Romney = greedy asshole

ox30LTf.gif
This discussion has been closed.